PDA

View Full Version : When Starting Warriors of Chaos...

Magos Errant
05-06-2010, 14:06
...and you can only afford at the moment one box set, what would you recommend, a box of Marauders, or Warriors? Why?

Thank you in advance. I'll be sure to put in a good word for you to the Chaos Gods. ;)

logan054
05-06-2010, 14:11
I would sugget you look on ebay or a online retailer first, while marauders are good for the points the models are damned awful, if you do as suggested you mght stretch that money and little more

mdiscala
05-06-2010, 14:50
Marauder horsemen? then later when you get marauders on foot you can put the horsemen heads on them and make them look better.

Zaustus
05-06-2010, 18:08
I definitely like the Warrior models better, and they're easier to paint as well.

However, the most effective way to equip Warriors is with halberd + shield, and they don't come with halberds. You can convert them from what comes in the box, but it's a bit of a pain. I think the most popular conversion is to use the lances from the Chaos Knight kit, since no one uses the lances anyway and they look quite halberdy. I, however, used the spears from the Marauder Horsemen kit, and turned them into halberds. You get 11 spears per Horsemen box, enough to equip more than a whole unit of Warriors. You also get exactly 17 unique heads in the Horsemen box, so after using 5 for the Horsemen themselves you have 12 left to add variety to your Marauder infantry units.

I'm rambling here, sorry. It would be ideal to get a box of Warriors, plus a box of either Knights or Horsemen. I realize that's outside of your restriction of one box, though. If I had to pick one I'd still say Warriors.

papabearshane
05-06-2010, 18:14
Warriors is my vote get a solid base of a couple of units the add on from there.

Kerill
05-06-2010, 18:25
Warriors- because with a bit of fiddling you can also make your sorcerors and exalteds if you want.

Magos Errant
05-06-2010, 23:25
Thanks for the tips guys!

@Logan: I'll check some online stores; thanks!

@Mdiscala: I forgot about horsemen, silly me! Thanks for the help!

@Zaustus: Your "ramble" was actually very useful; thank you!

@Papabearshane: Cheers, mate!

@Kerill: Ooh, that sounds very good. Thank you!

And because I said I would:

*Lots of chanting*

"Oh Lords of Chaos, Tzeentch, Khorne, Nurgle, and Slaanesh, bless each of these oh so helpful people.

Logan, you have been given great insight by Tzeentch in everything to do with money and stretching your gold coin! Use your power to bring about the destruction of the Empire by offering all manner of people golden gifts.

Mdiscala, Slaanesh gifts you with an excessively fast horse. Use it to raid and burn the Empire unleashing the pillaging hordes of horsemen.

Zaustus, Tzeentch gifts you with the ability to spread knowledge in an indirect way. Use your power to unwittingly cause the enemy tribes to fall!

Papabearshane, Nurgle gifts you with a cursed suit of armor allowing you to survive even the strongest blade! Use this to wade through lesser enemies such as the foolish men of the Empire.

Kerill, Tzeentch is pleased by your ability to think of changing a kit around; as such, he gives you incredible knowledge of creating very strange creatures by using your magics to mutate many a man. Use this power to cause seemingly useless mutations to turn into very strong weapons.

Khorne grants all of you lots of corn foods such as corn bread, corn chowder, etc."

In all seriousness though, thanks a lot guys! Happy pillaging of the Empire (And other places)!

Rochr
06-06-2010, 00:31
Id buy a pack of Chaos Knights :p

destroyerlord
06-06-2010, 02:04
@ Rochr: You would recommend the OP buys a Special choice as his first boxed set? Wouldn't on of the core options (warriors, marauders, m horsemen) be a wiser decision?

Rochr
06-06-2010, 02:49
@ Rochr: You would recommend the OP buys a Special choice as his first boxed set? Wouldn't on of the core options (warriors, marauders, m horsemen) be a wiser decision?

Well, he will need to buy more sooner or later to be able to play.

Chaos Knights are the only really mandatory thing in a WoC list IMO, other than the general. If you go with an infantry core you will still want a few of them. If you go with a cavarly approach... well then you gonna need a bunch of them.

It is a sure thing.

Agnar the Howler
06-06-2010, 02:55
If the 8th ed. rumors are right, then marauders might be good; equip them with HW/S and MoT and if everything goes to plan rumor-wise, you could have a good unit with a 5+ AS and a 5+ Ward Save in combat (6+ out), which beats a good lot of the marauder-level infantry you'll find.

Buuuut that's 8th edition, and it's based on rumors, so it's safer to go with a box of Warriors, their options, their models and their overall warrior-ish-y-ness would probably be better than marauders at this stage.

FictionalCharacter
06-06-2010, 16:17
...and you can only afford at the moment one box set, what would you recommend, a box of Marauders, or Warriors? Why?

Thank you in advance. I'll be sure to put in a good word for you to the Chaos Gods. ;)

i'd say it depends on which way you plan to play your army (and which models you like, etc.). the two units play totally differently. personally, i started WoC to field a small, elite force, so the decision is pretty easy for me. but that might not be what you want.

i guess just think about how you want your army to shape up in the long run.

Death Korp
06-06-2010, 16:40
Chaos Warriors. Why? 'Cause they're 'ard.

Magos Errant
07-06-2010, 01:56
Cheers for the responses all!

