PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Gamer's Edition - Ripoff?

Lordmonkey
15-06-2010, 13:58
Lo,

Forgive me if i've missed something, but I think i've just made a giant mistake in my frenzied, blind, pre-order fever...

Warhammer Gamer's Edition (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491876&prodId=prod810017a) contains:

Template Set (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod800016a) - £5
Counter Set (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod800017a) - £8
Dice (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491876&prodId=prod800018a) - £7
Book (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300172&prodId=prod800009a) - £45 (Cheaper if bought from some other distributors).

So thats £65 worth of stuff plus a bag for £75. So, have I just shelled out upwards of £10 for a bag? :(

*edit* P&P was free as i'm picking it up from a GW store, but still...

dragonet111
15-06-2010, 14:18
I hope for you the bag quality is good:D. I check in € and it's 11€ for the bag.

Leogun_91
15-06-2010, 14:19
That´s not estremely expensive for a bag and the Coins/Buttons are a nice touch. Bags specifically designed to carry a certain thing are often more expensive (I don't think the bag I bought to carry my laptop was cheaper then that).

szlachcic
15-06-2010, 14:21
I have to agree. I was going to purchase the gamer's edition as I like the look of all the new templates and markers, but it seems that it would be better to just buy them separately as I could care less about the bag. I was also interested in getting the engineer's tools, but it appears the compass is plastic which is a big letdown, especially for the $30 pricetag.

Galatan
15-06-2010, 14:38
11 euro's for a bag that is designed to carry your books and counters? Dirt cheap is you ask me.

My laptop casing was at least twice the price and it can only carry my laptop.....

Odin
15-06-2010, 14:41
Lo,

Forgive me if i've missed something, but I think i've just made a giant mistake in my frenzied, blind, pre-order fever...

Warhammer Gamer's Edition (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491876&prodId=prod810017a) contains:

Template Set (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod800016a) - £5
Counter Set (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod800017a) - £8
Dice (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1491876&prodId=prod800018a) - £7
Book (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300172&prodId=prod800009a) - £45 (Cheaper if bought from some other distributors).

So thats £65 worth of stuff plus a bag for £75. So, have I just shelled out upwards of £10 for a bag? :(

Yes, you have.

If you go out taking your rulebook and templates with you it's ok. I don't, so it would be a complete waste of money.

Llew
15-06-2010, 14:45
Bag? You mean "purse"? ;)

Lordmonkey
15-06-2010, 14:54
My laptop casing was at least twice the price and it can only carry my laptop.....

Laptop bag, eh? Not a bad idea... :)

Bag? You mean "purse"? ;)

Yes... yes I do :(

freddieyu
15-06-2010, 15:00
I'm getting the Gamer's set, plus the magic cards....and since I play 40K I can use most of them for 40K too (except the rulebook and the magic cards of course), even the bag.....

Jedi152
15-06-2010, 15:00
Yes, you just paid £10 for the bag.

Galatan
15-06-2010, 15:02
Laptop bag, eh? Not a bad idea... :)

Lol, well I guess you could use your laptop bag/purse/whatever also for carrying you rulebook:rolleyes:. One thing I know for certain, I'm not gonna carry that thing under my arm.

RealMikeBob
15-06-2010, 15:07

Isn't the shipping free to anywhere since it's over a tenner? :shifty:

Artinam
15-06-2010, 15:12
Its a nice thing but as a true blue Bretonnian player I have no interest into something such Empiry. Come back when they ship the book with carrier peasants or a Blessing from the Lady ;).

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 15:26
And this is exactly why GW do these little limited/bundle deals. We get distracted by the shinies and hand over our credit cards...

loveless
15-06-2010, 15:34
Roughly $16.50 for the bag Stateside - which really isn't that bad for a custom bag - it's just a matter of whether or not you want it.

Admittedly, it would be a nice replacement for my Umbrella Corp. bag that I usually use to lug books around in. I really wish the Engineer Measures had come in that set, though.

Tarliyn
15-06-2010, 17:11
see its funny that you complain about the bad because that is why I bought the gamers edition.

