PDA

View Full Version : Addiction

eyescrossed
15-06-2010, 11:42
I have a problem. I will go out, buy an army, build -most- of the stuff, play a few games with it, then start another army. I currently have (in 40k) Tyranids, Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Daemons and Necrons. None of them completed and not even half an army painted.

Now, I have promised myself and my friends not to buy any more armies.

Aside from things like homework getting in the way, how could I help myself finish building and painting the armies? Any tips, people?

Artinam
15-06-2010, 11:47
Don't buy a lot of stuff at once, use the box by box approach. By a small box and paint it, then after you painted it buy another one. This will take a while but prevents the depression one gets from watching the amount of painting one has to do. Another idea if you already have a lot of stuff. Put all your unpainted model away out of sight (I have a big wooden chest) and get one unit from it and paint it.

Semi-works for me if I didn't have so much school work.

qsd
15-06-2010, 11:58
Pick one army to work on, set aside the others, then complete one unit at a time before you move on to the next one.

You could also try starting a log; many people find those to be good motivation since it encourages you to make regular updates.

eyescrossed
15-06-2010, 12:07
Don't buy a lot of stuff at once, use the box by box approach. By a small box and paint it, then after you painted it buy another one. This will take a while but prevents the depression one gets from watching the amount of painting one has to do. Another idea if you already have a lot of stuff. Put all your unpainted model away out of sight (I have a big wooden chest) and get one unit from it and paint it.

Semi-works for me if I didn't have so much school work.
Good idea. I'll try putting all of my unpainted minis but a squad in my cupboards and just plod away at them, one by one.

Same here... I'll probably start after exams.

Pick one army to work on, set aside the others, then complete one unit at a time before you move on to the next one.

You could also try starting a log; many people find those to be good motivation since it encourages you to make regular updates.
Yeah. That seems like it'd work.

Oh, I would, it's just the insane amount of school work I have :cries:

DaSpaceAsians
15-06-2010, 12:15
If you're lucky, you could do like I did: built your army as part of a school project.

Hunger
15-06-2010, 12:56
Don't buy a lot of stuff at once, use the box by box approach. By a small box and paint it, then after you painted it buy another one.

Yep, this is the way.

The problem is that if you don't exercise discipline and paint what you have before buying more, you very quickly end up with a month or more's work ahead of you, which is daunting.

When painting your models becomes a chore you start thinking along the lines of "I know, I'll shelve this army for a while and start another one, then I'll come back to this one when I feel more like painting it."

Trouble is that you then do the same with that army, which leads to a third. You end up with 1500 points of unpainted stuff from several different armies, that, if you're honest, you didn't really intend to buy.

Discipline is the key - paint what you have, force yourself not to buy anything else. And when you come to make your next purchase, don't think "Now I have twice as much money to spend - I'll get twice as much stuff" because you'll fall into the same trap.

Buy only what you can feasibly paint in the next fortnight, and don't overestimate, then buy your girlfriend some flowers and save whatever's left - the flowers will help mitigate nagging from the missus, and that bit you put aside each month will help you afford the Forgeworld Baneblade/Daemon/Titan you've been dreaming of.

chromedog
15-06-2010, 13:12
Sounds like a discipline problem.

Like a lack of it.

The only discipline that counts for jack is SELF DISCIPLINE. You don't have that, you got nothing.

Focus. Be like the eldar with their 'paths'. Do some research. Why do you want to play this army? Is it just because of the rules, or the pretty models?

I play eldar because they were my first army (started in '88 with them) and Marines (vanilla loyalist) because the spiky ones don't thrill me - either in models, rules or fluff.
I play DH/GK because I like the models and I can borrow half of my IG army to fill spots out.
I play IG because I like tanks (but not GWs ones. I've never liked the Leman Russ or chimera).

I don't play spiky SM because evil for its own sake is just so lame, same with spiky elves. Bugs are just an ick thing. Space Vampires, space vikings, space poets with a secret and crusading space kiniggits likewise.

eyescrossed
15-06-2010, 13:16
If you're lucky, you could do like I did: built your army as part of a school project.
I envy you more than humanly possible...

Yep, this is the way.

