PDA

View Full Version : 8th edition rulebook youtube review

McBaine
16-06-2010, 10:49
I have nothing to do with this one, I just copied a link from another forum, but I thought some of you might be interested (if you dont get to look at it at a store near you anyways).
I hope this was not already posted anywhere here.
Enjoy.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL9MGlQWBJk&feature=player_embedded)

mdiscala
16-06-2010, 11:50
cool thanks man

Ultimate Life Form
16-06-2010, 11:56
What kind of ********* would compare the size of a Warhammer Fantasy book to a 40K tank? :wtf:

danny-d-b
16-06-2010, 12:28
well there isn't rearly anything that thick in the fantasy section is there. have to say the book looks very impressive however one again the thing seems to be that the avrage game is going to be nearer 4-5k now, 2k will be a skermish with the ammount of dammage being done and the blocks being that much bigger

willowdark
16-06-2010, 12:33
Hard not to be impressed by that book. The scenery and battle photos are, well, stunning.

Galatan
16-06-2010, 12:34
What kind of ********* would compare the size of a Warhammer Fantasy book to a 40K tank? :wtf:

Do you know anything in fantasy that would make a good comparison model? A land raider is something most people have seen and is shaped like a box, thus making it easier to use as a comparison than say...a giant or a stegadon.

Anyways, not really a review in my eyes. It's more like a hands-on or a rundown, but hey, it made me want the book even more. Can't wait to start fantasy again with 8th.

Ultimate Life Form
16-06-2010, 12:41
Do you know anything in fantasy that would make a good comparison model?

Hrm, what about the 7th Edition BRB? I'd argue more Fantasy players have seen this than this abominable Landraider (including myself).

Galatan
16-06-2010, 13:00
Hrm, what about the 7th Edition BRB? I'd argue more Fantasy players have seen this than this abominable Landraider (including myself).
Wait! What? But that would be a logical comparison, we can't have something like that in a warhammer related discussion :P .

Gurunty
16-06-2010, 13:10
Scenario: Loot and Pillage (Oi, that's my ale!), lol

logan054
16-06-2010, 13:24
I have to say i think the book actually looks really damn good! arg, thats my monthly budget down the toilet i guess :(

willowdark
16-06-2010, 13:31
I'm lucky if I can spend that much on Warhammer in 3 months. Hell! ...6 months!

Ultimate Life Form
16-06-2010, 13:32
In that case I suggest you wait for the small book from Island of Blood that is also bound to appear on ebay.

willowdark
16-06-2010, 13:35
Well, I'm not under any illusions. I know its an expensive hobby, and I can usually work some magic to get what I need.

I think the book might be worth it. And I think I have some points saved up with my LGS.

EmperorNorton
16-06-2010, 13:44
Great, so it's 100+ pages of rehashed fluff and 100+ pages of miniature showcase, a.k.a. a catalogue.
And I just spent 100€ for the Collector's Edition of that. Booyah!

CaptainFaramir
16-06-2010, 13:49
Hmm... in special rules "Hover"... EXCITED! :)

Llew
16-06-2010, 13:57
I can honestly say that I've never seen an assembled Landraider, so it's a bad point of comparison for me. Comparing it to the previous edition would have bordered on brilliant.

Barring that, movement trays, a red measuring stick, a template....you know...things Fantasy players would have seen.

The production value on this book looks fantastic. The additional scenarios in the various race sections are interesting too. One of the nicest small touches is the colored page ends that divide the rules by section. That alone will make this book far easier to reference than previous editions.

Overall, $75 is a tough price for a basic rulebook, but it looks like they've put a nice product together for that.

Latro_
16-06-2010, 14:03

hehe you gave me my warseer chuckle for the day.

plantagenet
16-06-2010, 15:06
If you are in US you should order from Maelstromgames.co.uk with the great exchange rate and the fact that they deliver to your door for free you can ge the book for 60 dollars....

ChaosVC
16-06-2010, 15:20
I like what I see...now the real question is, the quality of the binding.

Lordy
16-06-2010, 15:31
PDF can't be far away but i certainly wouldn't download it!

Galatan
16-06-2010, 16:34

I thought the binding quality was always only an army book issue? IMO the rulebooks have always been the best in terms of binding quality when it comes to GW books. Not that I know any better, of all en army books/codex I've got since warhammer 5th/40k 2nd edition, I've only had problems with the latest marine codex (which in the opinion of a few should be burnt arnyway:rolleyes:).

jet_palero
16-06-2010, 16:47
I have nothing to do with this one, I just copied a link from another forum, but I thought some of you might be interested (if you dont get to look at it at a store near you anyways).
I hope this was not already posted anywhere here.
Enjoy.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL9MGlQWBJk&feature=player_embedded)

Nice.

Hmmm, think I'll send this down to forensics.

Enhance!

Witchblade
16-06-2010, 16:57
Wow, I am less than impressed. 100 pages of catalogue... 50 pages of reference... 50% of the book is pictures. Do they actually advance the fluff? If it's just 300 pages of regurgitated stories, I'm waiting for the pdf/mini-rulebook.

explorator
16-06-2010, 17:46
I thought the binding quality was always only an army book issue? IMO the rulebooks have always been the best in terms of binding quality when it comes to GW books. Not that I know any better, of all en army books/codex I've got since warhammer 5th/40k 2nd edition, I've only had problems with the latest marine codex (which in the opinion of a few should be burnt arnyway:rolleyes:).