Did I need the dice: Meh, Not really, I have so many dice its rediculous.
Did I need the templates: Have some already, thanks though
Did I need counters: Those are nice sure, I do already have the old ones but these look cooler.
Did I need the book: ....Duh
Did I need/want the Bag: Hells Yeah

Now that being said, I think it will be cool to have all that stuff I don't need since I am a nerd but if it wasn't for the bundle I wouldn't have bought it.

I often take my book to my friends house or the game store so having something to carry it in and then still be able to carry my army around easily is going to be great.

If it hadn't come with the bag I would have just got the thing from my local store here. I am glad I preordered it. After looking closer at the engineers tools (also got those) I am not sure if that was the best purchase, but I am hopefully optimistic that they will be cool none the less since I have never picked up a gw products that I have not been happy with.

stashman
15-06-2010, 17:37
It's not a rip-off! You decide if you wan't to buy it or not. People who wan'ts the "bag" will gladly buy it.

King_Pash
15-06-2010, 17:41
I didn't think the bag was that impressive. I think it's just a canvas bag with some special buttons on it. I suspect it may be quite flimsy once you actually get it and be honest, are you actually going to wear that thing out?! No thanks, i'll be getting the templates and magic cards only alongside my book.

Tarliyn
15-06-2010, 17:46
why would I not wear it out. I already look duffy enough carrying my case or my tackle box around, why not complete the ensemble, lmao.

jullevi
15-06-2010, 17:51
I was going to buy Gamer's Edition until I realised that I would pay 13€ for a bag that I don't want and get no discount on templates and counters that I don't need (I can pick them up separately later if I change my mind).

I decided to skip the templates and counters and put the money saved on Citizens of Empire. Ended up buying standard rulebook, Skull Dice, Battle Magic Cards and all Citizens of Empire (as Empire is my main army and it is not possible to have too much useless miniatures).

twistinthunder
15-06-2010, 17:58
I only just realised that the magic cards don't come with it *headdesk* oh well it's a nice bag and I probably will use everything in it since I'm starting fantasy (or rather feel like I'm starting fantasy cause I don't think i ever remembered to play it when i actually started it)

also skull dice = limited edition item (not that it matters though)

Bellygrub
15-06-2010, 18:20
Lo,

So, have I just shelled out upwards of £10 for a bag? :(

You'll likely be able to sell the bag for twice that on eBay if it's that much of a bother. ;)

Sykorax
15-06-2010, 18:23
$17.75 for the bag here in Canada. Not too bad but it looks very flimsy and I don't really see why people are comparing it to a laptop bag. I can't see this thing providing any protection to the stuff it's holding inside and just looks like a sheet of cloth with buttons

decker_cky
15-06-2010, 18:31
Yeah....doesn't look like much more substancial than a reusable grocery bag, only with a unique shape and buttons. If there were options for logos, I'd definitely consider it, but even for empire players, no everyone would want the Karl Franz emblem. The 40k gamers edition was MUCH better with the metal ammo case.

Lordmonkey
15-06-2010, 18:41
Tell you what, when I pick it up on release day i'll see if I can wear it as an impressive hat. Otherwise it's going on eBay :D

King_Pash
15-06-2010, 18:47
Tell you what, when I pick it up on release day i'll see if I can wear it as an impressive hat. Otherwise it's going on eBay :D

Your's and the rest of the 2999 that were bought :P

Malorian
15-06-2010, 18:52
The bag is a waste, most of the markers aren't needed, and the ones thata re useful I have ones for already.

No thanks! I'll just buy the book.

decker_cky
15-06-2010, 18:53
See, I'm a little disappointed that there's no metal markers, but I guess the plastic makes sense. I'll be getting everything from the gamers edition except the bag, and I'll be getting the magic cards. Not needed, but they definitely rate highly on the cool scale.

