PDA

View Full Version : When will it be 40k 6th Edition?

TheDireAvenger
15-06-2010, 23:39
With the new release of 8th Edition for WHFB and all its goodies.

Any idea when GW will update 40k? 5th edition is definitely the best edition so far but so rules like LOS (oh, I can see a tiny piece of your squad's foot despite 99.9% of everyone out of LOS behind a giant rock so I can shoot you) really need to be tweaked. I feel you should only be able to kill what you can see.

GW updates WHFB and 40k every... 4 or 5 years? How long has it been since 5th edition came out? 3 years?

Hopefully we can see a 6th edition in 2011. WOOT

Jonny_N
15-06-2010, 23:41
I hope its not for a while. expensive stuff.

e2055261
15-06-2010, 23:57
5th edition will have been out for two years in July. I hope the next edition is a long way off to be honest.

The rules aren't that bad. TLOS wasn't meant to be in effect if all you can see is a foot.

bigcheese76
15-06-2010, 23:58
Can we just stick with 5th for a bit, the rules arent bad and at the moment they keep simplifying the rules with each edition so they can appeal to even younger gamers so they get more customers and more profit.

Wolf Lord Balrog
16-06-2010, 00:10
I'm not sure that TLoS is an improvement over an abstract system. They just seem like different ways of doing things with different implications.

For 6th Ed I'd like to see AT weapons made slightly more effective. I didn't buy hundreds of infantry models to then play TankHammer.

mafty
16-06-2010, 00:18
hopefully 3-4 years from now........seriously. 5th is fine, dont mess with it. I want new codexes, not new rulebook.

Dead7
16-06-2010, 00:20
from the way we are going id bet that we will see all the codexes updated and a new expansion or two before 6th ed some time around 2013

Bookwrak
16-06-2010, 00:38
It's highly doubtful we're going to see all the codices updated before sixth edition, given that there are still four armies using 3rd edition rules, but as on average, we've been getting a new edition every five-ish years, 2013 isn't a bad guess.

Rated_lexxx
16-06-2010, 01:07
if we can up to date codex for everyone then we can get another edition

Axeman1n
16-06-2010, 01:14
Unit sniping via toe LOS is much better than character sniping via limiting LOS.

Sunfang
16-06-2010, 01:15
hopefully 3-4 years from now........seriously. 5th is fine, dont mess with it. I want new codexes, not new rulebook.

This a thousand times over.

TheDireAvenger
16-06-2010, 01:41
The rules aren't that bad. TLOS wasn't meant to be in effect if all you can see is a foot.

Can anyone confirm this? If someone can see a tiny part of a plume of a helmet of a Dire Avenger or a part of a big flag of a Cadian Command Squad (but no actual members) are they allowed to shoot at the squad?

Arthanor
16-06-2010, 01:58
Look at page 16 of the big rulebook, says that if it's not head, torso, legs or arms that you can see, you can't shoot it. Banners, wings, tails, ornaments (plume of a helmet should qualify as an ornament) and weapons are mentionned as not being enough.

All you should have to argue about with your opponent is whether hands and feet are parts of arms and legs (some middle ground like one foot is not enough, everyone's feet might be, can be reached), but he can't shoot at your cadian squad because he sees the flag, and only a DA plume seems like it would be pushing it too.

triplare
16-06-2010, 02:24
I hope it's at least 3 or so years before a new rulebook. I like TLoS, KP's and all the current changes from 4th edition just fine.

mulkers
16-06-2010, 02:30
Ten years it should be, however a re-release with updated army information (i.e Hive tyrant's ws from 5 to 8 etc) as well as rule fixes, including the supplementary books, and some decent 3rd/4th style missions would be more than welcome.

If there are major armies that get squeezed out of this edition, that still don't have codexes, then someone needs some serious testicle crushing

Axeman1n
16-06-2010, 02:46
If all you can see is the foot, then you can probably see the base. The foot is not targetable, but the base is.