The problem is that if you don't exercise discipline and paint what you have before buying more, you very quickly end up with a month or more's work ahead of you, which is daunting.

When painting your models becomes a chore you start thinking along the lines of "I know, I'll shelve this army for a while and start another one, then I'll come back to this one when I feel more like painting it."

Trouble is that you then do the same with that army, which leads to a third. You end up with 1500 points of unpainted stuff from several different armies, that, if you're honest, you didn't really intend to buy.

Discipline is the key - paint what you have, force yourself not to buy anything else. And when you come to make your next purchase, don't think "Now I have twice as much money to spend - I'll get twice as much stuff" because you'll fall into the same trap.

Buy only what you can feasibly paint in the next fortnight, and don't overestimate, then buy your girlfriend some flowers and save whatever's left - the flowers will help mitigate nagging from the missus, and that bit you put aside each month will help you afford the Forgeworld Baneblade/Daemon/Titan you've been dreaming of.
Wow. If age = wisdom, you must be bloody old.

(that's a compliment :D)

Sounds like a discipline problem.

Like a lack of it.

The only discipline that counts for jack is SELF DISCIPLINE. You don't have that, you got nothing.

Focus. Be like the eldar with their 'paths'. Do some research. Why do you want to play this army? Is it just because of the rules, or the pretty models?

I play eldar because they were my first army (started in '88 with them) and Marines (vanilla loyalist) because the spiky ones don't thrill me - either in models, rules or fluff.
I play DH/GK because I like the models and I can borrow half of my IG army to fill spots out.
I play IG because I like tanks (but not GWs ones. I've never liked the Leman Russ or chimera).

I don't play spiky SM because evil for its own sake is just so lame, same with spiky elves. Bugs are just an ick thing. Space Vampires, space vikings, space poets with a secret and crusading space kiniggits likewise.
Fair enough. Time to live like a Space Elf :evilgrin:

MajorWesJanson
15-06-2010, 14:22
Progressive tournaments or campaigns are a good way to push yourself to get things built and painted, as you can do it in blocks at a time.

Once you hit critical mass on painted models, roughly over half of your usual size army, then you start to get more invested in painting to make the unpainted ones match the finished ones. And when you add models, they become the odd ones out, as the rest will be shiny, and the new ones grey or silver or yellowish-grey.

PreacherBoyRoy
15-06-2010, 14:38
Simple paint scheme.

i was having a very hard time painting my necron army. i was trying to put alot of detail into my army because i have alot respect for the people who do that. sadly i am not a fast/good painter by any strech, so i changed schemes. i started striping a couple days ago, and now i have more than half of them painted. its not a huge step but it has gotten me excited about painting them again.

i think i was averaging 1 modal every 2min.

TeDasCuen
15-06-2010, 15:57
Hi eyescrossed, you aren't alone.

When I have read your post I feel like seeing me on a mirror. I suffer the same "syndrome". :cries:

Often I want to go to GW shop and buy a whole new army starting from 0, while at home the last boxes purchased they wait gathering dust. :cries:

I thank to you by start this thread and everybody for your advices. :)

...use the box by box approach. By a small box and paint it, then after you painted it buy another one...

This advice is the key! To safeguard against from "massive buy depression syndrome", use "box by box approach" pills! ;)

Thanks!

MystheDevourer
15-06-2010, 16:07
I am in the same situation. . . 8000 points of Tyranids as my first army. . . 3000 points of Blood Angles Codex (Chapter named Blood Falcons) and I am planing on starting IG next year after deployment.

I have found that getting a Spray Gun lots of paing and doing the base coat for all like models helps because then you have your base coat and possibly your first coat of paint (At least that is how it is for my army. . . )

Hunger
15-06-2010, 16:11
Wow. If age = wisdom, you must be bloody old.

Nope, just 26, but I've been where Eyescrossed is, as I'm sure many others have. Nothing makes you paint slow like a massive backlog.

That said, I've broken my own cardinal rule this month - I'm currently working through 140 FW Chaos Renegades.

However, to avoid becoming bogged down in my current army I have chosen a

Simple paint scheme.

