PDA

View Full Version : Fun with 8th edition lores

Jack of Blades
16-06-2010, 00:50
What are your particular ideas for them? any tactics you want to share? good combos etc? something I snapped up pretty much immediately was this:

Vampire Lord - 440 points
Forbidden Lore, Beasts
Beguile
Infinite Hatred
Power Stone
Armour of 4+ Ward Save
Magic Level 3

The idea is to transform yourself into a Greater Fire Dragon. When you do, you'll be able to with 8 WS8 S8 attacks re-roll misses and force a model in base contact to pass a -3 LD test or you get to re-roll wounds against it. You also have D6 crush attacks that are presumably S8 as well as an S5 breath weapon. On the defensive side, your 8 T8 wounds are augmented by a 2+ save that gets boosted to 1+ thanks to the armour and also a 4+ ward save.

In one round of combat taking the breath weapon into account you can put out 8 miss & potentially wound re-rollable S8 attacks + average 3/4 S8 presumably autohits + 2d6 S5 flaming hits. This guy would be able to take on the likes of Kholek without blinking.

This is much nastier than when any other army book does this because VC has the bloodline powers not only to guarantee getting the spell, but also to make it much more effective. Of course, every single opponent will always try his utmost to stop this spell from succeeding and then there's the danger of miscasting, but if you somehow succeed in casting this spell... :evilgrin:

Ultimate Life Form
16-06-2010, 00:58
Slann with Lore of Fire. That is my particular idea. :angel:

He gets +4 to casting. I start off rolling a dice for Fireball. Fireball is 5+. With the extra dice added it's practically guaranteed to go off. Now we face not only some roasted enemies but also an additional +3 to cast. Makes +7 to cast. Picking next spell in the Lore. Rinse and repeat so long as you have power dice left. The potential damage output is breathtaking

kaintxu
16-06-2010, 01:18
Never start with fireball, since it has 3 lvls start with something else and leave fireball to the end.
3D6 D6? way better than being ussing as first spell.

Start with flaming skull, or the one that goes on ranks

PurchasedPig
16-06-2010, 16:45
Personally my Slann will be getting Lore Of Life and Cupped Hands. Wait til you're in combat and throw a load of dice into Throne Of Vines. If you lose control it's no biggy as you just give it to your opponent. After this give your temple guard T8 and revive any casualties. Every time you cast spells you can give yourself or nearby steggies wounds back hence meaning that even if you DO lose control later you probably won't have that bad an effect on the slann by comparison. Incidentally now that Steggies get the Slann's Ld they are Ld9 Cold-blooded Stubborn with re-rolls due to Battle Standard and you can give them back wounds just by casting ANY spell? Yes please.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the summary is sligtly wrong. The basic spell for Life is the regen one and it starts at 5+ with Throne of Vines making it 4+. Much better and useful for every unit in he Lizardmen army, especially when combined with the extra Toughness for fun. I know this as I read the entire Lore today in GW before the staff member priedit from my hands.

Also, the possibility of a T10 Stegadon is worth it for sheer hilarity.

-PurchasedPig-

Solar_Eclipse
16-06-2010, 16:52
Unit of 50 Lothern Seaguard with a Life Archmage.

10x5 with Toughness 7 and 5+ regen, putting out 35 shots a turn and 51 always striking first attacks which usually reroll to hit.

Yowza...

OR, for ***** and giggles.

Use the Light Lore as a Vampire, make your zombies Initative 10 and WS10, Zombie Ninjas.

Vsurma
16-06-2010, 18:00
Rumination, full lore of fire slann as mentioned.
Same can be done with lore of death and banehead, assassinate all enemy characters.

Slann turning into a dragon 99% of the time below...

Although there still seems to be some confusion over whether or not RIP spells can be dispelled, atm I am thinking you cannot, if this is true the dragon spell is amazing.

Another rumor claims you get to keep your special rules while using the dragon, so a HE mage would get ASF thrown in for free (not a huge difference due to already high init but still)

That got me thinking, if I take a slann with regen I get a 4+ regen dragon.

