PDA

View Full Version : Least costly yet effiective army?

ooglatjama
10-06-2010, 19:13
Is there an army that is cheap to start and still good in the tourney scene? Or are all the armies equally priced to get started?

AFnord
10-06-2010, 19:16
You can get a lot of cheap marines thanks to AoBR, and the second hand market. These you can either use in a basic marine army, a blood angels army, a black templar army or a space wolf army (or with a little bit of conversion work a chaos marine army). All of these are good tournament armies, so pick the one that tickles your fancy. Dark angels are slightly behind on the power scale, but if you prefer them, then you can use those tac marines there.

Gimp
10-06-2010, 19:18
I find buying only the models you will need/want is a good start. I have seen alot of people buy models that look great on paper. Use them a couple of times and then they leave them on the shelf to gather dust.

I am about to start a Chaos Space Marine list after a couple of weeks of planning. Should be fun and its not that expensive as i thought it would be only R3800

Charistoph
10-06-2010, 19:22
Orks could be another, they are more fragile than Space Marines, but their quantity has a quality all their own. And they have models in the starter set.

Bestaltan
10-06-2010, 19:31
Orks could be another, they are more fragile than Space Marines, but their quantity has a quality all their own. And they have models in the starter set.

Not only that, but they have GOOD models. Can't go wrong with boyz, warbosses, and nobz. And even deffkoptas have their very useful place in certain builds.

Gimp
10-06-2010, 19:38
Orks can be cheap but they can aslo be extremely expensive. The amounts of boc sets you need to do a green tide style army is huge

LonelyPath
10-06-2010, 19:43
Another vote here for Orks. Plus they're great to convert and you can just about use anything to make anything. If you're not afraid of having a go, you can turn a Boy into almost any other unit in the army, including Lootas if you're willing to experiment (Lootas being one of the best units in the list).

Hicks
10-06-2010, 19:48
A Death Guard army using converted AOBR marines turned into Plague Marines is a good choice too.

Bonzai
10-06-2010, 19:54
In my opinion, aside from some steals on e-bay, the best bargain/competative set is the Chaos Renegade Strike force set.

$240, and you get a battle ready 1500 point mechanized army out of the box. It includes; 2 chaos marine squads, 5 terminators, a Chaos Lord, 2 Rhinos, a land raider, a defiler, and a vindicator. It's hard to beat that kind of savings, and its an extremely solid foundation to start your army on. I also believe that the Lord is the terminator set, which I think allows for you to make him a termi-sorcerer for more options. I really wish they had more sets like this, as it was well thought out, solid, and a great bargain.

Rydmend
10-06-2010, 20:13
In my opinion, aside from some steals on e-bay, the best bargain/competative set is the Chaos Renegade Strike force set.

$240, and you get a battle ready 1500 point mechanized army out of the box. It includes; 2 chaos marine squads, 5 terminators, a Chaos Lord, 2 Rhinos, a land raider, a defiler, and a vindicator. It's hard to beat that kind of savings, and its an extremely solid foundation to start your army on. I also believe that the Lord is the terminator set, which I think allows for you to make him a termi-sorcerer for more options. I really wish they had more sets like this, as it was well thought out, solid, and a great bargain.

I agree with this as the strike force is a great deal. While it isn't the most effective army out there it can still hold its own; it gets even more competitive if you convert those chaos marines into deathguard.

You can buy a daemon prince and another DG squad in a rhino to add 500 points for a decent 2k army.

Raven1
10-06-2010, 20:16
space marines would be the army. A lot of plastic kits and a good bunch or in the basic box set.

EmperorEternalXIX
10-06-2010, 20:19
Is there an army that is cheap to start and still good in the tourney scene? Or are all the armies equally priced to get started? Space Wolves.

From 5 $35ish boxes, you can make an excellent starting core of 50 models, and can build almost any infantry unit with almost any weapons (sorry flamer and melta fans...). Add in some rhinos and you are golden. GW also sells individual five-packs of Goblin Wolf Rider mounts if you want to add some Fenrisian Wolves to the list on the cheap. You could feasibly get to 2000 points for just around $200 dollars.

The best part? You'll win a lot, too. hehe. ;)

Perth
10-06-2010, 20:33
Is there an army that is cheap to start and still good in the tourney scene? Or are all the armies equally priced to get started?

Deathwing is probably the least expensive army to field. You need a special character and two five man terminator squads. After that just add more terminator squads and/or landraiders to suit your taste.