PDA

View Full Version : Latest Black Gobbo

Randallw
26-05-2005, 04:15
I don't like to be critical, but I feel I need to pass comment. I've heard people say this before, but I found the latest BG dissapointing. In particular the article on Pre-Heresy Marines. I read the description of the latest issue and saw, to my delight, an entry for pre-heresy marines. I eagerly went to look at it and was dissapointed to find it was the same models on display as in Oz WD a few months ago. Is BG now doomed to show the same old articles as appeared previously in WD?. I look back with fondness at such articles as how to weather tanks and model environmental effects on armour.

sulla
26-05-2005, 05:03
I totally agree. As of this moment, I am no longer going to pay for Black Gobbo. I am also going to give up on milk products in protest till GW use more of their resources on free stuff! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sprue Rubbles
26-05-2005, 05:16
hmm, I actually thought it was their best issue in a long time. I loved the Lustria heroes and the pre-heresy stuff was inspiring. I didn't know that WD had it prior.

plus, a free Catachan Codex (even though I hate them, it's free!)

Considering that it's free and usually at least one article is useful, I really can't complain.

Randallw
26-05-2005, 05:45
Well I guess I can admit that the other articles are useful, if you were interested in them (though the Catachans didn't need to fill up a slot, available as they are from the web site). I was just dissapointed in the 40K article being from an old WD.

Brimstone
26-05-2005, 06:25
I was just dissapointed in the 40K article being from an old WD.

An old Australian WD it's never been in the UK WD and I'm not sure about the US one.

I'm all for country specific articles being released online, at least we get to see them.

john-connors
26-05-2005, 08:39
I would have preferred some text to go with the article on pre-Heresy Marines; describing which models they used to convert them, etc. Pictures alone only tell half a story, and if the article was in a previous (Oz) White Dwarf there must have been an article to back it up?

Randallw
26-05-2005, 09:21
On the BG site it says the models were shown previously in US WD300. AS for when it was in OZ WD, I believe it was just a heresy article with a 2 page spread of the different conversions exampling each legion. Looking again I now realise they have included the pre-painted models to show the different bits.

philbrad2
26-05-2005, 11:20
Weren't these on the Spainsh GW website a few months back??? I can confirm they've never appeared in UKWD. We know Guy Haley has been trying to get articles form non UK WD's published in Blighty for a good while now. We've finally had the Blood Ravens IA article and the Withunter Zealot rules. I'm with BRIMSTONE I'd like to see country specific articles on the GW websites if they are not going to be reprinted. GW has gone big time into providing online resource and hobby info. A number of people still moan about the website content, I just wonder how they'ed have got on looking at the GW webiste 4 or 5 years back??? I remember the site back in 1997 when it was little more than a few web pages.

Some good conversions in the pre-heresy stuff. Love the pre-heresy Imp. Fist. I really must do a couple of those for my Vets. Anyone know where the claw on the Iron Warrior is from?

The article on the SM TIE Fighters... sorry I mean Landspeeders is quite funky too. :D

:chrome:

Gregorus
26-05-2005, 11:28
I find the BG increasingly uninteresting... I mean, wait 2 weeks since the last one only to read 3 pages about adding wings to a land speeder? come on GW, you can do better than this...

about that heresy stuff, it was quite... inspiring. And for it appearing in WD not everybody is subscribing the Oz one, you know

erion
26-05-2005, 12:01
Jesus people. It's free online content, at least some of which hasn't been seen before. I'm starting to believe you would bitch if you were handed $1000 worth of models of your choice, gratis because then you'd have to assemble and paint them.

Kzer-Za
26-05-2005, 16:46
I agree with Erion...
It's free for crying out loud...
Stop shouting, and be thankful for any useful material found there at all!

For the first part, not every WD is the same, and if it is in Australia's WD and not in the US or UK ones that means that for the majority of the gamers in the whole world this is news!

And not everyone lives close enough to a GW retailer or have the opportunity to subscribe for WD (without it being ridiculusly expensive!). For them this is a godsend!

And when we're looking at content?
Catachan is perhaps not the most played army, but...
I like the trend of making codexes downloadable, and hope they continue with it... Then the rules will be upgraded more readily and we would perhaps not have to wait so long between each upgrade!

For those of us making chaos we use models that are supposed to be 10K years old, and seeing what they were at the time gives us ideas of cool conversions for our models using older armour variants.

Zombies can be used in 40K and Warhammer, so that can be helpful no matter what system you play... Even if you don't play chaos there are creature features for including them as antagonists anyway.

Perhaps there are people who were looking for cool new ways of doing landspeeders, and for them this is a godsend!

I'm not saying that every article is useful to you with every issue, but this isn't necessarily all about you and your miniatures... They are trying to please all the gamers out there by supplying a varied content, and are so far doing a good job in my mind!

Again... Sorry if people get offended by any of this, or feel that I'm flaming, but I get annoyed when people are complaining about stuff they get for free...

My 2 cents...

Kzer-Za

lredman
26-05-2005, 16:50
I agree with Erion...
It's free for crying out loud...
Stop shouting, and be thankful for any useful material found there at all!

Amen to that!

alterion
26-05-2005, 18:03
heck tis better than white dwarf.. most of the articles are not adverts like wd is.. and it is free..
some fo the old aritcles on scnery and the imperial gurad ( the chimera conversion ones stick out) were far superior to anything i have read in wd for a long time..

Randallw
27-05-2005, 02:58
Yeah your right. It's free so there isn't much reason to complain.

grizzly ruin
27-05-2005, 07:05
I find the BG increasingly uninteresting... I mean, wait 2 weeks since the last one only to read 3 pages about adding wings to a land speeder? come on GW, you can do better than this...

It's

a

free

webzine

:rolleyes:

Inquis. Jaeger
28-05-2005, 00:27
Loved it. Much better than the WHFB stuff we've had recently. And did anyone see that pre-heresy Imp Fist?!! Whoo-mama!! I'd like an army of those. Sadly I'm lazy...

lredman
28-05-2005, 18:24
did anyone see that pre-heresy Imp Fist?!! Whoo-mama!! I'd like an army of those

Agreed. I've always thought an Imperial Fists army would look great, but they need to be painted in just the right way or the yellow looks terrible. Unfortunately yellow is not a colour I can paint well.

Oh well, one day maybe...

tzeentchgiant
28-05-2005, 18:32
Even though its about a fiftyith of the size, it's better tan a lot of the WDs of late, I liked it even though I'm not really into whats in it at the moment.

*a quick calculation.*

There were twice as many pages of advertising in the UK white dwarf as there were pages in the Entire BG.

Dissapointed with WD more than anything, but I suppose I shouldn't drag this thread into the bitchy slump that can often occur.

TG