PDA

View Full Version : Quotes!

I think that those little background establishing quotes are the Best part of 40k. Post them, or links, here!

Starting off,
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/ChurchMilitant

Horus_Lupercal
15-06-2010, 06:48
"the enemy of my enemy is my greatest ally" ---traitor inquisitor quixos

"the enemy of my enemy is a problem for another day, until then they might be useful"--- blood gorgon traitor marine

DantesInferno
15-06-2010, 06:54
Here are some of my favourites:

"Your presence does not surprise me, Assassin. I have known of you ever since your craft entered the Eastern Fringes. Why did I not have you killed? Because your mission and the act you are about to commit proves the truth of all I have ever said or done. I merely punished those who had wronged, just as your false Emperor now seeks to punish me. Death is nothing compared to vindication."

“Though the gates that separate the mortal world from the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear.”

"We fight the long war, not through vain notions of duty or honour, but through a far purer purpose: hatred. At the height of our glory we were betrayed and cast out by our own kin. Guilliman, Dorn, Sanguinius - these are names I curse. Horus, Perturabo, Angron - these names I revere, names I would follow to the very end. It is that hatred that has sustained me through the long millennia. I tend it with bitterness. I nurture it with the deaths of my former brothers. For I know that when the end is upon us and Horus is returned, then the false Emperor shall be cast down from his sepulchral Golden Throne, and we shall take our rightful place at the side of Horus, the true Emperor of Mankind."

“And what are the achievements of your fragile Imperium? It is a corpse rotting slowly from without while maggots writhe in its belly. It was built with the toil of heroes and giants, and now it is inhabited by frightened weaklings to whom the glories of those times are half-forgotten legends. I have forgotten nothing, and my wisdom has expanded far beyond mere mortal frailties.”

"No army is big enough to conquer the galaxy. But faith alone can overturn the universe."

"The universe is not like a puzzle box that you can take apart and put back together again and so solve its secrets. It is a shifting, uncertain thing which changes as you consider it, which is changed by the very act of observation. A powerful man is not a man who dissects the universe like a puzzle-box, examining it piece by piece and measuring each piece with scientific precision. A powerful man has only to look upon the universe to change it."

“I am not asking for blood. I can take your blood. I am asking for souls. Only you can give me your souls.”

"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you still dare to oppose our will."

"Bring me another plaything. This one seems to have broken."

"I'm da hand of Gork and Mork, dey sent me to rouse up da boyz to crush and kill 'cos da boyz forgot what dere 'ere for. I woz one of da boyz till da godz smashed me in da 'head an' I 'membered dat Orks is meant to conquer and make slaves of everyfing they don't kill.
I'm da profit of da Waaagh an' whole worlds burn in my boot prints. On Armour-Geddem I led da boyz through da fire deserts and smashed da humies'metal cities to scrap. I fought Yarik, old one-eye at Tartarus, an' he fought good but we smashed iz city too.
I'm death to anyfing that walks or crawls, where I go nothin' stands in my way. We crushed da stunties on Golgotha, an' we caught old one-eye when da speed freeks blew da humies' big tanks ta bits. I let 'im go 'cause good enemies iz 'ard to find, an' Orks need good enemies ta fight like they need meat to eat an' grog ta drink.
I iz more cunning than a Grot an' more killy dan a dread, da boyz dat follow me can't be beat. On Pissenah we jumped da marine-boyz an' our bosspoles was covered in da helmets we took from da dead 'uns. We burned dere port an' killed dere bosses an' left nothin' but ruins behind.
I'm Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an' I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp da 'ooniverse flat an' kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz' we're Orks an' we was made to fight an' win."

"Each must find their own way, if those in our heartland had witnessed the savageries of the void as have we they would know this. The hand of each of the great starfarers is turned against the other, none will join their strength together just to see their ancient enemies prosper. Neither should we."

Hellebore
15-06-2010, 06:57
My favourite, the one that imo defines 40k is:

Some say, why kill the Alien?
I say, Why not?

Hellebore

DantesInferno
15-06-2010, 07:02
If we're looking for the definitive quote, this one has to be in the running too:

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods."

Grenzstein
15-06-2010, 07:13
Loyalists get the best quotes. ;)

Three Legions of Marines stand to defend you, sire. All of us will unflinchingly place ourselves between you and the war’s desolation. We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear – but your silence terrifies me.

