PDA

View Full Version : 2500p WoC 8th Ed. Playtesting list.

nick_robinsonchia
08-06-2010, 00:40
All comers 2500p WOC list.

Sorceror Lord - Demonsword, Ench Sh, Conj. Homonculous, Barded steed.
BSB-Sword of battle,Helm of many eyes,stream of corruption,MoK,Juggernaut,sh
Exalted- MoT,Disk,Halberd,Sh golden eye of Tzeentch

50 Marauders - MoK, greatweapons, standard/mus
16 Warriors - MoK, Halberd, Sh, FC
5 Hounds

Chariot
6 knights - MoK, mus
6 Knights - MoK

Hellcannon.
WarShrine

thoughts? I'm very happy with the list to be honest -should be fun to play with and against.

Cheers

N

mo-man
08-06-2010, 18:51
thats not enough core units unless the maruraders are gonna be in smaller units which im guessin. and 6 forsaken really isn't going to do much

thesheriff
08-06-2010, 19:28
Firstly, i did'nt know warriors of chaos could take hellblaster volley guns. You mean hellcannon i presume.

Secondly, why have you kitted a sorcere for combat (unless you are trying to recreate the fondness of the hordes of chaos with wizard combats monsters)

And do'nt take forsaken. Spend the points on making the warriors chosen or something

nick_robinsonchia
08-06-2010, 20:12
Firstly, i did'nt know warriors of chaos could take hellblaster volley guns. You mean hellcannon i presume.

Secondly, why have you kitted a sorcere for combat (unless you are trying to recreate the fondness of the hordes of chaos with wizard combats monsters)

And do'nt take forsaken. Spend the points on making the warriors chosen or something

Yup typo on the hellblaster was supposed to be hellcannon.

As to equipping my caster as a fighter well the advantages are manyfold. And something I always encourage.

1. I think in the new edition a single level four might be optimal for both casting and dispelling. So a lvl 4 sorc lord for me is mandatory. As far as equipment is concerned likely the best thing is the spell familiar in the arcane list... WoC arnt especially blessed with amazing arcane items. I'm a fan of the puppet but at the moment I'm a bigger fan of 4-9 WS5 Str5-7 Init 5 attacks. Antimagic stuff is redundant against some armies but those attacks and str never are. I combine him with the lore of death at the moment for more wounds. This guy has never let me down always outperforming caster only sor lords I've fielded. His equipping is somewhat extreme and depending on new items available he might be retinkered. His base stats are the same as a general of the empire lol. Why waste any potential in a character?

As to the forsaken yup they are a waste of points but I'm using them cos they look great with the rest of my army.

Cheers for the feedback much appreciated.

nick_robinsonchia
08-06-2010, 20:16
thats not enough core units unless the maruraders are gonna be in smaller units which im guessin. and 6 forsaken really isn't going to do much

I was under the impression it was two cores and minimum 25% in 8 Ed. I could be wrong but I don't think so. As to the marauders nope they are 60 strong 10 by 6 in horde formation. They are so large to whether increased template/shooting damage and to compensate for striking last with great weapons. These guys will die in droves and I wan them to be big enoughto take the hits and make it to combat.

Cheers for the response.

mo-man
08-06-2010, 20:22
sorry I didn't read it as 8th ed ready and what your going on is rumours I hate people that test out army lists based on what they have read in rumours. That's pointless. What I have found in my WoC list is that it's the core units that win you the majority of the hard fought battles that's why in my current 2250 I am spending close to 800points on core and those being 2 large blocks of warriors with 2 smallish units of maruader horseman. That army is tiny for 2and a half K. and it will die fairly quickly.

Lord Inquisitor
08-06-2010, 20:30
Heh, and the War Altar is also an Empire thing, you mean Warshrine... ;) Methinks you have a Freudian desire to play Empire...

