PDA

View Full Version : Infantry Models

warriorpoet1
15-06-2010, 10:39
Hey Guys,

I've been thinking about starting WotR for a few weeks now, especially now post-price increase. But I have a small question regarding infantry models.

I saw a pic of the plastic Corsairs Sprue, and I was slightly surprised when i noticed that they were all a single cast figure, with little to no oppertunity to pose them how you want. I can understand why GW would do this, it being the LotRs franchise and all.
So I was just curious, is this the same with most of the plastic infantry that you get in the boxes of 24? Or do some of the other races have models that you actually assemble like in 40K and Fantasy?
I ask only because im big on the modelling and painting side of things. It probarly wont make a difference to whether I start WotR, but its just something I'd like to know beforehand.
Thanks

- V -
15-06-2010, 11:29
They are not at all like the sets in fantasy or 40k. Much more, glue model to base, glue on weapon or shield, done! However the newer sets seem to becoming a bit more like the two others, with weapon options, and command option included in the box.

Sedge
15-06-2010, 13:33
The single pose figures were a bit strange for me also. It does mean that they are cheaper with more in the box as well as being a lot quicker.

One major difference between WotR units and WFB is the movement trays. Go to town on them, use your modelling skill on making the trays and bases look good and they will look fantastic.

Xarius
15-06-2010, 19:35
lotr was designed basically for kids but the models are nice and smple and I like that

ashc
15-06-2010, 20:11
lotr was designed basically for kids but the models are nice and smple and I like that

Poppycock. The sculpting for one thing is far more mature than the big-hands-fat-face cartoon approach of the other two core games, and just that for me makes LOTR look far more mature a game.

Just because the game is more streamlined does not mean it was 'designed for kids'. It was designed for fans of the LOTR films.

Khamul
15-06-2010, 21:36
Quite handy having the two piece miniatures for a quick assembly... And if you want variety, out with the Stanley knife and conversions away!!!!

warriorpoet1
16-06-2010, 04:57
Quite handy having the two piece miniatures for a quick assembly... And if you want variety, out with the Stanley knife and conversions away!!!!

Yeah I actually thought I might do that at some point hahaha.

I agree that LotR is not aimed for kids, but it is more of a game aimed for those just getting into wargaming, who would then move onto the other GW games. Of course for me, its the reverse haha.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
16-06-2010, 10:40
It's quite simple to convert lotr minis, just do some weapon swaps and your done. Although I wish the kits where more like wfb kits...

ashc
16-06-2010, 11:14
25 for 10 models you mean?

:p

IllidanStormrage
16-06-2010, 16:41
i prefer them already built just gluing them on the base is fine for me, the only people i would want to pose are the heroes.

captain krak
16-06-2010, 23:06
After putting together space marines, I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the fast to put together plastic models for LOTR. The Galadhrim had the most separate parts of any of the models I've built for LOTR, and that was still pretty quick and easy.

destroyerlord
16-06-2010, 23:37
The newest kits (Galadhrim, swan knights and morgul knights) all have separate heads IIRC, along with weapons/shields like other kits. That it as far as number of parts goes. Still, the number of poses in a box gives you pretty good variety even before you get out the knife and start swapping arms around.

Whitwort Stormbringer
17-06-2010, 23:40
As others have pointed out, simple conversions like weapon swaps are quite easy to pull off with LotR minis. If you're feeling motivated, you can do more extensive conversions too, though.

Take a box of Mordor orcs, for instance. You have 2 sprues of 12 figures each - it's easy to do a head swap here, arm swap there, and end up with 24 unique figures (this is what I've done). Some kits, like warriors of Minas Tirith or goblins, aren't quite so versatile in their conversion possibilities (at least in terms of ease of conversion from parts in the box), but for the most part you can get as creative as you like.