PDA

View Full Version : Incoming: Island of Blood

Pages : [1] 2

Scryer in the Darkness
14-06-2010, 14:50
Yes the crazy GW web team is at it again, article up briefly and then taken down.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=0&aId=9800041a&start=1

Incoming: Island of Blood

Enter, if you dare, the Warhammer world; it is a strange and dangerous realm, riven with battle, bloodshed and slaughter, twisted beyond sanity by the warping power of Chaos.

The Island of Blood is the new boxed game for Warhammer and is released this September. Packed full of stunning plastic Citadel miniatures and containing all the rules, dice and templates you'll need to play, it's the essential purchase for fans of the Warhammer hobby. Meanwhile, if you like the Battle for Skull Pass boxed game (and who wouldn't with all those Goblins and Dwarfs Dwarfs) then it only seems fair to point out that once the last few remaining copies are they're gone, and they're never coming back! Pick one up while they last.

In August we'll be featuring more information about The Island of Blood here on the website and the full details will be released in September's White Dwarf, so keep your eyes peeled.

Ultimate Life Form
14-06-2010, 15:03
So... Island of Blood...

Somehow sounds like a bad horror movie. Tropical island paradise with maneater sharks/crocodiles/trolls.

But guessing from the title, what could it be? I think the word 'island' in the title would befit the rumored High Elves, but then again I could be entirely wrong.

Cambion Daystar
14-06-2010, 15:15
:wtf: I find it a horrible name for a starterset.

Venkh
14-06-2010, 15:22
Sounds like the title of one of those old fighting fantasy books

TheZombieSquig
14-06-2010, 15:30
Aug-Sept :s

I hope we get miniature pictures when the countdown on the website is at 0.

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-06-2010, 15:31
Damn, for a moment I thought it was about a new boardgame or something like that and got all excited. But I suppose that would really be FFG instead then.

Scelerat
14-06-2010, 15:32
So... we had Skaven confirmed, didn't we? Am I the only one who's fearing a last minute change to Daemons, WoC or something like that?

Spinocus
14-06-2010, 15:37
Wheee, I love it when my rumors can beat up other people's rumors!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4698853#post4698853

Got a tidbit from a GW employee regarding the name of the 8th ed starter set... 'Isle of Blood'.

Ah, almost forgot. I was also told that BRB will come with a cloth cover and cloth bookmark (not sure if the latter is a separate item or attached to the cloth cover).

And that's all I got...

twistinthunder
14-06-2010, 16:09
to me island of blood screams high elves vs dark elves ot high elves vs khorne daemons and i dont know why i think the first one.

Odin
14-06-2010, 16:11
So... we had Skaven confirmed, didn't we? Am I the only one who's fearing a last minute change to Daemons, WoC or something like that?

Yeah, cos plastic kits only take about 18 months to make, so they can easily do it as a last-minute change can't they? :rolleyes:

Scelerat
14-06-2010, 16:14
I'd love that to be the case (DE vs. HE), but somehow I doubt they will put two Elven races in the starter set. That would be not too diverse. After all, they are the same thing with different armours. Also, both of them have special rules that apply only when fighting the other one. And it would mean there should be some cavalry in that box, which would have to be Dark Riders (CoK are expensive points-wise, so if they were included there would be about 5 minis of them at most), and the rumour of them being worked on were discredited, I believe.
But that would make for some awesome Dark Elf minis. A hero on a manticore, for example.
Anyway, didn't we hear there would be a warpstone pile included in the starter set? Could it still be Skaven, despite the name? I doubt it too, but hey...
Anyway, DE, Skaven and Daemons are armies I like. Bring it on!

EDIT: Odin, no need to be sarcastic. I think it was clearly implied that we would have the wrong info until the last minute.

RealMikeBob
14-06-2010, 16:16
Perhaps Skaven attacking a remote Elven sea fort on a distant tip of Cathay?

Odin
14-06-2010, 16:34
EDIT: Odin, no need to be sarcastic. I think it was clearly implied that we would have the wrong info until the last minute.

Yes there is - I'm having a really bad day at work.

Tarliyn
14-06-2010, 17:05
well I heard on good authority that, helf vs. skaven was not what was in the box.

This only strengthens that belief. Though that name doesn't match with what I heard either...

I am intentionally being vague, I don't want to get my head bit off for offering information where I can't state sources

mdiscala
14-06-2010, 17:09
Aug-Sept :s

I hope we get miniature pictures when the countdown on the website is at 0.

Yeah it'll suck if they don't put any up.

Scelerat
14-06-2010, 17:12
Yes there is - I'm having a really bad day at work.

Oh, ok then. It's always good to know you're being useful...

Tarlyin, speak out. We can always bite your head off for not doing it :)

Kaos
14-06-2010, 18:02
Was there no fluff in the Skaven book about them reaching a distant elven watchtower or something fighting the crap out of each other there? Maybe it was on a Island.. of Blood.. I do not have the book here so i cant check it out now.

Avian
14-06-2010, 18:09
"The Battle at the Gates of Calith" - it was possibly dismissed as being too difficult to pronounce.

Spinocus
14-06-2010, 18:30
So... Island of Blood...

Somehow sounds like a bad horror movie. Tropical island paradise with maneater sharks/crocodiles/trolls.

And blood... you forgot the blood. There will be blood... :evilgrin:

:wtf: I find it a horrible name for a starterset.

So 'Skull Pass' is less cheesy than 'Island of Blood'? :eyebrows:

I think it's pretty obvious what frequency GW's marketing monkeys are on...

Fist Mountain
Plain of Terror
Cavern of Death
Pitch of Hooligans
Patio of Horror
Duvet of Doom

Ultimate Life Form
14-06-2010, 18:39
So 'Skull Pass' is less cheesy than 'Island of Blood'? :eyebrows:

Yes because it's Battle for Skull Pass which a) sounds like the name of a real place and b) like a historical event whereas 'Island of Blood' simply sounds like a random stage for wanton slaughter. But I concur, GW seem to have a certain problem with names:

Lil Boy:
'Mom, can I have this awesome new thing I want?'

Mom:
'Well, let's see. What is it called?'

Lil Boy:
'Island of Blood.'

Mom:
'Eeeeek! :wtf:'

By the way combine the two and you get a great Pirate adventure. Who would have thought Sartosa or Zombie Coast could be in a Starter Set?

Vampiric16
14-06-2010, 18:50
Seeing as Daemons are getting their second wave around that time, its not inconceivable that it could be themed round Khornate daemons. Which would mean plastic bloodcrusher which would be pure win.
However it still seems an odd choice, and I for one would not like to place any bets.

Suicide Messiah
14-06-2010, 19:08
Cant believe the conclusions some people jump too. :rolleyes:

Blood is just another buzz word like war, skull, dark etc. Theres no reason why an island thats been the location of a particularly bloody conflict wouldnt be nicknamed blood isle or somthing similar. Much like Devils reef.

Spiney Norman
14-06-2010, 20:20

Well, its not impossible, while we've had fairly detailed rumours of the high elf component of the boxed set for a while I've not really seen any firm rumours of what the skaven part might contain. It could just be a case of speculation becoming self-generating rumour in the case of skaven, because we've not had any further rumours to back them up as the other army. Kind of unlikely at this stage though.

Cant believe the conclusions some people jump too. :rolleyes:

Blood is just another buzz word like war, skull, dark etc. Theres no reason why an island thats been the location of a particularly bloody conflict wouldnt be nicknamed blood isle or somthing similar. Much like Devils reef.

Lol, talking about conclusions people jump to, as soon as I saw the thread title my mind went - Sea of Blood, OMG they're re-releasing Man O War!!!!!!!

But they're not :'(

Deff Mekz
14-06-2010, 20:41
Allow me to elaborate on the name guys. The Island of Blood, IIRC, is one of the Islands/ chain of islands, that the High Elves inhabit outside of Ulthuan. Cheers, Deff.

Chiron
14-06-2010, 20:46
Could be the island housing Fortress of Dawn way to the very south of the Warhammer World

Master_Forcide
14-06-2010, 21:20
But I concur, GW seem to have a certain problem with names:

Lil Boy:
'Mom, can I have this awesome new thing I want?'

Mom:
'Well, let's see. What is it called?'

Lil Boy:
'Island of Blood.'

Mom:
'Eeeeek! :wtf:'

I don't think GW are marketing Warhammer to children who need their parent's permission to buy stuff.

Avian
14-06-2010, 21:25
I don't think GW are marketing Warhammer to children who need their parent's permission to buy stuff.
Well, older gamers will get laughed at by their wives if they come home with a game called Island of Blood. :p

Ultimate Life Form
14-06-2010, 21:45

I don't know, a while back I was in my local GW that was all of a sudden swarmed by a horde of small children, among them 3 girls about ten years old that after causing mayhem throughout the store for half an hour made off with a space marine box and painting set. Disturbing, I know. And yes, mom paid the bill.

Chiron
14-06-2010, 22:16

I've seen 8 year olds playing Grand Theft Auto, Island of Blood is pretty much nothing compared to some things these days

armos
14-06-2010, 22:33
Well, older gamers will get laughed at by their wives if they come home with a game called Island of Blood. :p

So... so true! justifying this purchase is gonna be difficult especially after the "so basically it's like Aliens the board game and you think this is unvelievable WHY!?" debacle...

oh and NEVER compare purchasing warhammers to buying Jimmy Choos as a defence .... rookie mistake

As for the box set it works that it could indeed be High Elves Vs Skaven ... if the current GW mood is transferring the whole concept of the Warhammer world as a darker more foreboding place (as in the 40K universe where the shift is now on the inevitability ofthe Imperium's demise) ... it follows that a similar trend would follow in Fantasy with the Skaven finally gaining a foothold on Ulthuan, shifting the balance and signifying another nail in the Old Empires and the acendance of the new... just a thought... looking forward to pics

oh and TheSil, I'm pretty sure the inhabitants just call it 'The World', kinda like people from China just call it 'food' :p

NixonAsADaemonPrince
14-06-2010, 22:33
I don't know, a while back I was in my local GW that was all of a sudden swarmed by a horde of small children, among them 3 girls about ten years old that after causing mayhem throughout the store for half an hour made off with a space marine box and painting set. Disturbing, I know. And yes, mom paid the bill.