I was thinking of adding to my army:
Slann mage priest, lore of beasts, full lore, regen, scroll of energy (IF on any double), forbidden staff. 395pts

Now this guy has a 4+ ward save, regeneration, adds d6 PD to 1 magic phase and has all the spells.

Basically the way I would run it, is run it wherever I want on turn 1, activate the one use energy scroll, throw 6 dice at the spell and turn into a dragon.

Since I get Irresistible force on any double, its almost impossible to NOT get IF, so it WILL turn into a dragon, now another rumor says RIP spells are just that, they RIP, no dispelling later. It adds d6 PD when I want, prob the first turn unless I already roll 10+ dice for the first magic phase. (tough to get less than 6 dice on 3d6)

So I get myself for 395pts a dragon of my choosing, I am partial to the Mountain chimera for its 4d6 attacks, W10 and S7. It can fly has its stomp attacks etc, supposedly even gets to keep the regen from the slann (if not drop the regen, 10 wounds on T7 should be fine!) (average of 17.5 S7 attacks......hatred.....)

Star dragon is 330pts and HAS to have a lord on it, I get the chimera for a tad more with no lord character needed to ride it.... (just one to turn into the dragon)

One of these rumors is probably not true as it sounds too good to be true.

fall3nang3l
16-06-2010, 18:02
What are your particular ideas for them? any tactics you want to share? good combos etc? something I snapped up pretty much immediately was this:

Forbidden Lore, Beasts
Beguile
Infinite Hatred
Power Stone
Armour of 4+ Ward Save
Magic Level 3

The idea is to transform yourself into a Greater Fire Dragon. When you do, you'll be able to with 8 WS8 S8 attacks re-roll misses and force a model in base contact to pass a -3 LD test or you get to re-roll wounds against it. You also have D6 crush attacks that are presumably S8 as well as an S5 breath weapon. On the defensive side, your 8 T8 wounds are augmented by a 2+ save that gets boosted to 1+ thanks to the armour and also a 4+ ward save.

In one round of combat taking the breath weapon into account you can put out 8 miss & potentially wound re-rollable S8 attacks + average 3/4 S8 presumably autohits + 2d6 S5 flaming hits. This guy would be able to take on the likes of Kholek without blinking.

This is much nastier than when any other army book does this because VC has the bloodline powers not only to guarantee getting the spell, but also to make it much more effective. Of course, every single opponent will always try his utmost to stop this spell from succeeding and then there's the danger of miscasting, but if you somehow succeed in casting this spell... :evilgrin:

my....god.... im going to run this at least once.

djkest
16-06-2010, 18:54
I don't know that anyone would want to play against your super-cheese vampire dragon. Also, I'm really not sure if this spell has even been confirmed yet?

Maybe 8th will be battle of the super-cheese dragons instead? Dark Elves could make an invincible dragon with the armor/ward save items.

Glen_Savet
16-06-2010, 19:58
I'd heard that you cannot use any items you may have purchased when you are transformed. Special rules still apply, but your ward saves from gear and magic attacks from magic weapons do not.

shartmatau
16-06-2010, 20:12
haven't seen the lores yet but i can only imagine what fateweaver will be like now.

D'Haran
16-06-2010, 20:13
Cheap mage + power scroll = nuke stick. Get into combat with an expensive piece and get that one spell off irresistibly, at the same time getting miscast and rolling on the chart. Worst case scenario you cast a killer spell and then caused a S10 hit on everything in b2b, best case scenario you're breaking out the large template or causing miscasts to alot of enemy mages... With no cap on the number of characters but merely the point cost some armies could afford to field several of these walking mage bombs. It'd probably go great with the O&G fluff too.

Vsurma
16-06-2010, 20:47
Lv1 or 2, with a lv1 you might get a buff rather than a hex, direct damage spells can't be cast into CC.

So your choice of lores is somewhat limited.

