PDA

View Full Version : Looking into 40K, but I have an important question...

HRM
16-06-2010, 11:22
... Which 40K army has the most options manufactured for it by the company, model-wise? I'm going to assume Marines, but who else has most of it's stuff in production? I really think I'd like to give the Tau a shot, as they look cool as balls, but I've heard that their model range is limited... And I have neither the time, skill nor inclination for conversions.

This may seem like an odd way of choosing an army, but you gotta understand - I'm crossing over from War Of The Ring, where VERY few units are model-less.

Thanks in advance!

Godzooky
16-06-2010, 11:25
Hi,

In my opinion you're correct about marines. Although, I'd say orks and IG tie for the next most comprehensive model ranges. And lots of those are plastic.

Hypaspist
16-06-2010, 11:27
Well Space Marines (you are quite correct) have an extensive Range, with a large amount of it plastic.
The other army with probably the highest range of models (and again mostly plastic) is probably Orks in all truth.

stealthedit: damn that lizardy-green Ninja! :)

Zweischneid
16-06-2010, 11:28
... Which 40K army has the most options manufactured for it by the company, model-wise? I'm going to assume Marines, but who else has most of it's stuff in production? I really think I'd like to give the Tau a shot, as they look cool as balls, but I've heard that their model range is limited... And I have neither the time, skill nor inclination for conversions.

This may seem like an odd way of choosing an army, but you gotta understand - I'm crossing over from War Of The Ring, where VERY few units are model-less.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm.

Marines certainly have more stuff out.. though there are some things without models yet, especially in the Space Wolves and Blood Angels Codex.

As far as Tau go, there is certainly less stuff all round if compared to the massive Space Marine range, but I do think that everything in the basic Tau Codex does, as far as I remember out of my head, has a model in production.

So you will not really need to plan for a DIY Stormraven or Thunderwolf cavalry when collecting Tau if that is your fear.

Ba'al Starslayer
16-06-2010, 11:30
If it's Tau you're after, then go for it. I cannot actually think of units and/or options that aren't represented in their army, and they do have one of the coolest model ranges going!

sigur
16-06-2010, 11:34

The same is the case with 40k. Just go for Tau, they have a pretty diverse minis range.

IG and Orks also have loads of minis. With Space Marines you have to keep in mind that a.) the miniatures will all look alike because....well, it's Space Marines and they all wear the same armour and b.) It's different chapters so don't get overly excited with the wide range of minis.

AndrewGPaul
16-06-2010, 11:40
I suppose a better question would be "which armies have options in the Codex not represented by available miniatures?". You could expand that definition to include easily-available proxies or unit options which can be built from existing plastic kits (e.g. Imperial Guard penal legion - I think you get sufficient spare laspistol and CCW arms in the Catachan kits to build a squad of Penal legion, for example).

Off the top of my head, I don't know the answer to that. Space Wolves are obviously missing Fenrisian Wolves and Thunderwolf Cavalry, and there is as yet no Storm Raven available for Blood Angels. I think all the Imperial Guard tanks are available if you include Forgeworld vehicles.

Bunnahabhain
16-06-2010, 12:36
It depends how competitive you wish to be.

Guard and Orks have have almost everything easily available. Some minor conversions are needed - ie the Guard Vendetta is only available as a weapon swap conversion kit for the standard Valkyrie in store. FW also have many bits for them.

Tau have a virtually complete range, although they are currently a weak arrmy. Eldar have a fairly full range, although you'll have to convert a jetbike seer council ( 'the' internet strong list for them)

Marines are marines. Most things are available, although some will need to be borrowed from another chapter. The only things 'missing' are a couple of the things introduced for the first time in the new blood angel and space wolf codexs. The assualt on the background ones....

megatrons2nd
16-06-2010, 13:32
The only thing I can think of that the Tau do not have an option for is the Targeting Array for the Battlesuits. I am just using the old Multi-Tracker/Drone Controller bit, with all those lenses it looks like a targeter. The Target Lock could probably work as well.

LordManimal
16-06-2010, 15:19
Not enough Tau players in my area, that's for sure. Personally, I feel like fire warrior teams, on a properly setup battlefield (meaning lots of cover!) are probably the best shooting force in the game, when you compare cost to effectiveness. It also seems like their entire line is available, and additionally, almost any mecha toys can be substituted for battlesuits etc; not that there's any reason to. The Battlesuits are a work of art.

Sai-Lauren
16-06-2010, 16:23
It's probably worthwhile doing a list of anything that can't be achieved with either a striaght forward purchase, a counts as, or a minor conversion (head/weapon swap).

For example, for Eldar, I think the only thing missing is a Warlock/ Farseer on Jetbike.

Dwane Diblie
16-06-2010, 16:48
I think there are only 2 armies with compleate model ranges available to them with out convertion. Tau and Necrons. I could be missing somting though. Anyway both are old and will probably have their unit entrys expanded apon next codex release like exery other codex that has been released this edition.

That being said, most other codexes only need convertions for bike mounted HQs.

HRM
16-06-2010, 23:34
Very good, excellent! Tau it's gonna be - Fire Warriors and the lil' hovering gun-drone thingies look awesome!

I guess the next step is to buy the rulebook and try and watch a few games. Thanks, all!

SteelTitan
16-06-2010, 23:41
If only GW made the same Tau battlesuits as Forgeworld...then i might consider Tau :rolleyes:

Lord Asgul
16-06-2010, 23:47
Technically speaking...Chaos has the largest model range, but you have to convert them to look more chaotic

sigur
16-06-2010, 23:53
Very good, excellent! Tau it's gonna be - Fire Warriors and the lil' hovering gun-drone thingies look awesome!

I guess the next step is to buy the rulebook and try and watch a few games. Thanks, all!

Have fun! :)

eyescrossed
17-06-2010, 03:03
If only GW made the same Tau battlesuits as Forgeworld...then i might consider Tau :rolleyes:

Agreed. I love the FW Battlesuits but they're ridiculously expensive.