This post just sent my mind tumbling over the edge into insanity. Cheers ULF.

Thinking about who the second army would be, skaven would tie in with what happened with skull pass, where dwarfs got a book just before the release and the goblins just after. We've just got skaven and isn't there rumored HE or at least a wave release coming for them? But we are talking about GW here, so this is a very insubstantial reason.

Nixon

Swissdictator
14-06-2010, 22:35
The area around my sister in law's home town (she's from a village near the Italian city of Cortona, in Tuscany). Laka Trasamine is easily visible from Cortona.

Now, in the Second Punic War, a big battle took place there. What's fascinating is if you do the research and translate the name of a lot of villages and such from their Etruscan roots do roughly translate to "Pile of Bones", "Mound of Skulls", "Broken Sword", etc, etc. So while it sounds cheesy to us in the 21st Century,

Just looked that up on Wiki (as reliable as that may or may not be) and here is what it says:

An ancient tradition says that because of the blood, which for over three days filled the water, that the name of a small stream feeding the lake was renamed Sanguineto, the "Blood River".[16] In the surroundings of Lake Trasimene, there are further areas which retain a particular meaning, including Ossaia ("Charnel House, Place of Bones"), Sepoltaglia ("Place of Burial"), Caporosso ("Cape red"), Piegaro ("Subdued Place), Preggio (from "Peggio", "Worse"), Pugnano ("Place of battles"), and Pian di Marte ("Field of Mars").

So in all honestly, it isn't that bad when you consider the above.

mrtn
14-06-2010, 23:03
Considering the vampire books the girlfriend read I don't see a problem. :)

oh and TheSil, I'm pretty sure the inhabitants just call it 'The World', kinda like people from China just call it 'food' :p
Good point, now I don't have to write up my own lengthy reply. :)

Desert Rain
14-06-2010, 23:05
Kinda cheesy name, but it has High Elves in it so I'm good with it ;)

mweaver
14-06-2010, 23:29
Hey, we named our world "dirt" so I don't think we're in a great place to fling stones about naming. Besides, they could name the new game "Scary Death Valley Where Armies Whack Each Other To Extreme Death and Such" and I'll still buy it if it has lots of nifty miniatures.

BramGaunt
14-06-2010, 23:58
Hey, we named our world "dirt" so I don't think we're in a great place to fling stones about naming. Besides, they could name the new game "Scary Death Valley Where Armies Whack Each Other To Extreme Death and Such" and I'll still buy it if it has lots of nifty miniatures.

Well, to be fair, we named it while we were unaware that it's a planet, and I find earth a really fitting description, seeing that most of our planet is made of it. Though we would have to name other planet's the same, and some of them "gas". And how would you name our planet if it wa not earth, maybe "Bob"? and before you say something about "Making a vote through the Internet": I assure you if you let that happen, we will all be citizens of planet "Enterprise", "Pr0n" or "Planet where Pr0n and Enterprise originated from" (also known as " "Plawhepro'anen Originfro" which I am sure is a fatal insult in some ugly spacemonsters language and will end up destroying Plawhepro'anen Originfro, former known as Earth.
Though we cannot be sure that earth isn't any insult in any kind of wierd outer space tongue... makes you kinda paranoid, thinking of it. You encounter an alien, what to say? "Hello!" "Swoop-da-hoop" and your down, along with all mankind. Better to kill them right away and take their technology...

Anyway, I like the name of the new Starter Set, and I like the fabulous plastics in there a lot more. I totally agree with you that the name is by far the smallest problem.

linuvian
15-06-2010, 00:20

I don't know about you, but I get laughed at just bringing home tiny plastic toy rat with flamethrowers. The name is pretty irrelevant after that....

Darsc Zacal
15-06-2010, 00:55
Whatever the title of the starter, I would hope the starter booklet included would be a little more useful than the one included in Skull Pass. Not talking about the mini rulebook bit rather that thin starter one.

A structured campaign for control of the isle would be pretty cool.

Dai-Mongar
15-06-2010, 01:08
I'm sure if people heard the name "Battle for Skull Pass" they'd jump to conclusions about Khornate Chaos Warriors and such battling in the mountains.
It's most likely just an evocative name.

sheppe
15-06-2010, 02:03
(purely speculative) lizardmen vs VC/Tomb Kings?

Ramius4
15-06-2010, 02:09
(purely speculative) lizardmen vs VC/Tomb Kings?

Why is this question coming up again? :confused: For months now all the reliable rumor mongers have been stating that the starter set is 100% certain to be High Elves and Skaven. With miniature releases they tend to be a lot more accurate, as things take a lot longer to change. There shouldn't be any last minute switch or I think we'd have heard about it.

goodz
15-06-2010, 02:56
Its a 4 army starter set, involving the new alliance rules! Skaven and Beasts vs High elves and Bretonians.

Darnok
15-06-2010, 03:23
I just had to remove a good third of this thread for being spam and/or off topic. Everybody: please stay on topic.

Darnok [=I=]
The WarSeer Inquisition

Spiney Norman
15-06-2010, 08:59
I'm sure if people heard the name "Battle for Skull Pass" they'd jump to conclusions about Khornate Chaos Warriors and such battling in the mountains.
It's most likely just an evocative name.

Not really, I thought "Skull Pass" already existed on the WHW map before they released the boxed set. In all honesty if someone who knew the WH background was told about a boxed game that was set in a mountain pass in the World's edge mountains they would certainly be expecting greenskins to be in it, and dwarfs wouldn't be a bad guess for the other army either.

Its kind of a shame that Island of Blood doesn't sound like a "real" place name, but rather a geeky-11-year-old-Dungeon-master-running-his-first-ever-D&D-game kinda name.

scarletsquig
15-06-2010, 09:29
Sounds like the title of one of those old fighting fantasy books

And that's exactly why I like it. :D

And, as Avian confirmed on another board, this will be about the Skaven raid on a High Elf outpost, as detailed in the background of the Skaven army book.

Scelerat
15-06-2010, 11:22
Yes, I am aware that such a battle exists in the Skaven background, and it would make sense for it to have been shoehorned there so they could say "see? it's not such a strange pairing! They have had conflicts in the past!". But why "Island of Blood", then? Wasn't the colony's name "Cadaith" or something like that?
Also, why the references to Chaos's warping pow-urz of L33T?

Mr. Ultra
15-06-2010, 11:29
Island of Blood...

Blood for the Blood God...

Yes! At last a starter set entirely devoted to Khorne!! :D:evilgrin:

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 11:29
But why "Island of Blood", then? Wasn't the colony's name "Cadaith" or something like that?

Your post nicely illustrates Avian's explanation (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4733753#post4733753).

Scelerat
15-06-2010, 12:12
Hrm, my bad. Must have mistaken the word with some Malus-foolery. Yet the point remains: "the Gates of Calith" is not exactly difficult to pronounce, is it?
Mind you, I'm not saying Skaven are not in the starter set: I know nothing about the Starter Set and I trust in Avian and others' rumours, since they tend to be correct. I'm just wondering about the name, since it is as non-"skaven vs. elves" as they come.

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 12:24
Yet the point remains: "the Gates of Calith" is not exactly difficult to pronounce, is it?
It hardly rolls off the tongue nor sticks in the mind though, which was the point others (such as Av) were driving at. The Island of Blood is short, pulpy and to the point. I agree it sounds kinda lame and not as grand as it could be, as it lacks a "Battle of" or "Assault on", but whatareyagunnado?

I'm just wondering about the name, since it is as non-"skaven vs. elves" as they come.
I think you're a little bit off the mark there. It's got an island in it which is appropriate for the High Elves who come from a vast island nation and command countless archipelagos, and blood's... well... blood. :D

I agree it could've been better, more grand, more specific, but meh, it's nothing worth complaining about. Especially once we all learn about the actual meaning/history of The Island of Blood and the whole thing just comes part of our everyday gaming parlance as IoB.

DrDogmeat
15-06-2010, 12:35
If GW were to include the most popular armies then it would be daemons and dark elves, which sounds ridiculous but island of blood almost fits! LOL.

shelfunit.
15-06-2010, 12:36
They seem to have just put up a demo of "how to use the GW gaming aids" on youtube.

EDIT: My link-fu is weak, sorry :-(

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 12:40
They seem to have just put up a demo of "how to use the GW gaming aids" on youtube.

EDIT: My link-fu is weak, sorry :-(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lGQfeEJT8

I suspect, with the fiddly templates, that there might be a certain amount of "Play with them, break them, buy some more" guide. :D

EDIT - The guy's obviously talking through how to use them, but we get dramatic music instead? What the? :wtf: Mind you, I prefer nice music to listening to some sweaty neckbeard waffling on about wardollies. :D

shelfunit.
15-06-2010, 12:45
I can't decide whether I like this or not. It looks nice, but could get tiresome very quickly...

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 12:50
Well to be honest none of it is required to play the game, it's just fancy bling for the cool kids. :D

shelfunit.
15-06-2010, 12:56
Well to be honest none of it is required to play the game, it's just fancy bling for the cool kids. :D

Indeed - during which play your "break and re-buy" theory should hold well for great GW profits:)

CrystalSphere
15-06-2010, 12:58
I might be interested if they sold special versions based on each army, so at least the templates you use are in character with the army you are playing. Given how they are, i will pass on this.

ltsobel
15-06-2010, 13:12
just got an email from Wayland games and they say that starter will be Skaven vs High Elves. As for Island of Blood its not confirmed that King Kong or some sort of land that time forgot creature is in there too.

DarkMark
15-06-2010, 13:20
oh and NEVER compare purchasing warhammers to buying Jimmy Choos as a defence .... rookie mistake

So very true:D

I just hope the blood name doesn't end up being blood-this and blood-that all the way through, it wears thin very quickly.:rolleyes:

strewart
15-06-2010, 13:34
just got an email from Wayland games and they say that starter will be Skaven vs High Elves. As for Island of Blood its not confirmed that King Kong or some sort of land that time forgot creature is in there too.