The uniforms of the Imperial Guard are camouflaged in order to protect their wearers by hiding them from sight.

The principle is that what the enemy cannot see he cannot kill. This is not the way of the Adeptus Astartes. A Space Marine’s armour is bright with heraldry that proclaims his devotion to his Chapter and the beloved Emperor of Mankind. Our principle is that what the enemy can see, he will soon learn to fear…

To the darkness I bring fire. To the ignorant I bring faith. Those who welcome these gifts may live, but I will visit naught but death and eternal damnation on those who refuse them.

The galaxy is the Emperor's, and anyone or anything who challenges that claim is an enemy who must be destroyed.

Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of Him on Earth!

khirsath
15-06-2010, 07:17
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper, yet only those who prosper truly judge what is sane

originally in Rogue Trader, but I think it sums up the whole crazy galaxy

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/SuperSoldier

Devastator
15-06-2010, 09:45
Give me a gun, a google-eyed alien to shoot it at, and I’ll die a happy man.

Ogryns. If we time it just right, the Eldar will all be going "What the..." just when what's left of the Company breaks cover over here and piles into them. No spreading out, no fancy stuff, just smash through. Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
----------------

Drakcore Bloodtear
15-06-2010, 16:42
Well if there was one quote that, IMO definds 40K it has to be...

The universe is a big place and what ever happens, you will not be missed

One cannot consider the fate of a single man, nor ten, nor a hundred, nor a thousand. Billions will live or die by our actions here, and we have not the luxury to count the cost.

My men stopped firing, dropped to their knees and curled up into foetal balls. That weren't natural fear. They've evoled again, and this time it's something you can't just shoot at.

Lupe
15-06-2010, 18:14
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars and sought to better themselves for the good of all. But we are much wiser now.

I personally think this is the very staple of the Imperium and the whole 40K setting...

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends on where one is standing at the time

Kill a thousand men and they will hate you. Kill a million men and they will queue to face you. But kill a single man and they will see monsters and devils in every shadow. Kill a dozen men and they will scream and wail in the night, and they shall feel not hatred but fear

Lord Inquisitor
15-06-2010, 18:21
I always found this one pretty amusing, from Cities of Death, p59

Every Man is a But Spark in the Darkness

flota
15-06-2010, 18:24
There is not such a thing as innocence, a plea of innocence in my court is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

you gotta love the hereticus :D

Argastes
15-06-2010, 18:48
Oh man. First a bunch from the 2nd Edition core books (rulebook, wargear book, Codex Imperialis):

"The more I learn about these aliens, the more I come to understand what drives them, the more I hate them. I hate them for what they are and for what they may one day become. I hate them not because they hate us but because they are incapable of good, honest, human hatred."
--Inquisitor Agmar on Tyranids

"The strong are strongest alone."
--The Tyrant of Badab

"Though my guards may sleep and ships may rest at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns will never tire."
--The Tyrant of Badab

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gate unbarred and unguarded."

"Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully."
--Helem Boesch, attributed

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane."
(The piece of artwork that accompanies this quote in the rulebook is really perfect.)

"When people forget their duty they are no longer human and become something less than beasts. They have no place in the bosom of humanity nor in the heart of the Emperor. Let them die and be forgotten."
--From the Prime Edicts of the Holy Synod of the Adeptus Ministorum

"Men united in the purpose of the Emperor are blessed in his sight and shall live forever in his memory."
--Ecclesiarch Deacis

"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought. As all men must thank progenitors obscured by the past, so must we endure the present so that those who follow may continue the endeavor."
--The Chime of Eons, Garba Mojaro Technomagos

"Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realize that you have no right to let them live."
--In Exterminatus Extremis

"The common man is like a worm in the gut of a corpse, trapped inside a prison of cold flesh, helpless and uncaring, unaware even of the inevitability of its own doom"

"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
--Kargos Bloodspitter, Champion of Khorne

And from the 3rd Edition rulebook:

"It is not the horror of war that troubles me, but the unseen horrors of peace."

"Official! The graves of warrriors who have given their lives for the Emperor now outnumber the stars themselves."

"If a job's worth doing, it's worth dying for."

"It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself."

"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

"Be courageous and bold, be humble before your masters, lead with valor! These things above all others will be of use when your time comes to die."

"When cities burn and armies turn
And flee in disarray,
Cowards will cry, 'tis best to fly
And fight another day
But warriors know it in their marrow
When they die and fall
'Tis better to have fought and lost
Than not to have fought at all."