There doesn't feel like a lot for 2500. That unit of Marauders is scary as anything, but it'll not do well if flanked. I think that Marauders are going to be gods of war in this next edition - cheap enough to be hordes yet powerful enough to be brutal.

Still, you only have 7 units of which only 2 are able to break ranks. I don't think it's really versatile enough - you need to stop armies with many ranked units flanking your two main units. Hey, I could be wrong, certainly worth a try. I think multiple smaller units of marauders will be the way to go, but I think we're all going to be throwing down some horde units until we get it out of our system... ;)

thesheriff
08-06-2010, 20:32
Yeah it is percentage. But i would make them 2 units of 30 unless you've got wulfrik. And that sorcere lord combo i would give chaos runsword. He's less prone to hitting himself in the face then!

Godgolden
08-06-2010, 20:33
I am also a fan of a daemonsword sorc, enchanted shield and barded, very fun times indeed, bit iffy though i had him detonate an enemys general but also fell on his own blade.. it was funny though (wooo roll on the eye of the gods.. oh wait hes decided to retire.. sigh).

the hellcannons not my thing, ive only test played it once, blew itself up and killed a good number of my guys, then got overrun lol, lots of points into one very chancey device, but again if you can make it work...

your core (not a choice but rather the meat and potatoes) of the army is virtually none existant, MOK GW maurauders dont have much in the way of defence and are so incredibly slow, your knights will attract every single gun in the opposing army, one unit of warriors will be lucky to see favourable combat.

Personally i would strip points off the characters where it can be spared (so loosing a character isnt a massive blow), would keep the daemonsword etc for nice happy funtimes, also a stupid jugger makes me sigh, maybe in the new edition you wont fail as often though so cant judge too harshly there, he is expensive though.

Maybe have atleast one big block of maurauders with shields etc for staying power to provide a nice base, wit so much frenzy some more dogs cant hurt (if BSB can help with rerolls maybe not as essensial)

and try to get more redundancy such as another unit of knights so at least one of them will see combat (if kept barebones combine charge them with the chariot if its alive)

I would remove forsaken as they offend me (i know they are cool but they 'literily' have their picture under the dictionary definition of 'worthless' right next to the daemon prince)

Of course these are my opinion, i think your going to be outnumbered and swamped at 2500 pts, chaos combat characters for me never turn to game.

edit: sorry didnt realise it ws for 8'th

Lord Inquisitor
08-06-2010, 20:37
I would remove forsaken as they offend me (i know they are cool but they 'literily' have their picture under the dictionary definition of 'worthless' right next to the daemon prince)
Now, you know you didn't actually mean "literally (http://xkcd.com/725/)" ... ;)

Godgolden
08-06-2010, 20:49
Glad you go the joke lol

nick_robinsonchia
08-06-2010, 22:15
Methinks you have a Freudian desire to play Empire... Lol Yeah i have 3 forces im looking at 8th Ed. with and its all starting to blend into one! Empire rats and chaos...I have no doubt there is crossover lol.

There doesn't feel like a lot for 2500. Agreed. As its more a test list to check out new rules I havnt fine tuned it yet. I have a feeling the final list will be without the forsaken and maybe 10 of the marauders in the big unit. 50 will hopefull be all i need but i took 60 just in case;)That unit of Marauders is scary as anything, but it'll not do well if flanked. I think that Marauders are going to be gods of war in this next edition - cheap enough to be hordes yet powerful enough to be brutal.Yup completely agree. I was running some numbers and that horde unit is just devastating to anything that attacks it or it attacks (well from the front at least). I ran numbers using it vs many other armies from horde units to decent sized elites....and anything that it comes against will be brutalised and more often than not too win a combat against them i used enemy units substantially more expensive than our 5p animals! Saying that like you say its the flanks that are the problem. In this list I have a warrior unit (which is about the same price lol) a chariot and warshrine to offer protection. I think the biggest thing is actually getting the enemy to WANT to engage them. The only thing i can think of is a tooled up caster that is doing so much damage to the opponent they have to try kill him and consequently the unit.

