PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid FAQ

VetSgtSchaeffer
10-06-2010, 14:42
Tyranid MC's can use 2 psychic powers per turn, the swarmlord can use 2 of the same power

Tyranid CC weapons do stack

Multiple Hive Commanders and Pheremone Trails do not stack for adding to reserve rolls, although Hive Commander and Pheremone Trail do stack with each other

If a Hive Tyrant or Swarlord joins a unit with the shieldwall ability it can not be individually picked out for the purposes of shooting.

Tyranid prime has the option for wings at 20 points

Ripper Swarms do not count for Kill Points

Hive Tyrant upgrades Armored Shell, Thorax Swarms, and Wings all cost 10 less points

Lictors and Deathleaper can choose to infiltrate in missions that allow it instead of using the Chameoleonic Skin rule

Psychic Scream and Spirit Leech do not effect units inside transports though Aura of Despair does.

Venomthropes have the IC rule

Pyrovore has a 3+ save standard

Harpy has a 3+ save standard

Carnifex and Old One Eye has 2+ save standard

Multiple Carnifexs in a single brood is no longer an option

Ymgarl Genestealers have the option for stealth for 2 points a model

Genestealers have the option for stealth for 1 point a model

Raveners have the option for Adrenal glands at 5 points a model

Tyrannofex loses stinger salvo and spine cluster but can now choose either fleshborer hive or rupture cannon in addition to acid spray.(ie can have rupture cannon and acid spray)

For deepstriking purposes mawlocs can be placed directly over enemy models but not over friendly models or impassable terrain.

That took me like 10 minutes to fix the tyrannid codex. Feel free to email me if you want to offer me a job in game development.

Zweischneid
10-06-2010, 14:49
That took me like 10 minutes to fix the tyrannid codex. Feel free to email me if you want to offer me a job in game development.

Um.. no.

It took you 10 minutes to compile some common things found and forwarded on the internet by the hundreds of people after many hundreds of games with the new Nids and thousands of hours of reading the book for the new Nids.

That's different than fixing it yourself in 10 minutes.

Also.. when in doubt.. roll a D6: "1-3 my way" & "4-6 your way". Took me 10 seconds to fix the Nid Codex.

So the job should go to me :)

Lord Damocles
10-06-2010, 14:50
...fix the tyrannid codex...
Just a pity you had to butcher some core rules in the process, and go far beyond the remit of an 'FAQ' eh?

SPYDER68
10-06-2010, 14:53
This is pretty much a butcher of the rules and mostly *i want this* changes to the codex...

the 2 psychic powers doesnt even need a faq btw.. its rather simple.

MystheDevourer
10-06-2010, 15:05
Tyranid MC's can use 2 psychic powers per turn, the swarmlord can use 2 of the same power

Tyranid CC weapons do stack

Multiple Hive Commanders and Pheremone Trails do not stack for adding to reserve rolls, although Hive Commander and Pheremone Trail do stack with each other

If a Hive Tyrant or Swarlord joins a unit with the shieldwall ability it can not be individually picked out for the purposes of shooting.

Tyranid prime has the option for wings at 20 points

Ripper Swarms do not count for Kill Points

Hive Tyrant upgrades Armored Shell, Thorax Swarms, and Wings all cost 10 less points

Lictors and Deathleaper can choose to infiltrate in missions that allow it instead of using the Chameoleonic Skin rule

Psychic Scream and Spirit Leech do not effect units inside transports allow Aura of Despair does.

Venomthropes have the IC rule

Pyrovore has a 3+ save standard

Harpy has a 3+ save standard

Carnifex and Old One Eye has 2+ save standard

Multiple Carnifexs in a single brood is no longer an option

Ymgarl Genestealers have the option for stealth for 2 points a model

Genestealers have the option for stealth for 1 point a model

Raveners have the option for Adrenal glands at 5 points a model

Tyrannofex loses stinger salvo and spine cluster but can now choose either fleshborer hive or rupture cannon in addition to acid spray.(ie can have rupture cannon and acid spray)

For deepstriking purposes mawlocs can be placed directly over enemy models but not over friendly models or impassable terrain.