Also from the 3rd Edition rulebook:

BY THE EMPEROR

Thou shalt attend to thy work at the appointed hour.

Thou shalt seek no reward but the satisfaction of thy Master.

Thou shalt know they Duties.

Thou shalt Obey thy Master in all matters.

Thou shalt rejoice in thy Service.

Thou shalt be grateful of thy Master's Favour.

Thou shalt not make improper use of thy Master's comm-links, nor his las-lines, nor his opticon either.

Thou shalt be glad of thy Master's punishment, for it is deserved and it improves thee.

Thou shalt not speak but praise of they Master.

Thou shalt not look upon the works of the Heretic nor speak of them.

--Ecclesiarchal Proscriptions

A Shadow
16-06-2010, 00:50
"Ten thousand years of battle, and still the war goes on. Like the glorious annals of the Imperium itself, the revered banners and relics of the Emperor's most loyal servants adorn the long march to the Eternity Gate.

Let those who would gaze at the splendour of the Imperial Palace take a moment to marvel at the achievements of His greatest warriors.

As the Emperor's sacrifice is immortal, so shall we immortalise those who sacrificed all for Him."

"Who is to judge what is right and wrong? Great and powerful foes surround us; unknown miscreants gnaw at us from within. We are threatened with total annihilation. In days such as these we can afford no luxury of morality."

"They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear."

"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

"Sometimes the good must perish so that the rest survive. The lot of courage is to be sacrificed upon the altar of battle."

"The Imperium! How mighty its aspect! How far-reaching its boundaries! As one world dies ten more are brought into the fold. Fear us, for we count the lives of planets, not men!"

"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they’re out to get you, it means you think you matter."

"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush."

"The enemies of the Emperor fear many things.
They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death.
Yet there is one thing they fear above all others.
They fear the wrath of the Space Marines!"

"Camouflage is the colour of fear. I have no need to hide from my foes. I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than words “I am proud to live – I am proud to die."

"My sword is at the Emperor’s command. I answer to no other man, living or dead."

Sildani
16-06-2010, 01:55
"Even a man who has nothing can still give his life in service to the Emperor."

What is our greatest fear?
To perish with our task yet unfufilled.
What is our greatest joy?
To die knowing our work is done.

And because no one's listed it yet:
KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN! KILL! MAIM! BURN!

canucklhead
17-06-2010, 00:40
My favorite quote concerning 40k comes from my son, who answered this when his younger sister asked which side he was on in his miniatures game.

"There are no sides, it's just a war."

Crazy Ivan
17-06-2010, 08:33
When in deadly danger,
when beset by doubt,
run in little circles,
wave your arms and shout.

AndrewGPaul
17-06-2010, 10:56
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred from the cold furrow of mortal life. I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
--Kargos Bloodspitter, Champion of Khorne

Using merely the last sentence of that quotation as a search term, I found

this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240836&highlight=embrace+death+regret+embraced+life+fear) from January 2010,
this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116702&highlight=embrace+death+regret+embraced+life+fear) from December 2007 and
this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37439&highlight=embrace+death+regret+embraced+life+fear) from May 2006. Most of the good ones are already in there, and I'm not typing them all out again.

Except this one:

++ Commander. They Beg for mercy -
++ Mercy! Oh Lord Khorne, truly have you led us to a land overflowing with blood and skulls! Give them the mercy of death.
++ Affirm. Blood! Blood! Blood for my Lord!
++ Chosen of Khorne, lead us in the final assault!
++ Blood for the Blood God! Suppressing fire. Forward and centre. Heavy Bolters range 250. Move scum.../

Communications intercept ends. The Portrein defenders are assumed to have detonated their armoury.
-Ordo Malleus Secret Report:
Portrein Raid 106960.M41

This should be tattooed onto the arm of whoever gets to write the next Codex: Chaos Space Marines, as evidence that a force can be made up of worshippers of Khorne without being dumbed down into a horde of one-dimensional drooling berserkers.

FabricatorGeneralMike
17-06-2010, 20:42
"I cry out for troops and you give me rhetoric- I plead for ammunition and you give me speeches- I ask you again, Commander, What can you pledge me?"

"A heroic death, Captain."

Reported holocom conversation between Commander Gulim Tarrel and Captain Roima of the besieged Alharmo garrison shortly before the final Ork assault.

