PDA

View Full Version : Ghorgon or Cygor?

Rosstifer
10-06-2010, 23:49
Pretty much what the title says, I have a plastic giant kit, a lot of Minotaur and other bits and a lot of greenstuff and I'm not sure which one to make. I like the stone throwing ability of the Cygor but the Ghorgon is toughness 6 and is brutal in CC.

Please don't just say "There both overpriced" or "They both suck" because I'm making one or the other and would genuinely like some input.

Ignore my vote that to make sure the poll was working.

BattleofLund
11-06-2010, 00:27
I like the stone throwing ability of the Cygor but the Ghorgon is toughness 6 and is brutal in CC.

I won't be finishing any Beastmen Monsters anytime soon, but...

From a gaming diversity point of view, a Ghorgon is more-of-close-combat-ability, in an army pretty much dedicated to close-combat-ability. Therefore I would choose the Cygor; just because it gives an option otherwise lacking in the army.

Wasn't there some additional anti-magic bonus of the Cygor, too...?

Barry "the blade"
11-06-2010, 01:05
I'm not a Beasts player, but having read the book I would go with the Cygor just to keep the games more interesting than just move, fight, die.

lelandchaska
11-06-2010, 02:25
Monsters with no kind of defense are really going to be hurting in 8th Ed. If I remember correctly, none of the rare beastmen monsters have any kind of save at all, just high toughness (not sure about the jabbersclythe thing). The new step up rule, along with the fact that 1 strength can now wound a 6 toughness, means that close combat monsters with no save are not going to fare well.

The cygor is the better way to go. That two foot radius anti-magic ability may serve you well, and the improved stone-thrower rules (no guess, no partials) will make him more useful.

PurchasedPig
11-06-2010, 09:46
I don't play Beasts eiter but if I did the reason would be the Cygor. Very cool idea in my opinion, would love to see the model (I always envision a giant hairy Plaguebearer :)) and it's rules fill a gap in the Beastmen army with the Stone Thrower. The anti-magic is icing on the cake but, more specifically, it can be very useful, especially I think, in 8th edition where it sounds like a lot of spells will be able to neutraluse a lot of Monsters quite effectively. S6 has been bandered about a lot in the rumours for Lores of Heavens and Fire so bye bye Ghorgon.

Finally, the re-roll to hit thing is hilarious. Hands-down. Take that Vampires/Daemons!

Hope this helps,

-PurchasedPig-

Memnos
11-06-2010, 10:09
The Ghorgon has several advantages over the Cygor:

1) It has 6 attacks and Frenzy(for 7) compared to 5 attacks.
2) It has Ld 10 instead of Ld 8(Great for controlling its Frenzy).
3) As it wins combat, it will go from being +2 attacks to +3, +4 and up.
4) +1 Toughness

The Cygor, on the other hand, has several advantages:

1) It has a missile weapon - It can thus attack every round and with the new Horde rules, will probably cause a lot of damage.

2) It has a reroll to hit against magic-using creatures. . This means it will hit 55% against WS 5 or above and hit 75% of the time against WS2-4 magic-using creatures.

3) A decent ability against Wizards, who tend to have lower Ld than fighty-heroes. Will it make a huge difference?

Maybe.

If what you want is something to do damage and win combat, the Ghorgon is the way to go. If what you want is something that operates as a poor man's Hellcannon, the Cygor is the way to go.

AramilSairSianontel
11-06-2010, 10:17
Voted for Cygor. Imo, and having faced the new beasts a few times now, i think ghorgon is nice, but cygor is mandatory.

Paraelix
11-06-2010, 10:24
2) It has a reroll to hit against magic-using creatures. . This means it will hit 55% against WS 5 or above and hit 75% of the time against WS2-4 magic-using creatures.

Specifically models with a ward save... And, oh look, that happens to be every model using Hand Weapon and Shield...

(unless there's some other stipulation I've missed)

Memnos
11-06-2010, 13:30
Specifically models with a ward save... And, oh look, that happens to be every model using Hand Weapon and Shield...

(unless there's some other stipulation I've missed)

Hahah. Touche. I hadn't thought of that.

Bets on whether or not -that- gets FAQ'd? ;) The intent of the rule is to allow rerolls against people who have magic around them. Methinks that picking up a metal plate and sticking it in front of you doesn't make you stand out in the realm of magic.

Malorian
11-06-2010, 13:53
Throwing rocks with no partials beats one lucky bite in my books.

t-crane123
11-06-2010, 17:16
go for cygor no partials anymore and no more guessing range
but armour saves are now allowed which is a bit bum

CrystalSphere
11-06-2010, 18:01
I think the Ghorgon is the better pick, unless you are very worried about magic. You won´t be using the stonethrower of the cygor much (because you want him in combat asap, not getting shot to pieces). The Ghorgon has the toughness needed to get across the board, Ld10 with frenzy, stubborn (can hold one unit in place) and is deadly in combat. The cygor is an expensive giant with some extra bitz, most of them useless if you ask me.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
11-06-2010, 18:10
Do both and take a BSB

Gaargod
12-06-2010, 03:48
New magic means the cygor becomes an absolute b******. Nothing like failing to cast the super high level requirements and more or less being automatically gimped.

SevenSins
13-06-2010, 16:17
cygor, more flexible with its stone throwing and anti-magic, and as said cc power should be covered in a beasts army.

Also the cygor pursues 3d6 (not sure how that would work out in 8th though..)

Rhaivaen
13-06-2010, 23:39
I voted Cygor,
Fluff-wise:
I love Cyclops, and not just as dumb brutes, and this one is even more cool for his magic seeing abilities...
Inbred Magic Resistance is nifty, simply because there arent that many items which give such defences, and especially not for large monsters.

Game-wise:
Beastmen do not have much in the form of missile attacks, only ungor raiders, and 1 character spear/ bolt thrower item, thus taking a stone thrower with no minimum range AND the ability to move and shoot is imo icing.

Comparing it to a poor-man's Hellcannon is unfair imo.

I see a Cygor as a mobile anti magic bubble/ Artillery piece, which will be very useful to pick out things to shoot at..

I will take 2, if and when I have a clear idea of how to convert them.
(I dont like the Giant model, so using that as the basis is for me not an option, but you can build it as you prefer!, go for it!)