Chances are they got their info from here. ;)

I don't think the name of the box really suggests anything different from what the rumours have been consistently saying for months... As to the name being cheesy, they could call it the island of sparkly fairies for all I care and I'd still buy it. I am interested in the models, the templates and the mini rulebook, not the bits aimed at the new kids.

loveless
15-06-2010, 13:43
You know, it took me a good while to remember what the current Fantasy and 40K starter kits are called, since I refer to them as "Starter Kits" :p (Battle for Skull Pass and Assault on Black Reach, however). This will likely become "new Starter Kit" for a few months.

That said...it feels odd to include a reference to "Blood" in the title while having 2 races that seem to have little to do with blood. The High Elves are always shown as pristine and glistening, even in combat. The Skaven seem to either infect things or devour them. I suppose I don't see an especially bloody battle when I hear about those two fighting.

It is, however, just a name. Thanks for the info.

Tymell
15-06-2010, 14:01
There's one big reason why I have to supress a snigger at the title:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhmXwEmTCw

:p

a18no
15-06-2010, 14:09
In the presentation video, have you seen where the guy mesure distance for his charge?? No more full wheel?? The shortest distance in the two unit is the charge distance??

And near 1:45, the resolution calcution, 6 points to count:

Dead, banners, ???, rank, who charge, ???

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 14:11
There's one big reason why I have to supress a snigger at the title:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhmXwEmTCw

"This video contains content from Turner EU, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

In the presentation video, have you seen where the guy mesure distance for his charge?? No more full wheel?? The shortest distance in the two unit is the charge distance??
Yop.

Berstuk Overlord
15-06-2010, 14:16
i think it could be Dark elves and Lizardmen, i mean fluffwise it would work, and Island of Blood could be refering to the new world/somewhere in Lustria.

Elrond
15-06-2010, 14:25
Inside the shores of Ulthuan there is the Island of the Dead, perhaps there is also the Island of Blood.

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 14:31
Inside the shores of Ulthuan there is the Island of the Dead, perhaps there is also the Island of Blood.

People have said (mainly over on Dakka) that The Island of Blood already exists in the fluff and lies in one of the archipelagos outside of Ulthuan, though I have found no reference to it in the HE Army Book nor via extensive google searches. Anybody have a reference? Black Library publication perhaps? Or WAR?

Tymell
15-06-2010, 14:33
"This video contains content from Turner EU, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Grrr, never understood why it's allowable in some places but not others, but there you go.

It's a clip from Metalocalypse in which the band makes a movie called Blood Ocean that's ridiculously tacky, over-the-top and badly produced.

It just pops instantly to mind whenever I read "Island of Blood" :p

[/off-topic]

Berstuk Overlord
15-06-2010, 15:04
I just hope the blood name doesn't end up being blood-this and blood-that all the way through, it wears thin very quickly.:rolleyes:

Well, blood is thicker than water.......

Gekiganger
15-06-2010, 17:03
i think it could be Dark elves and Lizardmen, i mean fluffwise it would work, and Island of Blood could be refering to the new world/somewhere in Lustria.

High Elves are confirmed and, to the best of my knowledge, skaven are all but. The only doubting factor is that no models have been seen for skaven bar a warpstone pile, but considering no 'other army' models have been seen then that's not really leaning towards them not being in the set.

Is the name of the thing really getting people predicting armies from scratch, even high elves?! :confused:

Mirbeau
15-06-2010, 17:13
Island of Blood has confused me, it's likely to retail at £60 pounds in the UK, whilst I can get the full rulebook from Maelstrom (with a discount code) for £38.25. I guess this is a question for anyone who has seen the contents - is it worth hanging on for?

xowainx
15-06-2010, 17:35
Island of Blood has confused me, it's likely to retail at £60 pounds in the UK, whilst I can get the full rulebook from Maelstrom (with a discount code) for £38.25. I guess this is a question for anyone who has seen the contents - is it worth hanging on for?

With the same voucher (well a future one, but Maelstrom do them pretty frequently so I can't imagine you'd have to wait long to be able to order it at 15% off), you'd be able to get it for £51, so it's up to you as to whether the extra £12.75 is worth it for a smaller book but a fairly large amount of plastic High Elves and Skaven.

Daniel36
15-06-2010, 17:53
Are we really debating the name of the Starter set?

I think Island of Blood is an awesome name! How can you not like the cheesiness of this name? You play a "Dark Age/Fantasy" miniature wargame with mushroom eating psycho Goblins and mechanical horses... Among others.

And as far as the whole debate about whether or not the place "already exists"... Places are "renamed" all the time after a particularily bloody battle, so this island could just as well be bloody Albion (Oh, I just had to edit my post), and now with this starter set, the timeline is shifted a little bit to include the story of how the "pristine" High Elves splattered blood all over the place by being cut to pieces by Skaven who also splattered blood all over the place by being First Struck (uhhh...), and so now people refer to it by the name "Isle / Island of Blood" because there was a lot of blood, and it is an island. It makes sense.

And this planet we call earth also has plenty of silly names. Namibia has the Skeleton Coast, and trust me, there's not a lot of Undead running around there. And Khorne does not have exclusive rights on the usage of the word "blood" either.
/end rant :P

Xarius
15-06-2010, 17:57
The box should be excellent and the mini's quality but the price will again decide how this is received by vets.

Deff Mekz
15-06-2010, 20:55
I going to say this again since either everyone ignored me, or just didn't see my post.

The Island of Blood is part of the island chains that surround Ulthuan, hence the name. Therefore it also quite plausable that the Skaven could invade/ have tunnels set up on the island. Cheers, Deff.

perplexiti
15-06-2010, 20:55
People have said (mainly over on Dakka) that The Island of Blood already exists in the fluff and lies in one of the archipelagos outside of Ulthuan, though I have found no reference to it in the HE Army Book nor via extensive google searches. Anybody have a reference? Black Library publication perhaps? Or WAR?

Isn't it the island with the sword of Khaine on it? I can't think where I read it but that's what I'm thinking. IIRC it's to the north of Ulthuan

Scelerat
15-06-2010, 21:08
I going to say this again since either everyone ignored me, or just didn't see my post.

The Island of Blood is part of the island chains that surround Ulthuan, hence the name. Therefore it also quite plausable that the Skaven could invade/ have tunnels set up on the island. Cheers, Deff.

But Calith was far away from Ulthuan...

Perplexiti, that is the Blighted Island, I believe.

Deff Mekz
15-06-2010, 21:10
What I meant was that the Island of Blood was a actual ISLAND, not Calith.

Scelerat
15-06-2010, 21:14
Wasn't that kind of clear? Not to sound harsh or anything, but with the word "Island" in the name...

Chaosminon
15-06-2010, 21:20
im more surprised that with all the empire themed gimmicks including the civilian models that empire isnt in the new box set, oh well, wishful thinking i guess :(

Schelle
15-06-2010, 21:21
I really don't care much which armies are going to be included in the starter's set; I already had a chat with my playing buddy and we decided that we would each buy a starter's set. Apparently all signs point out that High Elves will be one of the armies which is exactly what my buddy plays; I decided to keep the other army included in the set. So we are going to have a swap.

I currently have a Lizardmen, WOC, VC, OK and Daemon army for Fantasy; if the starter's set inlcudes any of these armies I will be more than happy to add them to my existing army. If the starter's set inlcudes another army along with high Elves then I will use it to start another fantasy army. Skaven would be great actually as it would fit in nicely with my WOC Nurgle army; brilliant to play a 10.000 pts legendary battle.

BramGaunt
15-06-2010, 21:22

Fancy stuff I can't wait to get my hands on...

Through my WAR beta time I came across the name once or twice, I think.

Deff Mekz
15-06-2010, 21:23
Wasn't that kind of clear? Not to sound harsh or anything, but with the word "Island" in the name...

Sigged. You got me there! What I meant was a island other than Calith.

BramGaunt
15-06-2010, 21:30
The High Elven realm is kinda made of islands... Island of this, Island of that, both main cultural landmarks are on Islands, the Island continent, all of their fortresses and most trading posts are located on islands... I wouldn't wonder if they dug out canyouns around each and every settlement to make it more Island-ish. Stupid elves.

Still my favorite army...

Hunter Rose
15-06-2010, 21:32
Why is this question coming up again? :confused: For months now all the reliable rumor mongers have been stating that the starter set is 100% certain to be High Elves and Skaven. With miniature releases they tend to be a lot more accurate, as things take a lot longer to change. There shouldn't be any last minute switch or I think we'd have heard about it.

Obvious troll, not so obvious?

Avian
15-06-2010, 22:11
The High Elven realm is kinda made of islands... Island of this, Island of that, both main cultural landmarks are on Islands, the Island continent, all of their fortresses and most trading posts are located on islands...
So you're saying this could instead have been Island of Saliva?
(assuming that the other islands are also named after bodily fluids*)

* further jokes on this matter are unnecessary, we all know what you were going to suggest next

BramGaunt
15-06-2010, 22:26
So you're saying this could instead have been Island of Saliva?
(assuming that the other islands are also named after bodily fluids*)

* further jokes on this matter are unnecessary, we all know what you were going to suggest next

It could have, but neither are skaven so stupid to attack a place like that ("Saliva-Saliva, many big things must be living there, yes-yes, better strike at island of blood, we like-like blood, mostly yours on our daggertips, great leader, yes-yes...") nore would the arrogant High Elves get anywhere near this place. ("Saliva? Thou got to be pulling my pointy ears, good King. We shall proceed to the Island of Blood and defend that, where our noble sacrifice of blood will be honored in the name of Khaine.)

I could not pinpoint the location of this island, though I doubt that it is anywhere near Ulthuan, as there is nothing the skaven want anywhere near it. I would assume that it's a Island near a Elven Colony, or the Island is home to one of the waystones protecting the maelstrome.

Anyway, can we decide that the name doesn't bother any of us, and that we will get our hands at some tasty Poison Wind mor... ahm, plastic miniatures very soon? =)

Ender Shadowkin
15-06-2010, 22:34
I could not pinpoint the location of this island, though I doubt that it is anywhere near Ulthuan, as there is nothing the skaven want anywhere near it. I would assume that it's a Island near a Elven Colony, or the Island is home to one of the waystones protecting the maelstrome.