Always one of my favs =o]

Lord Malorne
17-06-2010, 20:50
One that sucked me into being a Black Templar player since release date:

Your honour is your life, let none dispute it.

fudgebutt
18-06-2010, 06:08
Finally started playing dawn of war soulstorm, and found a brilliant quote in a load screen:

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind."

God damn that's dark and spiky!

Gdolkin
18-06-2010, 13:01
Finally started playing dawn of war soulstorm, and found a brilliant quote in a load screen:

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind."

God damn that's dark and spiky!
Ah, that's at least as old as 2nd Ed., I love that one, it's true too..
Good call buddy :) welcome to Warseer

Dark Aly
18-06-2010, 13:12
in the rouge trader compendium it read
"fear is an illusion of thine mind; pain is an illusion of thine senses"

also in the same book
"inspiration grows from the barrel of a gun"
(with a picture of a commissar sumarily excecuting a fleeing guardsman)

Private Ginger
18-06-2010, 13:59
This is as my Master told it to me and now I tell it to thee.

There are a billion names of damnation! A billion kinds of things that slither and slime and defile the land and sea and wind. Each thing is a kind of sin spawned by man's evil. And that man is very sinful there are many of these damned things and their power is great.
As the purpose of all things in nature is to increase so it is with the damned. They would we joined them and so they seek to overcome us. In alien forms they assault us. In sleep they come to spread doubt and fear among us. They would corrupt our hearts and see us damned too. Trust them not nor suffer them to live.

For each alien destroyed is a soul freed from eternal bondage. Each mortal alien life extinguished is a human soul raised to glory. Thus our eternal destiny is written in the blood of the alien.

With sword and spear destroy the alien. With cannon shot and gun blast smash the alien. With laser beam and searing plasma scatter the alien to the stars. With tooth and fist and hammer blows, with axe and shell and poison-bombs, with VIRUS-CHARGE and THERMAL MINE!

KILL THEM ALL! KILL THEM ALL! KILL THEM ALL!

As my Master told it to me I now tell it to thee that thou shalt tell others in thy turn.

A quote I found on tvtropes.org under the Ecclesiarchy.

R0ot
18-06-2010, 15:51
My favorite quote from the BT Codex and Helsreach Novel.

I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or die!

StormWulfen
18-06-2010, 22:01
I can't quite remember where i got this from, hell it may not even be from any GW books but damn it's cool:

The Imperium of Man stretches over a million worlds? each with millions of inhabitants? Well I guess we will need more ammo then wont we?

HK-47
18-06-2010, 23:09
Here is another one from Helsreach: "We are judged in life for the evil we destroy."

And another quote that show that not all Khorne followers are brainless psychos: "I salute you! For though our path has been long and bloody, you have served our Lord with unflinching courage and the honour of true warriors. We have seen many fall today and must remember, even as we die, that our blood too is welcome..."

fudgebutt
18-06-2010, 23:24
Ah, that's at least as old as 2nd Ed., I love that one, it's true too..
Good call buddy :) welcome to Warseer

Long time lurker (since portent.net). And it's a peach!

Freak Ona Leash
18-06-2010, 23:34
Death is nothing compared to vindication.
-Konrad Curze, the Night Haunter.

Been said before, but it remains my favorite 40k quote.

Penitent Engine
19-06-2010, 23:55
My spleen!

Anyone who's played DoW1 should know that one :D

And this, from tvtropes:

The Imperium of Man is an oppressive, stark, and downright miserable place to live in where, for far too many people, living isn't something to do till you die, but something to suffer through till something comes around and kills you in an unbelievably horrible way, while enslaving your soul and melting down your body for more biomass for its army - quite probably something on your own side.

252nd Fire Dragoon
20-06-2010, 00:18
Aloha,
Penitent: Ah yes, the chaos Cultist when they are being attacked and killed. Good times :D. A quote that I absolutely love from the IG codex.

"We've run into scorpions the size of battle tanks. Three men died from Eyerot last week an I've sweated enough to fill a lake. Emperor help me, I love this place- It's just like home!" -Captain Rock

MvS
20-06-2010, 01:08
"True faith is closing your eyes and following the call of your soul down to the bottom of life, where mortality becomes irrelevant and existence and non-existence have merged into chaos."

~ Cardinal Xaphan of Vraks

"The sky will weep with the ash of your kind's passing and none but the dust shall remember."

