PDA

View Full Version : How to run 30x Man Units

Templar47
12-06-2010, 22:30
Recently, I was able to find someone with some more 6th edition empire models, which will finally allow me to upgrade my 2x units of spearmen to 30x for each unit. However, after looking at the 8th edition rules, I was planning on fielding them in a 6x5 formation, but some people say that I should field them in a 5x6 formation. Which formation would probably be better for Empire State Troops in general.

Djekar
12-06-2010, 22:39
If those are the choices, then definitely 5 wide and 6 deep. The extra 1(2 if spears get used) attacks you make is not worth the increased frontage. WS3 S3 is nothing to right home about or for your opponents to fear.

papabearshane
12-06-2010, 23:06
5x6 will be the best as stubborn is great and a detachment of 15 swordsmen will still take ranks away and flanking bonuses.........

VonUber
12-06-2010, 23:19
I take a block of 30 dark elf spearmem with shields and a warbanner. Some times i add a bsb in there with a great weapon and the armour of darkness.

I usualy use them 6 wide. But vs things like brets, i use them 5 wide. It depends on the frontage of the enemy.

trapper
13-06-2010, 04:18
I'd have to side with the 5x6 group on this. Against most armies/units that one extra rank bonus will also usualy work out better than 2-3 extra attacks. Think a man vs man (LA and shield). Hit on 4+, wound on 4+ and then a 5+ save. That is one wound per 6 attacks. Loosing 2-3 attacks and gaining a guaranteed combat resolution point for a rank seems like it would be a great trade off. And against t4+ units or with more armor it will become even more of a good trade off to loose those extra attacks.

SamVimes
13-06-2010, 04:43
Yeah, definitely 5X6. But if you up it to 50 (Crazy idea), then 10X5. But I wouldn't do horde with units smaller than 50, so 5X6 will be your best bet to pick up the other infantry bonus that's being tossed out.

Skywave
13-06-2010, 05:50
I've done a 7x4 formation of Spearmen myself, screw those that say extra S3 attack aren't worth it, I like throwing dice :p I also have another 40 Spearmen that are just asking to go 10x4 :D I will decide after I've read the book but for now that's the plan!

RanaldLoec
13-06-2010, 07:18
I've been running two units of spears 30 odd strong for 4 years and if you want to save on deployment room 5 wide 6 deep. It leaves room for your volly guns and other black powder goodies.

I do some times run 6 wide 6 deep just to **** off the local orc an hobbies player, still I can't match our residents beard who enjoys fielding 100 gnoblars for the sheer hell of it

ChaosVC
13-06-2010, 15:24
I usually magnetised them on a movement tray and run around the game shop with 30 others gamers. I made sure those are not my minis.

Arkfatalis
13-06-2010, 17:38
With the new edition there is a rule called "horde". Any unit can horde but it has to be 10 models wide and 3 models deep. You get another rank to fight and gain stubborn, so I would look at maybe trying to horde.

CrystalSphere
13-06-2010, 20:12
You should go full on whatever you decide, that is either small wide big deep (5x6) which reduce the potential attacks of the enemy, at the cost of your own attacks. Or 10 wide X deep (minimun 4, to get attacks from all ranks) in case you want to be able to put out many S3 attacks. If you ask me i would stick to the tested 5x6 formation, and perhaps later once you have more miniatures (40 or 50) you may want to try out the horde formation. But i would advise to stay away from middle grounds like 6 wide.

Templar47
15-06-2010, 01:47
Well, running empire spearmen in a 5x6 formation makes since, but what about Empire Halberds? Since they can be able to fight in more ranks, which means more S4 attacks, wouldn't it be a good idea to run 30x of them w/a warrior priest in a 6x5 formation?

Mudkip
15-06-2010, 03:46
You'd need at least 40, preferably 50 models to fight in horde formation effectively because you end up taking a lot of losses. It's really a bloodbath sometimes according to the maths and it comes down to those with the staying power. I'd run 30 Halberdiers 6x5 too. Their advantage is that they are cheap, not that they possess any great offensive power. In the end there is not too much difference between the state troops anyway, you may as well just take the infantry that appeal to you for all the difference it will make.