PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen -8th edition

Time of Madness
06-06-2010, 04:32
Making a core heavy list for 8th edition with the beastmen.

CHARACTERS

Beastlord
- Steel Claws
- Trollhide
- Gouge-Tusks
= 245pts

*A regenerating Beastlord who packs upwards of 7 S5 armour peircing attacks.

Wargor (BSB)
- Heavy Armour/shield
- Sword of Might
- Ramhorn Helm
- Gnarled Hide
= 166pts

*My Favourite BSB build - 3 S5 attacks with a 1+ save. For every save I pass he makes another attack.

Bray Shaman
- Staff of Sorcery (+1 to dispel attempts)
= 115pts

*The staff is going to be a better option then scrolls I think.

CORE

20 Gors
- Full Command
- Extra Hand Weapons
= 185pts

25 Ungors
- Full Command
- Spears
= 165pts

25 Ungors
- Full Command
- Spears
= 165pts

7 Ungor Raiders
- Musician
= 45pts

7 Ungor Raiders
- Musician
= 45pts

Tuskgor Chariot
= 80pts

Tuskgor Chariot
= 80pts

SPECIAL

18 Bestigors
***General and bsb here***
- Full Command
- Warbanner
= 271pts

3 Minotaurs
- Great Weapons
= 189pts

3 Minotaurs
- Great Weapons
= 189pts

5 Harpies
= 55pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1995pts

4 Solid infantry units which I'm hoping can be supported by the chariots/minotaurs/raiders/harpies.

Anyone like it?

Time of Madness

nick_robinsonchia
06-06-2010, 05:32
Hey man,

I like the general feel of the list and it is something similar to what I would do myself. Personally I can't stand regular ungors. I'd switch them for 15 man gor units with AHW and std, mus or put the characters in these units instead.Ungor raiders are rockin the more the merrier. Are u planning on running the beastigor 5x4? I can't help but feel the beastigor don't need the characters support. Primal fury + attacking in two ranks make them pretty solid on their lonesome. Also I feel they are better running wider. If u are wanting a ranked unit I'd put them in ungors for the much cheaper static CR.

Question for ya- I like ur BSB build and is one that I would use myself... On a gorbull. Seeing as the gorbull bestows frenzy but negates primal fury the optimal place for a mino bsb would be in a unit of pumbagors. Can he go in there? I can't find any reason why he couldn't... I knw he sorta neuters their movement but otherwise they sorta can get unsupported... What are ur thoughts on this?

N

Time of Madness
09-06-2010, 12:38
The 25 man strong ungor units are there because of the changes to ranked infantry in 8th edition. I still think they may be too small.

Not sure on the pumbagors, they don't really need minotaur support.
Time of Madness

Satan
09-06-2010, 13:03
I really like this list... I think my future one will be quite similiar, but with one less 25 ungor unit and an extra chariot or something like that instead...

And a giant. But then again we usually play our games at 2250.

~PrometheuS~
09-06-2010, 15:56
Bestigors are pretty **** should drop them and spend points elsewhere, and i doubt the will get better in 8th

maaksel
09-06-2010, 16:50
Bestigors are pretty **** should drop them and spend points elsewhere, and i doubt the will get better in 8th

Any more 'elite' infantry automatically got better in 8th as they can now attack back once charged.

This list looks pretty sound, but your magic defense isn't that great in my eyes, but you're quick enough to be into them within the 2nd turn (hopefully).

I would recommend playing this list as is, then trying it with a horde of 40 gors to see how they work for beastmen. After reading the beast book ~2 months ago, I decided against them and went Empire. If the errata makes them any better, and the bsb reroll panic etc changes, they may be much more viable. Although, I'm secretly plotting to do TK =)

Kaelarr
09-06-2010, 17:07
I wouldnt split the minotaurs up, id keep them in 1 unit of 2 ranks, as they can all attack in 8th. Plus its a lot more work to get rid of them and they become seriously scary, 6 minotaurs attack plus 6 stomps? Thats gunna hurt, plus bonus combat res for rank and fear.

Id also dump the bestigor and put in another gor herd. They are cheap enough to go for blocks of 6x5, dont forget you count ranks after combat and if you have more ranks then the opp you are stubborn, so esp for armies like the goats, the more the merrier.

Dont count on the staff of sorcery being in the new common items as it works now, try and squeeze another bray shaman in.

The last 4 army books were released with 8th ed in mind, so dont expect much errata!

LevDaddy
09-06-2010, 20:32
I like the overall feel to this list too. You have a bit of everything, very balanced, especially if those core can hold the middle (assuming no ambush), and I am a big fan of seeing what Bestigors can do in 8th. A lot of people are knocking them and Centigors, but I'm a fan of their potential.

Aren't there some rumors that you add your caster level to Dispel and Casting rolls? If so, that would make the staff useless compared to an extra magic level...something to think aout. Where is the Shammy going? Happy hunting!