Also the chance of getting IF even with 6 dice is probably no more than 30% (since its around 20 for 4-5 dice)

Now you could of course enhance the tactic by taking a lv1 with the forbidden staff, IF on any double, now you roll 6 dice and your virtually guaranteed to IF and miscast. Though you do need 6 dice (5 will also do most of the time) which isn't guaranteed either.

kaintxu
16-06-2010, 21:29
fateweaver would be adding +6 to any rolls he makes, and will get D3+1 extra dices per fase, still i dont see it that powerfull, if you get 7 dice on average, your gonna use 2 to regen new dice, you dont wanna use just one cuz if you roll a 1 or a 2 bye bye casting for fateweaver, so your aiming at 2, to get 3 on average that leaves you on 8 dice to go with on average.

so having a +6 and the average of 2 dice being 7 thats a 13 which will cast allmost every spell (i have seen the magic card and the purple sun, which is the hardest spell from death, its just 15+) so you will be able to cast what? 3 or 4 spells per turn

I have been thinking also about the slann with whole lore, know all lore, cupper hands or the discipline to reroll mistcast, and the item for IF on any double = 275+45 (or 50) + 35 =355 and makes him safish from the loss of control or transfers it to another caster which would be great. all depends on RIP spells wording

Even better, a vampire, with forbidden lore, and the item = 180 so great deal

Anyhow i doubt RIP spell won't be able to be dispelled, i mean, im 100% certain (havent read the book just personal opinion) that they are going to be dispellable, if not just think of a curse of ages on a unit, will mean bye bye unit for certain

shartmatau
16-06-2010, 21:36
i was considering more that fate weaver has access to any combination of spells you want. so he could potentially run wild with crazy combinations of spells.

Paraelix
16-06-2010, 21:42
And all it takes is a single Law of Metal spell rolling a six, and your dragon becomes a large piece of Gold with no saves allowed.

Tae
16-06-2010, 23:06
And all it takes is a single Law of Metal spell rolling a six, and your dragon becomes a large piece of Gold with no saves allowed.

I do love that spell, even more so if it were to be used against the aforementioned Vampire army as it would cause all the nearby zombies to go "Braaaaaaain....ooh shiny!"

Paraelix
16-06-2010, 23:58
Oh. And you do not benefit from any magic items or wargear. Special rules only.

Mudkip
17-06-2010, 00:02
Why use an expensive vampire lord who pays hundreds of points for combat stats he won't be using, with items you probably won't even be able to benefit from once the spell is cast? The best candidate for the spell is a relatively cheap wizard with poor stats.

Personally I'm interested in the Life spell that could replace dead models for my Bretonnians knights.

Jack of Blades
17-06-2010, 01:12
Oh. And you do not benefit from any magic items or wargear. Special rules only.

Well that's a shame. No infinite hatred dragon? :(

Why use an expensive vampire lord who pays hundreds of points for combat stats he won't be using, with items you probably won't even be able to benefit from once the spell is cast? The best candidate for the spell is a relatively cheap wizard with poor stats.

This thought occurred to me too, but:
- You can't buy infinite hatred + forbidden lore with 50 points (irrelevant if only special rules count)
- It's a bit easier to get off with a lvl 3/4
- You can't get a power stone + armour of 4+ ward save with 50 points (again, irrelevant now)

None of these factors would be all too important on their own except for the infinite hatred thing, but together it makes it quite attractive to use a Lord for it. What about that +3 attacks +3 strength spell, do you get to use bloodline powers with it?

kaintxu
17-06-2010, 04:36
Infinite hatred is not an item or wargear is vampire power so you keep it.

I thinking of ethereal Slan-dragon :D with 4+ save from the shield

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 08:39
Most of the dragons have frenzy and/or hatred anyway.

The mountain chimera had pretty much every universal special rule that exists.

ethereal ward save slann seems mean.

ScytheSwathe
17-06-2010, 09:05
Basic shadow spell to reduce enemy initiative, followed by pit of shades. That one could hurt. Ld as strength would be nice too, especially on ASF spearmen :D

Your Mum Rang
17-06-2010, 12:42
O hai, I'm the Ring of Hotek. Enjoy your big spells.

(And if I have no mages on my side that Slaan must give it to an ally or himself)

HellRaid
17-06-2010, 16:11

Forbidden Lore, Beasts
Beguile
Infinite Hatred
Power Stone
Armour of 4+ Ward Save
Magic Level 3

Not running Red Fury with your greater fire dragon? I would. Turn your 9-14 S8 attacks + 2-12 S5 attacks into about 13-17 S8 attacks + 3-18 S5 attacks. Beguile is a waste since you'll be wounding almost everything on a 2+ anyway. It's just a shame you can't run Red Fury and Infinite Hatred on the same fire dragon... :P

Your item choice is solid, but I thought the wizard couldn't use items in dragon-form? I might be wrong, maybe it's just weapons they can't use.