Still, you only have 7 units of which only 2 are able to break ranks. I don't think it's really versatile enough - you need to stop armies with many ranked units flanking your two main units. Hey, I could be wrong, certainly worth a try. I think multiple smaller units of marauders will be the way to go, but I think we're all going to be throwing down some horde units until we get it out of our system... ;) Lol yeah the horde thing is definately like a shiny new toy, im sure the lustre of it will wear off...saying that its pretty hard to argue against the numbers this unit can pull out lol.

Hey man thanks very much for the comments really appreciated.

But i would make them 2 units of 30 unless you've got wulfrik. And that sorcere lord combo i would give chaos runsword. He's less prone to hitting himself in the face then!

You may very well be right with the two units over one but im definately gonna try the horde to see if it is as impressive in game as on paper :D Wulfric will be sick....but i tend not to use special characters as alot of tournies dont allow them. Yeah the chaos runesword, puppet and ench shield is my number two option and is alot 'safer'. If they do away with the +1 wound spell with the lore of death i may well switch to it. That spell really gives u the cushioning needed for the sword heh. Again cheers for the input.

<Snips>
I am also a fan of a daemonsword sorc, enchanted shield and barded, very fun times indeed...

Your core of the army is virtually none existant

Personally i would strip points off the characters

Redundancy such as another unit of knights so at least one of them will see combat (if kept barebones combine charge them with the chariot if its alive)

I would remove forsaken.

Of course these are my opinion, i think your going to be outnumbered and swamped at 2500 pts, chaos combat characters for me never turn to game.

Lol Yeah the demonsword is great and just the look on you're opponents face when they charge a 'caster' and face 4-9 strength 5-7 attacks is golden! Like i said above it really helps pairing it with the +1 wound spell.

Yeah I cant help but feel the list is too small as well. Basically I will shave stuff off once i try a few options out. The BSB is very expensive at the moment but has alot of potential for breaking even fully ranked units if all the rumors are true. Lots of synergies at work. And seeing as BSBs seem somewhat mandatory now I thought Id trial it all out. If all the new rules are correct he will have 2d6 str 3 hits from the breath attack in combat(once) + 6 ASF strength 5 attacks that will often reroll to hit against anything apart from a few lords + juggernaut attacks (I got a feeling they will get one stomp attack too) +2 CR for banner and charging(no outnumber either). If he can knock an infantry unit below 19(or +3 ranks depending on frontage) thereby losing their stubborn he will likely break them blowing a hole in the battleline.

The disc rider is there as my only real means of combatting gunlines in a dual role of hunter and missile absorber. He cant get any cheaper without killing his effectiveness. If they actually made forsaken skirmish or gave us some fliers i wouldnt need to use him but alas they didnt :confused: I hear ya on forsaken and only really included them because i liked the conversion work i did on them. Saying that I should likely drop them in favor of more core. I was going to use them as a rear/flank protectors but forgot they were only Init 4 as opposed to 5. 5 of them could handle light cav and small ratpack units etc if they had the warrior intitiative but sadly they dont... so yeah agree right back where they started i guess...useless.

Yup il retinker the list a little and see what i can do to get more redundancy - something i normally build for. Chaos characters have done suprising things for me. The disk rider is worth his weight in gold. He has absorbed so much missile and spellfire and gone on to terrorise missile units, fast cav, 2+ or worse knight units, lone wizards, war machines. The BSB similarly (altho was equpped with warbanner and flail previously) has done exceptional things all on his lonesome. And by the sound of it we both know how much fun the sorc lord is:D.

Thanks for the long thought out respsonse much appreciated.

Cheers Guys

N

nick_robinsonchia
08-06-2010, 22:40
Just changed round the list a little shaving some points off and invested in another unit of knights. I still think Khorne knights will still have enough hitting power to do decently in 8th.... time will tell i guess. Now if I can find 50 points to give each a standard and the second a musician id be happier lol.