PDA

View Full Version : Horus Traitors

xerxeshavelock
15-06-2010, 22:50
So far we have read about how some of the Legions turned to Horus during the Heresy. We have also read how individuals within those Legions remained loyal. What I have never heard of is those marines within Loyalist chapters turning traitor. Surely it must have happened? Until now the argument is that this was brushed under the carpet - records expunged etc. But now they're writing a "what actually happened" series, I for one would like to read about the Ultramarine captain who agreed with Horus. Or the Imperial fist battlegroup who saw the crazy White Scars attack the innocent Word Bearers and intervened. I think there is a lot of mileage in those so-far hidden stories.

Anyone else agree?

nedius
15-06-2010, 23:02
Well, that's the whole 'thousand sons' book, isn;t it? The Space wolves attacking the Thousand Sons, who were only trying to stop Horus? they were manipulated into destroying the Sons, rather than bringing Magnus to Terra - Horus using the hatred the Wolves already had for the Sons to his advantage?

That's the interesting thing about this portrayal of the Thousand Sons. even at the end of the book, they still claim to be 'loyalists' - determined to prove that their ways are the right ones to the emperor - as misguided as that may be.

Justicar Valius
15-06-2010, 23:10
Would be very nice, all but one chapter has had a member fall to chaos after all why couldn't the legions have a lot in the heresy.

xerxeshavelock
15-06-2010, 23:12
Not quite what I meant, I'm thinking more of marines from Loyalist chapters who actively sided with Horus. Some may have made a mistake, then not been able to pull back. Others would have entered it willingly, either because they agreed with him, or because they thought that was to be on the winning side.

A Thousand Sons is close but doesn't cover new ground.

Sunfang
15-06-2010, 23:53
As in the story of the dark Angels and Caliban?

My knowledge is hazy with that particular bit of lore but I was under the impression that when everything got settled and Lion returned home he was greeted with "the great betrayal" or what not.

Erwos
16-06-2010, 00:40
As in the story of the dark Angels and Caliban?.
Bingo. Although I'm not sure if the Fallen ever actually allied with Horus or not?

The Orange
16-06-2010, 05:51
Traitors betrayed the Emperor to follow their Primarchs, while loyalest had it easy and simply followed both their Primarch and the Emperor. Loyalest from a Traitor legion simply chose to betray their Primarch for the Emperor. I think it's a bit less likely to see a traitor from a loyalest Legion because that would entail betraying both their Primarch and the Emperor, both of which are no doubt important figureheads for a Marine.

I could see instances where Marines would make a bad choice when they did not have all the facts in their hand, but I'd assume that once they know where their Primarch stood they'd pretty much take that stance.

gab-skull trasher
16-06-2010, 07:09
Traitors betrayed the Emperor to follow their Primarchs, while loyalest had it easy and simply followed both their Primarch and the Emperor. Loyalest from a Traitor legion simply chose to betray their Primarch for the Emperor. I think it's a bit less likely to see a traitor from a loyalest Legion because that would entail betraying both their Primarch and the Emperor, both of which are no doubt important figureheads for a Marine.

I could see instances where Marines would make a bad choice when they did not have all the facts in their hand, but I'd assume that once they know where their Primarch stood they'd pretty much take that stance.

Well not quite, there is a story in the Chaos Space Marine book were a group of Space Wolves turn on their loyal counter parts. Fully knowing that they have betrayed their primarch and the emperor, so I would guess that during the Horus Heresy there were also incidents like that. Of course it's just my opinion and I might be wrong.

...In the port gunnery decks the Space Wolves fought with vigor and determination, selling their lives dearly as a scarred, grizzled Wolf Priest roared and bellowed his hatred of the renegades. On the starboard side, it seemed at first that the Red Corsairs might be held out of the gun decks. Then without warning, several of the Space Wolves turned on their brethren,attacking them from behind before surrendering to the mercy of the Blood Reaver. They recanted their oaths to the Space Wolves, Leman Russ and the Emperor, and swore new pledges of loyalty to Huron. As a reward for their treachery, Blackheart granted them command of the Wolf of Fenris...