PDA

View Full Version : Poor snottlings!

TroyJPerez
17-06-2010, 21:06
Snottling might have been usefull under the new rules, being allowed to use generals leadership for their break tests under the new stubborn rules. But in the new main book they have been reclassified as swarms so now they just crumble to death. Lame. Lets hope they get more wounds or cheaper in the new orcs and goblins rulebook. 3 wound swarm bases that crumble at their cost is not good, lol.

Avian
17-06-2010, 22:05
Yeah. Getting 3 wounds and attacks for the same cost other people get 5 for no actual trade off isn't a good deal.

papabearshane
17-06-2010, 22:08
My poor snotlings will be put up for a bit till there fixed.............All 9 Bases of them are so weak with the new attack in two ranks rules..................Only good thing about them anymore is frenzy/hatred bait................

rtunian
17-06-2010, 22:23
they could be used to provide a cover screen for units behind them?
maybe is not a great use of points but at least is a use of the models...

Avian
17-06-2010, 22:27
Screening was never something they did particularly good in the current edition when screening is easier, so not exactly worthwhile. :p

TroyJPerez
17-06-2010, 22:30
I used to use the idea that if you put a goblin character in with snottling he would be immune to psychology, but you can't even do that anymore. Some rule that says character are afraid of being eaten if they join swarms, I didn't know snottling are cannibles, lol.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
17-06-2010, 23:47
I used to use the idea that if you put a goblin character in with snottling he would be immune to psychology, but you can't even do that anymore. Some rule that says character are afraid of being eaten if they join swarms, I didn't know snottling are cannibles, lol.They're snots. I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Ultimate Life Form
17-06-2010, 23:49
I played WAR online as a greenskin for a while and there is even a quest in the starting area where snotlings try to lure you into a trap, smack you down and take all your shinies... oh yeah, and probably eat you. :shifty:

TroyJPerez
18-06-2010, 00:15
Ok they are going back into my army just cause I love the idea that they are crazy cannibles! I will just use them to stop fast cav or other light units, lol.

w3rm
18-06-2010, 00:46
But snots arent swarms...

Felworth
18-06-2010, 01:20
But snots arent swarms...

In the new edition it appears they will be.

Noserenda
18-06-2010, 01:22
Ive still got 10 Bases of "Savage Snotlings" painted up from when they used to mimic psychology on nearby units. Oh and Frenzy doubled your attacks :D

Djekar
18-06-2010, 01:45
I'd say that I miss those days, but back in those days I had a WAAC chaos player who made up houserules as he went and owned the only copy of the rulebook in our group of friends... so really I don't.

That being said, I'm sorry that I'm having to shelf the little guys until the are a little less bad. I like them, and they usually do stupidly great things for me.

mrnibbles05
18-06-2010, 01:56
In the new edition it appears they will be.

Where exactly? I've only had one short peek at the book but I remember looking over the swarm section and their rules, but nothing that said WHAT was a swarm. Bat swarm, rat swarm, those are obvious, but does being tiny and on a 40 mm base count them as swarms? Do nurglings count as swarms in 7th? I'm returning to the hobby and haven't played since 5th so I'm not sure.

TroyJPerez
18-06-2010, 02:03
But then again, snottlings are still stubborn from the orcs and goblins rules. Wonder how stubborn will effect a swarm that is already unbreakable, lol.

Voss
18-06-2010, 03:27
Where exactly? I've only had one short peek at the book but I remember looking over the swarm section and their rules, but nothing that said WHAT was a swarm. Bat swarm, rat swarm, those are obvious, but does being tiny and on a 40 mm base count them as swarms? Do nurglings count as swarms in 7th? I'm returning to the hobby and haven't played since 5th so I'm not sure.

Theres a reference section for all armies towards the back of the book. Most everything is defined. (Sadly a lot of the new skaven toys are defined as 'unique' which... isn't helpful). I didn't check what snots were specifically, but swarm wouldn't surprise me.

@Troy- like undead it doesn't help at all. Swarms have the Squishy! (and I'm not kidding) rule. This makes them Unstable, meaning they lose additional wounds = the amount they lost the combat by. Apparently the key to beating swarms is to step on them.

TroyJPerez
18-06-2010, 04:31
I"m still keeping my fingers crossed that stubborn will work for unbreakable units and swarms. I'm starting to feel sorry for undead, they get hit hard in the new edition.

Jind_Singh
18-06-2010, 06:52
if you look at most swarms, rats, lizards, etc, they are defined as swarms in their respective army books - were as snotlings are not classed as swarms in any way and they get their stubborn rule - and plus army book outclasses the rule book in most cases anyway.

there will always be a place for our dear children!

ChaosVC
18-06-2010, 07:12
There is a beacon of hope known as the errata?

Urgat
18-06-2010, 08:02
they could be used to provide a cover screen for units behind them?
maybe is not a great use of points but at least is a use of the models...

With Tlos? Ah, you mean the -1 cover for shooting through them?

I played WAR online as a greenskin for a while and there is even a quest in the starting area where snotlings try to lure you into a trap, smack you down and take all your shinies... oh yeah, and probably eat you. :shifty:

Yeah, the greenskin starting zone is so full of win, so the deception when you reach tier4 >>

shen-yong
18-06-2010, 10:49
IIRC, snotlings had the swarm rule previously then came the current AB and nerfed them a lot by forgetting their swarm status, but keeping their point cost. Now in the new RB when swarms (seemingly) become much less useful they regain that status. A possible oversight or part of some plan that we still don't know/comprehend or simply Matt Ward stroke again?

rtunian
18-06-2010, 13:02
With Tlos? Ah, you mean the -1 cover for shooting through them?
yes. very expensive way to get -1 shooting screen for your boyz, and won't last more than a turn if the enemy focuses on the screen instead.

Yeah, the greenskin starting zone is so full of win, so the deception when you reach tier4 >>

there are only 2 tiers in war:
- tier 1
- tier not-fun-anymore