I spray 'em green in batches of 20, then using a standard-size brush I block paint red for the shoulderpads and weapon casing, boltgun metal for the metal bits, black boots and gloves and then wash the whole thing with ogryn flesh - no highlighting whatsoever. Spot the eyelenses in their hoods with thraka green, graveyard earth on the base, followed by a dunking in some grit and they're done - and they look great on the tabletop. Keeping it simple means if I get bored while painting one squad I know that it won't be long before I have something different to paint when they're done.

Erwos
15-06-2010, 16:50
I agree with the crowd that self-discipline is the key here.

Personally, I will not use unpainted miniatures when playing, I do WYISWYG as much as humanly possible, and I try to keep the backlog under 20-30. Sometimes that's impossible (eg, buying lots off eBay), but it keeps me motivated enough to get through.

I also don't buy new armies until I have a full FOC of whichever one I'm working on. This has the dual effect of keeping me away from the new hotness, and making me understand what a huge commitment a new army is.

eyescrossed
16-06-2010, 02:01
Progressive tournaments or campaigns are a good way to push yourself to get things built and painted, as you can do it in blocks at a time.

Once you hit critical mass on painted models, roughly over half of your usual size army, then you start to get more invested in painting to make the unpainted ones match the finished ones. And when you add models, they become the odd ones out, as the rest will be shiny, and the new ones grey or silver or yellowish-grey.
Oh, good advice. I might start playing campaigns with my friends, then - even organise a tournament.

Simple paint scheme.

i was having a very hard time painting my necron army. i was trying to put alot of detail into my army because i have alot respect for the people who do that. sadly i am not a fast/good painter by any strech, so i changed schemes. i started striping a couple days ago, and now i have more than half of them painted. its not a huge step but it has gotten me excited about painting them again.

i think i was averaging 1 modal every 2min.
Wow. How did I not think of this? Even if I think they need some work, I can do them simple and come back to them another time if I want! Thanks for the advice!

When I have read your post I feel like seeing me on a mirror. I suffer the same "syndrome". :cries:

Often I want to go to GW shop and buy a whole new army starting from 0, while at home the last boxes purchased they wait gathering dust. :cries:

This advice is the key! To safeguard against from "massive buy depression syndrome", use "box by box approach" pills! ;)

Thanks!
Yeah, it's horrible :cries:

But yeah, I think with some self discipline and not going overboard with buying stuff, we can get our armies painted in no time.

I am in the same situation. . . 8000 points of Tyranids as my first army. . . 3000 points of Blood Angles Codex (Chapter named Blood Falcons) and I am planing on starting IG next year after deployment.

I have found that getting a Spray Gun lots of paing and doing the base coat for all like models helps because then you have your base coat and possibly your first coat of paint (At least that is how it is for my army. . . )
Spraygun! Of course! I'm going to get one as soon as I can.

Nope, just 26, but I've been where Eyescrossed is, as I'm sure many others have. Nothing makes you paint slow like a massive backlog.

That said, I've broken my own cardinal rule this month - I'm currently working through 140 FW Chaos Renegades.

However, to avoid becoming bogged down in my current army I have chosen a

I spray 'em green in batches of 20, then using a standard-size brush I block paint red for the shoulderpads and weapon casing, boltgun metal for the metal bits, black boots and gloves and then wash the whole thing with ogryn flesh - no highlighting whatsoever. Spot the eyelenses in their hoods with thraka green, graveyard earth on the base, followed by a dunking in some grit and they're done - and they look great on the tabletop. Keeping it simple means if I get bored while painting one squad I know that it won't be long before I have something different to paint when they're done.
Whoa! That's a lot of Renegades! But yeah... I'll try not to fret over detail.

I agree with the crowd that self-discipline is the key here.

Personally, I will not use unpainted miniatures when playing, I do WYISWYG as much as humanly possible, and I try to keep the backlog under 20-30. Sometimes that's impossible (eg, buying lots off eBay), but it keeps me motivated enough to get through.

I also don't buy new armies until I have a full FOC of whichever one I'm working on. This has the dual effect of keeping me away from the new hotness, and making me understand what a huge commitment a new army is.
Another great idea! Mind if I use it?

