PDA

View Full Version : "Half unit strength" and victory points Q

Kayosiv
08-06-2010, 21:23
So lately my friends and I have been having several rules discussions about things that are worth half points due to the unit being at "half strength or less." Now it is obvious that a unit of 20 infantry reduced to 6 models grants half points, but here are some other examples that I'd like to know the answer to. How many points do the following provide when the game ends?

1. A bolt-thrower that has taken 2 wounds with both crew alive. ANSWERED! NONE
2. A bolt-thrower that has 1 of its crew killed. ANSWERED! NONE
3. A destroyed bolt thrower with both or 1 of its crew alive. ANSWERED! FULL VICTORY POINTS

4. A Hydra that has taken 2 wounds with both of its handlers killed (meaning it has lost 4, or more than 1/2, of its 7 total wounds the unit started the game with).
5. A Hydra that has been killed with at least 1 beast master alive.

6. A unit of razordons that started out with 2 razordons and 8 skinks, with 7 skinks killed.
7. A unit of razordons that started out with 2 razordons and 8 skinks, with both razordons (they have 3 wounds each) killed
8. A unit of 3 razordons with all skinks alive, but 1 razordon killed and another with 2 wounds on it.

9. A stegadon with all crew dead (it starts with 5) and 0-2 wounds on the stegadon.
10. A stegadon with 4 wounds (it starts with 5, so it has 1 left) and all 5 crew alive.

shelfunit.
08-06-2010, 21:42
Not sure about 4-10, but in the "Victory!" section in the rule book there is a section on warmachines that states that they don't give up any VPs until either the "machine is destroyed" or, at the end of the game the crew are "not in a postion to operate the machine".

EDIT: Page 102 on the skull pass book, bottom left of page.

Kayosiv
08-06-2010, 22:09
Oh just found it, "note on war machines." Thanks for pointing that out.

stripsteak
08-06-2010, 22:34
Half Strength for units is based only on model count. There is no exception made for monster and handler units, or units with multi wound models (or combination of multi/single wound models). yes this sometimes gets 'silly' results
unless the hydra has something specific in it's book don't have the DE book on me.

4. A Hydra that has taken 2 wounds with both of its handlers killed (meaning it has lost 4, or more than 1/2, of its 7 total wounds the unit started the game with). wounds don't matter, it has lost 2 of 3 models half points.
5. A Hydra that has been killed with at least 1 beast master alive.
2 beast masters alive 0 points
1 beast master alive half points

6. A unit of razordons that started out with 2 razordons and 8 skinks, with 7 skinks killed. half points
7. A unit of razordons that started out with 2 razordons and 8 skinks, with both razordons (they have 3 wounds each) killed 0 points (if the skinks are alive)
8. A unit of 3 razordons with all skinks alive, but 1 razordon killed and another with 2 wounds on it. 0 points

the stegadon has a special clause in it's rules the riders don't matter for vp, unless it's a character.

9. A stegadon with all crew dead (it starts with 5) and 0-2 wounds on the stegadon. 0 points
10. A stegadon with 4 wounds (it starts with 5, so it has 1 left) and all 5 crew alive. half points

Kayosiv
08-06-2010, 23:34
Thanks Stripsteak, that covers everything I was wondering.

The razordon/hydra part is a bit silly though, oh wells. At least now I know.

Atrahasis
09-06-2010, 10:54
He's wrong about 4&5 though; the hydra's special rules tell us to ignore the handlers for VP purposes.

Just treat the hydra like any other monster, ie if it loses 3 wounds you get half points.

Kayosiv
09-06-2010, 11:11
Well he specifically stated that he didn't have the Dark Elf book on him, but thank you for pointing out his mistake anyway.

Milgram
09-06-2010, 19:20
he's got it from the hell cannon. if two chaos dwarfs die, you get 50% of the VP.