PDA

View Full Version : What next after all existing lines are updated ?

Tribune
16-06-2010, 19:53
GW seem to be doing ok in updating all their existing lines at the moment. I'm a big fan of the new ork kits and the Blood Angels kits were well done if maybe a bit 'marmite' (you either loved them or you hated them). Dark Eldar and Necrons are next I think, Nids having just been done also.

Assuming it takes GW another 2 or 3 years to get most of the other armies done to some extant or other, what happens then? Do they just go round again? The new updates are, for the most part, a massive upgrade to some aged kits, so how much can they improve if they re-do what they've just done? Do they look to introducing other armies, thus slowing down and adding to an already packed design and production schedule? Or, do they go sideways and introduce new lines to already existing armies?

I'm not sure how many more things they could add to 'modern' Space Marines. It's the biggest selling line but already packed with kits and character sculpts, so would they go with pre-heresy kits perhaps? The Horus Heresy book line is apparently a million seller so you would think that there is a market for new kits or at the least a host of 'bits' kits to allow you to kit bash with the newer stuff to create P-H armies.

The same with Imp Guard. I'm sure there's room for a couple of new kits or would they go with the 'greatcoat guard' IG players seem to be clamouring for or maybe a kit to allow you to make 2 or 3 different regiment types from one box?

What do you think will happen once the current merry-go round of army updates is complete?

Meriwether
16-06-2010, 20:02
They will start over, but not necessarily with the oldest one. Oh, and put out 6th edition.

IcedAnimals
16-06-2010, 23:26
I have heard that every army will get a 5th edition codex. Then you will probably see a rules supplement, 6th edition, and a new marine dex.

There was suppose to be a "mystery!" race codex this year supposedly something new but I have yet to see any such thing.

chromedog
16-06-2010, 23:30
They will start over 3 months later with the next rules edition except next edition will only have two codices for it. Codex: Space Marines and Codex:Everyone else.
C:SM will auto win games - unless both players are SM, in which case both will lose.
If both players are C:EE then they will both win.

SteelTitan
16-06-2010, 23:39
All existing lines updated....*dreams*

That sounds like a utopia "

:rolleyes:

But i guess it will happen sooner or later...later...

But yeah GW just creates its own demand. Bring out all codeci (?), bring out new core ruleset and start updating all the codeci...

sigur
16-06-2010, 23:56
Wait......we had the exact same thread a few months ago. :eek: Or was it "what will happen after all codices have been updated?". Anyway, similarly outlandish.

Bunnahabhain
17-06-2010, 00:01
They produce the collectors edition Flying pig model, which will be given away free on White Dwarf, along with a edible hat....

Inquisitor_Tolheim
17-06-2010, 00:04
They produce the collectors edition Flying pig model, which will be given away free on White Dwarf, along with a edible hat....

Win!

They'll release a new Space Marine codex, release a new edition which completely confuses the special rules of every codex but the new space marine codex, then releasea a new codex to update the Space Marines for the new edition. GW will report record profits for that fiscal year.

RobPro
17-06-2010, 01:08
They very well could introduce a new faction or new supplements (like the 3rd ed craftworld eldar booklet) for existing codices.

Erwos
17-06-2010, 01:37
Assuming it takes GW another 2 or 3 years to get most of the other armies done to some extant or other
GW has 16 major armies in play right now, and another couple minor armies (Catachans, LatD). Of those, five of them have been updated to 5E standards. Assuming we see DE/GK/WH/=I= at the end of the year and GW continuously releases three codexes a year, we'll be through them in, at best, 3 years and change, or more likely, 4 years.

Guess what happens in four years? New edition of 40k!

MajorWesJanson
17-06-2010, 01:57
I'm not sure how many more things they could add to 'modern' Space Marines. It's the biggest selling line but already packed with kits and character sculpts, so would they go with pre-heresy kits perhaps? The Horus Heresy book line is apparently a million seller so you would think that there is a market for new kits or at the least a host of 'bits' kits to allow you to kit bash with the newer stuff to create P-H armies.