The binding on my 7th ed. Hardback BRB fell apart after the book was knocked off the side of a gaming table. Very shoddy and disappointing. It would be a pity if this new tome had the same weakness.

KrisPicman
16-06-2010, 23:56
kudos on the post. you sir have single handedly spent about a quarter of my paycheck with this post lol.

ashc
17-06-2010, 00:05
I did laugh at 'It's 7th on steroids'...

Mictlan
17-06-2010, 00:09
I hate to be "that guy" but at mark 3:12 of the video, on the left page ilustrating frenzy, is that a new rat ogre? an old miniature of other army i am unable to identify? am i too obssessed about skavens at this point?

StormCrow
17-06-2010, 01:10
I'm pretty sure it's a savage orc.

Nice video, looks like there's some real quality ideas in that book. Especially like the legendary units...could we finally see some form of fantasy apocalypse in the near future?!

brynolf
17-06-2010, 01:23
Argh, why all the fluff and filler? That book must weigh in at several kilos... But looking goood. Very excited!

dragonet111
17-06-2010, 07:08
Thanks for the link.

My nearest store is pretty far from my home so I usually wait the release date to see the books.

I don't know what will be 8ed on the gaming side but the books looks amazing IMO. I hope the binding are good too, I love books and it's always sad when beautiful books fall apart.

Ozorik
17-06-2010, 08:04
Great, so it's 100+ pages of rehashed fluff and 100+ pages of miniature showcase, a.k.a. a catalogue.
And I just spent 100€ for the Collector's Edition of that. Booyah!

What did you expect? :)

Not a very good review to be honest, he really needs to learn his script better.

50 pages of references? Thats not a reference section for a wargame, thats a rule book in its own right.

EmperorNorton
17-06-2010, 08:09
What did you expect? :)
Some actual content, I guess.

Ozorik
17-06-2010, 08:22
:)

There is a very good reason why I am waiting for the mini rule book.

Ramius4
17-06-2010, 08:23
I'm lucky if I can spend that much on Warhammer in 3 months. Hell! ...6 months!

Since the price of the starter set should be roughly the same as this book, does it really matter?

geldedgoat
17-06-2010, 08:26
Not a very good review to be honest, he really needs to learn his script better.

That's because it wasn't a review; it was an overview. I saw this earlier on the Bell of Lost Souls website and was really let down, expecting a decent review and instead getting a basement-dweller drooling on himself as his flips wildly through the new book.

Latro_
17-06-2010, 16:19
hehe to be fair tis a bols review, fantasy isnt a biggie for them.

Now if it was new 40k, their blog'd be littered with the most broken combos, exploits, win at all costs reviews on an hourly basis.

Plagueridden
17-06-2010, 18:41
hmmm, looks more like a giant white dwarf to me.
was really expecting tons more for that kind of buck imho.

Plagueridden
17-06-2010, 18:43
And I just spent 100 for the Collector's Edition of that. Booyah!

sell it on ebay mate, bound to get more buck for it ;)

Urgat
17-06-2010, 19:09
Now what I want to know is... devastating charge?

Ozorik
17-06-2010, 19:37
Since the price of the starter set should be roughly the same as this book, does it really matter?

It will be much cheaper on Ebay.

McBaine
17-06-2010, 21:23
Now what I want to know is... devastating charge?
+1 attack on the charge IIrc

LevDaddy
17-06-2010, 22:10
Nice little video.

It would've been better if the presenter had some sort of, how should I say....personality? Speaking skills? "uuuhhhhh.....uhhhh....uhhh". But good to see the book on video, nevertheless. I found myself squinting trying to sneak in some content.

Slyphor
18-06-2010, 02:00
aside from the obviously evil price of the monstrosity (I don't need my diagrams in color to understand them, thanks), did anyone at GW think: "people will want to use this gaming rulebook for GAMING?"

If they had considered the pragmatics of what the item was to be used for, they never would have made it so embarrassingly big. Classic design problem.

ChaosVC
18-06-2010, 04:20
aside from the obviously evil price of the monstrosity (I don't need my diagrams in color to understand them, thanks), did anyone at GW think: "people will want to use this gaming rulebook for GAMING?"

If they had considered the pragmatics of what the item was to be used for, they never would have made it so embarrassingly big. Classic design problem.

Its a collectables, the rules are as useful as yesterday toilet paper. Most people would simply rely on a friends copy or the smaller ones you can get from buying starter sets.

Slyphor
18-06-2010, 12:52
Its a collectables, the rules are as useful as yesterday toilet paper. Most people would simply rely on a friends copy or the smaller ones you can get from buying starter sets.

I don't see it as such. Perhaps some like to collect the rulebooks, but I like to collect the miniatures. If you are getting one of the "collectible" editions with brass faceplate, etc, then more power to you. If you want the book to learn and refer to the rules, they should make an edition for people who want to use it this way, and don't need to buy a starter set, which I feel is a fair comment. I will probably be relying on a pdf copy, but if I had access to something reasonable, I would certainly buy it.

