PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Khazad Guard Unit -- Your Thoughts

Shrapnelsmile
16-06-2010, 15:42
Greetings,

My thoughts on how to add an affordable Khazard Guard of 4 companies to my army is to:

Buy the Khazard Guard box (9 models) and paint them with all gold armor, as well as taking 3 companies of my Dwarves with Two Handed Weapons and painting them in gold armor as well.
Combined together I have 32 models, all in gold, with 8 of them having the face plates. If I wanted to spring for a shield guy, that would be 9 in face plates.
If the rest of my dwarves are in metal (i.e., Boltgun Metal) armour with silver highlights, do you thing this plan would make a decent looking Khazad Guard. There is just no other way to do them on a budget, and I don't want to green-stuff face plates. No way.

But, and this in an important question, am I going to seriously miss those Dwarves with Two Handed Weapons in my army list?

lorelorn
17-06-2010, 14:42
Yes, that's a fine way to make Khazad Guard.

Yes, you will miss having dwarf warriors with great weapons, unless you want to buy another four boxes of dwarfs...

Shrapnelsmile
17-06-2010, 15:24
Yes, that's a fine way to make Khazad Guard.

Yes, you will miss having dwarf warriors with great weapons, unless you want to buy another four boxes of dwarfs...
Hey Lore,

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to think long and hard about what to go with during my first 1,500 points or so.
I'll post my revised list in a seperate thread.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will have Rangers with two-handed weapons, so perhaps that will suffice.

LarryLimerick
18-06-2010, 03:49
I think that sound like a pretty good idea, it could pretty costly to make up units of metal Khazad guard.

lorelorn
18-06-2010, 05:05
Rangers should go fine, depending on your opponent, since they are more vulnerable to S1 and S3 attacks, but S2 and S4 it makes no difference. So they are just the same fighting against Morannon Orcs and Uruk-hai (and dwarves!) for example

Shrapnelsmile
18-06-2010, 06:49
My opponent is Haradrim, and sometimes you have to go with what you can use model-wise, so this sounds like a plan.

Gondor fan!!!
20-06-2010, 08:27
I do Gondor. I like Knights of Dol Amroth but they too are not within the price range but that doesn't stop me. I just slowly save up (with the little money I get) and by some after a couple of months of saving. To me strategy is not the main key but rather presentation.

spiderman5z
21-06-2010, 03:12
im sure dwarves with two handers will work fine and possibly take the shields off of regular dwarves and do a little converting on the axes to make them longer

indytims
22-06-2010, 01:14
I've not met an opponent who can really tell the difference between a Khazad-Guard and a regular warrior with 2-handed weapon - unless they pick up the figs and look closesly.

I would think you'd be fine! :)

Love K-Guard in WotR, though... one of my favorite units! :)

-Tim S.