Kits I can think of off the top of my head for Marines:
Plastic Terminator Character (Commander/Chaplain/Librarian)

Recut Predator (update to new style sponsons, armored front, remove old turret, sponson, and accessory sprue)

Recut Razorback (add TL Assault Cannons, Heavy Flamers, Las/TL Plas options, add accessories, remove old razorback sprue and accessory sprue)

Recut Terminators (more sprue density, have assault and shooty weapons in one box, more bling pieces for sergeant, like the Wolf Terminator Box)

Plastic SM Veterans(5 man squad that can make Sternguard or Honor Guard, or mix with assault squad to make vanguard vets. Would have many combi weapons, a pair of Lightning claws, a Thunder Hammer, and several Relic blades, 5 Sternguard style bolters, and the usual mix of bolt pistols and CC/Power weapons)

Recut Generic Dreadnought (add weapon options, bling, arm weapons similar to venerable plug and play system)

Plastic Thunderhawk

Metal Master of the Forge character with Conversion Beamer

Metal Jump Pack Librarian

megatrons2nd
17-06-2010, 02:44
Insert snide comment about raising prices here.

Seriously it will be a new edition followed immediately by marines. If we are really good maybe a new race that is utterly broken in the current edition but is toned down a few months later with the 6th edition release.

Raven1
17-06-2010, 04:30
they release new plastic kits and raise the prices.

flakknight
17-06-2010, 04:59
WTB inq/wh plastics, or at least SoB since you actually have more than 18 models in a WH army. :(

Vandelan
17-06-2010, 08:13
I hardly believe that every army will be updated for 5th by the time 6th rolls out. We're still running around with 3rd ed books, and I see no reason for GW to slow its roll when it comes time for the money to come in from a new edition and a new Space Marines book.

AmKhaibitu
17-06-2010, 08:45
Perhaps we might eventually get a non 2nd-ed chaos dreadnought in plastic.
And maybe it might even have some decent rules.

After all it has been forgotten for some time now.
It's a more efficient weapon to beat someone with physically.

I do agree that new predator sponsons would be ideal as the current design is fragile.

We're not likely to get much in the way of new forces though as they have enough trouble with what they have.

Erwos
17-06-2010, 11:42
Perhaps we might eventually get a non 2nd-ed chaos dreadnought in plastic.
What's with all the metal Chaos dreadnought hate? I thought it was a good model 14 years ago, and I still think it's a good model today!

I agree the rules are stupid, though. Give me back my old-school Thunder Hammer, ditch the crazed! Do the current Chaos dreads even come with all three DCCWs now?

Anyways, I don't want to see new races, but I _do_ want to see them finish up some projects they never seemed to get done (LatD, Deathwatch, etc.).

MajorWesJanson
17-06-2010, 11:45
What's with all the metal Chaos dreadnought hate? I thought it was a good model 14 years ago, and I still think it's a good model today!

I admit it works equally as well now as it did then as a dreadsock, but beyond that, the thing is almost as bad as the Dark Eldar range. Plus it's a metal dreadnought. Dreadnoughts do not assemble well in metal. Plastic is much happier for them.

Of course, the variety of chaos dreads would seem to be problematic to portray in plastic, unless they go the venerable dread route and have tons of panels to mix and match.

Barbarossa
17-06-2010, 12:02

In Germany the hat will be replaced with an edible broom, to fit our local figures of speech. The broom, of course, will fetch high prices overseas.

TimLeeson
17-06-2010, 12:12
If they actually manage to update everything before 6th edition, which I have my doubts about tbh - a new army would be a massive breath of fresh air, but I cant see that ever happening - more just an unending cycle where a few armies are always left un-updated for years.

Bunnahabhain
17-06-2010, 12:26
In Germany the hat will be replaced with an edible broom, to fit our local figures of speech. The broom, of course, will fetch high prices overseas.

It's Germany. Anything is considered edible with enough beer, or if pickled for long enough*

IF they really did finish every line, I reckon they'd start pulling in new stuff and FW stuff, like the night spinner, via White dwarf and the Web.

* Lovely country, just not a place to be a vegetarian. Doubly so if you're there for a week long folk dance festival, performing every night in front of Audiences of 500-3000 depending on venue, then partying with the other groups there, so need to keep up energy levels. Bread, beer, cheese and beer does not represent a balanced or healthy diet!