PDA

View Full Version : Tactica - Ninja Dwarfing

Grentain
09-06-2010, 06:29
I was recently convinved into playing Warhammer Fantasy by a bunch of my friends, and I've been toying around with the army for several weeks now. I started as a pretty generic march/shoot army, and then decided to better utilize rangers. When I saw that Bugman could give me an extra unit of scouts (longbeards, at that), and that miners could be an interesting tactic to utilize.

I've found that one of the Dwarf army's major downfall is its movement speed. They have little choice but to sit in wait while someone else assaults them. Mind you, their artillery helps make up for that, but it only helps so much against armies set to be shooty.

My solution? Take the fight to them, and remove the movement variable. Since all the dwarf models are set up sturdy (Toughness 4, at least light armor and shields) for combat. In a 1000pt army, I'm basically allowed two units of Rangers, plus Special units, which can be used for miners, who also enter the field in the opponent's deployment zone.

The advantages: Since, in my particular 1000pt list (which is in the army list section), I do not have any models that deploy normally, I am given almost 100% advantage over placing in response to my opponent. My unit of Longbeards faces the front, while the quarrelers are placed behind them (on a hill, if possible). This lets the Longbeards utilize their dangerous Throwing Axes (strength 5? Heck yeah.), while letting my Quarrelers shoot over their heads at the war machines or the back models. Miners can enter the field from the table edge, to act as a charge target or as a counter-charge. Not to mention that they've got great weapons to pack a hefty punch.

What're your thoughts?

Dorack
09-06-2010, 09:08
Itīs a fun way to play dwarfs. Mind you, you will do well against certain armies and be massacred by others. Your unit will be hard pressed to help each other.

Try it out.

theorox
09-06-2010, 15:00
Yeah! Please let us know how it goes!

Theo ;)

Malorian
09-06-2010, 15:08
Problems:

Terrain- You don't always have good places to put your rangers (if you can even place them at all) and if they are inside terrain they are ungodly slow.

Piecemeal- Since your rangers, miners, and main line will all be seperated your opponent can charge in and smash elements of your army before they are supported. Not to mention you never can depend no when those miners will come in.

Apart from that, I hope you have fun :)

Grentain
09-06-2010, 15:17
That's a good point... I'll have to think about that!

Malorian
09-06-2010, 15:19
Read the description again... pay particular attention to the part about having to be deployed in or behind interposing terrain...

StrawberryMcFairyShoes
09-06-2010, 18:16
I think this tactic is viable in smaller games that is if Rangers and Miners aren't too costly you'll need atleast two big units.
My friend is starting Dwarfs and he had a similar idea I'll let you know what he comes up with/fares.

goodz
09-06-2010, 23:23
its fun, i generally won't even play my friends dwarf gun line because it is just really boring most of the time.

I would still keep a few blocks of normal infantry, maybe drop to 1 unit of miners, i forget what its called but something lets you re roll to bring your miners in, might be usefull, larger game an anvil i believe lets your miners charge on the turn they get in, that has suprised me before omg 30 miners charging my flank! but yea dwarfs are slow so its going to be really hard for any of your units to support each other placed like this.

H33D
10-06-2010, 20:41
I know a few Dwarf players that try this a few times. It has worked for me but against good Generals it seems to fail as they are able to eliminate your units one at a time. I have actually had success with this theme vs dwarves however, as it is more successful the less mobile your opponent is as they have to fight on multiple fronts. One model to not underestimate is Bugman. He is about as expensive as a runed up thane, but I had him flank the outside of a VC army once. His granting his unit fear/terror protection helped his LB ranger unit walk through the entire army left to right (it was an infantry based VC army). Bring a Gyro if you use this strategy. At least one.

papabearshane
10-06-2010, 21:03
Its a good way to enjoy Dwarfs but at higher points use some Warrior blocks to make a pincher effect...................Love seeing people playing Mobile Dwarfs

CommissarSean
10-06-2010, 21:13
Fat moving armies will be a problem cos all they are going to do is charge up the field and smash you shootting units. Then you will have combat units with no support.

I like the idea though, and i do hope it works.

Not many people try new tactics these days :D

BeatTheBeat
10-06-2010, 21:28
Did the same thing (almost the same list as well) a few years ago, "gimmick-y" dwarfs are way more fun! A gyrocopter is a must though, I think, as is rune of challenge and the rune that reduces enemy charge by D6... Allows for some NASTY counter-charges, and you can remove them after a few games as the enemy will then be a lot more cautious! Psychological warfare at its best!

Good luck,
BTB

Zinch
10-06-2010, 21:57
As a Dwarf player I haven't tryed this out for all the reasons mentioned here, but with the rumours of the new edition I certainly will.

Is rumoured that terrain will be less movement restrictive, which may help deploy the rangers.
Also, the new random charge distance will reduce the gap in movement beetwen Dwarfs and the rest of the armies. Adding the rune of chalenging and the one that reduces the charges 1D6 (as mentioned before) will mean a lot more control in the combat phase for the dwarf player.
Adding an anvil (I usualy play 2000 - 2250 points games) helps a lot also and one or two thanes with the brootherhood rune and you have your army!

What we don't know yet are the new rules for scouts...

Finaly, one detail, there's the rumour of a magic banner that makes the unit ignore terrain restrictions, its sad that dwarfs can't use generic magic items...

Malorian
10-06-2010, 22:08
I'm actually thinking dwarf rangers might be worth it in 8th by not moving at all.

Set up something shooty, scout into the back of terrain, use true line of sight to shoot away, and if the enemy want to get to youo they ahve to slog through the terrain first.