Looks a bit Biased to me. All you really did was slim down some rules and you did not even cover some of the most basic problems. Also you rewrote the Codex in a fashion so no. Also MC CAN use 2 psychic powers a turn IF they forgo their shooting.

SPYDER68
10-06-2010, 15:16
Looks a bit Biased to me. All you really did was slim down some rules and you did not even cover some of the most basic problems. Also you rewrote the Codex in a fashion so no. Also MC CAN use 2 psychic powers a turn IF they forgo their shooting.

Psychic powers specifically says they can use 1 power a turn.

That is why the swarmlord has a special rule so he can use 2.

Rest of the biggens cannot use 2 powers a turn.

snaketrap
10-06-2010, 15:34
I think you guys are missing the point. I think what the OP is saying (with a considerable bit of sarcasm) is that if he could put together a FAQ this easily, surely GW could have done it by now. What he chose to include in his FAQ and the rulings he made are just there to illustrate the point. And he's totally right. There's no reason why GW couldn't have released a FAQ ages ago. The issues with the codex are well known and documented. The research has been done.

Vepr
10-06-2010, 15:39
Unfortunately it is not that easy. It is not surprising that it is taking so long for the FAQ to come out because of all the special rules that are about as clear as a pint of Guinness. The FAQ will probably be so long it will have a forward written by Abnett and a index.

Bunnahabhain
10-06-2010, 15:39
Can I suggest we ignore this as a bad attempt at trolling?

Lord Damocles
10-06-2010, 15:44
I think what the OP is saying (with a considerable bit of sarcasm) is that if he could put together a FAQ this easily, surely GW could have done it by now.
If that is in fact the case, the point is poorly made as, however easy it was for VetSgtSchaeffer to type out this 'FAQ', the fact that so much of it is blatantly wrong/not actually an FAQ would suggest that writing a/the proper FAQ isn't as easy as it might seem.

I could just as well post:

Hey guys! I've written a Tyranid FAQ! Look:

Puppies

There. If I can write an FAQ this quickly, why can't GW?!? :mad:

That's not to say that the Tyranid FAQ isn't overdue, of course; but that any point in the original post is badly illustrated.

scar face
10-06-2010, 16:13
Funny how he's never posted on this topic again :P

Lunatic Fringe
10-06-2010, 16:16
That was a dirty trick. I thought we finally got our faq from gw.

scar face
10-06-2010, 16:24
Nope- I scrolled over the thread and it brought up the preview window.

scar

10-06-2010, 16:25
That was a dirty trick. I thought we finally got our faq from gw.

:mad:Not cool:cries:

Monachus
10-06-2010, 16:52
I think you guys are missing the point.

:wtf:

how can you say that sentence whilst totally missing the point yourself?

it's easy for "dave" to decide the space marine codex is unbalanced and would be fixed by adding the additional rule "Impervious" (space marines can never be killed)to the entire codex, does that mean "dave" should be writing the rules?

If Ralph decided ork tanks should be able to use the additional rule "fall to bits" (they fall apart the first time they shoot), should he be writing codexes?

If "bob" decides that necrons toughness should be raised to 11, Inquisitors must always be armed with candyfloss and commissars must carry handbags, would that mean he is wasted collecting shopping trolleys and he should lead the design team?

Vepr
10-06-2010, 17:04

it's easy for "dave" to decide the space marine codex is unbalanced and would be fixed by adding the additional rule "Impervious" (space marines can never be killed)to the entire codex, does that mean "dave" should be writing the rules?

If Ralph decided ork tanks should be able to use the additional rule "fall to bits" (they fall apart the first time they shoot), should he be writing codexes?

