PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Aids

Zaonite
16-06-2010, 23:20
No...not AIDS you get from gaming :p

I spotted this vid on the GW website showing some of the new Warhammer Gaming Aids in action. I haven't seen it posted yet so here it is:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1300172&aId=11100001a

Enjoy

Z

Crazy Harborc
16-06-2010, 23:47
Interesting video. To be honest I am not inspired to try to get my hands on those playing aids. My regular opponents and I already have workable aids to get this and that measured, caculated or moved.

The aids did look good. I'm not even going to guess prices for those aids.:eek:

Acheldama82
16-06-2010, 23:54
Two Gamers Edition already booked! One is a gift for my best friend :)

tiger g
17-06-2010, 00:45
I really like the charge arc tool

Spiney Norman
17-06-2010, 01:01
I really like the charge arc tool

Yeah, me too, although its about the only one I'm really interested in. The CR calculator will either be unnecessary or too small to hold the numbers required for calculation, the ruler looks like it will snap as soon as you look at it, and is far bulkier and harder to use than a classic tape. The calipers are huge, much bigger than I originally thought, they look pretty ridiculous actually, as well as being completely unnecessary.

But I think what has me most worried is the flashy new templates. The centre hole is held in place by maybe a dozen thin plastic spokes? With any luck it might last until the end of your first game...

Crazy Harborc
17-06-2010, 01:02
I stumbled across the prices for the players aids in another thread on Warseer.

Pre-painted plastic items. The price were more like prices for metal items....brass, bronze....NOT plastic item prices.:eek:

strewart
17-06-2010, 03:53

I'll be your best friend. :P

Is this the same video that was posted in another thread? The templates look good, but the rest seems unnecesary to me. Its a good idea by GW though, in the descriptions of them they said it was to allow players to immerse themselves more fully in the world.

Walgis
17-06-2010, 05:55
unnecesary and looks kinda lame for the price. i mean is so hard to count combat res? no its not.

Mr_Rose
17-06-2010, 07:51
unnecesary and looks kinda lame for the price. i mean is so hard to count combat res? no its not.
Really? Your complaint is that the accessories are unnecessary?
Would it be better if they were necessary?

Vsurma
17-06-2010, 07:58
The combat calculator goes up to 40 on each side so I don't think its too small a limit.

They look nice but I think I will stick to my measuring tape.

madden
17-06-2010, 08:40
I like the look of the calipers as you can set them for a distance say 8" then just move your units with out the tape endholder getting in the way and having to remeasure everytime, the blasts I can do without and the combat res I could use as turn counter, maybe useful in large multicombats, like the charge counters but they all look like they are for larger games.

Walgis
17-06-2010, 09:22
Really? Your complaint is that the accessories are unnecessary?
Would it be better if they were necessary?

it woud be great if they were necesery that is if they were usefull. i mean the lore cards are usefull becouse you dont need to look at the book all the time. but everything is unusfull so unecesery. its realy easy and prity fine to measure everything with measuring tape.

sigur
17-06-2010, 09:44
I like them. Sure, they're not the best thing for gaming, aren't worth the money from an objective standpoint and so on but they look nice and if you have that kind of money to spend you don't bother with these problems anyway.

heychadwick
17-06-2010, 11:06
The two biggest things that I'm interested in is the calipers and the CR counter. You can always use a tape ruler, but I've seen disagreements come up due to that. I think it will be easier to measure with that tool to get between units.

The Combat Resolution will just be something neat to use instead of dice. It also has a visual reminder of the different things to count up for when you're on your 3rd game of a tournament and a bit fried.

VoodooJanus
17-06-2010, 11:11
We should give everyone aids. Aids for children, women, aids for the mentally challenged.

Sorry. The south park references were just there.

These look really cool though.

blongbling
17-06-2010, 14:23
when I first saw the pictures i was like meh! then after seeing the video I was still like meh!

over engineered for what they are and will break quickly, you can get more practical ones from GF9 and will be half the price.

Captain Ventris
17-06-2010, 14:42

That is one nice friend... :D

TheZombieSquig
17-06-2010, 16:24
I bought the gamer's edition and the engineers' stuff just to have the set. I'll probably end up just leaving them in the bag, but I like the consistent theme and the little carved cave men pictures on them. Callipers are pretty useful for measuring around obstacles, I used to use some for Necromunda.

loveless
17-06-2010, 16:45
In a game of square blocks of troops, you can't tell me that you'd have difficulty counting the models under the faux-brass templates. Despite the fact that they really aren't that obscuring, you only need to see the outer edges of the models touched in Fantasy...you can determine the remaining models underneath by the powers of math. Really, that's why they offer solid copies of the templates in the rulebooks (or used to at least).

