PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Knight Army for 8th (2250)

Malorian
08-06-2010, 17:57
These are the assumpions that are going into making this list:

1. Units are stubborn if they have more ranks
2. Great weapons are +2 str when mounted
3. Magic defence does not require a damsel (2D6 PD and other player gets the highest for DD)
4. Breath weapons can be used in combat

Also please note that I will NEVER have men at arms in my army.

The List:

Paladin w/ horse, wrym lance, shield
Paladin *BSB* w/ horse, warbanner, virtue of duty

12 KE w/ FC, errantry banner
12 KotR w/ FC, banner of chalons
12 KotR w/ FC
12 KotR w/ FC
9 KotR w/ FC

5 pegasus knights
9 questing knights w/ FC

Total: 2247

So the standard blocks of 9 have been increased to 12 to give me more ranks (thus reducing the times the opponent will be stubborn for having more ranks), pegasus knights and questing knights will be used to tie up large blocks/protracted combats, and the rest will simply crush one flank and then reform to deal with the rest.

Thoughts?

thesheriff
08-06-2010, 19:49
make sure all KotR units are 12 models strong, drop some erantry knights for that. I would be tempted to drop some core knighst for some more questing knights, because if the great wep. thing is true they will be very good indeed

Malorian
08-06-2010, 19:51
The smaller unit of KotR would be for taking on weaker units that I didn't want to dedicate a full lance to.

dragonet111
08-06-2010, 20:25
Hi.
I also play a smaller unit of knights that I use like yours and I really like to give the Banner of Châlon to that unit it works only once but that can be useful:D

Dilthar
08-06-2010, 20:36
Hi.
I also play a smaller unit of knights that I use like yours and I really like to give the Banner of Châlon to that unit it works only once but that can be useful:D

I don't think the banner of Chalons is a one use only, unless you mean one time only as once the enemy realizes what it does they wet themselves and run like little girls.

I'm digging that list, I don't get all the naysayers and their "brets get nerfed" speak, cause we still got the easy rank bonuses going for us. If I may ask though, why don't you like men-at-arms?

dragonet111
08-06-2010, 20:40
You are right I was thinking of the Twilight Banner.

Malorian
08-06-2010, 22:46
If I may ask though, why don't you like men-at-arms?

I play brets for the knights.

If I wanted a bunch of infantry I would pull out my empier or orcs.

(Mailed all mine to Once Bitten ;))

goodz
08-06-2010, 23:31
i might be tempted to reduce the pegasus knights to 4, only 4 can fit in combat most of the time anyway i would think as they are probably hunting warmachines lonley mages, if you use them for more then that then nevermind :)

nick_robinsonchia
08-06-2010, 23:38
Hey Mal,

Firstly love the list. Respect the fact you havnt taken twin trebuchets as they are godly at existing points and strength values. Only thing negative I can say is that I think you're assumption about not needing a damsel might be flawed. If everything is as we think it is the +4 to cast and dispel for a lvl 4 might prove the deathnell for ur list. Sure u get close to or above half the opponents PD BUT they wont go as far with +4 to cast. I got a feeling having a single level four both offensively and defensively might be the way to go. Life magic looks like it might be sexy as well. Seeing as ur pali appears to be there just cos u need a general (and to make those regenning monsters fear ur knights after the pali hopefully does a wound!) maybe the points might be better spent going towards a level 4. On top of that it will give you're knights a 3+ ward against magic missile of str 5 and above!

I get it if you dont like it fluff wise but tactically it might be a sound option.

Cheers

N

Malorian
09-06-2010, 15:05
Hey Mal,

Firstly love the list. Respect the fact you havnt taken twin trebuchets as they are godly at existing points and strength values. Only thing negative I can say is that I think you're assumption about not needing a damsel might be flawed. If everything is as we think it is the +4 to cast and dispel for a lvl 4 might prove the deathnell for ur list. Sure u get close to or above half the opponents PD BUT they wont go as far with +4 to cast. I got a feeling having a single level four both offensively and defensively might be the way to go. Life magic looks like it might be sexy as well. Seeing as ur pali appears to be there just cos u need a general (and to make those regenning monsters fear ur knights after the pali hopefully does a wound!) maybe the points might be better spent going towards a level 4. On top of that it will give you're knights a 3+ ward against magic missile of str 5 and above!

I get it if you dont like it fluff wise but tactically it might be a sound option.

Cheers

N

We'll have to see just how it looks when the full lores are released.

I know that as it stands now I've done fairly well in games where I took no magic defence at all (I just charge and kill mages on turn 2) but with the magic phase being put on it's head I will have to rethink that for sure.

goodz
09-06-2010, 23:26
i agree that with most armys probably now relying on 1 high level mage killing him will be hugley beneficial

Lhel
12-06-2010, 12:08
i agree that with most armys probably now relying on 1 high level mage killing him will be hugley beneficial
If you can manage to kill the caster(s) of course, not all mages die easy. It is very seldom I loose any of my mages, maybe a handful of deaths in 3-4 years.

Do see the benefits of killing off the mages early on, if you can pull it off it's quite likely you don't need much in magic defence at all. Everything is still a little up in the air as the holy scripture isn't out to the people yet.

Paraelix
14-06-2010, 09:45
This army prompted some discussion with some mates the other day... And now one of them is planning a Bret army with (at least one) unit of 12 Grail Knights.

Artinam
14-06-2010, 10:04
I'd leave some space in your lances for your heroes (prevents deployment issues) and put the warbanner on a unit instead of the BSB (less vulnerable).

Malorian
14-06-2010, 18:17
I'd leave some space in your lances for your heroes (prevents deployment issues) and put the warbanner on a unit instead of the BSB (less vulnerable).

It's a trade off: safer in the unit, more versitile on the BSB.

Artinam
14-06-2010, 23:06
I doubt it will matter alot as all your big units are Knights of the Realm and Bretonnians being extremely fast to reach combat will make it not very common for your BSB to change units. You can also give him the Wyrmlance for your one shot flamethrower.

I see your point though, all I'm pointing out that if your BSB dies, 3 points of Combat Resolution will die with him. Generally when that happens your unit is also into problem put it prevents him getting sniped and bearing all the cost.