Illiterate Scribe
17-06-2010, 16:26
What do people think old Kairos Fateweaver's going to be getting up to this edition? The ability to choose spells from across various lores should be pretty nice, and between power vortex heralds and the Blue Scribes, you can be reasonably sure of hitting that 12 powerdice ceiling quite often, so is the best option to go for a ton of megaspells and just generally tear the place up?

Jack of Blades
17-06-2010, 16:27
Not running Red Fury with your greater fire dragon? I would. Turn your 9-14 S8 attacks + 2-12 S5 attacks into about 13-17 S8 attacks + 3-18 S5 attacks. Beguile is a waste since you'll be wounding almost everything on a 2+ anyway. It's just a shame you can't run Red Fury and Infinite Hatred on the same fire dragon... :P

Your item choice is solid, but I thought the wizard couldn't use items in dragon-form? I might be wrong, maybe it's just weapons they can't use.

Well the thing is, let's say 4 of your attacks hit if you're up against something with WS8+ (ie. something that can match you). That means that no matter what, you can always get a maximum of 4 additional attacks. When the dust has cleared, the likelyness that you'll actually inflict 4 more wounds isn't big considering the greater availability of ward saves now. Statistically you'll then hit with 2 more attacks in the first place if you have infinite hatred instead of red fury, which basically means that after wound rolls and a 4+ ward save you'll average out 3 wounds. This is enough to kill most lord-level characters. Red Fury is imo only good if you can already ensure lots of hits and wounds in the first place, so for example it would shine on this setup:

Bloodbath Sword (+3 attacks)
The Other Rogue Shard (all models in btb re-roll successful saves)
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Beguile

Well I'm looking for a serious clarification on that as well. I don't think you can use magic items now but I don't know about bloodline powers, the only thing I know you get to keep is special rules.

On a completely unrelated sidenote, Dragon Mages just got completely screwed not only by general rule changes but also because FSoR is now a unit buff :p

duffybear1988
17-06-2010, 18:08
Ha... thats right charge your transformed wizard into combat with my dwarf warriors and BSB with standard of valaya. No remains in play now (I WIN) :D

ooglatjama
17-06-2010, 18:23
Vilich sounds very rageworthy, I will use him a lot more.

N810
17-06-2010, 18:28
Sorry guys, you can't turn a Slann into a draggon...
as he isn't clasified as a single model on foot (he's on a howda).

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 18:31
Ha... thats right charge your transformed wizard into combat with my dwarf warriors and BSB with standard of valaya. No remains in play now (I WIN) :D

If only there was another unit in the entire dwarf army I could reach with my flying dragon.....

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 18:32
Sorry guys, you can't turn a Slann into a draggon...
as he isn't clasified as a single model on foot (he's on a howda).

He is classified as infantry, that is the only classification for him I could find though.

I know he has a palaquin, but I think we might need more than that. I am not convinced one way or the other just yet.

shartmatau
17-06-2010, 18:56
the reference section in the last pages of the rulebook classifies every unit. I didnt check slann specifically but if he is infantry then he can use it.

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 19:39
I checked, he is. Though the spell doesn't say infantry can use the spell, but a caster on foot.

Whether these things are the same I am not sure.

fall3nang3l
17-06-2010, 19:43

actually, you wouldnt be able to take all of that. Forbidden lore and infinite hatred, with red fury is 10 points over the limit on vamp powers

Arkh
17-06-2010, 19:47
You all DO realize that the turn you charge in with your big dragon your opponent is going to dispel scroll the dragon effect in the magic phase and then mercilessly squish your mage in the combat phase.

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 21:19
Luckily dispel scrolls do not work that way, also they are 1 per army.

What they can and likely will do though is use their 2d6 PD to try and dispel your dragon.

