PDA

View Full Version : Tentative 2500 8th Ed. Mounted empire.

nick_robinsonchia
06-06-2010, 04:58
Hey all,

I'm a bit worried about my long term projects viability come 8th Ed. It is a HEAVILY coverted project which I am spending a very long time on. I like many others are in the process of converting my 7th Ed army to 8th. Couple of rules which revolve around the theme.

No infantry.(very worried about being able to complete hold missions...)
No stank(ITs an all terrain strike force...)
Competitive yet not cheesy.(this is why I'm posting the list...)

Lords 21.44%
ARchlector - WarAltar, AOMI, GW 256p
Wizlord - Steed, Rod of power, DS lvl 4 280p

Hero 13.68%
Warrior Priest - Heavy armour, Barded steed, Sh, GW 114p

Core
9 GW Knights - Std., Mus 231p

Special 28.36%
2 Cannons 200p
1 Mortar 75p
5 Outriders - mus 113p
5 Outriders - mus 113p
5 Pistoliers - mus,ch 104p
5 Pistoliers - mus,ch 104p

Rare - 8.8%
Hellblaster
Hellblaster

Game plan is pretty obvious. Use the Priest/knight units as soft hammers to smash aside support and weak units while the missile troops/magic take apart the threatening elements of the opponents army. Pistoliers to disrupt and Walter to tarpit. Knights roll around and threaten rare as things are taken apart.

Thoughts?

N

Cannon

Walls
06-06-2010, 18:51
I think the small blocks of knights as core are going to get chewed to pieces personally. they'll mean nothing when they are fighting stubborn opponents every single round, that are generally attacking first against you, slowing whittling you down and giving your gunline nothing to shoot at. I think the gunline/knight days of 7th are a goner. You also have NO way of contesting objectives.

I am playing Empire and have been thinking of how to use Knights still. They can't be the core of your army anymore and are moreso a hammer now to your state troops anvil.

papabearshane
07-06-2010, 01:36
I have to say that i like your Army set up but not if the rumours are true..................Knights will be alot better in suport roles as they will be hitting stubborn opponents. Other then this if you are still wanting to try this army my only words are FLANK CHARGE.....................Every Time.

Jaarl
07-06-2010, 01:55
In 7th ed., I think this list would work (as long as I am NOt rolling the dice :p), but my experience with Empire would say... add Greatswords. They are great :D

nick_robinsonchia
07-06-2010, 14:37
Thx for the response guys. Yeah like I said I'm worried about these guys in 8th. Thing is the modelling and theme ensures I can't use any foot troops... So even thigh I know it would be more effective I simply can't use them. I will try them out come 8th Ed but don't. Have high hopes for my all mounted force. Those knight units will never go into the front of a big unit. They are there for flanks and smaller units while the guns fake the big boys. I think I will need to see exactly what changes before I can try and sort out such a specialized list. Warriors of chaos have always been my main list but this was a fun distraction.

Thanks again

N

Jaarl
08-06-2010, 02:40
Hello again.

I also tried a mounted army some time ago, and even with the expected changes in 8th ed. (of which we cannot be sure yet), I think it can work.

Knights are quite a good option: core, good armour save, the extra attack from the mounts, magical banner... And if you wanna make some of them IC, I would suggest getting a Master Templar, which I believe is the best combat warrior in the Empire list (plus 100 points of magical items).

Plus you can always use outriders to flank. I've tried a 10-man unit and the fire power they throw on any single target is amazing. If they get charged and can hold-an-shoot, they might never get charged at all!! And if they cannot shoot... well, 3D6 should ensure that your enemy misses his charge :D

The drawback from this army... static combat resolution. You better charge a single enemy regiment with at least two of your knights units, or the odds are they will run. If you manage to negate ranks, plus the bonus for flanking, and have enough knights to outnumber... they rock. If not, start adding things to make sure they will rally next turn, or they might get back charged... :S

Another comment: Even when somebody plays an infantry army, chances are they will add some cavalry. Why not the other way around? A single greatsword regiment, with a warrior priest and two dettachments to flank charge the enemy could do lots in the middle of your battle line. Even more if they are supported on both sides by big units of knights. What I mean is: Yeah, a cavalry army... with a bit of support?? :D (And a mortar cannot be considered as cavalry, can it? ;))

Anyway, keep us informed of how your army works. And good luck with it :D

Cheers!

nick_robinsonchia
08-06-2010, 23:21
Hello again.