Why must the HE just always defend defend defend. I bet the Isle of blood is where HE children go to get their Archery Merit badges by shooting those quick little rat things. At some point the Skaven get annoyed and start stinking up the joint (see below).

Anyway, can we decide that the name doesn't bother any of us, and that we will get our hands at some tasty Poison Wind mor... ahm, plastic miniatures very soon? =)

Great, would love to see more of them floating around :D. Fingers crossed there are no new censor bearers... Thanks!

BramGaunt
15-06-2010, 22:37
Great, would love to see more of them floating around :D. Fingers crossed there are no new censor bearers... Thanks!

You're welcome, though I just told you about a picture of the tip of the iceberg on a far distaant world. Wait a little more, it's worth it.

Scelerat
15-06-2010, 23:31
Sigged. You got me there! What I meant was a island other than Calith.

haha, fair enough ;) Thanks on the siggery!

Mictlan
16-06-2010, 00:21
Hi, a fellow skaven enthusiast has posted the following rumours at the under empire, does anybody in the know wants to comment anything on them?

Oh, and one more thing, a staff guy I know well told me that he saw sculpts for a HPA, plagueclaw catapult and new Warp-lightning cannon, so there's something to look forward too

mrtn
16-06-2010, 00:53

I don't remember this from anywhere, do you have a source? :) Or will it be just like with Skull Pass, i e "a very important historical pass that no one's ever heard of before 7th edition"? :p :angel:

Gekiganger
16-06-2010, 03:03
I could not pinpoint the location of this island, though I doubt that it is anywhere near Ulthuan, as there is nothing the skaven want anywhere near it.

iirc the skaven army book mentions the skaven trying to set up tunnels into Ulthuan but being thwarted by elven trickery, hence the attack on calith (sp?) - it was a compromise by Morskitar to keep face.

Alas, I don't have the book at hand so correct me if I'm wrong, but fairly sure the skaven have interests in the entirety of the world considering they believe it their right to inherit, never mind all the elven secrets to warp into weapons of some sort.

Avian
16-06-2010, 10:35
Hi, a fellow skaven enthusiast has posted the following rumours at the under empire, does anybody in the know wants to comment anything on them?
Alessio Cavatore mentioned on Podhammer that a mock-up for the Abomination had been made and presumably at some point there will be a plastic kit that makes either of the two Rare war machines.
That doesn't mean the poster wasn't just making things up, however. ;)

Ultimate Life Form
16-06-2010, 10:37
So, finally some rumors...

*Patiently waiting for pics of the Nurgle Beast thingy showing up again*

Scelerat
16-06-2010, 12:00
*Patiently waiting for pics of the Nurgle Beast thingy showing up again*

I think you're not going to need patience for that. Give it a maximum of 12 more posts, and boom, toad-thing will be up again with some "hai guyz htis is teh new Abamination , I noe it bc a friend of mine asked a redshirt, lol, I r00l" message.

Or maybe not... Maybe Warseer will show some learning capabilities! I'm astounded even at the thought of it.

TrojanWolf
16-06-2010, 12:39
iirc the skaven army book mentions the skaven trying to set up tunnels into Ulthuan but being thwarted by elven trickery, hence the attack on calith (sp?) - it was a compromise by Morskitar to keep face.

Almost. The Skaven do have tunnels all over the world, the only exception being Ulthuan itself. Once Packlord Verminkin started mouthing off about the rest of the Council (Nightlord Sneek in particular) avoiding the High Elves, Sneek mentioned that Clan Eshin was having difficulties in infiltrating Ulthuan because of magical defences, creatures that could sense the Eshin operatives, etc. Hence why the Skaven attacked Calith in the first place, so they could test the strength of the HE without disturbing the entire hornet's nest.

On topic, would it really matter how people pronounce Calith? Tyr-anid, Ty-ranid, po-tay-to, pot-ah-to. The Gates of Calith sounds so much better than Island of Blood, pure and simple.

Dai-Mongar
16-06-2010, 12:48
Alessio Cavatore mentioned on Podhammer that a mock-up for the Abomination had been made and presumably at some point there will be a plastic kit that makes either of the two Rare war machines.

Not exactly, he said they made a mock up of a giant tunneling mole rat monster. Which happened to look like a ****.
There was a rumour about the abomination being slated for release soon, though.

Mictlan
16-06-2010, 16:14

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Well that sure stirs a little hope inside my cold heart :). Its hard to imagin how would some one design a kit that could cover both a warplighting cannon and a catapult since they are so different structuraly wise, but who knows, gw sculptors alwaiys know how to amaze!

Ender Shadowkin
16-06-2010, 16:19
Not exactly, he said they made a mock up of a giant tunneling mole rat monster. Which happened to look like a ****.
There was a rumour about the abomination being slated for release soon, though.

Actually I think he said both. AFIK He talked about his "giant Rat ****" and an abomination mockup model serperatly (which he said looked good), but I'd have to re-listen to it to be sure.

Scryer in the Darkness
16-06-2010, 17:23
Through my WAR beta time I came across the name once or twice, I think.
Yes that's the only reference I've found, but it seemed to be limited to a login question relating to the German server names, i.e. it may not have been in the game world itself.

Gekiganger
16-06-2010, 18:46
Almost. The Skaven do have tunnels all over the world, the only exception being Ulthuan itself. Once Packlord Verminkin started mouthing off about the rest of the Council (Nightlord Sneek in particular) avoiding the High Elves, Sneek mentioned that Clan Eshin was having difficulties in infiltrating Ulthuan because of magical defences, creatures that could sense the Eshin operatives, etc. Hence why the Skaven attacked Calith in the first place, so they could test the strength of the HE without disturbing the entire hornet's nest.

On topic, would it really matter how people pronounce Calith? Tyr-anid, Ty-ranid, po-tay-to, pot-ah-to. The Gates of Calith sounds so much better than Island of Blood, pure and simple.

That's the one, I blame it being 4am - my memory isn't the best tool at those hours.

As for the name, there's nothing saying that it is calith, I thought the name suggested that the isle of blood was a separate place.

Dai-Mongar
16-06-2010, 18:47
Actually I think he said both. AFIK He talked about his "giant Rat ****" and an abomination mockup model serperatly (which he said looked good), but I'd have to re-listen to it to be sure.

I'm fully prepared to stand corrected on this, but I think that it was just the presenters making comments about the HPA while Alessio was still talking about the giant mole rat. It's a big interview to remember the whole thing, though.

anselminus
17-06-2010, 07:36
Almost. The Skaven do have tunnels all over the world, the only exception being Ulthuan itself.

yes in hystoric of warhammer, but actually the story is really Abandoned, look with story of daemon, this codex is really not in Adequacy with what was said in the past.
I wait for the starter to pronounce but at present, I am really disappointed by this acceleration of GW to make of the figure of business.
To recruit new players it's good, but to have a bottom and a base it is better, since storm of the chaos the history does not move any more, or then via the video games and some rare novels of the black Library.
Thus I observe but I am largely afraid of what they are going to take out we.
if they are skaven and elfe in starter box, A good commercial sentence and tunnels skaven will pass perfectly in the history of sales, but not in game.
it's good for player who play this armies but for the story.....

Sinaris
17-06-2010, 07:58
I dont get what you are saying? I think im understanding you want the story to progress, but seriously, what happens if it did?

Ground has to be given and then what, 'yeah, the High Elves all died... you cant play anymore'.

anselminus
17-06-2010, 08:25
Seen as it it is on, I did not speak about a masterful jump in about intended ^^.
The elfs and the dwarfs are in declines but there is no history real on it after storm of the chaos, it is a little bit it's a pity I find.
Later I stay on a hypothesis I am as many I wait for rules to see, I have already had echos and my time quite a lot of things please me.
There where I am afraid it is her limp with base, but being to give that they are only rumours, it is difficult to carry a point of seen impartial;).
Simply I see highly-rated one commercial more and more present at present, it was always, but heads graves of everywhere, and even if it is a company and even if she has to make a profit to remain, I find that it feels the effects in the hobby, what is it's a pity is there. Later it is not the subject thus let us speak about war, and blood;).

Sinaris
17-06-2010, 08:53
Im going to assume English is not your first language, and if this is so, then I commend you for trying to bring forth your points.

I shall try to translate what you are saying:

Seen as it is, i am not talking about a massive jump forward of the story ^^.
The elfs and the dwarfs are in declines but there is no history real on it after storm of the chaos, and i find this to be a pity.
I was also saying that like many others im waiting to see the rules, I have heard many things and much of it pleases me.

From this point I got no idea....

There where I am afraid it is her limp with base, but being to give that they are only rumours, it is difficult to carry a point of seen impartial.
Simply I see highly-rated one commercial more and more present at present, it was always, but heads graves of everywhere, and even if it is a company and even if she has to make a profit to remain, I find that it feels the effects in the hobby, what is it's a pity is there. Later it is not the subject thus let us speak about war, and blood.

Once again i asume, is it that you are disapointed in GW doing things just to make a dollar, and not to further the hobby.

Yourand
17-06-2010, 09:00
who let Skwisgaar on Warseer?!

anselminus
17-06-2010, 09:48
1- Starter box: I wait to see the armies with impatience.
2- The rules book: very well in first view of what I caught a glimpse even if it seems less tactical.
3- I hope that GW is going to base himself on the history, and to advance it.
4- I also hope that GW really becomes again a hobby more than a multinational one.

Conclusion : wait and see :D
And sorry for my ORK language

Scryer in the Darkness
17-06-2010, 09:52
And sorry for my ORK language
Ce n'est pas un problème. :)

Elrond
17-06-2010, 11:12
Ce n'est pas un problème. :)

Now, in Italian, please... ;)

I guess the newsletter of the incoming starter set is coming very soon, concerning the september date of release and what already happened for the august release newsletter of deamons.

Scryer in the Darkness
17-06-2010, 11:27
Now, in Italian, please... ;)

I guess the newsletter of the incoming starter set is coming very soon, concerning the september date of release and what already happened for the august release newsletter of deamons.