Now they will need to get 5-6 dice for it to be worth trying, They won't always get it, but most of the time they will (60% or so)

They then need to roll at least average, depending on whether they are running a lv2 or a lv4, getting 16 on 6 dice isn't too hard.

Still, it isn't in any way guaranteed, 60% chance to get the dice, maybe 80% chance of success if they do get 6, its about a 50/50 shot really for both to go right, as far as I know there is no double 1= fail to dispel, though they may have been a double 6 = auto dispel, just like it is a IF to cast.

Still, they cannot make the dragons too hard to dispel, the mountain dragon has 4d6 attacks on ws7 S7, followed by d6 stomp hits on S7 AND 2d6 S4 hits from the breath weapon!

17.5 S7 hits
7 S4 hits on average!

I think it is still dangerous!

If your army has a "dragon delivery system" such as 2pt slaves or even 5pt goblins, which you can take a unit of say 50, your golden.

If you get the charge, turn yourself into a dragon, the enemy will run because they lose combat by oh say....a lot!

If you are then dispelled, no matter how many of your unit the enemy kills your still stubborn and hopefully your mage is safely in a not too devastating challenge. Potion of toughness or healing will help to keep it alive.

Then you cast the spell again.

I am not sure if we can really turn the dragon into a reliable game winning model (would be a tad annoying if it could tbh) but I do see it doing some damage.

Power scroll for IF on any double, 6 dice at the spell and your almost guaranteed to turn into a dragon. Charge in the same turn before casting and you get at least 1 turn of dragon fun out of it, more if the enemy fails to get enough PD to dispel it later or just fluffs the roll.

How many turns do you think you should really be getting out of this beast?

Btw, it does seem like it may be possible to take a ethereal dragon with lizardmen...with a 4+ ward save to boot (which is nice considering the mountain dragon has no save)

Seems a bit mean though (possibly not the way it works, I could be wrong)

shartmatau
17-06-2010, 22:08
im looking forward to this happening and it goes off irresistably, he turns into a dragon but slaughters half his unit doing so. these are things i am going to like about magic in this new edition. Even when things really go your way you get clunked in the head by tzeentch for being too magical. :)

edit: did anyone read this spell? does it physically change the guy into a dragon, so you would have to have a dragon to replace the model with? what happens to guys in his unit?

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 22:42
That is why the "dragon delivery system" unit is full of 2pt models (at least ideally)

The transformation spell specifically states that the newly formed dragon is placed within the unit despite monstrous flyers normally not being allowed too, in this case they are able to do so. Moving other models to make room for the dragon.

As for the model, the spell at least implies that you need a dragon model, can't remember if it explicitly states it.

Marshal Torrick
17-06-2010, 23:15
Vamps can do the Ethereal dragon thing too :) Sounds highly fun, but I'd be trying to cast the big spell on only a level 3 caster...Guess I better roll high.

kaintxu
17-06-2010, 23:40
I checked, he is. Though the spell doesn't say infantry can use the spell, but a caster on foot.

Whether these things are the same I am not sure.

The palanquin does not count as a mount, it has no stats, nor adds any attacks nor anything.

I would not discuss if you told me he was monstruos infantry or something like that, but if he is infantry i guess he does count as eing on foot.

from wordreference:

"infantry, foot
an army unit consisting of soldiers who fight on foot; "there came ten thousand horsemen and as many fully-armed foot" "

Sappysid101
18-06-2010, 00:00
Now they will need to get 5-6 dice for it to be worth trying, They won't always get it, but most of the time they will (60% or so)

They then need to roll at least average, depending on whether they are running a lv2 or a lv4, getting 16 on 6 dice isn't too hard.

You know most high elves will be running with +6 to dispell right? i'll eat your dragons pathetic casting value and munch on that wizards after easy. Case closed? It's hardly an OP spell when you consider the amount of points and effort(?) that some people are thinking about throwing into a dragon...

- Sid

ScytheSwathe
18-06-2010, 00:40
To be honest im sure theres more brutal combos to be found in the magic section, without concentrating on making wizards bigger.

Amynotoks web(light)/ -S spell (shadows) or soulrot (death)
Purple sun (death) any magic heavy army (free dice for all!)

