PDA

View Full Version : VC or TK for a skeleton heavy force?

Darwin_green
15-06-2010, 06:54
hey there, I'm wanting to do an undead army after painting up a pair of OOP Wrights (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93564-01.jpg)(6 & 7) that I totally love. I really want to do a skeleton-centric army ala-"Army of the Dead", or anything from an old sinbad movie.

So I'm torn between starting them as either a Tomb Kings force(Barrow Kings) or vampire counts. Both have units that entice me.

Vampire counts have corpes carts, Wright cavalry and banshee's and other creepy gothicy things.

Tomb Kings offer archers, catapults, chariots, and giants.

so, what are the pro's and cons of either choice?

Crimifa
15-06-2010, 10:44
i myself have ponder this very question, barrow kings vs vampires for an army of the dead.... i am not really a fan of vampires (not true, but i didn't want them in my army of the dead, i wanted a force like the scourge from warcraft 3... lol for the barrow kings version the "casket of souls" was a converted throne thing from the sisters of battle inquistor to be a "forgotten ancient king" {inspiration actually came from the dragonlance series and how i imagined the scene where they obtain the wyrmslayer sword})

tomb kings do the army of the dead better mechanically... but vampires have superior undead army theme; ghouls, zombies, skeletons and ghosts (the basic 4 dead guys) with necromancers and wight kings as your heroes...

whats even better, is this style of army just might be about to get a nice buff in 8th edition, no more auto-breaking from fear is a pain BUT!! what enemy could possibly kill a solid block of 100 zombies with more being risen into it? i couldn't think of a better anvil!!!

they both have their merits, tomb kings are if you want purely skeletons. vampires if you want an army of the dead...

still, such a hard call.

also, forgive my post, upon re-reading it i think that i have said nothing and just gone in circles. But it gives a sense of what i go through every time i sit down and think of which army makes the better undead force.

Idle Scholar
15-06-2010, 11:19
Collect the models you want and then use whatever rules takes your fancy. (i.e. TK chariots with VC skellies replacing the crew etc.)

Angelwing
15-06-2010, 11:55
Pick a lahmian vampire count theme, and paint your skeletons with Egyptian markings. Then you can swap out your specials, rares and heroes for either army. Have a solid core of skeletons that can be mixed and matched.

ChaosVC
15-06-2010, 14:03
TK, because everything is bone. Bone giant, bone scorpain, bone chariots, bone bone bone.

mrtn
15-06-2010, 14:55
When it comes to models I think you could take a look at Mantic Games undead army, it seems like a "classic" undead army.

As to rules I've been interested in starting a skeleton army myself, without vampires, and I've decided to wait for the new tomb kings armybook before deciding anything.

Darwin_green
15-06-2010, 20:12
I don't know, fantasy doesn't seem as bad as completely changing things up on you like they do for 40k(alas poor tyranid players).

though, I would be bummed out if they got rid of the arrows of the asp rule.

Darwin_green
15-06-2010, 22:33
well, I guess I'll start them off as Vampire counts. Then after I see the new Tomb Kings book, i can add chariots and stuff.