@Rochr: I'll try to buy some Knights when I can get the chance. They're on my "To Buy" list near the top. Khorne is pleased with your dedication to killing things with heavily armed troops such as knights and thus gives you a nice, shiny, bronze axe. :)

@destroyerlord: That was why I asked about core choices, because I knew they are a bit more important to start with then a special choice. Tzeentch is pleased with you; as such he gives you a nice thick tome on magic. :D

@Agnar: Warriors have pretty much won the contest it would seem. Tzeentch likes how you know rumors; thus he gives you a big, shiny, new golden eye in the middle of your forehead. Enjoy the new eye!

@Fictional: I'm thinking of going for a mixture of infantry and cavalry, so I'm thinking that Chaos Warriors are good. All the Chaos Gods decide to give you a book with an axe, a tentacle, and a horde of flies on it. Enjoy your bookaxetentaclefly thing. :D

@Korp: Indeed. :D The entire pantheon of Chaos Gods decide to give you something. They have decided to give you a new suit of armor, all polished and made really, really, spikey.

Thanks for the help, all and I hope you enjoy your gifts from the Dark Gods. :cool:

P.S.: I forgot to mention that I got a gift today of a Sorcerer for free! Joy!

Urdokadin
07-06-2010, 07:18
I would think the best thing to do right now, since I'm guessing you have roughly 40 some dollars saved/ available...just wait another month and save up that same amount. Do yourself a favour and just buy the Battallion box online, you can get it as cheap as 90 dollars +shipping on some sites, which really isn't that harsh considering what you get in it.

Ridarsin
07-06-2010, 07:24
My Brother plays WoC. I would recommend Chaos Knights, because like Rochr said "you'll never leave home without them." It really depends on if you go heavy infantry or mounted, I really like the look of the Warriors, but Knights are more of a practical investment.

hohenheim
07-06-2010, 20:28
I would sugget you look on ebay or a online retailer first, while marauders are good for the points the models are damned awful, if you do as suggested you mght stretch that money and little more

Does anyone use completely different GW models for marauders? Like Saurus Warriors and call them a "corrupted" spawning or weak-willed Orc Warriors under mind control by a Tzeentchian sorcerer.

mrtn
07-06-2010, 20:35
Does anyone use completely different GW models for marauders? Like Saurus Warriors and call them a "corrupted" spawning or weak-willed Orc Warriors under mind control by a Tzeentchian sorcerer.

I have a big unit of OOP metal beastmen with shields I use as marauders.

logan054
07-06-2010, 21:07

i use the old marauder models, that is however a cool idea, i have thought about using flagallents for crazy cultists

Logan, you have been given great insight by Tzeentch in everything to do with money and stretching your gold coin! Use your power to bring about the destruction of the Empire by offering all manner of people golden gifts.

lol, if you want some links i have some for english ones

FictionalCharacter
08-06-2010, 03:23
I would think the best thing to do right now, since I'm guessing you have roughly 40 some dollars saved/ available...just wait another month and save up that same amount. Do yourself a favour and just buy the Battallion box online, you can get it as cheap as 90 dollars +shipping on some sites, which really isn't that harsh considering what you get in it.

you can do better than that. i got mine for about $76 including shipping on ebay.

Gerod253
08-06-2010, 05:29
I would like to add my voice to those saying that you would be best saving up for the Battalion box. It is a great deal even at the standard cost.

If I recall correctly it comes with everything you need to start an army at 500 points and more. You can even make a General out of combining the bits you have and then you are good to go. It is one of the few 'army in a box' deals that I feel is really worth the investment. Everything is useful and works well with each other. From there you can see which units performed the way you like so you know how to expand your force when funds become available.

Urdokadin
08-06-2010, 09:09
egads, that's less than half you would pay for the contents individually at retail if my maths is right O.O

FictionalCharacter
08-06-2010, 12:40
I would like to add my voice to those saying that you would be best saving up for the Battalion box. It is a great deal even at the standard cost.

If I recall correctly it comes with everything you need to start an army at 500 points and more. You can even make a General out of combining the bits you have and then you are good to go. It is one of the few 'army in a box' deals that I feel is really worth the investment. Everything is useful and works well with each other. From there you can see which units performed the way you like so you know how to expand your force when funds become available.

that's absolutely true. convert one warrior to an exalted hero and/or one warrior to a sorcerer and you've got yourself an easy 1,000 points.

Brady
08-06-2010, 18:06
Warriors!!!! Powerrr!!! Deathhh!!! Destructionnn!!! Do I get my nice shiny ( purple ) Juggernought now? *prays*

Urdokadin
08-06-2010, 21:20
Crimson! Brass! Only a slaaneshi deluded fool would want a purple juggernaut!

Do yourself a favour as well in the future, buy the spawn kit. It is a sublimely excellent toolbox for adding mutation on to people + you can craft those spawn into near anything in the chaos warriors book.

Magos Errant
11-06-2010, 00:23
Thanks for all the tips, advice, and general help for me, people! :D

Me thinks I will save up my money and buy the Warriors of Chaos Battalion box online from Amazon; they have it for a little less then $75 but with tax and shipping it will probably be about $80.

@Brady: Lol, here yah go! :D *A massive Juggernaut appears. It is bright purple and looks half confused about its sudden change in color*

@Everyone: The Chaos Gods give you all some magical powers, weapons, armor and lots of other blessed (corrupted) objects. :D If magic is not your thing, Khorne tells me he can give you a skull that can be used as a goblet. :angel: