PDA

View Full Version : So where are your mages going?

nick_robinsonchia
16-06-2010, 19:34
With the miscast tablepotentially awful for both the wizard and his accompanying unit combined with TLoS for Mage sniping where will you be putting your mages?

Small cheap unit?
Regularly and hope for the best?(I wont be doing this str 10 pie plate... No thanks)
run on a steed or on foot and hope for the best?

Tzeentch disk riders with golden eye ench shield and book of ashur don't really need to worry Bout this tho :D

N

Agnar the Howler
16-06-2010, 19:37
My Slann will be running as he regularly does, i.e. 7th Edition, but my WoC Tzeentch Sorcerer will be flying around on his disc zapping stuff and looking cool doing it.

nick_robinsonchia
16-06-2010, 19:39
Yeah slaan seem to be demigods this edition immune to near on everything

Vsurma
16-06-2010, 19:45
Putting them in cheap units is a good idea, losing a 7-8 cheap 5pts models won't really matter.

Running them alone might be ok, within 3" of a unit for lookout sir might be a decent idea.

dragonet111
16-06-2010, 19:48
My main mage is going to be a huge unit of horrors (I mean HUGE). The miscast table is terrifying but I take the risk:D.

Vsurma
16-06-2010, 20:54
Your still going to use horrors?

DarkstarSabre
16-06-2010, 21:33
Slann become amusingly great enemy mage killers.

Cupped Hands and Soul of Stone for amusement factors! Bounce your catastrophic miscast onto an enemy wizard lord!

Agnar the Howler
17-06-2010, 01:00
Bear in mind that Cupped Hands isn't guaranteed, which is what a lot of people seem to be thinking when discussing miscasts (i'm not saying you are, it's just a general note), the 2+ roll on a D6 to see if it works still plays an important part, as if you roll a 1 (i've done it; it sucks ****, especially when your Slann miscasts once every game and each miscast is the same 2 on the table, never anything else) then you're screwed.

geldedgoat
17-06-2010, 02:56
Without seeing neither exactly how the new miscast system works nor what changes the new army errata will bring, my mages may end up going on the shelf. I don't relish the idea of my previously protected WoC sorcerer lord with puppet having no way to avoid a S10 or S6 hit on his expensive keester.

Paraelix
17-06-2010, 03:55
Small units is just asking for him to be run down or run off.

Magic Carpet might be a good idea?

Ghazbad_Facestompa
17-06-2010, 04:00
My shamans will still run around on their own. Yes, even the level 4 orc great shaman, who will probably be getting a shield of ptolos, and possibly a cheap ward.

Paraelix
17-06-2010, 04:28
My shamans will still run around on their own. Yes, even the level 4 orc great shaman, who will probably be getting a shield of ptolos, and possibly a cheap ward.

Can't buy armour unless you already had access to it. Only WoC and Vamp mages will be getting magic armour.

nick_robinsonchia
17-06-2010, 04:30

Hmm I thought WoC was basically the only casters that could take magic armor(with a few written exceptions).

I'm thinking alot will have to do with the sniping prowess of the enemy ur facing etc etc.

Is it 4+ for an infantry model within 3" of a infantry unit save?

N

Ghazbad_Facestompa
17-06-2010, 04:30
I have never seen that rule, but it doesn't surprise me much. Ah well, 5+ ward should do.

Paraelix
17-06-2010, 04:51
:/ It's in this edition, last edition, and the new one coming...

Rhaivaen
17-06-2010, 05:00
Can't buy armour unless you already had access to it. Only WoC and Vamp mages will be getting magic armour.

but if the mage can buy magic armor that allows casting in it, can he then also have a enchanted shield, or not? just wondering out loud:shifty:

Alltaken
17-06-2010, 06:21
I'll probably give solo slanns a try

decker_cky
17-06-2010, 08:09
My main mage is going to be a huge unit of horrors (I mean HUGE). The miscast table is terrifying but I take the risk:D.

Uhhhh.....horrors don't miscast the same as others. They just lose D6 horrors don't they? L4 horrors are a pretty nasty magic phase IMO. Reliably get the two big spells off each turn = yuck (+5 to cast :D).

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 08:26
But horrors don't add dice like they used to, so if you take them and normal mages, the horrors will end up using their dice.

Of course you could just use horrors and no normal mages.

CauCaSus
17-06-2010, 13:15
I will skitterleap them right next to your units :p

snowywlf
17-06-2010, 14:05
Bear in mind that Cupped Hands isn't guaranteed, which is what a lot of people seem to be thinking when discussing miscasts (i'm not saying you are, it's just a general note), the 2+ roll on a D6 to see if it works still plays an important part, as if you roll a 1 (i've done it; it sucks ****, especially when your Slann miscasts once every game and each miscast is the same 2 on the table, never anything else) then you're screwed.

Amen to this. My last game I rolled snake eyes for a spell (Miscast), then snake eyes on the Miscast chart (Uh oh), then a 1 on my Cupped Hands. Chance of this happening? 0.01% (1 in 10,000 chance) Did it happen? You bet it did.

I'll be running my slann as always (unit of Temple Guard), but my Skink Priests will change a little. With this TLOS crap, no longer will my flying Priest be viable since hiding is impossible unless you have a building or wall on the table (things my group rarely uses). So they are going in cheap but numerous units of Skinks. Not a huge issue but not something I'm thrilled about either.