Gork or Possibly Mork
18-06-2010, 13:09
I don't see it as such. Perhaps some like to collect the rulebooks, but I like to collect the miniatures. If you are getting one of the "collectible" editions with brass faceplate, etc, then more power to you. If you want the book to learn and refer to the rules, they should make an edition for people who want to use it this way, and don't need to buy a starter set, which I feel is a fair comment. I will probably be relying on a pdf copy, but if I had access to something reasonable, I would certainly buy it.

They're making a pdf copy?

ChaosVC
18-06-2010, 13:13
They're making a pdf copy?

Shhhh...not so loud.

Spiney Norman
18-06-2010, 14:57
well I guess we now know how they managed to pump the BRB up to 500+ pages, make every other page a full colour artwork and bingo.

My guess is they just cut all the background from the current army books and printed in the background section? Well it'll be nice to have all the stuff from the books I don't own.

ChaosVC
18-06-2010, 15:00
Which is good for people like me who don't own all the army books.

Slyphor
19-06-2010, 01:11
Shhhh...not so loud.

Might be foolish of me, but if anyone from GW reads this (as if), I want them to know that I would have been happy to buy the book if it had been reasonably priced, and all they had to do to achieve this was: b&w, soft cover, no fluff. I want to read, absorb and occasionally refer, not snuggle up in front of the fireplace with a warm cocoa and my BRB for days on end.

Stephen Fry makes a great argument that young, (relatively) poor people steal music because they can't afford to pay for it in the quantities they consume, but that if they could afford it (as they can when they age), they would buy it legally (which they do, eventually). I think his argument holds water here too.

Tron
19-06-2010, 01:21
well there isn't rearly anything that thick in the fantasy section is there. have to say the book looks very impressive however one again the thing seems to be that the avrage game is going to be nearer 4-5k now, 2k will be a skermish with the ammount of dammage being done and the blocks being that much bigger

Well if the new standard games will be 4-5k then the minis must get cheaper, right? If not it will take a small fortune to take part in the new "normal" games. That seems kind of weird since they want to aim it at "younger kids", by making the game easier to play.

UberBeast
19-06-2010, 01:27
It's neat that they tried to provide so much stuff in one book, but it's really too huge to be conveniently portable. Also, it's clear that well over half of the pages in there should have been put in a copendium, WD article, or should have been left out entirely. Do we really need a picture of every model they make for the game when half of it will be updated before a couple of years pass?

I like a lot of the extra stuff in there, but I'd be much happier with a cheap mini-rulebook. I could beat an adult raccoon to death with this book!

Gork or Possibly Mork
19-06-2010, 05:22
I guess my biggest gripe with the new book is I'd like to have a bare bones players edition with just the rules and the nice diagrams. I don't need 100+ pages of models and big artwork/model spreads every other page and another 100+ pages for fluff. Although I do enjoy reading fluff and I like artwork. Im not into pages and pages of models though.

It makes me wanna rip out everything but the rules and put them in a laminated portfolio. Do the same for fluff + artwork and throw the models pages in the garbage.

75 bucks is alot for a friggen book and it feels a little wasted when about a third of it is just a catalog.

I think they should have made three versions like this.

1. Bare Bones Edtion ( just the rules in paperback.)
2. Hard Cover Edition ( Bare Bones+Fluff. )
3. Collectors Edition with all the bells and whistles.

I guess what Im saying is those hundred pages on models could have been better spent. More senarios, campaign stuff etc.

Storak
19-06-2010, 08:49
I guess my biggest gripe with the new book is I'd like to have a bare bones players edition with just the rules and the nice diagrams. I don't need 100+ pages of models and big artwork/model spreads every other page and another 100+ pages for fluff. Although I do enjoy reading fluff and I like artwork. Im not into pages and pages of models though.

It makes me wanna rip out everything but the rules and put them in a laminated portfolio. Do the same for fluff + artwork and throw the models pages in the garbage.

75 bucks is alot for a friggen book and it feels a little wasted when about a third of it is just a catalog.

I think they should have made three versions like this.

1. Bare Bones Edtion ( just the rules in paperback.)
2. Hard Cover Edition ( Bare Bones+Fluff. )
3. Collectors Edition with all the bells and whistles.

I guess what Im saying is those hundred pages on models could have been better spent. More senarios, campaign stuff etc.

well, i agree. 250% or something around that.

the bigger book is simply worse to handle, when you need it.

Eta
19-06-2010, 09:29

The binding could be a lottery again. A friend picked the book up in store as one of the first people to flip through it and as he openend the book three pages were sailing down to the floor ;)

Greetings
Eta

Crovax20
19-06-2010, 12:20
video is private :(

Ultimate Life Form
19-06-2010, 16:00

Don't worry, you didn't miss much. Like, at all.

Brimweave
19-06-2010, 16:51

Ahhhhh, I wonder why it was asking me for a youtube login. Maybe they could instead say why I had to log in before I did and not just direct me to a generic login screen.