~ The Lament of Ba've Matha

"Though our guards may sleep and our ships may lay at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire."

"The Emperor Protects."

Xyrex
20-06-2010, 01:39
I love this quote

"He saw his life stretching out ahead of him like a long dark tunnel with no light at the end of it. He was wrong. There was a light, and it was a flamethrower." -Terry Pratchett

love your sig penitent, i was so ROFL from it.

Xyrex
20-06-2010, 01:41
I probably misquoted this, but

The grots working at the guns would eventually go deaf, and have to resort to a crude form of sign language, but since there are only so many signs you could make with three fingers, this lead to accidents.

And just ork fluff in general.

fall3nang3l
20-06-2010, 05:57
Could someone post the exerpt from the intro in the Horus Rising book? I lent out my copy to a friend. It is my all time favorite excerpt of literature/quote having to do with Warhammer 40k.

Its about how no matter what a man does they dont affect the passing of time. *insert epic text here*

"And then there was Horus"

can anyone help me out??

Also
"Infantry win firefights.
Tanks win battles.
Artillery win wars." - 'Old saying amongst Imperial Guard artillery officers' (from IG codex)

^ is what made me fall for guard.

madd0ct0r
20-06-2010, 06:14
Grot quote is better in reality

Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful, as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him

Fulgrim's Gimp
20-06-2010, 21:26
'Possession was once nine tenths of the lore,but we must blind ourselves to the tenth that was human'

Inq Thrax ROC STD if I recall it right.

HK-47
20-06-2010, 22:50
Could someone post the exerpt from the intro in the Horus Rising book? I lent out my copy to a friend. It is my all time favorite excerpt of literature/quote having to do with Warhammer 40k.

Its about how no matter what a man does they dont affect the passing of time. *insert epic text here*

"And then there was Horus"

can anyone help me out??

There is a quote similar to that in "False Gods".

"It is the folly of men to believe that they are great players on the stage of history, that their actions might affect the grand procession that is the passage of time. It is an insulting conceit a powerful man might clasp tight to his bosom that he might sleep away the night, safe in the knowledge that, but for his presence, the world would not turn, the mountains would crumble and the seas dry up. But if the remembrance of history has taught us anything, it is that, in time, all things will pass. Unnumbered civilizations before ours are naught but dust and bones, and greatest heroes of their age are forgotten legends. No man lives forever and even as memory fades, so too will any remembrance of him.

It is a universal truth and an unavoidable law that cannot be denied, despite the protestations of the vain, the arrogant and the tyrannical.

Horus was the exception."

Kyril Sindermann, Preface to the Remembrancers

Scribe of Khorne
21-06-2010, 00:11
Grot quote is better in reality

Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful, as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him

This had me laughing. :p

Honestly, pretty much anything associated with grots I find awesome.

fall3nang3l
21-06-2010, 01:07
There is a quote similar to that in "False Gods".

"It is the folly of men to believe that they are great players on the stage of history, that their actions might affect the grand procession that is the passage of time. It is an insulting conceit a powerful man might clasp tight to his bosom that he might sleep away the night, safe in the knowledge that, but for his presence, the world would not turn, the mountains would crumble and the seas dry up. But if the remembrance of history has taught us anything, it is that, in time, all things will pass. Unnumbered civilizations before ours are naught but dust and bones, and greatest heroes of their age are forgotten legends. No man lives forever and even as memory fades, so too will any remembrance of him.

It is a universal truth and an unavoidable law that cannot be denied, despite the protestations of the vain, the arrogant and the tyrannical.

Horus was the exception."

Kyril Sindermann, Preface to the Remembrancers

This was it. Thanks

Grimbad
21-06-2010, 05:00
"Victory does not always rest with the big guns, but if we rest in front of them we will be lost."
"Do not waste your tears, I was not born to see the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years, but by the deeds of men."

HK-47
21-06-2010, 05:02
"Victory does not always rest with the big guns, but if we rest in front of them we will be lost."
"Do not waste your tears, I was not born to see the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years, but by the deeds of men."

Where does the second quote come from?

FabricatorGeneralMike
21-06-2010, 05:20
Where does the second quote come from?

RT book....

Xyrex
21-06-2010, 05:22
This had me laughing. :p

Honestly, pretty much anything associated with grots I find awesome.