Ooh, I'm tempted to say something very rude in Italian. But shan't. :p

Yes, I would wager that's why the Incoming article got put up early "accidentally". Sticky fingers fumbling with files. No doubt GW are going to wait a little while to make sure they soak up a good number of preorders for the hardback book before officially announcing the starter box.

Sinaris
17-06-2010, 11:28
Non è un problemo, paesano.

Hrolfr Varini
17-06-2010, 11:47
Dogs of War versus Lizardmen

GodlessM
17-06-2010, 12:09
Wow this gets annoying doesn't it. Anyone would search-fu will find the contents of the Skaven side posted in the Mark II thread I believe.

anselminus
17-06-2010, 12:10
Dogs of War versus Lizardmen

i don't think, dogs of war is not a populare army.
in island they are:
albion: but they are not Inhabited by faction.
ulthuan: dark elves VS hight elves? rumors Skavens VS Hight elves but it's not a really know war.
lustry: lizard men VS Skaven?

there aren't armies Who are the most played in comparison as empire, orcs, or chaos, but it's a possibly put in first rank less known armies.

Elrond
17-06-2010, 12:11
Non è un problemo, paesano.

The italian for problem is problema with the A. ;) Hope to see as soon as possible the newsletter about the kit di plastica degli Alti Elfi.

Scelerat
17-06-2010, 12:21
who let Skwisgaar on Warseer?!

Post of the year, though kinda rude :P

I'm going to put my "search-fu" to a test and see if I can find the Skaven side of what's inside the box, but being this the topic for the Island of Blood discussion, I think it would be nice to have what we know about its contents here, of both sides.

Arbedark
17-06-2010, 12:25
Wow this gets annoying doesn't it. Anyone would search-fu will find the contents of the Skaven side posted in the Mark II thread I believe.

Well my search fu must be completely turned around, since the only thing I can find is a rumoured collection of High Elf stuff that will be coming (as well as a Warpstone marker and some form of plastic weapons team).

But since this is the thread for the actual box set, wouldn't it be sensible to post that sort of stuff here, rather than getting all uppity when someone doesn't which of the many 8th Edition threads to look in for box contents?

GodlessM
17-06-2010, 12:37
It wasn't my post so I can't really comment on it, I only remember reading it from one of the other rumour-mongers. Mentions of Warpstone Pile, 2 weapons teams, Clan Rats, plastic hero(es), and Slaves are what I remember.

mrtn
17-06-2010, 12:49
It wasn't my post so I can't really comment on it, I only remember reading it from one of the other rumour-mongers. Mentions of Warpstone Pile, 2 weapons teams, Clan Rats, plastic hero(es), and Slaves are what I remember.

Well, I only remember guesses, and Harry (IIRC) saying "closest yet". The only real rumour we've had is the weapon teams, and that was ages ago and could very well be wish-listing and/or wrong, since they turned up at the same time as the infamous dark riders.

I'd really like some good solid rumours on what's in the box.

Spike Fiend
17-06-2010, 14:00
And, as Avian confirmed on another board, this will be about the Skaven raid on a High Elf outpost, as detailed in the background of the Skaven army book.

Ah, the Calith battle? Great news! I can't wait to get my hands on a new Starter Set containing thousands of Clanrats, more than one Hell Pit Abomination, a Grey Seer on a Screaming Bell and much much more! =D

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 14:32
Well, I only remember guesses, and Harry (IIRC) saying "closest yet". The only real rumour we've had is the weapon teams, and that was ages ago and could very well be wish-listing and/or wrong, since they turned up at the same time as the infamous dark riders.

Anyone else notice that Harry and hastings seem to have been swallowed by earth? :shifty:

Well, but I can't really blame them, browsing WarSeer at the time of release of a new edition must be living hell for well-known rumor mongers. :p

Sinaris
17-06-2010, 14:59
The italian for problem is problema with the A. ;) Hope to see as soon as possible the newsletter about the kit di plastica degli Alti Elfi.
Mi dispiace :)
Australian born, Italian parents. :P

Asp
17-06-2010, 15:07
Aug/Sept is a far cry from now and we've only had Beastmen all year :(

Scelerat
17-06-2010, 17:34

Someone said also Poison Wind Globadiers, IIRC. Don't quote me on that, tho.

VenomBlood
17-06-2010, 18:35
And don't forget rat ogre .
One can dream....
Anyway ogre/troll sized beast is expected to be in the box .

BramGaunt
17-06-2010, 18:40
Someone said also Poison Wind Globadiers, IIRC. Don't quote me on that, tho.

You may feel free to quote me on that. I said it. And it looks lovely (If you can say that to a doom device). als Skaven players should train this sound: Fhoomp!

Harry
17-06-2010, 18:42
Coughmortarscough

*Patiently waiting for pics of the Nurgle Beast thingy showing up again*Nooooooooooo. :cries:

Anyone else notice that Harry and hastings seem to have been swallowed by earth? :shifty:
How can I help? :D

loveless
17-06-2010, 18:46
Coughmortarscough

*consults artwork for mortars*

Yep, those are the ones I wanted to see first...is there a Skryre focus in the starter box? Really, I don't recall seeing a definitive list of the Skaven contents.

Hot damn, though...mortars? How many of these kits am I going to end up buying...

Harry
17-06-2010, 18:48
... is there a Skryre focus in the starter box?No just a nice mix of stuff.

Hot damn, though...mortars? How many of these kits am I going to end up buying...Too many. :D

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 18:51
So I take it HE and Skaven is definitely confirmed now?

Is the mortar thing the only new Skaven bit in the box or is there more to see?

75hastings69
17-06-2010, 18:52

Well, but I can't really blame them, browsing WarSeer at the time of release of a new edition must be living hell for well-known rumor mongers. :p

should I say "coughwarpfirethrowerteamaswellcough" to help out?

perplexiti
17-06-2010, 18:54
But Calith was far away from Ulthuan...

Perplexiti, that is the Blighted Island, I believe.

Yup, I just had a look at a map. Heh if I had a proper memory I'd be dangerous...:P

stahly
Can't wait to hear the full content skaven-wise! :D
Do you know Harry if there are more Skaven models to be released this year together with the new Starter set?

Harry

LOL We really should get something for those tickley throats. :D

Thought you were on a boat somewhere?

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 18:55

You should go seed the doctor, sounds like your lungs are in a really bad condition :angel:

Deff Mekz
17-06-2010, 18:57
Harry and Hastings you have a great sense of humour when it comes to these things. All though you also have a habit of making people grip on to their seats in anticipation! :D

Edit: I agreee you should really get something for that cough, you might be coming dwn with something.

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 18:58
Oh yeah, September will see all my cash flowing over to GW... :cries:

75hastings69
17-06-2010, 18:58
One last clearing of my throat before I go to bed...

"coughratogrescough"!

Ironbreaker
17-06-2010, 19:00
I pre-ordered the main rule book assuming I wouldn't be interested in the box-set.
Now, I'm not so sure. :p

shadow hunter
I do hope someone coughs like *coughplagueclawcatapultcough* although very nasty for that person, it'd be sweet for me.

Deff Mekz
Thanks Hastings and make sure you take some cough syrup ;)

Harry
17-06-2010, 19:02
Can't wait to hear the full content skaven-wise! :D
Do you know Harry if there are more Skaven models to be released this year together with the new Starter set?

Not with the starter set but more to come.

Or should that be:

coughnotwiththestartersetbutmoretocomecough. :D

Deff Mekz
17-06-2010, 19:04
Ooooh Harry you big meanie;) I bet a "coughhellpitabominationcough" is involved.

VenomBlood
17-06-2010, 20:03

"coughratogrescough"!

Wow! Holy crap, is it more than one coughratogrecough in the box ?

Rikkjourd
17-06-2010, 20:30
Coughthankyoucough! This sounds mega awesome! It already seems like I will get two boxes minimum and split with my HE buddy. Care to shed some light on what the HE are getting? And maybe the price? At least a rough approximation of the price would be nice =)

twistinthunder
17-06-2010, 20:44
*considers not-posting on topic incase he comes down with a case of the forumcoughing pandemic*

I picked a good time to A) start fantasy and B) play skaven didn't I? i can't wait till september i might even go for 2 boxes (maybe even with swapsies).

anyway thats my two cents, time to go don white robes and join my new plague monk bretheren!

*cough*!

mrtn
17-06-2010, 21:06
should I say "coughwarpfirethrowerteamaswellcough" to help out?Oh yes, please do. ;)

Thanks to you and Harry, hope to get some more information on what's involved soon.

The great logical engine aka "my 'ead" makes me think that if the box includes two weapon teams then that should mean that there's at least two units of clanrats in the box. Assuming the mortar doesn't come with plague wind globadiers, of course, but I think the clanrats are more likely. So my guess from last month about 40 clanrats with spears are still alive. :)

BRING IT ON!

Asp
17-06-2010, 21:17
Oh dear, hope you all recover soon.

I heard though, that the recovery process involves the symptoms easing from caughs into sneezes.

So poeple who have seen the contents:

Are the sculpts any good?

Tokamak
17-06-2010, 22:17
Kreutzfeld Jacob, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, I guess Rat Pocks was only a matter of time.

Mictlan
17-06-2010, 22:36
Coughmortarscough

One last clearing of my throat before I go to bed..."coughratogrescough"!

coughnotwiththestartersetbutmoretocomecough. :D

This is a fantastic day for all ratcrazies like me!Thank you all so much! now i dont know how will i manage to wait so much time for all those marvelous minis to come out

Im really curious on how those ratogre sculpts might turn out, ive never been a fan of the current ones, the faces specially irritate me

Im willing to bet the mortar will be almost identical to the art in the new book, since it seems clear to me the artist had the actual mini as reference

Finally on the subject of the warpfiretrower, anything will be an improvement over the current metal ones

Scelerat
17-06-2010, 22:41
Oh, the Trusted Ones came back! Thank you for all the ratrumours! I'm happy-happy, yes-yes! *rubs paws*

defunct
18-06-2010, 02:04
Holy shhh, the floodgates have opened :D

All this coughing "sounds" surprisingly cool.