A big thanks to everyone for their advice :)

OoieGooie
16-06-2010, 03:21
Im the opposite. I have one army yet cant seem to finish one squad! Darn computer games. 8)

wazatdingder
16-06-2010, 03:37
I have a problem. I will go out, buy an army, build -most- of the stuff, play a few games with it, then start another army. I currently have (in 40k) Tyranids, Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Daemons and Necrons. None of them completed and not even half an army painted.

Aside from things like homework getting in the way, how could I help myself finish building and painting the armies? Any tips, people?

Only 5!!!

I mean,:wtf: come on, how many points you got of each? If its less than 5k each you don't have a problem my friend. Your like the dude who has a glass of wine every night and feels the need to go to AA.

Your not an addict until you walk into your FLGS to get a Rhino or three, :eek: "Oh no, they're sold out, you say. I bought them all two days ago. Well I have always liked those Stealth Suits over there, I guess I could start a Tau force."

Two days later-

"Oh good, more Rhinos, I'll take 2 and a Carnifex. I know I don't play Nids, But it would be sweet if I did."

:p Lightweight

252nd Fire Dragoon
16-06-2010, 03:48
Aloha,
Hey Eyecrossed! Stop stalking me.. your describing me :p. I too suffer from not finishing an army. An army plog is helping.. but it's difficult when you have two. Self discipline is the key, and so is hiding the models until your finished with current one haha.

eyescrossed
16-06-2010, 03:51
I have 3000 points of Eldar with less than 1500 points assembled, 3000 points of Nids (probably more in the new Codex), 2850 points of Chaos Space Marines, less than 1k assembled, 2250 points of Daemons with... All of them assembed, actually. Besides the models that all apart. Only one box of Necron Warriors, and they're not even fully assembled.

DuskRaider
16-06-2010, 04:10

It's because you haven't played Orks yet. :p

eyescrossed
16-06-2010, 12:13
It's because you haven't played Orks yet. :p

Don't say that! I was about to buy an Ork armu a few days ago! :eek:

Mini77
16-06-2010, 12:34
I found by sticking to a simple colour scheme and painting one unit at a time my motivation to finish minis has stayed up there. Once I'd realised I had to paint within my limits the disdain at the site of grey plastic faded.

jsullivanlaw
16-06-2010, 21:06
Come up with an armylist you really like, then paint everything in that army list. People tend to want a lot of options in designing a list but if you just painted 1500 points of stuff or whatever then you could have a painted army done pretty quickly. After that stuff is done then paint what you would want to add to the list or make a new list and paint the stuff you want in it. Trust me on this one, it works very well in an overwelming paint situation.

Cry of the Wind
16-06-2010, 22:37
I have several armies all on the go right now. They have been like that for several years now. All I can say is listen to the others here, its all about self discipline. I found waiting 2 weeks (as a minimum) after deciding you want something before acutally buying it helps a lot. That way you are really sure about the decision and are less likely to regret it.

Never preorder anything since that is the worst way to impulse buy as the models will arrive after your desire has probably already faded.

What I find funny about my spending is that over the years the more money I have been making or just had in the bank the less I acutally bought GW stuff. Right now I have only purchased the BA codex and IA Vol 8 this year. Some Tauros scouts will be added to that soon but I still need to be sure I really want 4 of them and not just 1 or 2...

The Orange
16-06-2010, 23:51
My solution was simply to go cold turkey. I love visiting the ol'hobby shop but every time I'm in there eyeballing my next purchase I simply remind my self that "I WILL NOT BUY MORE" (until I've finished up what I've got stacked up at home). You just got to remind yourself when your on the cusp of grabbing something new that you've (probably) got plenty of cool models sitting in the closet itching to be finished.

eyescrossed
17-06-2010, 02:55
I found by sticking to a simple colour scheme and painting one unit at a time my motivation to finish minis has stayed up there. Once I'd realised I had to paint within my limits the disdain at the site of grey plastic faded.
Well, I plan to do this because of various peoples' advice :)

Come up with an armylist you really like, then paint everything in that army list. People tend to want a lot of options in designing a list but if you just painted 1500 points of stuff or whatever then you could have a painted army done pretty quickly. After rat stuff is done then paint what you would want to add to the list or make a new list and paint the stuff you want in it. Trust me on this one, it works very well in an overwelming paint situation.
That... Doesn't really work for me, since my armies aren't full of different options. Just one set army then extras for Apocalypse.