The casualty counter is the only part that I think is flat out silly, but that's easily adapted into an impressive turn marker. :D

philster
15-06-2010, 19:00
So the new rulebook is £45. I might seem like a cheap skate, but i think ill wait for the new box set for £50 and get all the core rules, markers, dice and a stack of models too all for only £5 more...

lethlis
15-06-2010, 19:01
I always regret not getting the cadian bag backpacks. It is kinda a where you rank on the geek o meter. I am just getting the book, but that is because I want to get one of those awesome overpriced bookbags for models. See my geek meter is not high as I did not go with the obvious solution of buying both.

Ultimate Life Form
15-06-2010, 19:10
I'm shocked by this thread seeing how many people don't even check what they're paying for when they hit the 'buy' button. If the price wouldn't be directly next to it you probably wouldn't even know how much you're paying.

txamil
15-06-2010, 19:11
You don't buy the Gamer's edition for value. If that's how you based your decision, I'm not surprised you're dissapointed.

decker_cky
15-06-2010, 19:14
But previous gamers editions have been awesome value...

NightAngel
15-06-2010, 19:22
I'll just be getting the book and the magic cards even thou I play TK.

Out of intrest did eanyone buy the collectors edidion

Tae
15-06-2010, 19:36
I'll just be getting the book and the magic cards even thou I play TK.

Out of intrest did eanyone buy the collectors edidion

Ditto, only minus the TK part. Some of the other bits look quite cool, but looking cool isn't sufficient to break open my wallet these days. Well, not on non-models anyway ...

Kulgur
15-06-2010, 19:41
I was going to buy Gamer's Edition until I realised that I would pay 13€ for a bag that I don't want and get no discount on templates and counters that I don't need (I can pick them up separately later if I change my mind).

I decided to skip the templates and counters and put the money saved on Citizens of Empire. Ended up buying standard rulebook, Skull Dice, Battle Magic Cards and all Citizens of Empire (as Empire is my main army and it is not possible to have too much useless miniatures).

I was going to get the Gamer's edition until I realised I already have a bag, dice, templates

LaughinGremlin
15-06-2010, 20:02
After looking at the new rulebook's "open book" pictures on GW's site, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the rules, which are in the first quarter of the book, seem to be less than a quarter of it. Most of the book is fluff, which I already have in leaps and bounds -- bound within my countless army books of old, and the rest of the book is a catalogue. For a newbie, this book is amazing, but for a veteran, I'm going to wait for the boxed set to be released and get my new rules that way.

Because of the above statement, I feel that the deal, of which this post is questioning, is only great for newbies or veteran Empire Players with money to spare, and can't pass up the opportunity to get more komet-laden, "KF" embossed hardbacks.
Instead, buy the cool blast templates and such separately. I do have an Empire army whose symbol is the sun, so I may "need" to do just that. ;)
My favorite "gadget" recently released is actually the box of spell cards, and that isn't part of the "deal," so meh... ...I may get that and the blast templates.

Xarius
15-06-2010, 20:05
the apocalypse one was about the same and the 40k ammo crate I dont care, it was cool and I use it to store BBs (my ammo, look at SIG link). These items are not for value (they should be), they are for massive profits and the collective nature of the items.

Scryer in the Darkness
15-06-2010, 20:25
After looking at the new rulebook's "open book" pictures on GW's site, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the rules, which are in the first quarter of the book, seem to be less than a quarter of it.

29.8% of the book is rules by raw page count, i.e. includes any full page art that might be included in that section. Rest of the breakdown is:
63.1% background and hobby pages.
7.1% reference pages in the back.

Galatan
15-06-2010, 21:36
29.8% of the book is rules by raw page count, i.e. includes any full page art that might be included in that section. Rest of the breakdown is:

Which means the book contains 30 or so pages more rules than the previous book. This is probably due to bigger diagrams, more scenarios and a bigger magic item section.

From a neutral point of view, if you really really only want the rules, then I would wait for the mini booklet in the starter set.

