PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: New Orc Warboss due to enforced retirement...

BigbyWolf
07-06-2010, 11:01
Thanks to an unforseen accident my usual Orc Warboss is going to be out of commision for a while, so I've been trying to come up with something a little different to the bosses I normally run. So with that in mind I've gone for this:

Savage Orc Warboss- Armour of Gork, Extra Choppa, Bid 'Eds Kickin' Boots, Collar of Zorga- 216 points.

He's going to be fielded on foot in a unit of Savage Orcs (size undecided as of yet...I do only currently have 15 S.Orcs though), and I reckon he'll be able to do quite well. In the first turn of combat he churns out an impressive 7 S6 attacks (S5 in subsequent rounds) and has a 6+ save(oooh...), a 6+ ward (aaah...), and toughness 6 to make up for his pathetic save. Also the Collar will help out against anything a bit too big and gribbly.

So, any thoughts/suggestions?

AramilSairSianontel
07-06-2010, 12:04
Methinks your Sorc boss should find himself a wyvern buddy, and the axe of no AS.
:)

Still if you intent to use him on foot, u should think that this unit is frenzied-and that isn't always a good thing, especially when your strong unit and your general chase a HE eagle, or chaos warhounds of 50-60 pts in the woods away from the fray of battle.
Screening is always an option, but unless you use snotlings, anything else is subject to animosity, and that means that your lord would just sit there bec the wolf riders in front of him lost animocity.

lordmetroid
07-06-2010, 12:26
Looks like a very interesting Warboss, Got a lot of character and seems to be really personal. I think the High toughness is probably going to help him a lot more than a high save. After all the evilness usually thrown against characters usually do negate the save anyway.

Do you have plans to make a savage orc themed army cause this kind of Warboss simply screams, "give me a savage orcs and forest goblins to team up with."

ColShaw
07-06-2010, 15:09
I use an almost-identical Warboss; Savage Orc, Armor of Gork, Kickin' Boots, Collar of Zorga, Great Weapon.

I figure that with 6 attacks already, the Great Weapon provides the Strength to really make those attacks hurt. And the Savage Orc Boss model with a little conversion can make a great Warboss.

BigbyWolf
07-06-2010, 15:18
I use an almost-identical Warboss; Savage Orc, Armor of Gork, Kickin' Boots, Collar of Zorga, Great Weapon.

I figure that with 6 attacks already, the Great Weapon provides the Strength to really make those attacks hurt. And the Savage Orc Boss model with a little conversion can make a great Warboss.

Either/or, really...the main reason it has an extra choppa instead of a G/W is because the model I'm going to use is a pretty nifty conversion from an Orc Shaman. I just prefer the idea of him whirling around like a madman with a pair of axes and making mincemeat of infantry.

Looks like a very interesting Warboss, Got a lot of character and seems to be really personal. I think the High toughness is probably going to help him a lot more than a high save. After all the evilness usually thrown against characters usually do negate the save anyway.

Do you have plans to make a savage orc themed army cause this kind of Warboss simply screams, "give me a savage orcs and forest goblins to team up with."

Yeah, I wanted the 2xChoppa bonus, so decided to take him on foot, meaning the best save I could get anyway would be 6+ for light armour, and he already has a 6+ ward so I didn't really want to pay 30 points upgrading him to a 5+ ward. I figured the best way to go would be the Armour of Gork, or the item that makes you -1 to hit in CC, and the armour won out thanks to my desire to have a model on foot who's almost as hard as a dragon!

I'd love to have a full S.Orc army, but since the majority of my old minatures were "liberated" by thieving scrotes I only have a handful of them left (and no Forest Goblins on foot). Perhaps when they're back in plastic I can invest again.

Methinks your Sorc boss should find himself a wyvern buddy, and the axe of no AS.
:)

Still if you intent to use him on foot, u should think that this unit is frenzied-and that isn't always a good thing, especially when your strong unit and your general chase a HE eagle, or chaos warhounds of 50-60 pts in the woods away from the fray of battle.
Screening is always an option, but unless you use snotlings, anything else is subject to animosity, and that means that your lord would just sit there bec the wolf riders in front of him lost animocity.

Alternatively, If I mount him on a Wyvern I then have something that can be baited from 20" away! No, foot is good enough for me...I've used enough Wyverns over the years anyway (and the General I've just retired was on one...).

I've got more than enough things to deal with baiters, and I usually ignore animosity when I play anyway (not the actual rule, I just plan my game as if it didn't exist), so the frenzy factor doesn't worry me too much.

happy_doctor
07-06-2010, 15:32
I like the idea, he looks very durable. The main problem I see is facing other tooled-out combat characters. These will have enough strength/attacks to bypass the Toughness 6 issue and the collar of Zorga doesn't work either. So there's a chance that your warboss won't get to strike against, say, Ogre Tyrants, Vampire Lords, Chaos Lords and the such.

If I were you I'd consider the Iron Gnashas instead of the Boots; you'd be losing a single attack and gaining what I like to call character insurance. Taking this a bit further, perhaps Martog's Best Basha would be a suitable weapon? It would give him WS7 (good vs characters) and a standard Strength 6, instead of strength 6 just for the first round of combat.