Corpse
16-06-2010, 03:40
6th edition
Before the final codexes have been updated for 5th.

Also, the codexes released soon before 5th edition was released are assumed to be 5th edition codexes just like the chaos codex always is. (Hint, chaos codex was made for 5th edition before the overhauled it from the leaked version so it is left behind in more ways then most people realize).

So when you see a new chaos codex, expect 6th edition right after that.

They've done it the past two times, why not go for the third strike!?

Raven1
16-06-2010, 03:55
I don't think it will be for a while. I at least hope they can go through all the codexes and update them for 5th edition, but I suppose that too is just wishful thinking.

Jayden63
16-06-2010, 04:33
Not soon enough. 5th ed, is by far the least fun edition in my book.

Gensuke626
16-06-2010, 04:39

I bet you never played 2nd ed with powergamers.

PLR
16-06-2010, 04:49
I'd like to see 40K 5.5: Tournament Rules Edition...

Gensuke626
16-06-2010, 04:50
I'd like to see 40K 5.5: Tournament Rules Edition...

Only if we get a corresponding 40k Edition that changes the way Apoc works to make it feel more epic and isn't based on "tournament" rules.

MajorWesJanson
16-06-2010, 04:53

Yeah, cause cc units consolidating into combat was tons of fun.

6th will probably be somewhere between 2012 and 2014.

I hope in 6th tanks get some of the things from spearhead, like being to split fire and fire one extra weapon on the move. Then drop the penalty for glancing hits on the chart to -1 and everyone is happy.

Possible progression of codices and next edition:
Oct 2010 Dark Eldar
Jan 2011 Grey Knights
March/April 2011 Necrons
July/Aug 2011 Black Templars
Nov 2011 Tau
Feb 2012 Sisters of Battle
May 2012 Eldar
July 2012 6th Edition codex
September 2012 6th edition starter
Nov 2012 Space Marines
Feb 2013 Orks
May 2013 CSM
August 2013 Daemons
Oct 2013 Dark Angels
Jan 2014 Nids
April 2014 Guard

Just a guess based on release dates of codices and what needs done in what rough order.

Dead7
16-06-2010, 05:01
Possible progression of codices and next edition:

May 2012 Eldar
July 2012 6th Edition codex

noooooooooooooooo!! not again!

ehlijen
16-06-2010, 05:04
noooooooooooooooo!! not again!

This has yet to happen to eldar. Their codices came out early in 3rd ed and half way through in 4th ed (there were 4 before them and 4 after them).

Dead7
16-06-2010, 05:14
well i didnt pick it up till 5th came out, my group wasnt at the point where we actually were getting updates. we had only gotten the 4th ed brb a month earlier lol

The Ginger Ninja
16-06-2010, 08:55
I seem to remember someone saying a while ago that fantasy coincides with the winter olympics and 40k coincides with the summer olympics.
Make of that information as you will.

Born Again
16-06-2010, 10:04
It's looking like 2012, but as 5th is a good ruleset with no major problems it could go a bit further and push it a year or two back in favour of more codex books.

rules like LOS (oh, I can see a tiny piece of your squad's foot despite 99.9% of everyone out of LOS behind a giant rock so I can shoot you) really need to be tweaked. I feel you should only be able to kill what you can see.

This isn't how the rule is meant to work, as a good rule of thumb you should be able to see at least 1/3 to 50% of the model or you can't shoot at them.

Grimtuff
16-06-2010, 10:15

I take it you never played a BA Rhino Rush, Siren Prince daemonbomb or a 4th ed. Falcon spam army then?

Or hell, 2nd ed.

Chaos and Evil
16-06-2010, 10:18
It's highly doubtful we're going to see all the codices updated before sixth edition, given that there are still four armies using 3rd edition rules, but as on average, we've been getting a new edition every five-ish years, 2013 isn't a bad guess.

They've upped the tempo to every 4 years of late (4th ed. lasted only 4 years, as did WFB 7th ed.) so 2012 is, sadly, more likely.