I have several armies all on the go right now. They have been like that for several years now. All I can say is listen to the others here, its all about self discipline. I found waiting 2 weeks (as a minimum) after deciding you want something before acutally buying it helps a lot. That way you are really sure about the decision and are less likely to regret it.

Never preorder anything since that is the worst way to impulse buy as the models will arrive after your desire has probably already faded.

What I find funny about my spending is that over the years the more money I have been making or just had in the bank the less I acutally bought GW stuff. Right now I have only purchased the BA codex and IA Vol 8 this year. Some Tauros scouts will be added to that soon but I still need to be sure I really want 4 of them and not just 1 or 2...
Good ideas.

Wait, really? Maybe I should get more money, then :D

My solution was simply to go cold turkey. I love visiting the ol'hobby shop but every time I'm in there eyeballing my next purchase I simply remind my self that "I WILL NOT BUY MORE" (until I've finished up what I've got stacked up at home). You just got to remind yourself when your on the cusp of grabbing something new that you've (probably) got plenty of cool models sitting in the closet itching to be finished.
Hahaha, I'll try that :)

spaint2k
17-06-2010, 04:14
Oh, I would, it's just the insane amount of school work I have :cries:

Just wait till you've left school. It doesn't get better.

A month? Ha! Try "several decades"...

eyescrossed
17-06-2010, 07:04
It does if you're unemployed XD

Same here :(

Hunger
17-06-2010, 10:26

A month is a big enough backlog for me - I tend to get buried easily. If I had more than a year's worth of stuff to work on, it would be as good as having several decades', so I'd probably end up selling much of it.

sigur
17-06-2010, 10:32
There is lots of thread about this very same topic in M,P&T. Just search for "motivation" over there. Apart from that: Stop buying, get a grip on yourself. Acknowledge that more than two or three armies is a number that makes no sense any more, join the WSPSG, GET STUFF DONE.

eyescrossed
17-06-2010, 10:59
There is lots of thread about this very same topic in M,P&T. Just search for "motivation" over there. Apart from that: Stop buying, get a grip on yourself. Acknowledge that more than two or three armies is a number that makes no sense any more, join the WSPSG, GET STUFF DONE.
Will do. I'm actually planning to start painting and building next week, when exams are over.

sigur
17-06-2010, 12:00
Will do. I'm actually planning to start painting and building next week, when exams are over.

Cool, best of luck with both (exams and building/painting).

eyescrossed
17-06-2010, 12:40
Cool, best of luck with both (exams and building/painting).

Thank you :)

Tokugawa100
18-06-2010, 00:48

Thanks!

I have the same issue and in the end I just stopped.:(

I have 5 WH40K armies and 3 WHFB armies and most of them I bought all in the one day.
I go into my local store and because its so far away I prefer to get as much as possible rather then box by box, this way it will save me driving up again.

"At least for a while".

Then I get my models home and Im too excited to do it one by one so i just do them all at the same time. Mind you all of my armies are painted, some better then others.

My issue is that Im bored with the army within a week and am looking for a new army. This is why I have stopped and now only buy the codex's and army books.

Plus having to travel so far to play a game when all my gaming friends in the area have moved away kinda sucks.:cries:

Abbo
18-06-2010, 01:05
I have far too much experience with this problem, I stopped my pre heresy night lords because i brought too many marines and my apocalypse sized imperial guard army (5000 pts) has one painted model, a Baneblade, I must learn to limit my stuff lol

Scribe of Khorne
18-06-2010, 03:24
One model at a time, just put every army away, or sell them, other then one. Then paint one model at a time, it works, but it takes awhile. :p

dblaz3r
18-06-2010, 03:28

That's exactly what I had to do, my year has been so hectic. Thankfully today is the last day of my degree and I can finally get back into the swing of things. I probably should get back to coding up my final Java assignment instead of browsing around here. :D

spaint2k
18-06-2010, 04:20
That's exactly what I had to do, my year has been so hectic. Thankfully today is the last day of my degree and I can finally get back into the swing of things. I probably should get back to coding up my final Java assignment instead of browsing around here. :D

Ah, my original sentence wasn't advice; it was a warning. I meant that you don't become less busy once your schooling is over. Life has a way of eating up all your free time. It's actually harder now to find the time to sit down and paint than it ever was when I was a full-time student.

dblaz3r
18-06-2010, 08:22
Whoops, read that one wrong. I'll put that down to being over worked.