Har666
18-06-2010, 02:32
Thanks Harry and Hastings, don't want to sound cruel, but I hope these coughing fits continue :)

Gonna by 2 or 3 of these boxes, and do a swap with a skaveny mate of mine (one book each and one for our Club). Just wish you could buy the small book separately though :(

Dai-Mongar
18-06-2010, 03:32
Jeez, all this stuff crammed into the box! So far it sounds like we're getting a Griffon, some Rat Ogres, multiple weapon teams... how much room are they going to have for troops?

Harry
18-06-2010, 04:22
Oh dear, hope you all recover soon.

I heard though, that the recovery process involves the symptoms easing from caughs into sneezes.

Wow! Holy crap, is it more than one coughratogrecough in the box ?A-A-A Twoooo! :D

Care to shed some light on what the HE are getting? And maybe the price? At least a rough approximation of the price would be nice =)Someone pretty much nailed it by guessing a while back an then some guy spilled the beans over at Ulthuan.net.

Spear Elves/Sea Guard, Swordmasters, Ellyrion Reavers, Characters.

I picked a good time to A) start fantasy and B) play skaven didn't I?
Yes! You did. :D

Gonna by 2 or 3 of these boxes, and do a swap with a skaveny mate of mine (one book each and one for our Club). Just wish you could buy the small book separately though :(You are kidding? Looking at what is in the box three sets would seem to be optimum ... just for the minis .... you can have one of my extra rulebooks. E-bay will be a wash with small rule books.

(... and also minis for both armies as some folks will buy the set just for half the figures and then sell the other half).

strewart
18-06-2010, 04:53
Well, it sounds awesome all up, really looking forward to seeing the models. I actually am not sure I will do a split two boxes even though I only play HE and a friend has Skaven, if the models are nice I will assemble them and keep them anyway.
I guess the big question now is the price as to how good it actually is.

loveless
18-06-2010, 05:09
I'm curious as to how "simplified" the Skaven will be - I mean, the Clanrats can't be broken down too much more, unless they're all 1-piece, which seems possible and likely.

I'm just wondering how they hold up - are they like Black Reach's cruddy Marines or like Black Reach's lovely Orks?

Pacorko
18-06-2010, 05:29
Duvet of Doom

That sounds definitely Helfy, but would have nerfed all the mystery the MKT monkeys are going for and seem deadset on creating with the marvelous "Island of Blood" title.

They want us to be surprised, people!

:shifty:

Oh, dear...

Still, sill(y)(ier) names aside, Sakven are great. If they come in nice numbers and with the magnificent "simplified" Rat Ogres, I'm buying three unless the are priced beyond 60 quid as shipping would kill any deal I might get from either Wayland or Maelstrom.... besides, it was bound to happen: I had refused to collect HElf because of the (to my eyes, mind) horrid spearmen, the horsies and the rather lackluster special troops. If the spears and horses are corrected, those three boxed sets will get me started and it would only be a matter of buying more bits, and hoping the newer miniatures (if any) are nicer if metal or come out in plastic, so conversions are made far eaiser and wider in scope.

TrojanWolf
18-06-2010, 11:05
Coughmortarscough?

coughwarpfirethrowerteamaswellcough?

coughratogrescough + A-A-A Twoooo! ?

Methinks several people I know will be starting High Elf armies so I can get my grubby, Moulder-loving paws on a swarm of Skaven! Thanks much for the info!

Jedi152
18-06-2010, 11:24
I intend to collect both, so i win two ways!

I fully expect a horde of clanrats in the box.

Narius Phinshredder
18-06-2010, 11:38
Since the whole Rule book pre-order day, if you just ask in a store they're sort of open about the fact that it's Skaven Vs High Elves. The guy in my local store who I've known for about the last 15 years even said the HPA would be out at the same time (September), He wasn't sure if it was part of the starter set but there deinately is one and in all likely hood it probably would be part of it!

Sinaris
18-06-2010, 11:38
Its one thing to have some awesome new High Elves coming along. Its even more awesome that when I was first getting into the hobby that I was having a hard time choosing between Skaven and Asur. XD

GodlessM
18-06-2010, 12:11
There's a HPA on the way but last I heard it was still in production so it would never be ready for September.

Narius Phinshredder
18-06-2010, 12:18
There's a HPA on the way but last I heard it was still in production so it would never be ready for September.

Fair enough, maybe it was the preproduction model but from what he said he was pretty much certain it was September.

Gekiganger
18-06-2010, 13:05

"coughratogrescough"!

Coughmortarscough

Nooooooooooo. :cries:

How can I help? :D

A-A-A Twoooo! :D
Baww, not a bone breaker then?

Thanks for the rumours, it's confirmed my purchase of atleast 2 of these box sets, I'd get more but it's adding to an existing army and I'm all ready overstocked on rat ogres.

Dorack
18-06-2010, 13:07
I doubt they would include such a centerpiece miniature as a HPA in a starter set.

But releasing it shortly after the starter with Skavens sounds all too possible.

twistinthunder
18-06-2010, 14:07
I'm curious as to how "simplified" the Skaven will be - I mean, the Clanrats can't be broken down too much more, unless they're all 1-piece, which seems possible and likely.

I'm just wondering how they hold up - are they like Black Reach's cruddy Marines or like Black Reach's lovely Orks?

I'm guessing they will just mould the shields onto their shield arms and retool the spear arms to snap-fit together.

Zaszz
18-06-2010, 14:10
I can't wait for this as I have a small Skaven and a medium sized HE army that I enjoy playing with. I may end up buying two sets to complete the armies depending on the contents!

Suicide Messiah
18-06-2010, 14:10
I'm guessing they will just mould the shields onto their shield arms

Hate it when they do that. Would much prefer single piece minis with seperate shields.

madden
18-06-2010, 14:41
If spear rats i'll get two as mine at the moment have hws and helfs I've wanted to start for a while so all good.

Dr. Who
18-06-2010, 14:46
Warpfire Thrower, 2 Rat Ogres... *sigh* How about something I don't have a boatload off....

- Dr.

Scelerat
18-06-2010, 14:58
Hate it when they do that. Would much prefer single piece minis with seperate shields.

Anyway, I don't think they'll simplify Clanrats. They are already simple yet effective miniatures. In fact, I'd wager one of the reasons they made them three pieces was because they already knew they were going to be in the starter set.

shadow hunter
18-06-2010, 15:25
I was hoping for a Doomflayer weapons team, I have plenty of WFT's. The plague mortar is nice though. Not tried one out yet.

Ultimate Life Form
18-06-2010, 15:40
Bah, I wanted Archers... :(

Still not sold on the army, I was considering HE (as kind of a giveaway with the Skaven parts and small book), but those models must be some of the most horrible under the sun - sure hope they're resculpted and not repackaged.

twistinthunder
18-06-2010, 15:52
the high elves spearmen? yeah they're horrible miniatures.

Ultimate Life Form
18-06-2010, 15:58
Well, actually all of them... :cries:

Those Ellyrian Reaver Horses must be a cruel joke, and the rider doesn't look like the epitome of elven grace, either... :cries:

Skyros
18-06-2010, 15:59
Putting an HPA in the starterset is a good way to make sure any new player stuck with the elves has a horrible experience :p

MajorWesJanson
18-06-2010, 16:01
Spear Elves/Sea Guard, Swordmasters, Ellyrion Reavers, Characters.

Looks like I picked a good time to learn Fantasy and start High Elves.

BramGaunt
18-06-2010, 16:02

Those Ellyrian Reaver Horses must be a cruel joke, and the rider doesn't look like the epitome of elven grace, either... :cries:

You are referring to the current ones, aren't you?

Ultimate Life Form
18-06-2010, 16:03
Yes, what else?

twistinthunder
18-06-2010, 16:04
wowzer those are bad how old are they?

Ultimate Life Form
18-06-2010, 16:06
Even the horse is amused by its own horribleness...

BramGaunt
18-06-2010, 16:11
Ah, okay =) I just wondered where you've seen new ones...

I agree, those are the most terrible horses they made so far..

twistinthunder
18-06-2010, 16:12
it looks like some kid i know doing his nerd impression

Spinocus
18-06-2010, 19:07
Warpfire Thrower, 2 Rat Ogres... *sigh* How about something I don't have a boatload off....

- Dr.

Seriously. I already have four Ratling Guns and four Warpfire Throwers and personally I think the models rock. Was hoping the starter set would come with a Warp Grinder in addition to the Poisoned Wind Mortar.

Anyway, I don't think they'll simplify Clanrats. They are already simple yet effective miniatures. In fact, I'd wager one of the reasons they made them three pieces was because they already knew they were going to be in the starter set.

I agree, why would GW spend more money on making molds for the starter set Clanrat sprues when the new ones are good enough? The new sprues are extremely well designed and compact and only require that people add a sword or spear arm and an optional shield to each figure. Unlike the previous 'monkey rat' Clanrat sprues the new ones sport 10 rats/sprue with precious little space wasted on extra bits. If anything they might tweak some of the existing sprues to get rid of the banner and command items present to make room for more rats and weapons.

I'm curious to know if they're going to create new Rat Ogre models for the starter set or simply use the current ones. I think the current RO models are inferior to the previous metal ones but given that they're still produced in abundance and are integral to the battalion box I can see them tossing then into the starter set as well.

Ludaman
18-06-2010, 19:16
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but arent the starter set kits usually snap together, or 1 piece miniatures? So wouldn't everything in the kit have to be new, or at least slightly modified like the Skull Pass kits or Assault on black reach kits?

loveless
18-06-2010, 19:31
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but arent the starter set kits usually snap together, or 1 piece miniatures? So wouldn't everything in the kit have to be new, or at least slightly modified like the Skull Pass kits or Assault on black reach kits?

You're right.

I'm not sure why so many people are assuming that they're just going to throw standard sprues in the starter kit :confused:

They'll be similar, but not the same.

As such, we have some options:

1) AoBR Ork Style: Nearly indistinguishable from the normal kit, with seperate pieces chosen cleverly to prevent annoying undercuts.
2) AoBR Marine Style: Ridiculously static poses with horrible undercuts for basic troops. Elite troops have weird mold blends on detailed sections.
3) BfSP Style: A few cool-looking models with hordes of static infantry with chunky detail.

I'm really hoping for the first...I don't want another kit where I relegate the majority of one side to "paint test models" instead of playable models. However, I am quite mad*, you know.

*as in "Hatter"

VenomBlood
18-06-2010, 19:40
Seriously. I already have four Ratling Guns and four Warpfire Throwers and personally I think the models rock. Was hoping the starter set would come with a Warp Grinder in addition to the Poisoned Wind Mortar.

I agree, why would GW spend more money on making molds for the starter set Clanrat sprues when the new ones are good enough? The new sprues are extremely well designed and compact and only require that people add a sword or spear arm and an optional shield to each figure. Unlike the previous 'monkey rat' Clanrat sprues the new ones sport 10 rats/sprue with precious little space wasted on extra bits. If anything they might tweak some of the existing sprues to get rid of the banner and command items present to make room for more rats and weapons.

I'm curious to know if they're going to create new Rat Ogre models for the starter set or simply use the current ones. I think the current RO models are inferior to the previous metal ones but given that they're still produced in abundance and are integral to the battalion box I can see them tossing then into the starter set as well.

GW will earn much more money thanks to a new starter set, don't care if someone does not need weapons team.
IoB will be sold through the unique content, so small changes in the existing sets will be paid back many times.

Gekiganger
18-06-2010, 19:51

See

GW will earn much more money thanks to a new starter set, don't care if someone does not need weapons team.
IoB will be sold through the unique content, so small changes in the existing sets will be paid back many times.

It's a started set, not a 'Yo vets, here's an expansion of unusual stuff to your army'. Expect the things that either demonstrate rules (both WFT and Mortars do this quite well showing template use and rat ogres give you a fear causer) and standard infantry blocks to make the game playable.

That crossed my mind when harry said there were two in the box, but it's stupidly unlikely, we'll get a simplified cast probably, same applies to clanrats. Even if the box set ones would have been fine piece-wise.

Grontik
18-06-2010, 20:12
I really hope the models in the starter set are unique and much like the Battle for Skull Pass ones as I have bought the last two battalion boxes already so some variety would be nice. Ultimately would love some slaves en masse but I'll buy the starter even if the clanrat models are the same and just relegate the old clanrats to slave status. Can't wait for this ...

Psygon
18-06-2010, 20:40
The name really makes me think of the Warcraft 3 battle.nt game where the Pirate (almost like Capt. Barbosa) goes on how that you will pay in blood and there will be so much blood it will rain blood, etc. Anyone else know what I am talking about?

But back on topic, I think the fact that (presumably) there will be a 160 page mini rule book will be the selling point for many people. Sure, I like the game background, but 320 pages of fluff? Really?

Spiney Norman
18-06-2010, 21:06

Yep, starter kits are always idiot proof, but thats kinda the point, the models need to be able to be assembled by a retarded monkey with no arms, which may be why Matt Ward has been overseeing the project.

Lord Mayor Of Y'ha-nthlei
19-06-2010, 07:15
I wouldn't exactly say that starter sets are completely idiot proof. due to some mis-cast parts i had trouble with BoM, AoBR and to a lesser degree BfSP, mostly just things not fitting properly, tabs to big for slottabases, pegs that would not fit sockets. it was simple enough to clip the offending parts and just glue them but in my opinion thats a big fail for the idea of them being snap fit. IoB will also be snap fit, there hasn't been a non snap fit starter set since the times of 40k 3rd Ed

Miredorf
19-06-2010, 08:49

I actually love the riders, i believe they are as good as the old metal Seaguard, some of those rare minis of the old which were casted in an amazing level of detail and fineseness.

The horses... I changed them for the new chariot horses. I hope saying this saves me from making a slanderous (sp?) comment about them :p

Morlu
19-06-2010, 10:03
Im very much hoping that the *coughratogrecough* would actually be a warlord on a rat ogre bone breaker, if the HE are getting a dude on a griffon, then why not us raties getting a big mount too?

Dai-Mongar
19-06-2010, 11:10
Perhaps we'll get a war-litter? Or a giant pox-rat?

Avian
19-06-2010, 11:19
Perhaps you won't.

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2010, 11:20
Perhaps you won't.

Avian, as sterling as ever. ;)

theorox
19-06-2010, 11:28
Well that's mean! :D

Care to spill the beans anyone?

Does anybody know what will be in the set on here??

Theo

Jedi152
19-06-2010, 12:31
I wouldn't expect anything too extravagant, so no HPA, no bonebreaker.

My complete estimate for the skaven contents:

40-60 clanrats,
3 Weapon teams,
2 rat ogres.

mrtn
19-06-2010, 12:49
I don't see how anyone can believe that they'd actually put old multipart models which are already available into a starter set. :wtf: That's just miles away from GW's usual modus operandi. They want you to play with your new toys, not glue your fingers together. :rolleyes:

Expect new one-piece models.

Schelle
19-06-2010, 13:24
If HE are getting the griffon, then why not give Skaven a Hell Pit Abomination?

Avian
19-06-2010, 13:27
Because GW loves High Elves more than Skaven.

ghost of scubasteve
19-06-2010, 13:28
hahahaha sure, yes, griffon = hell pit abomination

Mr. Ultra
19-06-2010, 14:47
I agree, why would GW spend more money on making molds for the starter set Clanrat sprues when the new ones are good enough?

They did the same when the BfSP box was released: the dwarf warriors/thunderers and the goblins with spears/bows were released as independent multi-part sprues at the same time (aprox) than the starter set sprues. It won't be a big surprise if the Island of Blood includes a lot of skaven clanrats...

horror
19-06-2010, 15:17
I'd slash open many a delicate Elvin neck to get new rat ogres. While they were sleeping of course. Squeak squeak.

GodlessM
19-06-2010, 18:25
What I've heard recently is that there are 2 Rat Ogres, 2 Weapon Teams, 2 characters, 2 units of Clan Rats, a unit of Slaves, and a unit of Censor Bearers. This is on top of the little terrain bits.

Jedi152
19-06-2010, 18:27
If HE are getting the griffon, then why not give Skaven a Hell Pit Abomination?

It's rules are too complex for a starter game.

It won't be a big surprise if the Island of Blood includes a lot of skaven clanrats...

It'll be a much bigger surprise if the box doesn't include loads of clanrats. What kind of Skaven army would it be otherwise?

agger
19-06-2010, 18:35
What about figures to represent slaves? If the skaven sectment need fire support, then sling armed slaves might be included?

stahly
19-06-2010, 19:13
If I had to take a guess, based on things we've heard so far I'd say:

High Elves:
10 Swordmasters
15-20 Lothern Seaguard
5 Ellyrian Reavers
High Elf Noble on Griffon
maybe a Mage on foot

Skaven:
2 Rat Ogres plus handler
5 Globadiers
1 Poison Wind Mortar team
1 Warpfire Thrower team
1 Chieftain (maybe on Bonebreaker, would be great creating a 3 ogre unit)
1 Warlock Engineer
20-40 Clanrats
10-20 Slaves (maybe with Slings)
maybe if they don't max out on Clanrats I could see them including giant rats, it would allow them to up the model count as the models are very small and could be fill the gaps all over the sprues...

Harry, Hastings, Bram, Scryer, what do you say :D

mrtn
19-06-2010, 19:18
What I've heard recently is that there are 2 Rat Ogres, 2 Weapon Teams, 2 characters, 2 units of Clan Rats, a unit of Slaves, and a unit of Censor Bearers. This is on top of the little terrain bits.

Thanks. That's about 70 models, which is what I predicted, and it will also bring the total amount above 100, enabling the "MOAR TAHN 100 MODLES!!!!!111" stickers we all love. :)
Slaves and clanrats are always welcome, and some good looking censer bearers, weapon teams and rat ogres sounds great as well. Yes, I'm confident that the models will look good, IMO GW hasn't made an ugly plastic kit in two years.

@agger, I've been thinking about sling slaves as well, would be brilliant to get.

Edit: Wow, I've apparently managed to forget the minotaurs, now please don't remind me about them again. :eyebrows:

Mr. Ultra
19-06-2010, 20:17
GW hasn't made an ugly plastic kit in two years

Cough! Cough! *Minotaurs* COUGH! Cough!

This will be far than excellent!!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-06-2010, 20:25
T IMO GW hasn't made an ugly plastic kit in two years.

Except Minotaurs.

So to sum up with Godless's update, this is the content:]

Prince/Noble on Griffon
15-20 Sea Guard
10 Swordmasters
5 Elleyrian Reavers

2 Skaven Characters
40 Clanrats
20 Slaves
2 Weapon Teams
2 Rat Ogres
5 Censor Bearers

With a possibility of a second High Elf Character, probably a mage. For the Skaven, I would be thinking a Chieftain and a Warlock Engineer.

Nixon

Miredorf
19-06-2010, 22:13
I have to say that i bought a box of minos (now assembled and unpainted) and they dont look bad at all. Why all the hate why why why?

EDIT: are the 2 armies more or less equal in points? i mean the HE and the skaven in the box

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-06-2010, 22:25
I have to say that i bought a box of minos (now assembled and unpainted) and they dont look bad at all. Why all the hate why why why?

EDIT: are the 2 armies more or less equal in points? i mean the HE and the skaven in the box

Probably because of the awful GW paint job.

I don't know about the points, but they often go upon general balance rather than points, as in AoBR, so not necessarily.

Nixon

Ramius4
19-06-2010, 22:31

The paint job GW did made the minos look awful, so people hated them before they even came out.

I've seen them in person and unpainted and thought they looked good. They could use a little more texture (hair) but otherwise they're decent.

As for the cost of the troops as listed above...

HE Roughly 800
Skaven (without the characters) Roughly 500

So really it depends on the character, maybe it's a Grey Seer or something.

Avian
19-06-2010, 22:40
Make a thread in Fantasy General if you really want to know. Lots of people will be only too happy to tell you - it's been weeks since the last thread on the subject.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-06-2010, 22:43
Make a thread in Fantasy General if you really want to know. Lots of people will be only too happy to tell you - it's been weeks since the last thread on the subject.

