R:Burning

Organ Gun

Units: 10
Model Count: 76
Spare Points: 5

Will be playing against Bretonnia, WoC and another Dwarf army

thesheriff
07-06-2010, 20:45
Looks solid. Not a complete gun line, but would do well in a corner like most dwarves. Depending on how gunlin-y the other dwarf army is, i would drop one of the cannons in favour of a pair of bolt throwers rank killing and moster swatting (royal pegasi/giants/shaggoths etc,)

Grentain
07-06-2010, 23:27
Just want to point out that two Runes of Stone don't stack.

lcfr
07-06-2010, 23:37
Thane
Shield
Great Weapon
R:Stone
R:Stone
R: Resistance
R: MoChallenge

You can't have more than one RStone on a suit of armour.

Thunderers 10
Musician
Veteran
Bearer

Thunderers 10
Musician
Veteran
Bearer

A full command on missile units is a waste; each banner you give to a unit of shooters is an easy 100VP give-away to the opponent. Drop the FCs and give these units shields!

Miners 20
Prospector
Bearer
Musician

I'm not a big fan of large Miner units myself...imo Miners are really only good for assaulting enemy warmachines, and are hard pressed to find a role outside of WM-hunting w/out an Anvil. They could act as a countercharging unit if you're deployed in a corner and if they arrive after Turn 2, but you still don't need so many of them.

BeardedWaaagh
09-06-2010, 05:19
I have to agree with thesheriff, you should add a bolt thrower or even a battery of 2 if you can squeeze them in. They are amazing. Its something to consider, just remember that your the only person who can make the best list for yourself to play with, what strategy do you like to use?

Snake1311
09-06-2010, 23:10
Thanks for the replies guys

This list is (as you can probably tell) made from 2 BFSP sets + an organ gun i got on a whim. The idea is that its cheap (1500 pts out of about 50 - planning to exapnd to 2k with a converted grudge anvil and a scrapbuilt gyrocopter) and it will teach me how to play.

I've already got some experience playing 750pt lists (one set + organ gun).

So, onto replies:

Didn't realise RoStone doesn't stack - no biggie. Fat thane is fat and still nigh-unkillable (well, relatively - I imagine its still easier to rout the unit)

The thunderers have commands not because I'm a retard (which may or may not be true, but isn't the reason for THIS :P) but because those are the models I have at my disposal - I'm pretty keen on WYSIWYG. I'm aware its a waste of 50 pts (actually more, since the champs have handguns and tend to just sit there with a pistol up each nostril >.<) plus giftwrapped VP for the opponent, so i was considering condensing them into a unit of 14 and looking to add points elsewhere (where is the big question here)

So far I've had mcuh better experiences with miners then their paper stats would suggest (although mostly as 5 US scoring unit - I fielded 2 of those in my 750 list). They're a decent combat unit, and I tend to get the charge with them whenever I choose to actually emerge close to combat (biggest achievement so far - breaking a stegadon on the charge). They add a bit of flexibility, but I agree they can be a bit of hit or miss.

Onto Tactics:

The aim of this army is to learn the game...so I've gone for a balanced force. My 750 list had a bit more shooting than combat, but at higher points I can afford bigger units, so its gone slightly the other way.

Since my regular opponents have so far been bretonnia and WoC, the tactics are generally fairly defensive - cause some damage with shooting, then depending on how that goes win combat, or screw with opponent charge paths and overruns to get some mroe shooting in.

In terms of this army, I've got shooting part - thunderers and artillery; I've got my 'anvil' unit - warriors with general & BSB, and my 'hammer' unit of miners. The slayer is a cheap way to bog down a unit / mess up its charge / lend an extra few attacks to a nearby combat.

The reason I want to expad into anvil and gyrocopter is that they will effectively round off all the 'typical' dwarf units - as in, I would experience everything unique to the dwarfs (lets face it, all heavy infantry is just warrior upgrades); hence the organ gun as teh first 'extra' purchase :P The anvil will give me a semi-magic phase (woo!), making my lots of miners worthwhile and giving some extra shooting opportunities. To be honest I'm not sure what purpose the gyrocopter will serve (well, naturally it will march block and fry fodder), it's in there mostly for the conversion challenge, uniqueness and lulz

Nathangonmad
11-06-2010, 11:47
I'd say find the points somewhere to get rune of immune to kb/ poison on that BSB.