PDA

View Full Version : steam tank FAQ

kiron
17-06-2010, 06:50
So...yeah...it says it's unaffected by magic unless it has a strength value...but looking from the new lore of metal, if the spell works like a normal unit, then the tank is scrap metal...but the lore has no strength value, just 'to wounds' value...Also does poison now affect the tank since warmachines are now affected by poison...(weird)

P.S. Why are dwarf cannons officially better than empire cannons now (since all cannons do d6 wounds)?

Vandelan
17-06-2010, 07:52
I suggest you wait until the official FAQs and Errata are taken care of because this is just such a case where the transition between editions warrant a rules clarification.

There's no sense in worrying about the matter at all considering 8th edition isn't even out yet.

ChaosVC
17-06-2010, 08:02
Roll a d6, on a roll of 8. You can have a steam tank as a war-altar with 10 cannons, mr 8, unaffected by magical attacks or effect, immune to psychology, terror, fear, panic only on a roll of 12, unbreakable, break only on a roll of 12, magical attacks against all magical creatures which are immune to magical attacks and a bald warrior priest call an archlector dragged by the steam tank Hector style purffing smoke with a "I win" button that goes "Toot Toot" if you pressed it.

RanaldLoec
17-06-2010, 08:49
Until the faq, errata and the book are in my hands stick with what's in your empire book. It's pretty clear and concise only spells with a strength value effect the stank.

ChoasVC is just suffering tank envy its very comman.

King_Pash
17-06-2010, 08:56
Roll a d6, on a roll of 8. You can have a steam tank as a war-altar with 10 cannons, mr 8, unaffected by magical attacks or effect, immune to psychology, terror, fear, panic only on a roll of 12, unbreakable, break only on a roll of 12, magical attacks against all magical creatures which are immune to magical attacks and a bald warrior priest call an archlector dragged by the steam tank Hector style purffing smoke with a "I win" button that goes "Toot Toot" if you pressed it.

Lol, that's brilliant! :D

jthdotcom
17-06-2010, 10:53
Roll a d6, on a roll of 8. You can have a steam tank as a war-altar with 10 cannons, mr 8, unaffected by magical attacks or effect, immune to psychology, terror, fear, panic only on a roll of 12, unbreakable, break only on a roll of 12, magical attacks against all magical creatures which are immune to magical attacks and a bald warrior priest call an archlector dragged by the steam tank Hector style purffing smoke with a "I win" button that goes "Toot Toot" if you pressed it.Steam tanks are in no way a "win button". They are easy to make worthless. Even by the owning player when rolling for steam points

And on another note, haven't you always been able to poison a steam tank? It goes through to the crew but obviously still benefits from the 1+armour save

ChaosVC
17-06-2010, 10:58
Steam tanks are in no way a "win button". They are easy to make worthless. Even by the owning player when rolling for steam points

And on another note, haven't you always been able to poison a steam tank? It goes through to the crew but obviously still benefits from the 1+armour save

Can't a guy have fun with his new plastic toy tank that looks like a steam boiler on wheels? Gee.

RanaldLoec
17-06-2010, 11:26
Can't a guy have fun with his new plastic toy tank that looks like a steam boiler on wheels? Gee.

LOL my tank has been modelled with scalded bunnys coming out of the stack so I can tell my opponent that its an overweight bunny boiler:D

It is fun to watch a stank blow it self up its like my cannons and volly guns they misfire and go puff then they misfire and go BOOM and die.

stuntyKing
17-06-2010, 12:21
P.S. Why are dwarf cannons officially better than empire cannons now (since all cannons do d6 wounds)? well im not sure how much empire cannons cost points wise, but since stats are now the same on each cannon, the dwarven cannon gets a boost from being able to put runes on the cannon (ro of forging, luck etc.) to make the machine more reliable, but these do make it more expensive.

Atrahasis
17-06-2010, 12:27
And on another note, haven't you always been able to poison a steam tank?No, as a war machine it is immune in 7th. In 8th, war machines lose that immunity (since they become chariot-style single models with combined statlines).

I expect (hope) the tank will get an erratum, otherwise DE Toxins start to work on it and a single assassin will cripple a tank from 12" away.

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
17-06-2010, 13:37
If you cast current Pit of Shades on a slann it falls down a hole right?
So, blue tac the model under the table where it got buried and claim it can still cast through the skink priest................

danny-d-b
17-06-2010, 15:18
So, blue tac the model under the table where it got buried and claim it can still cast through the skink priest................

nope as the pit of shades doesn't have a strenth value

Leth Shyish'phak
17-06-2010, 15:41

nope as the pit of shades doesn't have a strenth value

Fortunately, this can be negated if the Sorceress casting the spell uses the Potion of Strength to make the Pit S3, allowing it to effect the Slann.

