PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question (WoC)

Krom The Eternal
07-06-2010, 02:27
Ok so i was scheming about nasty Units and I Came up with this. A Unit of 20x or so Chaos Warriors With Great Weapons + Shields then Throw Sigvald The Magnificent in there would that make a totally BAMF Unit I mean i dont have my book near me but I believe Sigvald has ASF and any Unit He joins can freely move through terrain chances of him failing his stupidity test are marginally slim so the way i see it this would be a brutal unit as Great Weapons Strike Last But Sigvald would strike first and can would open up a can of whoop A## so the warriors would just clean up the rest what do you guys think?

Heimagoblin
07-06-2010, 07:51
Lots of poinys in a march blockable infantry unit. The opponent would leave it be and kill the rest of your army.

Eta
07-06-2010, 10:28
Lots of poinys in a march blockable infantry unit. The opponent would leave it be and kill the rest of your army.

You cannot march block a unit with Sigvald. They may always march and ignore difficult terrain. But it IS a points sink.

@OP: I'd equip the warriors with halberds. Use their high initiative.

Greetings
Eta

darkstar
07-06-2010, 13:13
Don't forget, that unit also is stubborn at leadership 10. Yeah. Mark of Slaanesh is probably best to avoid the only way I've ever seen that unit beaten (flanking fiends) Beaten in combat by an outnumbering fear causing enemy. Fear those words.

reddevil18
07-06-2010, 14:03
I didnt think you could use great weapons and sheilds at the same time as the great weapon is two handed?
Tho you could use the sheilds to get across the battlefeild and protect yourself from ranged attacked once you get into combat you had to decide which one you will use and cant swap during that combat?

teleologica
07-06-2010, 14:10
The Chosenstar is one of the first 'ZOMGTHAT'SCOOL!' units that many of us came up with when first looking through the book.

Sadly it has many of the characteristics of a deathstar unit without the benefits.

i.e. it's stupid expensive, most of your army's points (potentially), is insanely dangerous, and nigh-unbeatable in combat. You can also mitigate some of its' weaknesses by taking Rapturous standard (meaning it only runs from combat on exactly an 11 with a reroll), and/or Mark/Slaanesh; Festus or a standard Nurgle sorc for regen; Blasted Standard perhaps with Mark/Tzeentch for 5++ or 4++ from ranged.

However, the problems are that it doesn't have ALL the things you'd want in a deathstar (Blackguard with toys being a good example). It's slow, so will generally not get the charge except at disposable redirectors. No ASF (except on Sigvald) meaning chargers can do the damage to whittle them down. Reliant on in-game rolling to get the multiple saves that makes them indestructible. No in-built MR - adding yet another character with Collar is even more points. No ITP means the dreaded outnumbering fear-causer effect can come into play, unless you have frenzy, and that brings its own problems. Nurgle can mitigate shooting, but leaves you without immunities to psychology.

In short, as people above have said, it looks great but you are putting an insane amount of points into something that a good opponent will avoid while killing your chaff. Even worse, if he can get fear-causing blocks into front and flank (not terrible difficult with certain armies esp undead) and it is literally game over from one combat.

Things may change a bit under 8th, but as we are still firmly in unconfirmed rumour territory, I'm not going to go there ... ;)

LordoftheBrassThrone
17-06-2010, 13:00
So byt the time you've got that unit and Sigvald, you've paid over 800 points for a unit with M4, that I will simply charge in the rear with a unit either impossible to kill or difficult to break and watch your prize unit get run around as it is pinned in place. With my army I'll never get rid of it, but I'll destroy the rest of your army and get a minimum of 1200 VPs. Only viable in a game of at least 5000 points really.

LordoftheBrassThrone
18-06-2010, 02:12
I didnt think you could use great weapons and sheilds at the same time as the great weapon is two handed?
Tho you could use the sheilds to get across the battlefeild and protect yourself from ranged attacked once you get into combat you had to decide which one you will use and cant swap during that combat?

You are correct... though who honestly knows how this may change in 8th. You may be able to change weapons in each round. Not heard nything to support this, but it's possible, I'm not believing anything until I get the new rulebook in my hand.

Paraelix
18-06-2010, 02:37
Lore o' Metal. Your unit dies.

(in 8th more than 7th)

And in 8th... Siggy won't put out enough damage to deplete the attacks from the opposing units. You'll still get as smacked as a smaller Warrior unit, and you already have stubborn >_>