I'll admit they aren't necessary - hell, the 40K green ones aren't necessary. At the same time, using models isn't necessary for the game, as I've proxied with paper and blank movement trays before. It's a matter of aesthetic - you pick the version you like the best. I welcome the choice, really.

As for the compass/calipers, I think I'll get the set because it's pretty, is as effective as my measuring tape for small-medium values, and comes with a ruler that's so ridiculous in design that it makes me giggle.

I'll admit that none of it is needed, but they offer options for things you already have. Frankly, I'm a bit weary of everything being so utilitarian and like that there's a baroque alternative out there.

Urgat
17-06-2010, 17:55
The CR calculator will either be unnecessary or too small to hold the numbers required for calculation

I'm an idiot, I don't get how it works. Well the numbers ok, but what about the symbols in the middle :/

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 17:56
The symbols in the middle are there to remind you of what counts for CR (if we are talking about the same symbols, I have no idea about that strange sun, either).

mrtn
17-06-2010, 18:05
I think it's in English, that's why you guys have problems. ;)

Urgat
17-06-2010, 18:34
On the french website, there's no comments at all, but, btw, I do understand english ;)

BlutGeist
17-06-2010, 19:04
I actually really like the dice.

Try finding some that are as well-made and high fantasy looking as those for that price point.

You can't, and the few others out there that come close are actually pretty crappy upon closer inspection - I know, I'm a dice collector and I have many of them. I'm pleased to see GW offering up things like this.

I don't understand why people are complaining about things they're not even going to buy, seems futile. If you're not a fan, that's cool, don't spend your hard-earned cash on this stuff and you've got nothing to worry about. It's easy enough.

mrtn
17-06-2010, 20:55
On the french website, there's no comments at all, but, btw, I do understand english ;)

I meant the plastic thing itself, with the small figures. Yes, with no words at all, don't mind me, just my idea of a joke. :angel:

Mr_Rose
17-06-2010, 21:48
Having read the rulebook, I have discovered a use for the callipers; they ought to be used to measure the distances between units; since everything is measured nearest edge to nearest edge, having a calliper can make this easier when it isn't clear.

(I never said it was an important use...)

Also, can you guys quit the useless back and forth over who loves/hates GW/Warseer more; you're getting terribly boring.

Tokamak
17-06-2010, 22:07
I like the callipher, it's the ruler that seems more useless, and more importantly, fragile to me.

TheAmazingAntman
17-06-2010, 23:06
I'm suprised at all this "fragile", "flimsy" talk.

Have you guys watched the youtube video...all the tools look pretty solid. They are much thicker then I expected.

That said, I probably won't be buying any of it (except the dice...those things are freaking cool).

Tokamak
17-06-2010, 23:10
What's the point of so few dice? I always need hands full of those.

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 23:15
What's the point of so few dice? I always need hands full of those.

That was my thought exactly; I considered buying them but 8 is simply not enough, and I'm not gonna shell out 20 on... well, plain old dice. This is a collector's item in my opinion.

Ishivia
17-06-2010, 23:31
Well... Seeing as the dice ARE "limited edition", I don't think it's so odd that they seem more like a collector's item :)

ironduke
17-06-2010, 23:43
Your making assumptions, who says their cash is hard earned? ;-)

Anyhoo they look very nice and I certainly want the engineers set and templates. Tape Measures are so boring.

cheers
Ironduke

BlutGeist
18-06-2010, 04:12
The dice are, in my view, priced comparatively to most other premium sets out there. While true, were the set 12 dice with a scatter/artillery dice without the pouch, it would make a bit more sense.

However, like the engineer's tools and the special edition rulebooks, these are limited edition items that will be scarce after awhile and mainly for the collectors out there (like me) who fancy a nice set of dice and a chance to own a piece of gaming history.

I can completely understand that there are some people who these will not appeal to, but I nevertheless applaud GW for providing these types of items to the collectors and hobby enthusiasts.

I can respect the vision GW's designers have in regards to providing a way for players to play the game entirely with high fantasy gaming aids. It's definitely not for everyone that plays the game, but I believe it's a bold and respectable move in spite of that.

I suppose they could have just released more of the same standard dice with a new logo on them, another run-of-the-mill tape measure, and a basic rulebook, but they give us these options in my opinion because they want to say thanks to the enthusiasts out there whilst they make a buck.

Glucksbar
18-06-2010, 06:11
As a 40K player, having different kind of dice is perfect. So I ordered them. And the calipers, too, just because I like the look, and think they are helpful by moving around all those 6" walking skirmishers. And it will definately helo me getting the most of the 1" unit coherency, which I tend to take a bit lax and end up with less than 1".