40k is all about grots. :D

Herman the Heathen
22-06-2010, 07:17
A few orky gems.

"Operate! Operate! Still time to operate!" - Ork mad dok.

"Ah! fresh meat! I can make so many improvements!" - Ork mad dok.

"Might is right! And we don't care who we has to beat up to prove it!" - Kinda sums up the orks...

"Get 'em boyz! Dakka Dakka Dakka! WAAAGH! THE ORKS! WAAAGH!" - Rotgob, Ork strategist...as above...:D

"If ya wanna be big an' mean.
If ya wanna be best an' green.
If ya wanna get da job done fast.
Da Vulcha Skwad iz where it's at!"
- Lift off chant of the Vulcha Skwad.

Zweischneid
22-06-2010, 12:42
Not technically a quote, but still 40K in a nutshell!

DRIVE ME CLOSER! I want to hit them with my sword! (http://www.the-warforge.com/wp-content/gallery/general/drive-me-closer_-i-want-to-hit-them-with-my-sword.png)

Murrithius
22-06-2010, 16:06
"They shall be pure of heart and strong of body, untainted by doubt and unsullied by self-aggrandisement. They will be bright stars in the firmament of battle. Angels of Death whose shining wings bring swift annihilation to the enemies of Man. So shall it be for a thousand times a thousand years, unto the very end of eternity and the extinction of mortal flesh." - Guilliman

Always found that cool. Along with:

"We shall know no fear, for we are fear incarnate!"

Which I believe was a Konrad Curze one.

MvS
22-06-2010, 19:00
They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give themselves to me.
Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of war I shall forge them.
They will be of iron will and steely muscle.

In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest weaponry shall they be armed.
They will be untouched by plague and disease; no sickness will blight them.

They will have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe shall best them in battle.

They are my bulwark against the Terror.
They are the defenders of Humanity.
They are my Space Marines, and they shall know no fear

~ The Emperor of Man

+++

Listen but closely Brothers, for my life's breath is all but spent. There shall come a time far from now when our Chapter itself is dying, even as I am now dying, and our foes shall gather to destroy us. Then my children, I shall listen for your call in whatever realm of death holds me, and come I shall, no matter what the laws of life and death forbid. At the end I will be there. For the final battle. For the Wolftime.

~ Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves

+++

Do not ask which creature screams in the night.
Do not ask who crouches in the shadow.
For it is my voice that wakes you in the night
And me who watches you from the shadow.
I am Tzeentch and you are the puppet
That dances to my tune.

~ Karazantor, Traitor of Xian

+++

Another day nearer the battle
So drink up, lads and look brave.
For another day nearer the battle
Is another day nearer the grave.

~ Imperial Guard drinking song

+++

We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way.

~ Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus, Tarsis Ultra

+++

Only the insane have the strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

~ Anon.

+++

Despair all ye nations, deny not that we’re sick,
For our blood is like water where once it was thick.
And our minds have grown leaden, our bodies gone weak,
And venom pours from our lips whenever we speak.

Despair all ye nations, for the time draws apace,
When the rot of the cynic shall steal our good grace,
And our sweetest of dreams shall fade to lost hope,
Our pride and our arrogance; our noose and our rope.

Despair all ye nations, see the years drawing on,
Our great cultures are fading and soon they’ll be gone.
So conceited our scholars, they jeer through their teeth,
With their theories so shallow – quite soulless beneath.

Despair all ye nations, for the ending is near,
When the Lord of Lost Heart shall govern us with fear.
Our weakness unfetters as we face this unknown,
And our faith trails to nothing. We stand here alone.

Despair all ye nations, the Corrupter has come,
And the sad days of this world are nearing their sum.
For the shining ideals through endeavours we sought,
Grow sour as he passes and are coming to nought.

Despair all ye nations, there’s no hope for us now,
For we made this monster, placed a crown on his brow.
He fed on our apathy; our pain made him swell,
We gave him Dominion, he gives us his Hell.

~ the Song of Desolation by Valentin Romanus.

+++

"Get up, Konrad Curze, I have come to take you home."

"That is not my name, Father. I am Night Haunter and I know full well what you intend for me."

Gu Long: Ancient Dragon
23-06-2010, 14:01
My Personal Fave is from the DA afaik. Tho it may be older my mems of RT/2E are a bit hazy having been a tad young at tht point.

