PDA

View Full Version : Wargamming is killing me!

jspyd3rx
09-06-2010, 15:01
So it turns out I am sensitive or allergic to toulene in glue. I am one of those who react strongly to certain glues which produce short term asthma syptoms or brochiospasms. For some it takes over 8 hours to produce reactions, though for lucky me it is only about 2 to three hours. Kept wondering why I was wheezing and at one point spitting blood. Didn't know this hobby was soo hard core it could seriously mess me up. At least it only took a year to figure out.

Thud
09-06-2010, 15:03
I think it would probably be a good idea to ask a friend to glue your models for you. ;)

Tiu
09-06-2010, 15:05
Wow, that sucks... Well, you know what to do: Only buy preassembled armies! ;)

Seriously, though, sorry to hear that. Id say get well, but I dont believe its that easy... Anyway, cya.

MasterGideon
09-06-2010, 15:06
Should get tested, or maybe get a mask to see if that improves things. Any decent DIY store would have a filted masked they used for metal or wood work

MasterGideon

jspyd3rx
09-06-2010, 15:06
Who said I was stopping? getting some masks today. Has this happened to anyone else?

Badger[Fr]
09-06-2010, 15:08
Getting a mask and a pair of gloves is indeed a good idea.

I knew Wargaming could ruin me, but still...

Grimtuff
09-06-2010, 15:11
Seems to also be affecting your spelling too. What on earth is "wargamming"? ;)

Bunnahabhain
09-06-2010, 15:13
A decent respirator and decent ventilation (dependant on your climate) should sort it out....Just what I do for resin work, or spraying.

AndrewGPaul
09-06-2010, 15:18
Do 2-part epoxy adhesives evolve toluene? If not, they might be suitable. Or soldering, for metal minis. :)

jspyd3rx
09-06-2010, 15:25

Lol, yea it is.:D

I am mess today. Hard to focus. Was inspired to build a Libby Dread last night.
Only after waking up this morning did everything come together. Always thought it was the spray paint. Even developed asthma this year without knowing why. So I usually wore it only when painting and not when building.:rolleyes:

Godzooky
09-06-2010, 15:36
A lot of those Krieg chaps have the same problem.

the1stpip
09-06-2010, 17:08
What kind of glue is affecting you?

In fairness, my wife hates my Polystyrene Cement (I actually use Liquid Poly) and if it gets spilt (a frequent occurence with two girls five or younger), it stinks for hours.

Maybe there is a different glue you could use, or as someone else suggested, have someone else help you.

Garanaul the Black
09-06-2010, 17:13
Should get tested

This.

Seriously, see an allergist. Just because you can mitigate your exposure to toulene with masks and gloves doesn't mean that is the only thing you might be allergic to.

I carry an EpiPen everywhere I go as anaphylactic shock almost killed me a few years ago were it not for my wife's intervention. Simply because I didn't realize I'm also allergic to certain types of apples.

G

Vlad Urkana
09-06-2010, 17:28
Wow, I never even considered being allergic to one of the chemicals in cyanoacrylates. Now I feel lucky that my only real allergy is to peanut butter and that it only sends me into violent projectile vomitting.

Lars Porsenna
09-06-2010, 18:47
If you use liquid plastic cement, that might mitigate the problems. Testors cement is FREX Methyl Ethyl Ketone, and Plastruct PLastic Weld is Trichloromethane. Unless you're using the phrase "toluene" generically...

Damon.

jspyd3rx
09-06-2010, 19:05
Thanks, for all input. Using generically until doc narrows it down specifically. I got my brother a 2k nid army and now I know how is going to pay me back hehe.

Panzerkanzler
09-06-2010, 23:29
So it turns out I am sensitive or allergic to toulene in glue. I am one of those who react strongly to certain glues which produce short term asthma syptoms or brochiospasms. For some it takes over 8 hours to produce reactions, though for lucky me it is only about 2 to three hours. Kept wondering why I was wheezing and at one point spitting blood. Didn't know this hobby was soo hard core it could seriously mess me up. At least it only took a year to figure out.

Get another hobby. There are MANY that are cheaper, more fun and better. If you don't believe me just wait till GW's next price hike which could come any time given how greedy they are.

Freakiq
10-06-2010, 02:25
Get another hobby. There are MANY that are cheaper, more fun and better. If you don't believe me just wait till GW's next price hike which could come any time given how greedy they are.

Way to go off topic, start a pricing thread if you must.

@OP I feel for you, I know how annoying allergies can be, I hope it works out for you.

There are always metal armies though. ;)

PsyberWolf
10-06-2010, 12:36
Oh man that is rough. Hopefully, you are not allergic to the plastic itself!

crazywhiteboydance
10-06-2010, 13:39
I have similar problems, you may also find that you get wheezy after painting for a while as the fumes, although pretty much unnoticable, irritate pre-exisisting conditions such as asthma.

baphomael
10-06-2010, 13:58

For a second, I thought that said wargammon. Meat really is murder.