Most Warseerists will have forgotten about that now, Avian. It has been a long time.

Nixon

BobtheInquisitor
19-06-2010, 22:51

Are any of these characters a grey seer? I really want a plastic grey seer (who isn't riding a bell).

stahly
19-06-2010, 22:52

Censor Bearers? BramGaunt said Poison Wind Globadiers?

PS: Regarding Minotaurs, look here: http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/02/beasts-in-woods.html ;)

Gekiganger
19-06-2010, 22:56

Censer Bearers without plague monkeys? Not something I was expecting, but considering the current CB sculpts and the abundance of plague monks I have hanging around, no complaints if that's right.

Im very much hoping that the *coughratogrecough* would actually be a warlord on a rat ogre bone breaker, if the HE are getting a dude on a griffon, then why not us raties getting a big mount too?

Because we're skaven not high elves? Victory isn't accomplished by small elite (or monstrous) units, but drowning them in a tide of fur and cowardice, besides, if GodlessM is right, I'll be attempting to ram censer bearers down it's throat.

ooglatjama
19-06-2010, 23:29
You're all wrong. My local redshirt says Chaos Dwarfs vs. Dogs of War

Dr.Chud
19-06-2010, 23:59
You're all wrong. My local redshirt says Chaos Dwarfs vs. Dogs of War

well if he heard it from a redshirt thats good enough for me

any rumors what this set is gonna cost? Havent played WFB in years but it sounds like its gonna be a great deal - picked up skull pass for the same reason might come in handy down the road

Red Metal
20-06-2010, 00:16
any rumors what this set is gonna cost? Havent played WFB in years but it sounds like its gonna be a great deal - picked up skull pass for the same reason might come in handy down the road

BfSP is at $75 right now, so I imagine this one may set the bar higher at $90+.

mrtn
20-06-2010, 00:32
As for the cost of the troops as listed above...

HE Roughly 800
Skaven (without the characters) Roughly 500

So really it depends on the character, maybe it's a Grey Seer or something.
I get the skaven to 600 without characters, assuming spears and shields on the clanrats and slings on the slaves and full command. Add a cheap warlord and an engineer and you're up at 800 with those as well.

BlutGeist
20-06-2010, 04:16
That is a decent chunk of points for the assumed price, especially for skaven. I am anxious to see what this set ends up looking like, and hope we will not have to wait long for a glimpse.

Ramius4
20-06-2010, 05:21
I get the skaven to 600 without characters, assuming spears and shields on the clanrats and slings on the slaves and full command. Add a cheap warlord and an engineer and you're up at 800 with those as well.

Oops. 697 without characters. I think I neglected to add in the weapons teams, leading to my wrong estimate of roughly 500 for the Skaven.

Still should be a bit less, but not overly so. It's hard to say without knowing the how many of each HE unit they're putting in, or what the Skaven characters might be.

Mr. Ultra
20-06-2010, 07:16
For the characters, I think the engineer is a compulsory option, it's the most used and it had no new model in the last book renovation.

And about the rat ogres... Great chance for redone the horrible toy-like models!!

GodlessM
20-06-2010, 11:15
Censor Bearers? BramGaunt said Poison Wind Globadiers?

PS: Regarding Minotaurs, look here: http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/02/beasts-in-woods.html ;)

Sorry my bad, I always get the two mixed up.

shabbadoo
20-06-2010, 11:15
Sounds cool. I had the rats before, but never the pointy ears. Must...resist...the...pointy...ears....nnngggh!!!

Mystic_Weasel
20-06-2010, 11:28
Happy-happy joy-joy. Even if i do not upgrade to the new edition of WH, will be happy to see any new ratties. I hope for a bombadier and some globadiers to go with the mortar, current censor bearers are not so bad, and FAR FAR newer than the globadiers. and considering the age are about as overpriced as the wraithguard. Doesn't encourage people to try out this rather amusing and unsual unit. I would sacrifice the "missile unit" of slaves for this option! (and i would love slaves with slings). But we are promised many goodies this year! lets not be disappointed if we don't get what we want in the box. Oh, and maybe the Elf things will be happy too, neeegh.

Schelle
20-06-2010, 13:47
Plastic Poison Wind Globadiers = hooray
Plastic Censor Bearers = hooray
Chaos Dwarfs vs DOW = double hooray

So, whatever it turns out to be it will be a win-win situation for me.

BRILLIANT!!!! You all made my day, thanks guys!

Scryer in the Darkness
20-06-2010, 15:51
Newsletter tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime! :D

Incoming! The Island of Blood

The Warhammer world; it is a place riven by battle, where mighty armies clash for glory, honour or the entertainment of Dark Gods. Darkened skies, tortured by cataclysmic magics tear open and rain blood upon the ceaseless combatants and the landscape is wracked by the carnage around it. Trees writhe in mutated agony, lashing out with limb and branch and rivers flow thick with the corpses of the slain. All upon the land are consumed by the unending battle, an age of war in which victory and defeat hang in the balance.

Cast against this macabre tableau fight mighty armies -warriors by their million raise banners of defiance or icons of dismay, taking up arms in the clash for survival. Beleaguered and surrounded, the forces of Order fight desperately to stem the tide of the armies of Destruction. Delighting in the carnage and ruination, the Dark Gods look on.

The Island of Blood is but one battleground upon the face of the Warhammer world, a mystical and dangerous place that has been twisted and mutated by the warping power of Chaos. In ages past the Island of Blood was a battleground upon which armies have bled and died in the ageless battle for supremacy... and they will do so again. Soon.

The Island of Blood is the new boxed game for Warhammer and is released this September. Packed full of stunning plastic Citadel miniatures and containing all the rules, dice and templates you'll need to play, it's the essential purchase for fans of the Warhammer hobby.

Meanwhile, if you like the Battle for Skull Pass boxed game (and who wouldn't with all those Goblins and Dwarfs) then it only seems fair to point out that once the last few remaining copies are gone they're gone, and they're never coming back! Pick one up while stocks last.

In August we'll feature more information about The Island of Blood on games-workshop.com and the full details will be released in September's White Dwarf.

If you can't wait until September to get your hands on the new rules then don't forget that the new Warhammer Rulebook and complete range of accessories are available to advance order by clicking on the image below.

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2010, 15:54
Mr Scryer, as usual you're a hero (even though you recently labeled me a 'person not worth spending time with'. :p)

Scryer in the Darkness
20-06-2010, 15:55
Mr Scryer, as usual you're a hero (even though you recently labeled me a 'person not worth spending time with'. :p)
LOL! Indirectly though my good fellow, indirectly. ;)

Archaon
20-06-2010, 16:11
Not going to wade through 11 pages so here goes:

Anyone have information what the small "rulesbooklet" will entail? Will it have the full rules and charts/magic spells like the 7th BfSP book has or will they intentionally omit some passages so you have to buy the big one.

Personally as a veteran of more than 15 years of Warhammer i don't need the full color miniature section or sections on how to organize campaigns/games.

I just need the full rules and don't want to lug that huge book around.

Avian
20-06-2010, 16:15
Not going to wade through 11 pages so here goes:

Anyone have information what the small "rulesbooklet" will entail?
Well, they say:

The Island of Blood is the new boxed game for Warhammer and is released this September. Packed full of stunning plastic Citadel miniatures and containing all the rules, dice and templates you'll need to play, it's the essential purchase for fans of the Warhammer hobby.

(It's a bit pointless of my to say this, since people have been asking if the current little rulebook contains all the rules for the last four years now, someone will need to repeat it over and over again anyway...)

theorox
20-06-2010, 16:17
Oh...Those are all current models in the pic, are'nt they?

I will buy that WD for sure! And probably also the starterset... :angel:

Theo :chrome:

Scryer in the Darkness
20-06-2010, 16:19
(It's a bit pointless of my to say this, since people have been asking if the current little rulebook contains all the rules for the last four years now, someone will need to repeat it over and over again anyway...)
And again and again. And again and again.

Oh...Those are all current models in the pic, are'nt they?
Yup, they always are these days.

Avian
20-06-2010, 16:19
Only thing not already for sale is the statue in the background.

Deff Mekz
20-06-2010, 16:22
Look at the High Elf standard bearer next to the statue. New model? I personally have never seen it before.

Edit: Oh right, I see thanks Avian.

Avian
20-06-2010, 16:25
Look at the High Elf standard bearer next to the statue. New model? I personally have never seen it before.
6th edition army big box special release model.

Ultimate Life Form
20-06-2010, 16:25
Now all the little kids will think there's Dragons and Screaming Bells in the set. :rolleyes:

Tastyfish
20-06-2010, 16:31
Yup, they always are these days.
Even in the rulebook? Though I guess that could be why the big one comes out first.

Still seems strange for even the artwork for the new box not to make it in, even if the models don't. Having said that, I've not recently checked last editions.

decker_cky
20-06-2010, 16:31
It's not quite all the rules though, it's missing the extra scenarios, and a bunch of optional bonus rules.

So it's poisoned wind globadiers rather than plague censer bearers? Amazing! I'll definitely be getting several boxes to flesh out my globadiers. I thought censer bearers seemed odd for that slot. Globadiers show the skirmisher rules a lot better.

Ramius4
20-06-2010, 16:33
Thanks Scryer. And Avian and ULF since you're both around for all the rumors and info.

Anyways, too bad they don't at least have a few of the starter set miniatures in that pic but I didn't really expect them to. Seems to be a trend with them when they announce new armies now as well. Announcements are just that. Announcements.

jullevi
20-06-2010, 16:35
Only thing not already for sale is the statue in the background.

And even the statue is not a new sculpt. It is a 3-up from a small statue (http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/images/215645824451.jpg) found on Eldar Dire Avengers sprue.

Scryer in the Darkness
20-06-2010, 16:35
Even in the rulebook?
I was talking about GW's Newsletters. But no, no new models in the rulebook besides the Daemons that I saw.

Still seems strange for even the artwork for the new box not to make it in, even if the models don't.
As I've lamented previously, GW have done such a good job reining in leaks and controling rumours that, now that they have an almost sole conduit of info in the form of the Newsletters, that they have since Blood Angels shown us no new models in them. (:rolleyes: at GW)