Grimtuff
16-06-2010, 10:39
They've upped the tempo to every 4 years of late (4th ed. lasted only 4 years, as did WFB 7th ed.) so 2012 is, sadly, more likely.

So at that rate, Dark Eldar will in theory have an outdated codex within a year of the new ones supposed release! :p

x-esiv-4c
16-06-2010, 10:55
What makes you think there will be a 6th edition?

__ALEX__
16-06-2010, 11:10
Regarding TLOS, if whether or not you can target a model just because you can see their foot is an argument which occurs often in your gaming group then it might be time to get new friends!!

Grimtuff
16-06-2010, 11:30
What makes you think there will be a 6th edition?

Because GW will obviously still be around in 2012. Oh wait.... :shifty:

Bunnahabhain
16-06-2010, 11:44
Well, if it does go under, someone will snap up the IP, and a 6th ed is a dead cert then...

To the OP
Hopefully not for a long time - at least 3 years.
Issue a decent set of FAQ and Erratas for ALL armies, including recosting/ rules tweaks where needed to make stuff work with 5th ed, and fix some obvious balance issues ( i.e. Storm shield= 4++ all the time, regardless of what chapter you are, tweak costs as appropriate)

This alone could make vast swathes of units work far better than now, so sell more models.

Then, slowly, with some actual thought, do a proper 6th ed, with all codexs written at the same time. A decent, balanced rule set will sell more models.

dragonet111
16-06-2010, 14:00
I like the game at present. As it had already been said I want 5ed codex for every armies not a new edition.

Raven1
16-06-2010, 14:26
Issue a decent set of FAQ and Erratas for ALL armies, including recosting/ rules tweaks where needed to make stuff work with 5th ed, and fix some obvious balance issues ( i.e. Storm shield= 4++ all the time, regardless of what chapter you are, tweak costs as appropriate)

That would be a bad thing, if you moved say a majority of wargear to the BRB you wouldn't have that problem.

Omniassiah
16-06-2010, 14:47
I take it you never played a BA Rhino Rush, Siren Prince daemonbomb or a 4th ed. Falcon spam army then?

Or hell, 2nd ed.
or leaf blower, Fateweaver, BA Stormraven rush... Got to agree 5th ed. of the "new" editions has been my least favorite. 2nd ed. or the "old" edition yeah it was wonky but I enjoyed playing the games more then current.

the1stpip
16-06-2010, 14:54
Dont like TLoS, but the rest of the rules are great, so I am fairly happy with the current edition.

Probably be 2-3 years before a new codex, they come every 4 or 5 years.

Kettu
16-06-2010, 15:23
July/Aug 2011 Black Templars
Nov 2011 Tau
Feb 2012 Sisters of Battle

Other then the fact I haven't heard anything about BT or Tau at all I certainly hope those two do not get updated till after all the 3rd ed dexes Sisters included.

And if the Sisters do come at the end of the update cycle then I hope they postpone it till 6th ed and make them the first codex out.

You know, just to break with tradition of being last every time.

Bilmengar
16-06-2010, 15:59
Well, I somehow have the feeling that WHEN the new Edition comes, there will be a bigger rules overhaul. Compare 2nd -> 3rd 40k or now the 7th->8th fantasy. Not because 5th is bad, but because they want to sell new stuff...

I mean, yeah, if 6th was a tweaked 5th, it could be "perfect" - they correct the "bad things" and leave the "good things" alone. So my guess would be a complete rework, not just tweaking. What do you think?

eriochrome
16-06-2010, 16:03

Agree with this. I would expect it to be Summer 2012 independent of how good the rule set is. They just want to make you buy a new 75 dollar book as often as they think is reasonable.

World Cup means WHFB new edition
Summer Olympics means W40K new edition

gwarsh41
16-06-2010, 16:20
Once the new Chaos Daemons codex comes out, 6th edition will be right around the corner.

