PDA

View Full Version : Euipping my Empire General on a Griffon

Templar47
06-06-2010, 00:10
Well as it says above, I'm planning on trying out a Empire General on a Griffon for the first time and I'm really excited to see what it can do. Now this it what I was thinking about equipping him with but I'm still not sureif it's the way to go. I'd appreciate your advice and thnxs for your time.

General:
-w/Sword of Might, AOMI, Laurels of Victory, Griffon

Now this comes out to 375 points, and with it I will have a grand total of 7 S5 attacks being dished out each combat phase, with 3 of them having the possibility to cause double the wounds for CC resolution.

papabearshane
06-06-2010, 02:56
I like the set-up, only bad thing is no ward save. But cant have everything.

Rochr
06-06-2010, 03:01
Sword of Righteous Steel
AOMI
Holy Relic

Thats what I would have done, 1+ save is too risky for such an expensive guy imo. This way he can still do a wound or maybe two. It is the Griffon that will do the killing anyway :)

phoenixguard09
06-06-2010, 03:05
Would you consider dropping the sword of might for a halberd because it would be cheaper wouldn't it? Sorry I don't know the points but I imagine it would be because I think the sword is 20.

ooglatjama
06-06-2010, 03:07
Where's the speculum, aren't generals notoriously low-statted?

papabearshane
06-06-2010, 03:14
ws5 s4 t4 w3 isnt to bad................I have to say a more defensive General would be better. Only problem is Generals are there more for leadership then anything else.

Templar47
06-06-2010, 07:19
Well, he cant take a halberd for one, and the SOM is only 15. The only other option for me would be a GW, but then I would be striking last if I couldn't break my opponent in CC.

Leogun_91
06-06-2010, 07:45
Well, he cant take a halberd for one, and the SOM is only 15. The only other option for me would be a GW, but then I would be striking last if I couldn't break my opponent in CC.Shouldn't be too much of a problem as charging large units in the front won't be a good idea anyway.

theunwantedbeing
06-06-2010, 10:31
Interesting setup.
I'de personally swap his Sword of Might for a Lance and a Pistol.

Mainly as its st6 when you charge, not st5 and you get a shooting attack that almost always hits on a 2+.

Urgat
06-06-2010, 11:22
ws5 s4 t4 w3 isnt to bad................I have to say a more defensive General would be better. Only problem is Generals are there more for leadership then anything else.

Well let's assume he just means lord and the point allowance is enough to take that dude plus a general on foot (possible at 2250 pts with 100pts of magic items for both). Imho (I stress that, the following is just my opinion) it's the same thing as an orc on wyvern. You either want to do massive damage, or you want to play conservative and stick for a few turns. let's be honest, griffons, like wyverns, aren't very resilient, and with the two ranks+stepping up, they won't last long. So massive damage is probably better. Now, what do you want him to do, trash units, hunt characters, a bit of both?

Von Wibble
06-06-2010, 21:08
Well as it says above, I'm planning on trying out a Empire General on a Griffon for the first time and I'm really excited to see what it can do. Now this it what I was thinking about equipping him with but I'm still not sureif it's the way to go. I'd appreciate your advice and thnxs for your time.

General:
-w/Sword of Might, AOMI, Laurels of Victory, Griffon

Now this comes out to 375 points, and with it I will have a grand total of 7 S5 attacks being dished out each combat phase, with 3 of them having the possibility to cause double the wounds for CC resolution.

I'd say the Laurels aren't a good idea. With only 3 attacks that's only 2 hitting, and probably only 1 kill.

An empire general, even one on a griffon, is never going to win combats on his own, unless engaging enemies in the flank or rear. In those scenarios, you should be throwing him into combat with the mindset of breaking the enemy quickly. Alternative engage skirmishers and the like.

Therefore for weaponry I'd just take a lance. For armour, shield and full plate. I'd then have a Holy Relic or Shroud of Magnus, depending on how worried you are about magic. More protection than this shouldn't be too necessary - the Griffon dies quite quickly to shooting so you should aim to keep out of sight/ range!

Finally, and I consider this an optional complonent, I would have Aldred's Casket or a Doomfire Ring. This again depends on how you think your magic phase stacks up with the enemies.

One boost you should get in 8th edition is an 18" Ld radius. Therefore as an alternative you could just have 3+ save, white cloak and lance, and keep at the back, using the general as a terror causing reserve and ld bubble. Dragon Bow or at least a longbow or pistol would be a decent idea to give something to do in the shooting phase.