I think generally magic heavy lists will want a combination of shadow and death for their wizards/mages. Free dice from death to sustain the magic phase, dancing wizards to where you want them, courtesy of shadows. Stat modifiers FTW. Granted both the big spells work on I tests, so no good against elves, but with plenty of other spells to keep you busy, and it doesnt take much of a strength or T modifier to nobble an elf army.

Suspect metal will be a good lore too, so not much changing from my perspective.

I think the real fun will come with 'stable allies' adding their lores to the mix

kaintxu
18-06-2010, 05:39
too much I test, my lizards are screwed

Vsurma
18-06-2010, 06:36
You know most high elves will be running with +6 to dispell right? i'll eat your dragons pathetic casting value and munch on that wizards after easy. Case closed? It's hardly an OP spell when you consider the amount of points and effort(?) that some people are thinking about throwing into a dragon...

- Sid

Ok, 6+ to dispel, that is nice, average on 4 dice is 14, so what, you dispel it 55-60% of the time (in my head, didn't actually do the math)

You STILL want 5-6 dice even with your +6, though you might feel safer with 5 than most without such a dispel buff.

Well it is true, sort of, most people that want to try and run the dragon as some kind of serious build are using a lord to cast it. The ideal use would be a lv2 who happens to get the spell, but it does use your entire magic phases dice and can be dispelled.

Still, I wouldn't want the dragon to be the best way to win in a game, can you imagine 5 years of people just rolling for the dragon spell to see who wins! I think I already have a fairly decent strat to get the dragon to work as it is.

Vsurma
18-06-2010, 06:39
To be honest im sure theres more brutal combos to be found in the magic section, without concentrating on making wizards bigger.

Amynotoks web(light)/ -S spell (shadows) or soulrot (death)
Purple sun (death) any magic heavy army (free dice for all!)

I think generally magic heavy lists will want a combination of shadow and death for their wizards/mages. Free dice from death to sustain the magic phase, dancing wizards to where you want them, courtesy of shadows. Stat modifiers FTW. Granted both the big spells work on I tests, so no good against elves, but with plenty of other spells to keep you busy, and it doesnt take much of a strength or T modifier to nobble an elf army.

Suspect metal will be a good lore too, so not much changing from my perspective.

I think the real fun will come with 'stable allies' adding their lores to the mix

Ooh allies nice! I imagine high elves will be popular for their magic!

Yea that purple sun will be nice, if the enemy cannot dispel it, if they can you lose your entire phase though since it has a fairly high casting cost.

Allonairre
18-06-2010, 09:07
Magic will be interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I am surprised by some of the spells as one of the issues that I thought they would try to address is the "power-gaming" that is associated with the magic phase.

The dominance of Teclis and Kairos in the previous editions "hard" lists, but if you are looking at the magic phase and thinking about a dragon you are being very narrow minded, it's cool but most combats, even with high strength and re-rolls is a risk. (Savage Orc Warboss with 9 attacks at Strength 8 still failed to kill a swordmaster champion in a challenge).

A level 4 with Lore of Death backed up by a couple of low level casters seems to me to be the best option, every wound potentially gives new dice to cast with. Give that Lore to Teclis (assuming he isn't forced to take High magic since you pick a lore for the mage before the game) and I would back him to cast 4 spells a phase most with Irresistable Force, back that up with another L1 with shadow to switch Teclis out when things get hairy and I can't see much touching him.

I am a bit worried about the number of games that could be won by a level 1 mage rolling a great spell and getting irressistable force, (ie dumb luck).

Archangelion
19-06-2010, 01:55
...doesn't irresistable force also mean that you have lost control of the spell... meaning you might kill yourself, and friends?

shartmatau
19-06-2010, 02:28
yes, irresistable force also causes a miscast roll. the spell goes off and you roll to see what happens as the magical energies are too much to handle. the entire miscast chart is new, and all of it is bad (for the caster and anyone nearby)

LKHERO
19-06-2010, 08:24
The Dragon spell doesn't really scare me at all :(

You turn into a Dragon, big deal. Throw PD at it in your phase to dispel it if he plays far back (which is fine because he's not using his Dragon), or scroll it on your turn and just gank the Lord/caster if he gets too close.