PDA

View Full Version : Battle Foam Trays Question

Reece
11-06-2010, 17:24
Have any of you guys used the Battle Foam trays for your Leman Russes or Sentinels? It says the trays are 3" in height, but that's REAL close as far the measurements go on a Russ. Plus, a Sentinel is just over 3" without including the antennae for the Armageddon patterned ones.

Anyway... any feedback on the Battle Foam stuff is appreciated. I'm considering getting some since the Army Transport isn't working out for me since I have so many vehicles.

Thanks.

-Reece

Hashmal
11-06-2010, 17:33
They are expensive. My friend uses them for all his armies. I must say, the production value is extremely high. They are the best army carriers I've ever seen. He stores his tanks in them with no issues, but he had those trays custom cut. I also believe his might be 4" high. I could be mistaken on that.

Regardless, I intend to order Battlefoam when I get my next paycheck. Truly awesome stuff, if you can afford it.

Scorpius_78
11-06-2010, 17:41
Battle Foam is one if the best things you can get for your army (imo).

I myself have the P.A.C.K. 1520 for my Eldar army and have been nothing but pleased with the product. If your worryed about sizes of models or anything like that, just give them a call tell them what you need and they're work with ya.

Hope this helps man

Reece
11-06-2010, 19:25
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

-Reece

BigBadBull
11-06-2010, 20:36
I have a 1520 for my Super heavies ( Reaver, 2 Bane chassies) and a Pack MAX for my on the go Deathwing army ( Thunderhawk ,4 LR, 6 dreads , 168 termies... with space to spare).

I'm going gradually convert all my Army transport stuff over. The build quality is top notch, and the custom cut trays rock.

Only down side I've found so far...cost is Sky high.

Maine
11-06-2010, 20:52
I have a PACK 1520 for my Mechanized Steel Legion.

The 3" ones are great for Chimeras and Russes, though if you have a tank commander you may want to remove the turret and set it apart. Some of the trays have extra areas for bits like this. The new Manticore also fits, as long as the missiles are in the lowered position (yay for movable models!)

For Sentinels I would definitely recommend the 4" try, which are also great for Basilisks.

In total my PACK 1520 fits:

2 trays of troops (can fit ~140 in total, I have maybe 80 so far in there)
13 heavy weapon teams (60mm base)
9 Chimeras
5 Russes/variants (with 2 empty slots for more)
1 Manticore (new style)
3 Basilisks (Armageddon pattern)
4 Sentinels
2 Valkyries w/ wings detached

... and some room to spare (2 empty Russ slots, 2 empty Sentinel slots, some more space for shorter heavy weapons teams.

The cost seems high, but it's cheaper than Sabol Army Transport in money spent per figure stored, and the build quality is much better. A single BattleFoam PACK 1520 w/ 1" troop trays, vs 2 Sabol ArmyTransport Division cases w/ 1" troop trays assuming can get it like that without paying extra, the PACK 1520 was 20% cheaper per figure stored.

The single $300 PACK1520 could carry 12% more figures in 1-inch slots in a single case than 2 Sabol Division cases at $340, has backpack straps (though they could be more comfortable), hard plastic sides, and foam that won't left away from the try for figures to slip between slots.

RCgothic
11-06-2010, 22:11
Note that the sentinels don't have to stand upright, you could easily get them custom cut lying on their side, which would make a 2.5" tray sufficient.

Reece
11-06-2010, 22:22
I'm looking at the Pack 1520 for my stuff. I just haven't decided on trays yet. I've got a lot of crap. :) I'm gonna get all my vehicles laid out and see what set-up works best for me. I know I can't put em all in there at once, but I won't be using that much on a regular basis.

@Maine: Thanks for the heads up on the 4" trays for the Sentinels. Do you use the Armageddon pattern or something else?

-Reece

Kozbot
11-06-2010, 22:34
I've got the Pack 1520 and it is by far and away the best investment I've ever made as far as 40k goes. Yeah it's a fair chunk of change but it does an excellent job of protecting my models and can take a fair bit of abuse and keep everything in perfect condition. It has completely eliminated what had previously been a good 10 minutes I spent having to repair various models and waiting for glue to dry before playing.

That said I want to echo the point about having models sticking out of your tank hatches. I've got a few 'command' rhinos with guys sticking out of the top and same with predators and they're too tall to fit in the 3" trays. I also have a few dreadnaughts whose banner poles are just too tall to fit. However since everything is done custom you can just request to have one tray taller to fit any dynamically posed models you have.

Raven1
11-06-2010, 22:34
thanks for the post. I have looked at Battle foam, but i was not sure if it was the way to go, but it seems like it is the way to go for high quality army transportation.

maaksel
12-06-2010, 05:01
Anyone have a discount code or anything?

If I could rock like a 25% off I'd order for most of my armies. I just can't justify dropping ~600 bucks on it right now.

Price out and got the 1520 pack, with trays to support a 'hot swap' for dwarfs/empire, then orks/spacewolves.

Axeman1n
12-06-2010, 06:05
I went with my LGS, and got a bulk discount from them. I too have a lot more foam for "hotswap" with my 1520 bag.

maaksel
12-06-2010, 13:37
I went with my LGS, and got a bulk discount from them. I too have a lot more foam for "hotswap" with my 1520 bag.

Unfortunately I don't know of any around here that offer battle foam.

Closest is up in Baltimore (I'm in DC), about 90 min since its on the far side of BM.

druchii
12-06-2010, 21:58
I've got four bags from Battlefoam.

I own two 432's (one for my Sisters, and one for my Eldar) and two 1520s (one which holds almost 7k of my demons) and one waiting to be filled with my Space Wolves.

The only downside to the 432s is that you NEED to buy some other piece of foam or the trays will knock around and the minis (usually metal ones) will fall out of the trays.

The 1520s are amazing, though. They fit so many models that I was actually quite surprised. I also like the little zip off top portion, which I can tote around my 1500pt (although I could fit like 1000 more points in it) "tournament" army around.

d