But hey, those gamer's edition and collectors edition were always there for people who had a little bit too much too spend. That's I think it's a good move that GW made all the other items available separately as well (expect for the bag of course). I bought it because I somehow love the look of pretty books on shelves and I'm an empire fan, so having such a neat little sack for your book with KF on it is pretty awesome for me. Also the engineers tools were mandatory for me (I'm an engineering student).
Also for only 10 euro's extra and an added 250 pages full colour, the new rulebook is of much better value than the previous one.

L1qw1d
15-06-2010, 21:51
You'll likely be able to sell the bag for twice that on eBay if it's that much of a bother. ;)

okie... NOW I think I can buy 2. If one recoups the cost, I think it's a good wash as it is lol

>edit: it's a good thing I work on the Highway, or I wouldn't be used to this level of robbery! $123 and $74?!

minionboy
15-06-2010, 22:28
Well, in USD it's actually a savings... $137 for all of it separately.

Paraelix
15-06-2010, 23:00
And of course everyone misses the point that stock around release time are limited in stores, and if you want the tidbits, you have to preorder. I want those dice... But I know for a fact that my local is only getting in about 10 bags... And they're only taking preorders for half of those (which are already taken)... Ergo the only safe way to get them was to grab the Gamer's

loveless
15-06-2010, 23:00
Well, in USD it's actually a savings... $137 for all of it separately.

$74.25 (rulebook) + $11.50 (dice) + $13.25 (counters) + $8.25 (templates) = $107.25

You're adding in the Engineer's Ranging Set in your calculations, which is not included in the Gamer's Edition.

LevDaddy
15-06-2010, 23:33
If you don't consider the bag it seems like you're paying a bit extra for the 'exclusivity' of the package, but I assume the bag is worth at least 20$. More expensive or not, I pre-ordered a Gamers Edition for myself first thing this morning, and a set of the cards, and I'm pretty darn stoked about it. :)

Murray the Demonic Skull
16-06-2010, 00:14
The book is the rip off in Australia. $124? It's absolutely ridiculous! It's like GW hates Australians with their insane prices at the moment. If I needed any more confirmation that I was done with Warhammer, this is it. It is a real shame though, since this was the game that made so many strong friendships for me, and gave me so many hours of enjoyment. Now, we get one more slap in the face. Well done GW.

Tarliyn
16-06-2010, 01:32
Where I live once you add sales tax into the cost of the gamer's collection, then you only pay about 7 dollars for the bag. Seems decent enough to me.

geldedgoat
16-06-2010, 04:05
After watching the demonstration video, I gotta ask: are those awesome-looking counters, templates, and other over-the-top gothic doodads just plastic? They looked metal at first (and I didn't bother to read the item descriptions on the GW website while I was able), but the way they bend in the youtube video demonstration belies a much cheaper production.

Jind_Singh
16-06-2010, 04:28
See I'm stuck - I preordered the nice book - leather cover - but was devastated as I really wanted the bag! Now I have to find someone who wants the book so I can sell them the book and buy the other stuff just to get a bag!

mrnibbles05
16-06-2010, 04:36
I was pretty excited for the pre-order date, but was pretty disappointed this morning. I'm getting back into the hobby, and NEED to buy a new rulebook, but nothing was appealing today. Bundles like the gamer's collection are typically a better deal than the parts separated, but this deal is totally dependant on IF you want the bag. The new tools look great but I don't NEED them. Heck I probably won't even preorder the basic, but just pick it up at my indy retailer to support a local business.

LaughinGremlin
16-06-2010, 05:43
Darkness,
Thank you for the percentage confirmations as to how much of the book is actually filled with rules.

Myrmidia Bless!

~ Gremlin

Why must I wait so long for the small rule book?!

Irish_Icicle
16-06-2010, 05:55
The book is the rip off in Australia. $124? It's absolutely ridiculous! It's like GW hates Australians with their insane prices at the moment. If I needed any more confirmation that I was done with Warhammer, this is it. It is a real shame though, since this was the game that made so many strong friendships for me, and gave me so many hours of enjoyment. Now, we get one more slap in the face. Well done GW.

in the states it's a good 74.25 plus tax. i split it with a friend making it just over 40 each. if you have a close knit gaming group, look into buying a book for the group. look around on warseer for the big rule changes and then confirm questions you have in the actual book.

loveless
16-06-2010, 06:24
Where I live once you add sales tax into the cost of the gamer's collection, then you only pay about 7 dollars for the bag. Seems decent enough to me.

