PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help to start 8th Ed. Fantasy. 1,000pts Vampires

NitrosOkay
18-06-2010, 00:26
With 8th edition coming everyone at my local store is getting back into Fantasy and I'd like to start playing it. Problem is I've never played before. I need some advice.

I have a few models from the Vampire Counts Batallion set and absolutely love the theme of a Vampire Counts army.

These are the models I have to work with:

Vampire on Nightmare (Both old Necrarch models)
Vampire
40 Skeletons
20 Zombies
10 Ghouls
Corpse Cart

I was thinking of picking up some Grave Guard since I really like their models.

I came up with this, the restriction in 8th is no more than 25% of your points may be heroes and 25% lords correct?

Lords:
Vampire Lord
Book of Arkhan 240

Heroes:
Vampire
Nightmare Forbidden Lore 138

Core:
20 Skeletons
Full Command 180

20 Skeletons
Full Command 180

10 Ghouls

Corpse Cart

Special:
9 Grave Guard

1,000pts.

Pretty much everything is open to suggestions.

witchunter180
18-06-2010, 04:09
Hi, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I play 40k and have been looking at the VC in WFB(liked the theme as well) but I'ved heard the new 8th ed. rules are rough on the VC. What bloodline are you leaning towards?

Paraelix
18-06-2010, 04:13
9 Grave Guard aren't going to achieve much. They'll fight after most Elite units and will get few or no return attacks. Any models left will keel over from combat res.

NitrosOkay
18-06-2010, 04:58
Hi, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I play 40k and have been looking at the VC in WFB(liked the theme as well) but I'ved heard the new 8th ed. rules are rough on the VC. What bloodline are you leaning towards?

I've generally liked Wizardly Vampires. Necrarch theme, massed hordes of shambling skeletons and zombies.

9 Grave Guard aren't going to achieve much. They'll fight after most Elite units and will get few or no return attacks. Any models left will keel over from combat res.

I was thinking with the Book of Arkhan or just Vanhel's Danse Macabre I can give them always strikes first and re-roll to hit.

What would be a better use of the points?

Bauknefer
18-06-2010, 12:15
unless you and your gaming area made a house rule i dont believe you can field a lord level character in 1k so if you dropped him to hero level you could pick up maybe more graveguard or some black knights.

Nathangonmad
18-06-2010, 17:45
unless you and your gaming area made a house rule i dont believe you can field a lord level character in 1k so if you dropped him to hero level you could pick up maybe more graveguard or some black knights.

8th ed your allowed to ;)

ROCKY
19-06-2010, 07:40
tooo many points invested in a squishy vampire lord. i wouldnt bother taking one. instead take a tooled up vampire and a necromancer with 2 spells. that way your vampire can survive alot better and you will have 750points of army left, i would take a corpse cart with bale fire. then take about 2 units of skeletons, one with warbanner, the other with the banner of legion, then lastly take like 4-5 wraiths.

NitrosOkay
19-06-2010, 07:54
tooo many points invested in a squishy vampire lord. i wouldnt bother taking one. instead take a tooled up vampire and a necromancer with 2 spells. that way your vampire can survive alot better and you will have 750points of army left, i would take a corpse cart with bale fire. then take about 2 units of skeletons, one with warbanner, the other with the banner of legion, then lastly take like 4-5 wraiths.

I like that idea, I love Wraiths. Thanks!

ROCKY
19-06-2010, 08:10
I like that idea, I love Wraiths. Thanks!

no worries friend, now that outnumber doesnt bode well for us vamp players, we gotta rely on res, in both cases you will have 5 CR before anywounds are done, i would suggest taking lord of the dead on the vampire to boost up these units to horde proportions, while the wraiths can flank enemies that cant hurt them. oh btw, unless facing low ld armies dont take a banshie, i prefer 3S5 attacks rather than 1S3 attack O_O