PDA

View Full Version : Has Blizzard Entertainment completely copied GW ideas?

Marshmalo
11-06-2010, 12:57
I've been a longterm fan of both GW and Blizzards games but can't help noticing the similarities between them, look how similar Blizzards Zerg are to GW Tyranids, or the famous space marines and the Terran. Elder use crystaline tecnology, oh look protoss do to...

Also the back story to the High elves and the sword of Khaine is remarkebly similar to the story of warcraft3, with Arthas taking up a powerful sword that ultimatly corrupts him.

I know some concepts are universal to fantasy/sci fi (eg: Treemen) but if you ask me Blizzard is guilty of blantant plagarism when it comes to the design and concept of Games workshop's intellectual property.

eriochrome
11-06-2010, 13:03
Probably not significantly worse than GW did to those that came before them. Genestealers and Space Hulk look a lot like Alien/Aliens, Dark Future/Mad Max, and many fantasy ideas across the whole genre go back to LOTR.

Grimmeth
11-06-2010, 13:16
Starcraft owes much more to Starship Troopers than it does 40K (in fact, 40k owes rather large chunks to Starship troopers, but still)
Fantasy, meh - most of the ideas had been around long before GW took them (swords corrupting people? I'd imagine there are ancient legends detailing something similar - certainly Beowulf follows the concept of corruption (admittedly not through a sword, but a similar gist).
There is a rumour about Warcraft originally being a Warhammer game, GW didn't like the way it was going so ordered Blizzard to stop and Blizzard altered bits of it. Apparently GW did try to take Blizz to court over this but I can't find any evidence in my (admittedly brief) look through Lexus Nexus.

Perhaps a more interesting observation is that Andy Chambers now works directly for Blizz on the Starcraft 2 team, and that, just after Warhammer 8th was announced to have a July release date SC2 was announced to be released in July.
Perhaps a subtle dig by Chambers to try to lower GW's sales of 8th ed?

freddythebig
11-06-2010, 14:39
Blizzard and GW both re-cycle many fantasy elements just as this thread does with all those that have gone before ;-)

Deamon-forge
11-06-2010, 17:10
im sure or i think blizz and GW were once a team and thats how warcraft got made but GW pulled out and blizz carried on....i think.

Charax
11-06-2010, 18:00
A longterm fan of both GW and Blizzard who doesn't already know the deal with this?

Guess there had to be one, somewhere

isaac
11-06-2010, 22:35
GW ripped everyone off and added their own twist, Blizzard ripped off GW (partly justified to their prior relationship) and the rest and added their own twist. They each have inspired each other in various ways.

I think that is all.

chromedog
11-06-2010, 22:39
how similar Blizzards Zerg are to GW Tyranids, or the famous space marines and the Terran. Elder use crystaline tecnology, oh look protoss do to...
Oh look, Kryptonians also used crystal tech. (Superman the movie - which also predated 40k). Zerg look more inspired by Giger's xenomorph stuff (only with less penis-heads) than GW (and GW used the same inspiration). More a case of parallel evolution than direct copy.

I know some concepts are universal to fantasy/sci fi (eg: Treemen) but if you ask me Blizzard is guilty of blantant plagarism when it comes to the design and concept of Games workshop's intellectual property.

Good thing we aren't asking you, then. Much of GWs IP is "homaged" from other sources and given a subtle twist.

Tolkien borrowed mythic cycles from previous writers and wove them into a new tapestry (well, throw-rug) for Lotr. None of his work is especially 'new' and the inspiration is very transparent if one knows where to look.

There was another miniatures game back at the start of the 90s.
Kryomek. It had alien warriors (the kryomek) who had snakelike bodies with organic sybiotic weaponry in it (indeed, some of GWs raveners look similar to them) - these were when Tyranids were the bucktoothed-see-organs-through-ribcage models and long before the current 'look'. It looks more like Blizzard copied them than GW.

Everything is derivative if one knows where to look.

WarmbloodedLizard
12-06-2010, 18:44
Starcraft owes much more to Starship Troopers than it does 40K

I not so sure about that. ST release was only 4 months before SC release. I doubt that it influenced SC too much and assume that it was mostly a coincidence.

caddock
12-06-2010, 19:03
I not so sure about that. ST release was only 4 months before SC release. I doubt that it influenced SC too much and assume that it was mostly a coincidence.

Starship Troopers was published in 1959. The MI in the novel wear power armour, similar to Terminators, that's why they were called apes. In an earlier short story, Misfit, Heinlein coined the phrase Space Marines. That was 1932.

Epicenter
12-06-2010, 19:03
Over the years, I've heard persistent rumors that GW and Blizzard were making a fantasy-themed RTS based on Warhammer at one point. Then GW pulled out of the partnership, but Blizzard decided to forge on anyway and released the game as Warcraft (the original Warcraft). Sadly, I don't have any proof; only that I keep hearing it.

A unit with twin pistols and jetpacks in Starcraft II does sound suspiciously like Seraphim and I don't think there's many other units of light anti-infantry troops who fly around with twin pistols and jetpacks (mostly because the idea is so idiotic).

isaac
12-06-2010, 19:15
Except you have SoB, which are different in style from SM assault troopers. If the SC ones had a CC weapon with pistol, then you could say something.

WarmbloodedLizard
12-06-2010, 22:15
Starship Troopers was published in 1959. The MI in the novel wear power armour, similar to Terminators, that's why they were called apes. In an earlier short story, Misfit, Heinlein coined the phrase Space Marines. That was 1932.

I can use wikipedia, too. but it doesn't show any direct connection to SC, only to 40k. :)

t-tauri
12-06-2010, 22:45
Already here. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211202) Thread closed. People who post no content "in before the lock" posts need to be aware that that will be treated as spamming.