Unless of course the Slann's attendant is equipped with a Steam Drill, in which case he is able to dig his way back out again.

ChaosVC
17-06-2010, 16:08
Steam tank guys!!! Look Tank!!! No Look Frogs!!! Focus!!!

Lordsaradain
17-06-2010, 16:43
Fortunately, this can be negated if the Sorceress casting the spell uses the Potion of Strength to make the Pit S3, allowing it to effect the Slann.

You weren't being serious just then were you?

yabbadabba
17-06-2010, 16:50
Hurrah, less than 15 posts to answer correctly and get a consensus. Surely a Warseer record?

Leth Shyish'phak
17-06-2010, 22:36
You weren't being serious just then were you?

Of course, I always take the Potion of Strength on my supreme sorceress for just that situation, as well as giving my Slann's attendant the Steam Drill. Never leave home without them.

wyvirn
18-06-2010, 04:23
... and a bald warrior priest call an archlector dragged by the steam tank Hector style purffing smoke...

My AP Latin- Virgil side laughs at that reference. :)

Mangosta
09-07-2010, 23:23
So, faqs for 8th have been relesed.

The steamtank is now T10, 10W, 1+armour

but the "magic phase" didnīt change ....you can only damage the tank with S value spells....
so

Can you damage it with the spells of metal lore?

Falkman
09-07-2010, 23:24
Why ask a question that you already answered yourself?
You state that it can't be wounded by spells that don't have a S value, and Metal spells don't.
Pretty clear.

theunwantedbeing
09-07-2010, 23:52
No, as a war machine it is immune in 7th. In 8th, war machines lose that immunity (since they become chariot-style single models with combined statlines).

I expect (hope) the tank will get an erratum, otherwise DE Toxins start to work on it and a single assassin will cripple a tank from 12" away.

Cripple?
He needs 6's to wound it even with manbane, without it he's not got much hope of getting past the Stanks 1+ save.

Plague of rust spammed at it, then it gets drowned in flaming sword of ruin Crossbow bolts :)

Falkman
10-07-2010, 00:28
Plague of rust doesn't work on it.

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 00:31
Pretty sure it does, the steam tank can only be "damaged" by a spell that has a known strength, spells that dont cause damage can affect it just fine.

Heck, it can even have wounds regained.....

Atrahasis
10-07-2010, 00:56
No, all other spell effects are ignored.

Can't do anything that isn't strength-based damage to a tank with a spell.

RichBlake
10-07-2010, 01:23
As stated in another thread, the Steam Tank can only be damaged by magic spells with a strength value all other spell effects are ignored.

theunwantedbeing
10-07-2010, 01:29
Oh okay so I pick the thing up and throw it out the door anytime I face one :)

RichBlake
10-07-2010, 03:09
Oh okay so I pick the thing up and throw it out the door anytime I face one :)

While I'm sure this post was made in jest, if someone did do that to one of my models I spent almost a week putting the finishing touches on they'd get a broken nose ;)

On a serious not though the Stank is hard to kill but arguably not actually that great at dishing out damage compared to other models of similar size but lower points cost (Hydra gets 7 attacks at S5, with Hatred and can fire it's breath weapon for 2D6 S5 hits, followed by D6 S5 auto hits. Abomination gets at minimum D6 impact hits, one unsaveable wound on everyone in base contact 2D6 attacks at S6 and D6 S6 hits).

Plus on top of this if the nasty steam tank does somehow win combat but doesn't kill the unit it cannot pursue or run you down, unlike other models of similar size but lower points cost.

Likewise the Steam Tank only ever attacks you in the Empire Players turn, and if/how it does depends on the number of steam points it can/has generated, which depends on the number of wounds left and a D6 roll. Other models of a similar size but lesser points value attack you EVERY turn.

On top of that with a strict charge range of 15" it is the only unit left in the game where you KNOW how far it will charge and how far you need to run before you declare a flee reaction. However a couple of new developments makes several things not allow charge reactions (Hellpit Abomination, Doomwheel, Chaos Spawn, rampagining Hellcannon).

On top of all this sitting at above 250 points means you can only ever field one Steam Tank in a standard 2000 point game.

Overall ladies and gentlemen I think compared to some other beasts in the new edition the Steam Tank's ONLY advantage is the fact it's bloody hard to kill!

Chipacabra
10-07-2010, 14:37
The funniest aspect of the steam tank faq: It's easier to cast lore of beast spells against it because it's cavalry now.