PDA

View Full Version : State Troops vs Men-at-arms

Charistoph
09-06-2010, 17:42
Which models are easier to assemble and paint, Empire State Troops or Bretonnian Men-at-arms?

Ethriel
09-06-2010, 18:07
Brettonian Men-at-Arms....they probably the 2nd easiest to build models. (The first of course being Brettonian Archers).

Malorian
09-06-2010, 18:40
Just watch how you paint those men at arms because they hold their shields close to their body.

I would suggest painting before you glue it together.

Gerod253
09-06-2010, 18:58
Men at Arms without a doubt. Here is a list of the parts. Body, Right arm, Shield and head. The arm and shield fit into sockets where the elbow would be. Very easy to assemble, especially in large groups.

The archers are even easier. Technically they are a two part model, body and head, but they come out to a whopping three if you add the arrows or quivers to them. There are other bits and dodads that you can add, like a dog or jugs, but that is the essence.

This may sound boring, not much variety in poses, but I've found them to always retain some individuality. Especially since there are more than enough heads included to allow you to make every one of them different. Add in a varied color scheme and there is no reason why a person should get bored, in my humble opinion.

Lord Dan
09-06-2010, 19:06
Though it should be noted that state troops are only one piece behind the men at arms:

Body
Head
Sword arm
Shield arm
Shield

Spearmen have the same number of pieces, though the arms are one piece and the spear has a spear-head piece.

Paraelix
09-06-2010, 20:27
Brettonian Men-at-Arms....they probably the 2nd easiest to build models. (The first of course being Brettonian Archers).

Wrong. Starter set models are the easiest.

Zazzer
09-06-2010, 20:35
I sure had a tough time glueing in goblins to their bases.

vinush
09-06-2010, 21:01
I find M@A easier to glue together and use as their pole-arms are more sturdy than the halberds or spears of the State troops. I also find that with very little work, Empire heads fit onto M@A bodies, making nice Halberdiers/spearmen for an Empire army.

THE \/ince

Vaughnilla619
09-06-2010, 21:18
Gnoblars have to be the hardest! Next to the starter set :D

R Man
09-06-2010, 23:20
I remember those 5th edition Bret archers. Those were easy to make, and paint. Almost a delight. Does anyone else remember them?

SamVimes
09-06-2010, 23:26
Yes...all 100 of them I have forming the core fire-power for my Brettonian army (I'm not one for combat effectiveness. The rest of the army is a unit of KotR and knights errant, and 3 large units of questing knights).

Lord Dan
09-06-2010, 23:33
Yes...all 100 of them I have forming the core fire-power for my Brettonian army (I'm not one for combat effectiveness. The rest of the army is a unit of KotR and knights errant, and 3 large units of questing knights).

I'm not sure why I feel so compelled to comment on this, but that army sounds like it's beautiful to behold and absolutely terrible in game.

SamVimes
09-06-2010, 23:36
It's fun, but only half-painted, unfortunately. It is my next project to finish out though :)

Charistoph
10-06-2010, 01:09
I don't know, 100 arrows that are able to reach you almost anywhere on the board, and have cheap access to flaming arrows... Sounds like an Orc gunline to me. Who cares how bad they shoot, they more than make up for it with range and sheer quantity!

Thanks all, I prefer the look of the Men-at-arms, over-all, but I am a beginner at all this, so I didn't want to handicap myself too much.

lordmetroid
10-06-2010, 02:01
If I did a bretonnian army I would use a lot of Men-at-arms screened by a lot of Archers, two trebuchets and a couple of units of knights. Really what does it matter which one is the hardest, at least it is not the old Skaven models which were incredibly hard to put together.

Kuja
10-06-2010, 02:31
I think that bretonnian men at arms are easier to assemble than empire state troops, although i can't tell you wich one is more difficult to paint.

And I love bretonnian 5th edition archers. Thay are very good models.

Peasant bowmen are probably one of the best missile troops (point wise) in the game against lots of units and a very good support unit for bretonnian cavalry, while Questing knights, well, they really need the old +2 strenght bonus from great weapons instead of the current +1 bonus, but they will have it again in eight edition, so your army SamVimes will probably be very competitive again in just a few days (although I will suggest one or two trebuchets in your army too, and they have very good models).

Ethriel
10-06-2010, 05:08
Wrong. Starter set models are the easiest.

Ah, but you aren't actually building those models, just gluing them to the bases.

Also, any of those mutipart models in the Starter Set (such as the Troll or Goblin cheiftan) are still only 2 part models. Which ties them with the Bret Archers.

Ratbeast
09-01-2011, 10:52
State troops any day

Haravikk
09-01-2011, 11:38
I really prefer the look of the Men at Arms anyway, and for the same cost they're pretty competitive; they may lack a point of Weapon Skill but they have shields instead which make them a bit better at surviving enemy shooting, and their lack of leadership is countered by a fairly cheap hero anyway. I mean, I've never personally fancied the state troop style that much.

That said, depending how neat and tidy you want your army to look, you can actually build some of the state troops using free companies which can look pretty sweet, as they have a kind of pole-arm in the kit so with a few kits you can field an entire unit like that. But, sticking to the original question I think free company are fiddlier to build than Men at Arms; not difficult or especially time consuming, just more pieces.

The Grim
09-01-2011, 11:57
Well that is some digging!

FLUEVOG
09-01-2011, 12:59
... There are other bits and dodads that you can add, like a dog or jugs, but that is the essence....

Didn't know you had the option to add hoots

Urgat
09-01-2011, 13:55
I remember those 5th edition Bret archers. Those were easy to make, and paint. Almost a delight. Does anyone else remember them?

Yes, I hate them. My bro has tons of them, and they're more annoying than the knights.

xXBrentXx
09-01-2011, 15:37
state troops are hard to put into ranks i can tell you that

jullevi
09-01-2011, 18:33
I have never assembled or painted Men-at-Arms, but State Troops are a total pain in the back, including assembly as well as painting. To me, difficulty means more than just the number of bits you need to glue. All my State Troop kits have featured horrible moldlines, but figuring out what combination of bits to use to make the models look half decent is the most difficult task. Unfortunately, there aren't many options. In my opinion, to make State Troops look good, you need to convert them. This is a major headache.

I bought about several boxes of Empire State Troops with plans of expanding my army when they were released in early 2007. I hated assembling them so much that I never completed a single unit of them. I gave up with Empire army expansion plan and started building Chaos armies instead.