I also tried a mounted army some time ago, and even with the expected changes in 8th ed. (of which we cannot be sure yet), I think it can work.I have a feeling it might as well but will need alot more finesse than previously. Target selection will become a much higher priority.

Knights are quite a good option: core, good armour save, the extra attack from the mounts, magical banner... And if you wanna make some of them IC, I would suggest getting a Master Templar, which I believe is the best combat warrior in the Empire list (plus 100 points of magical items).Actually I need to leave them core to fill the 25% requirements. That being said I think Its likely better to leave them cheaper anyhow. With Great weapons doing +2 Strength While mounted now and with a 2+ armor save the White wolves are a strong option... if against the right enemy unit lol

Plus you can always use outriders to flank. I've tried a 10-man unit and the fire power they throw on any single target is amazing. If they get charged and can hold-an-shoot, they might never get charged at all!! And if they cannot shoot... well, 3D6 should ensure that your enemy misses his charge :D

Haha ive used 10 as well and the share amount of destruction they reaped on my poor brothers darkelf monster/ combat infantry list was hilarious!!! I have two units of 5 atm - with the lifting of slot restrictions, no partials, seemingly more spells to hamper a units shooting and improved basic shooting I think minimum number multiple units is the safer bet. Still i had so much fun rolling that many dice lol.

The drawback from this army... static combat resolution. You better charge a single enemy regiment with at least two of your knights units, or the odds are they will run. If you manage to negate ranks, plus the bonus for flanking, and have enough knights to outnumber... they rock. If not, start adding things to make sure they will rally next turn, or they might get back charged... :S Yup thats it right there, the knights really will only work against weak troops in the front. Its all about the flanks with this army. I think some of the new rules - if the rumors are correct - will help the army out alot. Specifically reforming instead of pursuing - this takes a leadership test but the knights have decent ld to start with coupled with a war alter AL being a large target and the ld bubble expanding to 18 on top of a BSB allowing rerolls to any leadership tests ...might be the ray of sunshine for an rmy like this. Do you think 3 units of 9 w/ priest will be better or 2 units of 14 w/ priest? If i went for the larger units they might be more unwieldy however they are can take some losses before their flanking potential is diminished. It would also free me up the points on the third priest which might be the clincher. Saying that they will be a little more unwieldy and also have less options number of units wise. Thoughts?

Another comment: Even when somebody plays an infantry army, chances are they will add some cavalry. Why not the other way around? A single greatsword regiment, with a warrior priest and two dettachments to flank charge the enemy could do lots in the middle of your battle line. Even more if they are supported on both sides by big units of knights. What I mean is: Yeah, a cavalry army... with a bit of support?? :D (And a mortar cannot be considered as cavalry, can it? ;))

Anyway, keep us informed of how your army works. And good luck with it :D

Cheers!

I might as well tell you how Ive modelled them and the theme ive gone for so you can see why infantry wont fit at all.

Basically the army is centred around the 'Next Step' for the mighty Empire. It is Karl Franz's rapid response all terrain counter to internal threats. It is comprised of a full company of steam powered walkers. Ridiculously expensive to outfit but deadly in the extreme the force can go anywhere, places regular cavalry/stanks couldnt go at a steady plodding pace that can be kept up for days without need for rest.

I have kit bashed the crap out of imperial guard/witch and demon hunters and empire kits (mainly bought on ebay from the bitz store) to get a suitably medieval feel to it.

War Alter uses the High inquisitor on throne (forget the name) as its base with suitable adjustments for the fantasy setting. (I.e guns filed off, lights and electircal wiring gone etc.)

Knights have been replaced with penitent engines as a base model (usually using a monster base for every two knights with single cavlary bases there as well for removing casualties. This was the hardest part in the army to model. I am still looking for suitably large weapons in quantities to represent the greatswords the knights will use.

Outriders/pistoliers ride to war on lightly armored walkers (base model was the sentinel) whilst the artilary have been modeled around the heavier dreadnought legs (to absorb the recoil) but with an open platform on top for the crew to operate the machines.

Honestly its been the most ambitious project Ive worked on (its ongoing taking it slow.....) but the combination looks amazing (well to me anyway lol). The Bitz store on ebay has really helped me out and made this alot cheaper than i thought possible. I do need to do alot of work on the penitant engines/knigths tho as its hard to find them on ebay and retail is expensive :(

Hey Jaarl thanks for the long response anyway! Comments in Red - Thx for the feedback man.

N