If "bob" decides that necrons toughness should be raised to 11, Inquisitors must always be armed with candyfloss and commissars must carry handbags, would that mean he is wasted collecting shopping trolleys and he should lead the design team?

I agree with the candyfloss and handbag rules. :p

snaketrap
10-06-2010, 17:05

What point is it that you think I'm missing?

The point I think the OP was trying to make is that the FAQ is long overdue, especially since at this point any player can pretty easily research all the problems and come up with a home brew FAQ. whether that FAQ is well thought out, well written and balanced is beside the point. The point is that it wouldn't take a GW staff writer much longer to compile a FAQ then it took the OP. not now, after months of playing, question asking, research and posting done by various communities around the internet.

Again, what point did you think I was missing?

Wolf Lord Balrog
10-06-2010, 17:13
The OP's point might be poorly illustrated, but the point still stands. GW's lag time on ... everything, is ridiculous. No other gaming company I know of moves at such a glacial pace, nor would they survive for long if they did.

Monachus
10-06-2010, 17:54
whether that FAQ is well thought out, well written and balanced is beside the point

also beside the point is "what are you smoking?"

The SkaerKrow
10-06-2010, 17:55
But they do survive, and people keep buying their products and playing their games, so they have no reason at all to change their practices.

jsullivanlaw
10-06-2010, 18:37
I think you guys are missing the point. I think what the OP is saying (with a considerable bit of sarcasm) is that if he could put together a FAQ this easily, surely GW could have done it by now. What he chose to include in his FAQ and the rulings he made are just there to illustrate the point. And he's totally right. There's no reason why GW couldn't have released a FAQ ages ago. The issues with the codex are well known and documented. The research has been done.

He put together this FAQ in 10 minutes, but it also sucks. It doesn't address the real core rules problems and made a lot of rulings that are flat out WRONG. I would hope GW takes the time to actually test things out and then make rulings.

rooster82
10-06-2010, 18:39
Dont listen to the haters you nailed it. Is it too much to ask that in the internet age that GW can release a faq or even release a version 1.2 codex that clears up stupid rules questions and buffs nerfs units so that ALL choices in the codex are viable. This is not a CCG there is no reason that some units are worthless or horribly overcosted.

Monachus
10-06-2010, 22:25
Dont listen to the haters you nailed it.

indeed, why not just make it slightly fairer by making nids kill everything in one turn on a d6 roll of 2+

Balerion
11-06-2010, 11:41
The only problem here is the misuse of the term FAQ. Presenting those ideas as a FAQ, rather than a hypothetical fix, has gotten peoples' dander up. Bad choice of word, op.

Most of the suggestions are good ideas, and have been widely suggested by many players. Although, tbh, there are also a few spectacular clunkers stuffed in there, like the dual psychic powers idea.

MystheDevourer
11-06-2010, 13:32
Psychic powers specifically says they can use 1 power a turn.

That is why the swarmlord has a special rule so he can use 2.

Rest of the biggens cannot use 2 powers a turn.

Not true BRB in the Psychic section says that MC's that can use Psychic powers can forgo their normal shooting attack for the use of a second Psychic power.

SPYDER68
11-06-2010, 15:32
Sorry but your reading the rules wrong.

1: It states you may only use 1 Psychic power a turn.

2: It states you may use 2 Psychic shooting powers a turn if you can basically shoot multi weapons.

3: It NEVER says this allows you to bypass #1..

You cannot toss out 1 rule to use another.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251256&highlight=Psychic

anywho.. im done with it here, try the rules forum if you still think your right :P or just play it how you want.

Flying Toaster
11-06-2010, 18:41
Where is all the hate coming from? I mean most of those changes dont seem game breaking to me and seem reasonable whilst fixing some of the major issues.

Oh and while your at it, remove the pyrovore from the face of existence please! :P Its embarassing!

Obviously theres some bits that need fixing but its not bad as a fix for the codex. I know its not really and FAQ as such for some of it but its better than most of the moaning persons can do. (the challenge has been laid down :P)