PDA

View Full Version : 40k Templates

Symrivven
08-06-2010, 20:22
I now have a set of the green translucent 40k templates. I noticed that both the 5" and the 3" templates have numbers on them. But I don't know what they are for and it annoys me. :shifty:
I put a picture of the templates in the attachment.
A: shows inches on the flame template
B: Are 1 inch circles on the two blast templates.

Now the numbers on the circular templates.
The 3, 5 and 7 on the 5" are on one line and they have 2 inches in-between the 3 and 5 and the 5 and 7. so it could just be a way of measuring.
If you put the small 3" template with the 2 in line of the 3, 5 and 7 then this still holds true as there is 1 inch between the 2 and 3. but then 0 would be on the other side of the circle on which the 2 lays and this wouldn't make a lot of sense.

The 5 on the 5" template could simply be a way to indicate it is the 5" template. But the corresponding number on the 3" template is a 9 so again that would make no sense.

I considered circumference and area, but taking in account pi that wouldn't yield any natural numbers.

So has anyone got a decent theory what these numbers represent or are they put there just at random? :wtf:

Hunger
08-06-2010, 20:53
They make it look techy - the template is a high-tech targeting reticule - anyone whose played a first-person shooter or a flight sim knows that such crosshairs always have numbers.

Those who pretend to know about such things will say the numbers are to do with range, elevation etc, but the truth is that the army just put those numbers in there to make the sniper feel like he's got a really good gun. Its a psychological thing.

Same with tanks - the gunner needs to know he's firing a really powerful high-tech cannon, and the best way to represent that is by filling his screen with loads of scrolling numbers.

Fighter pilots have it the best though - they often have the entire screen of the cockpit completely covered in numbers! While this makes them feel great, it is also a subtle reminder that the airplane is very expensive, and an amount of technology that requires so many numbers to be displayed must be treated with care.

Grimtuff
08-06-2010, 22:31
It's future proofing. Believe it or not GW does actually do this sometimes!

MystheDevourer
08-06-2010, 22:42
Do not forget that the 3" and 5" templates can EASILY be used for arc of fire and LOS