PDA

View Full Version : Which Army will you play as? (40k Online - with trailer)

Blink
15-06-2010, 23:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHu4Na0lsd0
^
For those who haven't seen it.

I am REALLY hoping Tau are a playable race. Unfortunately that doesn't seem like the case. In that case, Ork-Ork-Ork-Ork-Ork.

Lord Inquisitor
15-06-2010, 23:49
Is anyone not going titan-titan-titan-TITAN-TITAN-TITAN-STOMP all the way through that trailer?

Sunfang
15-06-2010, 23:50
I cant possibly see them including every race in 40k.

If they do the classes will be so watered down and generic that it would boarder unplayable. Also including that many factions would split the population of any given server and make for an incredibly boring game.

With that said, from a lore stand-point it just dosnt make sense to team up all of these races into two or three factions.

Space Marines and Imperial gaurd vs Chaos Marines and Orks would be my guess. Everything else included will probably be PvE content.

woodfin
15-06-2010, 23:52
If its mostly text then not orks, I love them but I played AOR as a orc and it was really hard to understand them half the time.

Souleater
15-06-2010, 23:53
I'd be more intrested if it featured any of the armies I play which I doubt it will :(

RobPro
15-06-2010, 23:53
I'm surprised there were no Eldar in the trailer, I'd think they would be a faction you'd want at launch. I'd love to play as a Necron, but I doubt they'll be a playable faction even if they're eventually included.

lego_king
16-06-2010, 00:37
If I am stuck playing someone from the Imperium of Man, Chaos or Orks I choose to not play the game.

They are IMO the least interesting of all the 40k universe.

Jonny_N
16-06-2010, 00:45
So you can play as a space marine? I think WoW is screwed!

bigcheese76
16-06-2010, 00:53
The Imperial Guard, by far my favourite army in all ways.

Grenzstein
16-06-2010, 00:57
I've had my eye on the game for a while, and I'm pretty sure the only playable races/factions are Imperium, Chaos and Orks as of right now. They could possibly add more before release - but for now I think that's the extent of options.

It's possible that they can always toss in a few more xeno factions with expansion packs.

I'm relieved to see that unlike the Fantasy WH MMO there will be no fluff butchering alliances. Factions stand alone like in the actual 40K universe. I'll be honest, I was really worried about that.

As for what I'll play? I have no idea to be honest, haha. Not until we know more. They're going to release more information throughout E3, so keep your eyes peeled, and hopefully they'll release some class information.

I'll admit my heart warmed to the fact they included the Adeptus Mechanicus. Seeing the Skitarii and Tech Priest in the trailer made me smile. :)

enigma-96
16-06-2010, 01:05
I like how in the trailer the Imperium and Chaos are duking it out in Epic battles and the orks are just loling around in a Deffkopta.....damn this game really does follow the fluff. :D
Also here's hoping they don't just turn it into an instance grinding game. Hopefully the only "instances" the game has are enemy faction strongholds and such that can be taken over.

As for race I would love to play a Grey Knight, which I think were shown in the trailer very briefly.

Blizzinam
16-06-2010, 01:09
For the emperor!

Dead7
16-06-2010, 01:16
If I am stuck playing someone from the Imperium of Man, Chaos or Orks I choose to not play the game.

They are IMO the least interesting of all the 40k universe.
+1

I've had my eye on the game for a while, and I'm pretty sure the only playable races/factions are Imperium, Chaos and Orks as of right now. They could possibly add more before release - but for now I think that's the extent of options.

It's possible that they can always toss in a few more xeno factions with expansion packs.

I'm relieved to see that unlike the Fantasy WH MMO there will be no fluff butchering alliances. Factions stand alone like in the actual 40K universe. I'll be honest, I was really worried about that.

its really not unheard of to have alliances between different races in various situations. would it really be that fluff breaking if chaos was some how able to use orks and some sort of starcraft-esc beacon for nids to try to destroy the galaxy and in response the imperium tau and an eldar craft world all work together to avoid destruction?

edit: il play eldar if posible (but if the armys arnt allied il probably play something imperial as my freinds all think sm fluff is the best thing sense sliced bread >.>)

DuskRaider
16-06-2010, 01:36
I have a feeling they're going to do it sort of like WAR. Imperium vs Chaos will be one RvR battle, Orks vs... I dunno? Eldar? Would be another, and you can cross over. I'd really like to see it as actual separate factions, no Eldar and Imperium or Chaos and Orks aligning with one another.

In any case, I fully intend on rolling Chaos (both Marine and Guard if they're a choice) and Ork.

Wolf Lord Balrog
16-06-2010, 01:41
I am REALLY hoping Tau are a playable race.

This ^^

10 characters

Dead7
16-06-2010, 01:43
if they have all the included races separate then obviously there will be 50 times as many spess mahreens than anything else. wheres the fun in that? now that i think about it if this game is pvp based (it will be) then to get any sort of balance gw itself would have to put forth an effort into making some appeal for whoever the marines will be fighting. the exact opposite direction than they have been going lately. maybe they will release a bunch of the more evil codexs around the same time to build up hype. (or maybe they wont see this coming like i have)

Adra
16-06-2010, 01:49
very early footage and some of it looks terrible so dont hold this trailer up as a true example of anything the finished product may include. im willing to belive that space marines will be in it mind you ;)

Blizzinam
16-06-2010, 02:01
There is always the crazily drawing appeal of playing a berzerker. Maim kill burn, anyone?

Axeman1n
16-06-2010, 02:02
Catachan FTW!