Giganthrax
18-06-2010, 09:51
I have a problem. I will go out, buy an army, build -most- of the stuff, play a few games with it, then start another army.
Your problem is that you have too much money, and too few things to spend it on. ;)

Now, I dunno how to solve this problem for you (except trying to convince you to start sending money to me rather then spending it on extra armies, but you're prolly not THAT generous, are you?), but I can tell you one thing: when you have to plan your every purchase due to a general lack of disposable cash, buying miniatures and expanding on your army becomes a MUCH more enjoyable practice, simply because you value each miniature more and you don't make purchases often.

Due to circumstances, I've slowed down a lot on my army purchasing. In the past 5 months I haven't bought a single miniature (though I did get some paints, greenstuff, and brushes), but I've painted a whole lot of miniatures I've had sitting unpainted for a long time. Now, when I do buy some new stuff, I will be assembling it and painting it rather fast. This way, I keep my army fully painted most of the time, which is a huge reward on its own.

sigur
18-06-2010, 11:28
It is bad to buy more than 400pts of stuff at once. Remember this, youngsters. If you have too much money, save it or buy one of them video cameras and become a youtube-star. By the way, how come people are actuall...oh wait, no grumpy comments today. :shifty:

eyescrossed
18-06-2010, 11:53
Your problem is that you have too much money, and too few things to spend it on. ;)

Now, I dunno how to solve this problem for you (except trying to convince you to start sending money to me rather then spending it on extra armies, but you're prolly not THAT generous, are you?), but I can tell you one thing: when you have to plan your every purchase due to a general lack of disposable cash, buying miniatures and expanding on your army becomes a MUCH more enjoyable practice, simply because you value each miniature more and you don't make purchases often.

Due to circumstances, I've slowed down a lot on my army purchasing. In the past 5 months I haven't bought a single miniature (though I did get some paints, greenstuff, and brushes), but I've painted a whole lot of miniatures I've had sitting unpainted for a long time. Now, when I do buy some new stuff, I will be assembling it and painting it rather fast. This way, I keep my army fully painted most of the time, which is a huge reward on its own.
It's not that I have lots of money, just that I bulk buy when I DO get money, such as birthdays/Christmas.

It is bad to buy more than 400pts of stuff at once. Remember this, youngsters. If you have too much money, save it or buy one of them video cameras and become a youtube-star. By the way, how come people are actuall...oh wait, no grumpy comments today. :shifty:
Unless it's the Deceiver and a Necron Lord :p

Sorry to the others who I didn't reply to - simply too many comments mixed with not much internet time and general laziness.

PapaDoc
19-06-2010, 01:03
I have a similar problem. It is a bit different. I love painting models but I *********** can't stand to paint an army.

What works for me is: register & play at tournaments. Pick the army you want to paint and send your army list in advance. Also make sure the paying fee is high enough so that you loose a lot of money by not going there. If it is a serious tournament they can flatly deny you to play if you have unpainted minis. Best case the organisers take them off the table. Tell all your gamer-friends in advance you are going to the tournament. Only when the stakes are super high and failure is no option, only then can I paint an army.

eyescrossed
19-06-2010, 05:08
I have a similar problem. It is a bit different. I love painting models but I *********** can't stand to paint an army.

What works for me is: register & play at tournaments. Pick the army you want to paint and send your army list in advance. Also make sure the paying fee is high enough so that you loose a lot of money by not going there. If it is a serious tournament they can flatly deny you to play if you have unpainted minis. Best case the organisers take them off the table. Tell all your gamer-friends in advance you are going to the tournament. Only when the stakes are super high and failure is no option, only then can I paint an army.

If there were tournaments around here I'd do just that :cries: