PDA

View Full Version : Challenges

polanowj
22-02-2006, 17:57
Sorry about this - I've searched the BRB and the Direwolf faq's and here, but can't seem to find it. If I have 2 units:

XXXXX
AXXXX
YYYYB
YYYYY

Where A is the Character in unit XXXX and B is the Character in unit YYYY. If they challenge each other, step out of the combat, does someone 'step up' so there are 5 4 RnF guys attacking, or is that now empty spot remain empty for the CC until it is finally resolved as long as the remaining 4 guys in the front rank are actually in BtB contact with each other. Tx

ZomboCom
22-02-2006, 18:36
Noone steps forward, since technically they don't step out of the combat. The whole "moving the models out of the combat" thing is just a simplification to make it easier to see what's going on. Technically, the two combatants just move to next to each other in the combat, so noone can move forward, because there is no space to move forward into.

polanowj
22-02-2006, 18:43
OK, that helps (and makes sense), was playing someone and a) his character wasn't in BtB (he felt that he could still challenge) and b) when he removed his character to challenge, felt that someone else would have stepped in (even though they weren't in BtB either). Needless to say, we had a bit of a disagreement about how the challenges were supposed to work. Tx.

Edge
22-02-2006, 19:30
dont nead to be base to base, they see eachoter and move to eachother to face the challange

polanowj
22-02-2006, 19:37
I'll have to read BRB again, I didn't think they could challenge unless they were actually in the combat - e.g. if they are off the line
AXXXXX
----YYYYB (where ---- are blank spots in from of unit XXXX - sorry couldn't get them to line up correct)
then neither A or B is actually able to fight, since they aren't 'in' the combat. But will check tonite.

Bjoernes
22-02-2006, 19:53
Hi!

I think Edge just missunderstood a little... Characters does not need to be in base to base contact with eachother to fight in a challenge, but they definitivly need to be engaged in combat (fighting the regiment that contains the challenged/challenging character).... If yor character is not in combat, you can move him/her into combat in a subsequent movement phase of yours and than issue or accept a challenge..

Greetings

polanowj
22-02-2006, 19:59
ah, OK, agree - have to be in the combat someplace, not necessarily lined up with each other. Tx Bjoernes.

Keller
22-02-2006, 20:40
Hi!

I think Edge just missunderstood a little... Characters does not need to be in base to base contact with eachother to fight in a challenge, but they definitivly need to be engaged in combat (fighting the regiment that contains the challenged/challenging character).... If yor character is not in combat, you can move him/her into combat in a subsequent movement phase of yours and than issue or accept a challenge..

Greetings

Just to tidy that up a bit, your character has to be touching enemy models in order to challenge/be challenged, though not necisarrily the model whom he fights the challenge with.

renard_sawg
22-02-2006, 21:15
Ctually the characther need to be in the front line of the combat, not touching the enemy necesarly.

For example, in a flank charge.

xxxxHooo
xxxxoooo
xxxx
xxxC

X is a unit, O is a chargin unit in the flank of X and C is the characther in x, while H is the one in O, C can issue challenge to H even wehn he is not in contac with the enemy, but he is in the figthing line.

if C was in any other line, he wont be able to issue a challenge.

you must be in the line that is figthing, not necesarly touching the enmy.

This is done to discourage player to charge only one side of the unit leaving the Super powerfull characther with the sword-of-nuclear-destruction and the armor of you-canīt-touch-me out of combat, and avoid cliping and other non-sport behaivor

renard_sawg
22-02-2006, 21:18
AXXXXX
----YYYYB (where ---- are blank spots in from of unit XXXX - sorry couldn't get them to line up correct)
then neither A or B is actually able to fight, since they aren't 'in' the combat.

They are in the combat, in the front line. and they can accept and issue challenges, but canīt attack the miniatures they are not touching, unles in a challenge.

Is the same like when they are not touching the enmy, they have to move in front of each other to fight.

scatterlaser
22-02-2006, 23:28
Ctually the characther need to be in the front line of the combat, not touching the enemy necesarly.
"Note that in order to participate in a challenge, either to issue it or to meet it, a character must be fighting in combat already. This means the model must actually be positioned base-to-base against an enemy model." Rulebook, page 99.

It's not enough to be in the fighting rank - you actually have to be touching an enemy model to participate in a challenge. If a character somehow ends up out of base-to-base contact with the enemy, they're out of luck until they can move into combat in their next turn.

polanowj
23-02-2006, 02:23
thanks Scatterlaser, that was my read on the BRB also, so I didn't think renard_sawg's drawing was correct in that he couldn't challenge/respond, since he wasn't in BtB with anyone.