A Moment of Laxity spawns a Lifetime of Herasy. Never Forget, Never Forgive

Just seems to ring true for me :)

Gu

Born Again
23-06-2010, 15:27
Seen as most of my favourites have already been said (the Tyrant of Badab's ones, the Emperor's bit on the Space Marines, etc... all those suitably epic ones) here's a few more I've always liked:

"Give me but a thousand men who are crazy enough to want to conquer hell, and we will conquer hell!" -- Warmaster Solon.

Can't remember who this is from, it's in the BFG rulebook as the first standing order of a newly promoted captain:

"Every man will be required to work his fingers to the bone to accomplish the task in hand. And if that proves insufficient, he shall work them to the marrow!"

Kallas
23-06-2010, 16:23
Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov;
"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."

Definately a defining quote for an Inquisitor's bad mood...

Also my favorite ever quote, and from Lord Varlak;
"Curses! Just when you've finally managed to bring the whole world under your evil influence some pathetic little Inquisitor goes whining off to the Adeptus Terra about rogue psykers and daemonic possession. I mean, do I look possessed? Well, do I? DO I???"

JackCrow
23-06-2010, 20:20
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Quotes_Ecclesiarchy

Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.
+++ unknown Priest of the Ecclesiarchy +++

We serve the Emperor with our faith and devotion, and with faith there must also sometimes come sacrifice.
+++ Adepta Sororitas +++

Unfortunately, duty and fear often follow the same path. We must follow the one, and conquer the other.
+++ Ephrael Stern +++ 2

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Quotes_Space_Marines

"Knowledge is power. Guard it well."
+++ Motto of the Blood Ravens chapter +++

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear.
+++ The Emperor of Mankind, on the Creation of the Space Marines +++

The warrior who acts out of honour cannot fail. His duty is honour itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear.
+++ Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines +++

What is your life?
My honour is my life.
What is your fate?
My duty is my fate.
What is your fear?
My fear is to fail.
What is your reward?
My salvation is my reward.
What is your craft?
My craft is death.
What is your pledge?
My pledge is eternal service
+++ Space Marine pledge +++

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Inquisition_Quotes

You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word.
+++ Inquisitor Malden For the Emperor (Novel) +++

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Quotes_Imperial_Guard

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.
— Commissar Groden Bevro

If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the firing line.
— Commissar Anton Gebbet, 1st Kronus Regiment +++

Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?
— Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt +++

"Pain is temporary, Honour is forever"

"As the Emperor protects, so must we."

"Hold Fast!"

"They're killing us!" "So kill them back!"
- Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper

I have a reputation, Modile, a reputation as a fair, honest man who treats his soldiers well and supports them in the face of darkness. Potentially, that reputation makes me soft. It seems I understand failure and forgive it. Some, like Kowle, believe me to be a weak commissar, not prepared to take the action my rank demands. Not prepared to enforce field discipline where I see it failing. I am an Imperial commissar. I will enflame the weak, support the wavering, guide the lost. I will be all things to all men who need me. But I will also punish without hesitation the weak, the incompetent, and the treasonous.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Quotes_Imperium

Walk softly and carry a big Multi-melta.
Unattributed

“If the road is easy, the destination is worthless.”
—Saint Sabbat, proverbs

That which was will be. That which dieth will live. That which falleth will rise up. This, I say to you, is the nature of things. If you but once believe.
--Saint Sabbat, Epistles

flota
24-06-2010, 18:06
I give men dreams and men are led by their dreams.
— Lord Commander Solar Macharius

"I am the Hammer. I am the sword in His hand. I am the Gauntlet about His fist. I am the Bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous. I am the End." - Grey Knights

canucklhead
24-06-2010, 18:49
Innocence proves nothing.

"Da Sergeant Major asked me what my job was an' I said it was to, uh, do what I was told. He said I was a genius and gave me another medal. I likes da Imperial Guard!"

-Nork Deddog, Ogryn Bodyguard

Poti'tius
25-06-2010, 13:07
the greater good comes from the end of my bolter, Alien!

(DoW)

flota
25-06-2010, 13:13
Without the Dark, there can be no Light,
We have purpose
Without the Lie, there can be no Truth,
We have purpose
Without the War, there can be no Victory,
We have purpose
Without the Death, there can be no sacrifice,
We have purpose
Without the Hope there can be no Future,
We have purpose
Without the Loyalty there can be no one chapter,
We have purpose
Without the Emperor, there is nothing,...
And we would have no purpose..