Jayden63
16-06-2010, 18:00

Or hell, 2nd ed.
or leaf blower, Fateweaver, BA Stormraven rush... Got to agree 5th ed. of the "new" editions has been my least favorite. 2nd ed. or the "old" edition yeah it was wonky but I enjoyed playing the games more then current.
Omniassiah is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

Don't confuse codexs with Core rules. Vehicles were used to be more dynamic. Target priority used to force choices thus inforcing certain tactics, now all we have is the dumbing down effect with cover saves.

LOS blocking cover was huge.

Character sniping, while painful when it happened to you, was a skill. Something that required planning and practice.

Assault was tons more fun because you had to plan out your assault, you had to think about killzones. Now its just engage as many different units as possible. Don't think, just do it.

Any codex can be made unfun to play against in any rule set. However, the older rule sets had much more dynamic and interesting games IMO if codex abuse didn't happen in the first place.

Logan_uc
16-06-2010, 18:02
2012 probably, but if they do the same job as 8th for whfb, i hope its in 41st milennium.

SPYDER68
16-06-2010, 18:03
New book will just be the same crap with different problems as Codex rules matching rulebook with all their loopholes and broken rules wont change much.

A polished **** is still a ****... Might as wel leave it at the rules set it is now.

The Inevitable One
16-06-2010, 20:16
I could be wrong but I think Games Workshop is trying to get all the codexes fixed to fit the current rules rather than creating another rulebook and starting all the codexes all over again.

If in any case they do create 6th Edition, it will be a few years (2-3) down the track.

gwarsh41
16-06-2010, 20:50
New book will just be the same crap with different problems as Codex rules matching rulebook with all their loopholes and broken rules wont change much.

A polished **** is still a ****... Might as wel leave it at the rules set it is now.

dude, why do you even play?

Deff Mekz
16-06-2010, 20:56
I'm going to predict 2012, so GW can get some last minute sales in before the world ends. :D

Lord Inquisitor
16-06-2010, 21:04
GW have been fairly consistent with a 4 year cycle of new editions, so every 2 years there's a new edition for WFB or 40K alternating. So 2012 seems likely.

I'd welcome 6th, especially if it was a major overhaul like 8th ed WFB is. There is so much that could be improved and streamlined in 40K. Although I'd settle for 5th ed with an overwatch mechanic at a pinch.

Grimtuff
16-06-2010, 22:04
dude, why do you even play?

Put it this way, if there ever was any system I have seen that you can add a dictionary definition of "unpleaseable fanbase" to is 40k gamers. ;)

See also (as someone so eloquently put on this forum) "battered wife syndrome".

mulkers
17-06-2010, 01:28
Why is everyone saying that 4 years is consistant? One edition change across two platforms does not a consistant time frame make.

6 years from 3rd to 4th, and 5 years from 2nd to 3rd.

Bookwrak
17-06-2010, 01:52
I mean, yeah, if 6th was a tweaked 5th, it could be "perfect" - they correct the "bad things" and leave the "good things" alone. So my guess would be a complete rework, not just tweaking. What do you think?

In order to be 'perfect' it would need to please all the people all the time, which as this thread alone demonstrates, is simply not possible. The players desires for direction and changes becomes visible during the course of an edition, the new edition makes changes, and a whole new set arise over the course of the new one.

Vehicles are a good example. Does anyone really miss the rhino rush? Really? Didn't think so. Back in 3rd edition, you could assault after getting out of a transports, so the Marine tactic dujour was to put everyone in rhinos, race them across the board, and drown your opponent in power armor.

Fourth edition then went too far the other way. Not only was the rhino rush out, but the rules turned transports in general into rattling death traps that were generally derided for their ability to get units from point A to B.

I think 5th edition has found a happy medium, but it's hardly unanimous and there's never going to be a solution that satisfies everyone all of the time.