You've got Iowa as your location. I suggest you do your math again and make sure you're aware of everything that comes in the Gamer's Edition, and what doesn't come in the Gamer's Edition.

decker_cky
16-06-2010, 06:45

Just curious....does the rules section you describe include the alternate and historical scenarios and such that come later than the 'rules' section in the book?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the reference pages are largely what's considered rules in 7th edition. That includes the lores of magic, generic magic items, etc.. doesn't it?

The Blue Guy
16-06-2010, 07:30
I had planned to order this really nice bag from GW but after I found out that it comes with a lot of Warhammer crap I decided against it.

Tarax
16-06-2010, 10:59
I was also disappointed by the Gamer's Edition. Most of it is also available seperately. Last time you got a special template set and dice and (I think) at a slight discount.
I was hoping they would have put the Magic cards and/or the Engineer Tools in there. Alas, it is not so and therefore I'm not going to buy it. I pre-ordered the book, templates, markers and tools at Wayland. (DISCOUNT!)

Has anyone noticed that the Skull Dice only give regular D6s and no Artillery and Scatter Dice? They are not made redundant are they? Otherwise it's a FAIL for GW.

Geep
16-06-2010, 11:07
I don't think the artillery and scatter dice are redundant, just not part of the gamer's edition set- a pretty important part to be missing IMO. I also thought the engineer's measuring tools were part of the set- seems not... and they're $50 Aus by themselves, but just plastic... ouch.

I don't see much use for 8 skull dice, especially when this edition sees the need to roll far more dice for attacking/ shooting. Maybe they'll be good as wound counters (instead of the ones in the set)?

Jedi152
16-06-2010, 12:56
Has anyone noticed that the Skull Dice only give regular D6s and no Artillery and Scatter Dice? They are not made redundant are they? Otherwise it's a FAIL for GW.

From GW's perspective it's not a fail; Gamers have to buy the regular dice set too to get the scatter and artillery dice.

Ultimate Life Form
16-06-2010, 13:03
Actually looking at the dice suggests that they're not entirely balanced and do not adhere to the principles of Laplace. Actually they're crooked dice with a tendency to show more 6's than would be possible! What is this, cheating officially sanctioned by GW? :mad:

Lordmonkey
16-06-2010, 14:03
Actually looking at the dice suggests that they're not entirely balanced and do not adhere to the principles of Laplace. Actually they're crooked dice with a tendency to show more 6's than would be possible! What is this, cheating officially sanctioned by GW? :mad:

No, you're doing it wrong, what you are supposed to do is start a new thread about how your opponents cheat and win because they are using fixed dice. Tsk tsk... :shifty:

Magic Karl
16-06-2010, 16:43
I thought the engineer's tool was in there too, found out after I bought. I also went for the army competition, which has been opened to everyone now which p****d me off if I'm honest.

Scryer in the Darkness
16-06-2010, 19:35
Just curious....does the rules section you describe include the alternate and historical scenarios and such that come later than the 'rules' section in the book?

Also, I'm pretty sure that the reference pages are largely what's considered rules in 7th edition. That includes the lores of magic, generic magic items, etc.. doesn't it?
Yeah, I've done the breakdown by the broad sections as they lie in the book. So the "Rules" include the introduction and lead-up pages such as What You Need To Play and Mustering Your Forces, etc. The Exploring Even Further stuff and the various historical scenario references and warmachines of legend, etc, that come after the background section I have included in with the "Background and Hobby pages". "Reference" in the back includes the Lores of Magic, Magic Items, Army Summaries, etc, and the Index.

What people personally attribute as Rules/Background/Reference is up to them.

Tarliyn
17-06-2010, 01:28

is this true? I may have to reconsider buying more of them....

2 things I don't want to happen:

be shady with my dice and
roll more miscasts lol

So hmm....