Horus_Lupercal
25-06-2010, 21:21
This is what we were born for! Deny the archenemy of mankind! Deny him!
Captain soric tanith first and only

HK-47
25-06-2010, 22:11
"Children you call them? They can pull a trigger just as well as veterans, and they have the spirit of a bull narthax. Call them children if you wish - I call them troops." Colonel Marus Cullen, Pannonia 5th Infantry Regiment on Whiteshields, Warhammer 40,000 Compendium p. 41.

"I have at my command an entire battle group of the Imperial Guard. Fifty regiments, including specialized drop troops, stealthers, mechanized formations, armored companies, combat engineers and mobile artillery. Over half a million fighting men and thirty thousand tanks and artillery pieces are mine to command. Emperor show mercy to the fool that stands against me, for I shall not." Warmaster Demetrius, at the outset of the Salonika Crusade, 733.M38.

"One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."
Stalin said this one but I think it fits perfectly with the guard.

Captain Stern
26-06-2010, 12:59
Loyalists get the best quotes. ;)

Three Legions of Marines stand to defend you, sire. All of us will unflinchingly place ourselves between you and the war’s desolation. We are the greatest humans ever born – we are the flame of Humanity where the rest of the galaxy is just the spark. In centuries of warfare, against the vileness of the alien, the lies of the heretic, the foulness of the mutant, I have never known fear – but your silence terrifies me.

Dear, oh dear, what is that from? 40k quotes have steadily become more and more embaressing over the years but this is the worst one yet.

Lupe
26-06-2010, 13:11
They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give themselves to me.
Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of war I shall forge them.
They will be of iron will and steely muscle.

In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest weaponry shall they be armed.
They will be untouched by plague and disease; no sickness will blight them.

They will have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe shall best them in battle.

They are my bulwark against the Terror.
They are the defenders of Humanity.
They are my Space Marines, and they shall know no fear

Quite... this is what makes me keep reading all the retarded Space Marine fluff for so long...

Poti'tius
27-06-2010, 11:59
my favorite qoutes are Famous last words:

"wos da big red button?"
"Eliphas you traitorus dog!"
"ha! those ignorant xenos are pointing laserlights at us!" first meeting of Tau by space marines.
"what could possibly go wrong?"
"this is the perfect place for an ambush"

FabricatorGeneralMike
27-06-2010, 17:27
Famous last words...

"Well Horus is the Warmaster now, i'm going back to Terra to work on some stuff in my dungion that im not going to tell anyone about. What could possibly go wrong..?" ;)

Poti'tius
28-06-2010, 10:32
I know some more:
"we just made it into the bunker, undead hands ar krawling from every opening, the Rick started to cough" about the undead horde (apocaliptic form)
"Raise the shields! Raise the shields!
before that thing comes ba.."

Lupe
09-07-2010, 05:19
Just stumbled across this little quote...

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

— Justicar Alaric

Sildani
09-07-2010, 12:33
I just remembered this one, from Abnett's Double Eagle:

"We had planes. We flew them. They had planes. They flew them. There was some shooting involved. All that mattered, really, was who was still flying at the end of it."
-Augustus Kaminsky, describing an epic two-day air war against the Blood Pact.

ChaplainOrion
10-07-2010, 04:34
"inspiration grows from the barrel of a gun"
(with a picture of a commissar sumarily excecuting a fleeing guardsman)

Mao Zedong siad thait but it was political power instead of inspiration.

favorite quote

Burn the heretic
Kill the mutant
Purge the unclean[

There will be times when a officer will find the limitless hosts of the enemies of man arrayed against him, when all hopes for victory fade away to leave them confronted with the bitter truth of their own mortality. Perhaps it could have been avoided, but perhaps not, know that this galaxy despises man and his works, and in such a dark place and dark time, the only victory possible is over one's own despair. The commander must reach deep into his own soul, and the souls of his men, and find the most terrible and potent weapon in his arsenal - devotion to the Emperor, defiance unto death, face the enemy in their multitude with fire in your heart and a prayer on your lips! Your deaths are your own, and thus do you deny the enemy his victory.

-- The Tactica Imperialis

808thMyrmidons
12-07-2010, 09:19
Just stumbled across this little quote...

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy - the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial -carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

— Justicar Alaric
wheres it from?

Lupe
12-07-2010, 22:27
Gray Knights omnibus