Scribe of Khorne
16-06-2010, 02:09
World Eaters

DuskRaider
16-06-2010, 02:27
I guess there was a Beta... Anybody here who played it? Can you tell us which races / classes there are?

Sunfang
16-06-2010, 02:33
Also here's hoping they don't just turn it into an instance grinding game. Hopefully the only "instances" the game has are enemy faction strongholds and such that can be taken over.

I have a feeling its going to be exactly that with exception to the PvP which will be seperate istanced ques as they did with WAR but not static battle ground.

Leveling will probably be done ala Anarchy online style...repeatable missions in a completely random generic instance with an end boss. Little narative play.

Quest writers are expensive and not needed for a project like 40k.

Dead7
16-06-2010, 02:34
it would be nice to have somewhat shooter style gameplay, sort of like how borderlands worked.

edit: just noticed in the trailer it says "demons, aliens and heretics descent on man... the battle lines are drawn" sounds like they will be going with an alliance thing like the fantasy mmo.

OoieGooie
16-06-2010, 03:13
Computer games are never like table top so be happy with what we get. I was excited until they said "MMO". Seriously, I dont like MMO games. Huge time sinks with little reward (IMO).

Still, keep an eye on updates. Ill wait for some game play footage.

If I did play and no Eldar are available? Prob go Chaos. But lets face it, anyone who plays a game like this eventually tries all the races! :p

Dead7
16-06-2010, 04:12
from thq website:
"Side with the forces of Order, or the vile hosts of Destruction, in a war that will..."

i think we can now safely assume that most of the major races will be playable and it wont be a free for all.

Otterpot
16-06-2010, 04:17
When I first started 40k I thought tau were great, and if kroot are playable that would be amazing. But I'll settle for a bolter lugging super soldier.:p

woodfin
16-06-2010, 04:20
I just don't want humans working with Xenos and stay in lore and I'm good.

Romanus
16-06-2010, 04:39
Eldar or a Guardsmen, either way will probably try all the races first up. Not sure why they have to split it up into two factions. I thought they may have gone with a three way conflict between the Imperium, Chaos and Orks at Launch and then release expansions for Eldar and or Tau, or go with a three way betweein SM/IG, Chaos/Ork and Eldar/Tau. Really can't wait to see more info, especially in regards to classes and a release date.

Cheers,
Rom

woodfin
16-06-2010, 04:43
Eldar or a Guardsmen, either way will probably try all the races first up. Not sure why they have to split it up into two factions. I thought they may have gone with a three way conflict between the Imperium, Chaos and Orks at Launch and then release expansions for Eldar and or Tau, or go with a three way betweein SM/IG, Chaos/Ork and Eldar/Tau. Really can't wait to see more info, especially in regards to classes and a release date.

Cheers,
Rom

Corrupt tin cans and Green Scottish people working together.... sorry I can't see it.

The Inevitable One
16-06-2010, 04:46
If a majority of races are available in the game, I would play Dark Eldar. If not then Eldar.

CULCHAIN
16-06-2010, 04:49
Waaagghhhh!!!!!

Grenzstein
16-06-2010, 05:18
+1its really not unheard of to have alliances between different races in various situations. would it really be that fluff breaking if chaos was some how able to use orks and some sort of starcraft-esc beacon for nids to try to destroy the galaxy and in response the imperium tau and an eldar craft world all work together to avoid destruction?

Yes, it would rub me the wrong way.

It's just my opinion, but I detest alliances with any alien. Too much blood has been spilled by xeno filth in the past; I would rather die unsupported than to ally with those unclean beasts.

While it can happen once in a blue-moon; Ork mercs; Eldar and Humans fighting to save a world, etc. It's not the every day. Which would kill my immersion in the game.

Vedar
16-06-2010, 05:39
Oddly enough what would you do with Nids? They would not ally with anyone. Space Marine/Guard sure. Chaos/Orks ...ya they can work together as long as it suits them. Eldar? They don't play nice with others. Necrons.. Nope. Tau? nobody really likes them. Dark Eldar really do not not play nice with others are are probably not popular enough to be added to the game.

As I see it you have the Space Marine/Gaurd tag team and the Chaos/Ork side at launch.

Dead7
16-06-2010, 05:57
Yes, it would rub me the wrong way.

It's just my opinion, but I detest alliances with any alien. Too much blood has been spilled by xeno filth in the past; I would rather die unsupported than to ally with those unclean beasts.

While it can happen once in a blue-moon; Ork mercs; Eldar and Humans fighting to save a world, etc. It's not the every day. Which would kill my immersion in the game.

im sure whatever backstory they put into this game its not going to be some every day thing. look at it from the perspective of the game instead of the fluff, there are three options;

1. 2 factions, 4 races: just the guard and sm vs orks and chaos like we saw in the trailer, this would loose alot of variety and alot of us wouldnt want to play.

2. all of the races are in but its a bit free for all: there will be extreme balance issues and any gaming groups who want to play together will have to put up with playing things they dont like.

3. 2 factions (like WAR): enough options that they wont loose any players and you avoid all of the problems from #2

IcedAnimals
16-06-2010, 06:05
I also agree that factions would be stupid. The imperium is a faction unto itself. If they want to do "the imperium" as a faction and let us play guard, marines, admech and sisters thats awesome. Chaos has some of those things too so its fine. Leave nids unplayable. That gives you tau, eldar and orks. You going to have those orks join the greater good? The taus most hated enemy?

From everything I have seen the video is Imperium, vs Chaos, vs orks. Any other race will make cameos as npcs or be added later. I expect it to work like planetside and less like WoW.

t-tauri
16-06-2010, 06:25
Thread closed. Already posted in computers and consoles. Please post in the appropriate area.