Wolf Lord Balrog
17-06-2010, 02:25
Vehicles are a good example. Does anyone really miss the rhino rush? Really? Didn't think so. Back in 3rd edition, you could assault after getting out of a transports, so the Marine tactic dujour was to put everyone in rhinos, race them across the board, and drown your opponent in power armor.

Fourth edition then went too far the other way. Not only was the rhino rush out, but the rules turned transports in general into rattling death traps that were generally derided for their ability to get units from point A to B.

I think 5th edition has found a happy medium, but it's hardly unanimous and there's never going to be a solution that satisfies everyone all of the time.

For the vehicle situation, I'd be happy with reducing the Glancing Hit penalty from -2 to -1, as has been suggested elsewhere. <bam> AT firepower is slightly more effective, less TankHammer.

Fable
17-06-2010, 02:30
If IG continue to dominate the tourney scene we'll see a new edition sooner rather than later and it will be released not so much to change the base rules as to nerf a couple of really abusable codexes, collateral damage be damned.

Personally I think they're testing out 6th edition with things like spearhead, and they're pushing harder to include flyers and super heavies into the regular game.

northernmaximus
17-06-2010, 02:37
Plus with the game getting more and more popular, will help the push of new content.

MajorWesJanson
17-06-2010, 02:40
If IG continue to dominate the tourney scene we'll see a new edition sooner rather than later and it will be released not so much to change the base rules as to nerf a couple of really abusable codexes, collateral damage be damned.

Personally I think they're testing out 6th edition with things like spearhead, and they're pushing harder to include flyers and super heavies into the regular game.

If the next BRB for 40K is like Fantasy, it will be 500-600 pages and possibly integrate Apocalypse into the back. Would be a nice selling point to point out the rules for bigger games and Superheavies, Gargantuan critters, and flyers in the main rulebook, then Apoc books could just be fluff and datasheets in softback.

If they do it creatively, they could allow for fliers, superheavies, or gargantuan critters in normal games, perhaps in some scenarios.

spaint2k
17-06-2010, 03:07
Maybe I'm getting too old for this, but the cycle is just too short for me to finish an army in and I personally don't want a new edition of 40K ever again unless it's a COMPLETE reboot and invalidates all previous codexes.

I want a decent wargame, that scales from skirmish to mega-battle and doesn't make me want to go and do something else outside the room during my opponent's turn. GW can then give us full armylists again, (a single book: Warhammer 40K: Armies) and stop wasting time on endless iterations of badly-written, non-meshing rules.

Once this is accomplished, GW can go back to what they do best: make and sell cool toy soldiers. Future supplements should consist of campaign and themed sourcebooks, specialized forces, and more imaginative content than the current endless cycle of rehashing old rules, old armies and old fluff.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-06-2010, 05:50
Target priority used to force choices thus inforcing certain tactics
No it didn't. At least not in my experience, I can't remember it being an important element of the game. You could either safely ignore it or if you actually needed to pass the test with the leadership values in 40k odds are very good you will pass.
If you want a target priority system that does something like that have a look at the 2nd ed system. Of course it also meant that to an extend your opponent were dictating what your army could do so it's not really an ideal system.

LOS blocking cover was huge.
It might require different terrain pieces to the ones you used to use but LOS blocking terrain is still very much in the game.

Character sniping, while painful when it happened to you, was a skill. Something that required planning and practice.
But that doesn't by default make it a good rule. It was a weird case of TLOS in a game system not designed to operate that way. I got no issue with being able to pick out characters if it's an integrated part of the system. The weird LOS manipulation required to do it thought just felt odd to me.

Assault was tons more fun because you had to plan out your assault, you had to think about killzones. Now its just engage as many different units as possible. Don't think, just do it.
#shrug# Personal preference I suppose. I never really liked the killzone system much, it was a bit of a weird throwback to when 40k was generally played at a smaller scale. To me the new system flows better and seem more appropriate to 40k. It's really a company scale game with the unit as the basic element, rather than the individual model so having the combat system essentially be unit wide fits better I think.