Maybe I am a fanboy, I don't care. But it's true, my mind springs on everything that's got "limited" on it :D

The Clairvoyant
18-06-2010, 07:28
I've ordered the dice (and everything else) and i intend to use those dice as wound markers as they look completely different to normal dice so won't get picked up by accident. So 8 dice should be sufficient for most of my games. The callipers will be used for moving most of my units because i have a tendency to knock models over on their trays with a tape measure! I can't really see me using the CR calculator, but it'll be handy for remembering which bits to add on.
The magic cards i bought just because i loved the cards back in 4th/5th. I have the Tomb King cards from when GW had them on their site before the re-do and they're useful to leave lying around as i'm always forgetting the range on spells. I'm especially looking forward to having vampire lore on cards in the future as the spell descriptions are in such a silly place in the book!

BlutGeist
18-06-2010, 08:51
Indeed. I also ordered the dice due in part because I see them as exceptional wound counters. They stand out completely and are very distinct and hard to mistake for your typical chessex dice. I also really like the old world aspect to them, I believe it adds something to the game.

loveless
18-06-2010, 13:28
Wow, the Gamer's Edition sold out in the States. A lot of people must have wanted that bag...or didn't notice the bag cost extra :p

Of course, seeing that made me order the calipers and ruler, since I couldn't be sure how long they'd last - and I'm a sucker for pretty things. I'm going to purchase the rest from indie shops, given that I've finally talked myself out of a Collector's Edition of the rulebook.

static grass
18-06-2010, 21:28
Akk changed my mind and ordered the Warhammer Collectors Edition instead of the gamers edition. I blame the Jagermeister myself... and will do so when inquisitioned by the wife :D

I will pick up the templates and the cards when she is not looking. Again it's the jag talking.

BlutGeist
19-06-2010, 06:27
It appears the special, limited release skull dice have sold out in the US along with the collector's edition rulebook. So that leaves the engineer's set as the only remaining limited stock item still available in the US. I'd say these products appear to be reasonably well-received for the stocks to exhaust so quickly. Glad I bought mine when I did!

Edit: Finally sold out once more.

wingedserpant
19-06-2010, 21:38
I ordered them. They cost a fair bit though so they're one form of aids that you don't want to lose.

Crazy Harborc
20-06-2010, 02:17
It appears the special, limited release skull dice have sold out in the US along with the collector's edition rulebook. So that leaves the engineer's set as the only remaining limited stock item still available in the US. I'd say these products appear to be reasonably well-received for the stocks to exhaust so quickly. Glad I bought mine when I did!

Edit: Finally sold out once more.

It's possible that tens of thousands of the items sold. OR was it thousands of them? Or was it just a few hundred of them?? Heck, maybe it was even less?:shifty:

BlutGeist
20-06-2010, 02:59
It's possible that tens of thousands of the items sold. OR was it thousands of them? Or was it just a few hundred of them?? Heck, maybe it was even less?:shifty:

And your point is . . . what exactly? They did sell out, is what I was speaking to. That means that they met or perhaps exceeded GW's expectations for them, that merits the "well-received" descriptor.

Not sure what the point of your post is, care to elaborate somewhat?

Crazy Harborc
20-06-2010, 03:16
And your point is . . . what exactly? They did sell out, is what I was speaking to. That means that they met or perhaps exceeded GW's expectations for them, that merits the "well-received" descriptor.

Not sure what the point of your post is, care to elaborate somewhat?

A sellout of 50-75, or dozens, or 100 or 200 is NOT the same as a sellout of 500 or a 1000 or more. I do wonder how many GW expected to sell in North America?;)

Kalandros
20-06-2010, 03:46
All 4 'While Stocks Last' items are still available on Canadian currency~

BlutGeist
20-06-2010, 04:07
A sellout of 50-75, or dozens, or 100 or 200 is NOT the same as a sellout of 500 or a 1000 or more. I do wonder how many GW expected to sell in North America?;)

Well if my dice and items are that limited, they should be quite the rare collectibles over the course of history :)

Crazy Harborc
20-06-2010, 16:55
I really do hope you are correct.;) THAT said.......back issues of WD, old GW outdated codexes and armybooks as well as GW rulebooks are VERY cheap at flea markets, used wargames auctions, on E-bay, etc, etc.

Kalandros......says those items which are sold out for USA dollars are still available for Canadian?? Ummmm......didn't GW make the USA's GW warehouse THE ordering and shipping center for the continent of North America?? Has that changed back to the good old days?

Sir_Glonojad
20-06-2010, 18:07
Maybe there's a separate quota for Canada?

Kalandros
20-06-2010, 18:10
Yes, I am fairly certain that there is a separate quota for Canada, else they wouldn't still be available for purchase even now.

Sir_Glonojad
20-06-2010, 18:34
Yest, that's obvious indeed... separate quota doesn't rule out centralised warehouse.