Urgat
07-06-2010, 17:30
The savage orc warboss I've tried was with the sword of +1A, mounted on a boar, because I wanted him to dish out as many attacks as possible. I also tried him on a vyvern (jumping from house to house for a couple turns so it wouldn't be baited), but my opponent banned him after he flank charged a unit of chaos ogres, pursued, flank charged marauders, pursued, flank charged chaos warriors, pursued, half the army killed in three turns before the battle was over, by just one guy :p

rtunian
07-06-2010, 20:25
If I were you I'd consider the Iron Gnashas instead of the Boots; you'd be losing a single attack and gaining what I like to call character insurance. Taking this a bit further, perhaps Martog's Best Basha would be a suitable weapon? It would give him WS7 (good vs characters) and a standard Strength 6, instead of strength 6 just for the first round of combat.

he wants the 2x choppas though. so unless the magic items rules change, allowing you to use an additional hand weapon with a magic weapon, he would not be able to dual wield.

Malorian
07-06-2010, 20:34
The two choppas are nice until you get into protracted combats, and they also don't have the str to auto-kill chariots, that's why I like the cheap great weapon option.

If you are doing it based on a model with two choppas though then your setup is fine.

papabearshane
07-06-2010, 21:26
Go with The model and Gaming BE DAMNED!

ColShaw
07-06-2010, 21:38
I also put my SO Warboss in a unit of Night Gobbos with Nets...

Effective Toughness 7 :D!

I like fighting S5 guys who still need 6s to wound...

Felworth
08-06-2010, 17:57
I also put my SO Warboss in a unit of Night Gobbos with Nets...

Effective Toughness 7 :D!

I like fighting S5 guys who still need 6s to wound...

Ooooh thats just mean.

A little embarassing for the Savage Orc but still, worth trying...

theorox
08-06-2010, 19:26
I would drop the kicking boots for the amulet of protectyness! Seriously, you have enough attacks already.

Theo

lordmetroid
09-06-2010, 00:40
If you want your Savage Orc Warboss to act alone you could put him in a Night Goblin unit but then he would be the damage doer. If you want to enhance an already capable unit then he would probably be best placed in a Savage Orc unit or something alike.

ColShaw
09-06-2010, 14:42
I would drop the kicking boots for the amulet of protectyness! Seriously, you have enough attacks already.

Theo

I disagree. That can lose you the Ward save from the warpaint, by a strict reading of Amulet of Protectyness (you NEVER take your own saves), so might actually give you LESS protection in some circumstances. You'd probably be better off with the Best Boss's 'At, if anything, but I'd still go with the Kickin' Boots.

The more attacks, the better. Gork will protect you!

(Seriously, at a tournament once, I made 3 6+ Ward saves in a row to keep my SO Warboss alive. Gork was looking over his shoulder and cheering.)

theorox
09-06-2010, 14:58
I disagree. That can lose you the Ward save from the warpaint, by a strict reading of Amulet of Protectyness (you NEVER take your own saves), so might actually give you LESS protection in some circumstances. You'd probably be better off with the Best Boss's 'At, if anything, but I'd still go with the Kickin' Boots.

The more attacks, the better. Gork will protect you!

(Seriously, at a tournament once, I made 3 6+ Ward saves in a row to keep my SO Warboss alive. Gork was looking over his shoulder and cheering.)

Depends how you read it methinks. Hmm...Yeah. on the other hand, who do you want your warboss to kill? If its core troops like ungors or empire soldiers, then they will not cleave through "their own" armour, as long as they have handweapons.

If it's characters, they might have a 2+ (or 1+) AS And say str5. That is a save on a 3+. Not to mention they might have a ward.

It only really is worse against Warmachines and such things as...the Hochland longrifle.

;)

Theo

Malorian
09-06-2010, 15:00
I've never had anyone have a problem with me taking my 6+ ward if it was better than what the amulet was giving me.

Dark Aly
10-06-2010, 13:07
i love the idea of the slightly embarrased SO with the night gobbos. frenzy and humiliated that is one mixed up orc

ColShaw
10-06-2010, 14:34
It's both hilarious and awesome. People in my area blinked at him when he first showed up, but they respect him now, ever since the Night Goblin unit went toe-to-toe with a unit of Temple Guard and Slaan, and wiped them out. The TG were using halberds, hoping to break me in one round, and I kept rolling well for nets. The Night Gobbos would go first (being that little bit faster than Saurus) and kill 1 TG per turn. Then the remainder would kill 3-4 gobbos, and the Warboss would crush 4-5 more TG with his S7 warclub. Four close combat phases of this, and it was down to just the Slaan. Then a Stegadon flank-charged them, but they won anyway, thanks to bad impact hits and the Warboss beating the Slaan to death for the win!

35 Night Goblins, full command (to absorb an annoying challenge), nets, 1 Fanatic (deterrent/softener) and a Savage Orc Warboss is a fearsome combination. And the unit only costs about 400 points, including the character!

papabearshane
10-06-2010, 15:13
Always fun but if you ever see hear Cheese with O&Gs this would be it............

I always love puting this set up out there agenst Chaos Warriors.............

theorox
10-06-2010, 15:44
Always fun but if you ever see hear Cheese with O&Gs this would be it............

I always love puting this set up out there agenst Chaos Warriors.............

If they tell you that THAT is cheezy, eat his Slann! :P

I'm just sayin'...

Theo