PDA

View Full Version : Skirmishers in 8th

Arkh
16-06-2010, 17:16
I had a random thought yesterday and decided that I should share it. I have a sneaking suspicion that in the army erratas, skirmishing units of the different flavors are going to go down in points, even if only by a point or two. Otherwise it seems that a lot of skirmishing units throughout the game are going to get benched.

Anybody else think this is possible? Or is the errata strictly going to be used to fix the things that clearly don't jive with 8th edition...

Witchblade
16-06-2010, 17:19
You have a sneaking suspicion...

Hannimar
16-06-2010, 17:25
a 'sneaking suspicion' may be even better than a cunning plan :D

Somebody mentioned that the errata are more like a FAQ for different armies. I doubt any point changes.

willowdark
16-06-2010, 17:28
There is the persistent WE Rumour about being Stubborn in Woods. Since most units can move freely through woods this seems like an obvious attempt to make up for an obvious nerf that goes a little too far. That's a serious precedent, if it proves true.

Still, I'm holding my breath.

Atrahasis
16-06-2010, 17:44
All skirmishers are steadfast in woods - that's a main rulebook woods rule, not a WE special rule.

Ranked units are never steadfast in woods.

willowdark
16-06-2010, 17:50
Did you see that in the book? GSF was clear that he thought that was all skirmishers and then retracted it. He's said several times that it was a WE rule that's being put in the Errata.

Shiodome
16-06-2010, 17:52
It's a global rule. All skirmishers are stubborn in woods. Also, all skirmishers can always march and shoot (not to say they can't be march blocked), which is making me look at wood elf scouts a lot more closely.

willowdark
16-06-2010, 17:55
That makes Shades a lot more attractive in a Forest bunker. A missile base that's Stubborn and I5 with 2 hand weapons could be a powerful unit.

Most of the Rumours were making Shades look unplayable.

Hawkkf
16-06-2010, 18:07
Skink Skirmishers with Jav and shield may be worth trying out. Javelins are now 12" and can always stand and shoot. That gives them an effective range of 24" Plus, they get hw&s in hth. Still a unit of 10 are 80pts and still only T2. I think I will try out a few units of them and see how effective they are.

One thing that is worrysome is that blowpipes were left out of the main rulebook so they are at the mercy of an FAQ to see how usefull they are with -1 to shoot and -1 for multishot still in effect compared to the new javelins.

ALso I only got to glance at the terrain section, but it still sounds risky to enter the woods these days.. anyone have a clarification on how the different wood types work? I believe they all make skirmishers the equivalent of stubborn, negate ranked infantry stubborn equivalent, pose no movement penalty, but still add a -1 to be shot at while in woods (does this also effect shooting while in woods?). The only reason I ask this in this thread is that woods affect skirmishers more than any other unit.

Shiodome
16-06-2010, 18:38
from what i can remember, with woods the first time a unit enters a wood, or when a unit is deployed in a wood for the first time roll d6.

i can't remember the order but the options i do remember are:
on a 6, the wood is normal
1 result makes the attacks of anything in the wood poisoned (didn't check if this affected shooting)
1 result means the wood moves 2d6" each turn
1 result every model in wood takes a str3 hit at end of movement phase
1 result makes every unit in the wood cause fear.
can't remember the last result.

Zoolander
16-06-2010, 21:54
from what i can remember, with woods the first time a unit enters a wood, or when a unit is deployed in a wood for the first time roll d6.

i can't remember the order but the options i do remember are:
on a 6, the wood is normal
1 result makes the attacks of anything in the wood poisoned (didn't check if this affected shooting)
1 result means the wood moves 2d6" each turn
1 result every model in wood takes a str3 hit at end of movement phase
1 result makes every unit in the wood cause fear.
can't remember the last result.

That's only if a "mysterious wood" is rolled when setting up terrain. If you roll a normal forest, it's a normal forest.

Paraelix
16-06-2010, 22:08
Can someone clarify for me... Are skirmishers getting rank bonuses now?

Atrahasis
16-06-2010, 22:08
No, they always count as having zero ranks.

RanaldLoec
16-06-2010, 22:17
my poor wood elves I'm going to advance order my copy tomorrow then sit down and have a right good read of the store copy my empire seem to be coming out of the rule changes alot stronger my woodies just seem to suffer even more.

Bjornas
17-06-2010, 01:21
Could anyone please clarify the distance between models for me? Is it one inch like the rumour roundup says?

Shiodome
17-06-2010, 01:23
it was pretty vague actually, i'm fairly sure the wording was "about half an inch" (yes, that vague...).

Tarliyn
17-06-2010, 02:01
I won't be taking my skink skirmishers anymore, I am going to see how the ranked skinks work as screens now they are cheaper and come with javelins/shield

SideshowLucifer
17-06-2010, 04:05
Marching and shooting is going to be pretty big for some skirmishers.
I also like the Scout rule now and the Vanguard rules.

Mach_5
17-06-2010, 05:01
it was pretty vague actually, i'm fairly sure the wording was "about half an inch" (yes, that vague...).

Yeah, although the way they rank up to charge it wouldn't matter if they were 1/4in or 2in, they just close in around the center of the front rank before measuring charge distance.

I didn't see anything abut how they receive charges though... I assume they rank up in the same way as before they charge?

Bjornas
17-06-2010, 10:10

So basically all that matters is that they're not base to base? And they had to move in ranks?

If so, a good idea for a movement tray would be to have an empty base between each skirmisher:

X = skirmisher
O = empty base

XOXOXOXOX
OOOOOOOO
XOXOXOXOX

And you could model stuff on top of that, like trees hedges etc.

ChaosVC
17-06-2010, 10:27
I wonder if GW is ever going to sell us some skirmishers movement tray since its all box~y and strangely equal distant apart. You know, when you come out with stupid ideas for stupid players, might as well go all the way to milk them for the cash with a stupid product for the stupid rule, it is ony natural.

Frankly
17-06-2010, 10:32
Most of the Rumours were making Shades look unplayable.

No they don't not at all, we're been playing a few games with rumoured rules, Shades are still awesome, being ranked only slightly hampering them, they're stilll extremely mobile. The only real nerf is the GW striking last, but its not a inbuilt costing so .... ; anyhow skirmishers running around with str5 was always alittle broken.

Hitsugaya Toushiro
17-06-2010, 10:45
excuse me guys....but how do skirmishers move? like normal units or like fast cavalry (so with free reforms)?