PDA

View Full Version : Help with dark elves

reddevil18
07-06-2010, 14:14
Hi, i have just gotten my fiancee into the warhammer world and she has decided (at last) that she wants a dark elf army, I have bought her the battalion and a malbus dark blade model but she wants to know what is the cheapest way to turn this into a 2000 point army?
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance
reddevil18

etancross
07-06-2010, 14:21
Hi, i have just gotten my fiancee into the warhammer world and she has decided (at last) that she wants a dark elf army, I have bought her the battalion and a malbus dark blade model but she wants to know what is the cheapest way to turn this into a 2000 point army?
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance
reddevil18

this is a vague question... you have to consider what kind of playstyle does she have? Does she want a shooty army, magic heavy army, close combat centered army, balance between magic, shooting etc.

You also have to find out what exactly does she want to do, all out attack or play a defensive style.

Don Zeko
07-06-2010, 14:33
The short answer would be to buy plastic, but that only gets you so far with Dark elves, I'm afraid. I'd suggest that a good 2000 point army should have some dark riders, some crossbowmen, a couple of special choices to fight in CC, characters, and either a hydra or a couple of bolt throwers. Since metal black guard and executioners are so expensive, she should probably get Cold One Knights, as they are cheap, effective, and look great.

If she's already bought the battalion, then she needs more cold one knights (I'd recommend 2 boxes of them so that she can field two units of at least 6 or 7 knights each), a box of glade riders to convert (using crossbow elves) into dark riders, another box of warriors to assemble as crossbowmen, either a hydra or two bolt throwers, and metal character models of her choice. She'll then need to beg, borrow or steal to get 2 more glade riders, or just bite the bullet and get a second box and field three units of dark riders. Depending upon her character choices, this should put her around 1600-1800 points, but the last few hundred will probably have to be metal models. I like shades myself, but there are a lot of good ways to go. Another good option would be buying the high elf dragon and replacing the rider with bits from her cold one knights, although many people will consider a DE list with a dragon a bit on the cheesy side.

reddevil18
08-06-2010, 10:11
Thanks for the help, i hadnt thought of using the HE dragon, tho why is a dark elf list with a dragon cheesy?

thesheriff
08-06-2010, 11:45
Just buy a couple of battalions, that will keep her occupied for a while. 10 knights, 40 cossairs, 30 x-bows and some warriors. Maybe some of the plastic high elf kits with leftovers from the battlions (dragon, Mage etc) and some glade riders with dark elf bits. Pretty cheap and lots of forgiving plastic kits for a beginner

@etancross - I don't think she really cares, she's probably just doing to hobby for modelling or to find something in common with reddevil, your over analysing all this stuff about 'playstyle'

reddevil18
08-06-2010, 14:30
thesheriff is right, she doesnt care she just wants to be able to play with me at the moment, she enjoys using just the battalion against me but she wants a 2000 pt army so she can come to the stores and play and to practise when im not about.

thesheriff
08-06-2010, 19:19
I tried to avoid 'she wants to find something in common with you' cliche', even though that is what it basically is. The dark elf battalion is one of the best out there. In fact, i am very tempted to do a horde stylie dark elf army just thinking about it!