PDA

View Full Version : 8th Ed. Lizardmen- 1500pts

Paraelix
18-06-2010, 03:41
Slann-
BSB, Plaque of Tepok, Focussed Rumination 315

Scar Vet-
Mirrored Shield, Magic Weapon (I10), Magic Talisman (2+ ward vs Fire), Light Armour 140

23 Saurus-
Spears, Standard, Muso 294

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

6 Chameleon Skinks 72

16 Temple Guard-
Full Command, Sun Standard of Chotec 331

2 Slamanders 150

Current total for the army is 1442...

Thoughts are-
Cube of Darkness for Slann?
2nd Slann power?
Handlers for Sallies?
Open to suggestions...

kaintxu
18-06-2010, 06:07
loose the plaque of tepok, and add as second power the know whole spell lore, then give him cupper hand and drop the BSB on him that will make him 370 points.

Give the BSB to your scarvet, and throw in some protection, i like the new heavy armor that grants 4+ wars, leaving him with a 3+/4++ and heavhy weapon.

Why do you want the magic talisman?

The saurus are good but make it 24 drop the spears, since 24 points for 6 attack, which means 3 hits, which mean 2 wound, ~1 after safes or even less, not really worth it comparing it to 6+ ward save.

Good on the skirmishers.

drop 2 TG and the sun standar = 72 points add a lvl 1 skink priest who will know either the number 1 heaven spell against gunlines giving you -1 to get hitted and half of the War machines wont shoot . that leaves us with 58 points you had +7 new =65

I would drop chameleons 65+72 =137

enough for some terradon or a 15 skinks in ranks with standar which with new rules and new javelines being range 30 works great, also gives you 1 more standard, and they are fast enough to get flank charges.

I know its quite a change, but I try to leave the core the some, just some minor changes and touches

P.S. Allways add handlers to sallies, its a must

Paraelix
18-06-2010, 06:40
Unfortunately... I'm slightly limited by models in my possession. Also I wasn't thinking clearly about the size of the Temple Guard...

So upping the TG to 20 (6x4 with Slann) takes me to 1506. So I need to drop some stuff >_>

I understand the opinion on the Saurus, but I'm keeping the spears. I plan on running shadow or metal, in which case I have access to spells which boost my combat attacks or reduce my enemy's stats.

Plaque of Tepok gets me 5 of 7 spells... I don't think a further 35 for 2 spells in necessary, especially when doubles allow you to choose which spell you want.

Swapping BSB is a possibility... But I did want to keep the Mirrored Shield, and the TG could do with the +1 Res more cos the Saurus have a fighting Char.

Also, was trying to keep the Chameleons because I like the new Scout rules.

Currently looking like;

Slann-

Scar Vet-
Mirrored Shield, Magic Weapon (I10), Light Armour 135

23 Saurus-

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

6 Chameleon Skinks 72

20 Temple Guard-
Standard, Muso 341

2 Slamanders 150
Total- 1447

kaintxu
18-06-2010, 14:03
Unfortunately... I'm slightly limited by models in my possession. Also I wasn't thinking clearly about the size of the Temple Guard...

So upping the TG to 20 (6x4 with Slann) takes me to 1506. So I need to drop some stuff >_>

I thinks thats over killed more times than not. I tell your from my experience with lizards.

I understand the opinion on the Saurus, but I'm keeping the spears. I plan on running shadow or metal, in which case I have access to spells which boost my combat attacks or reduce my enemy's stats.

Ok

Plaque of Tepok gets me 5 of 7 spells... I don't think a further 35 for 2 spells in necessary, especially when doubles allow you to choose which spell you want.

That exactly what i allways did on 7th, 5 out of 6 why take whole lore, now its one more spell, so is twice better, plus you want to have more spells in case you get a good PD roll like 12, so you can throw them all, believe me man, its a great deal now to know all of them, and usually all of them are usefull not like on old lores that there were crappy spells.

Swapping BSB is a possibility... But I did want to keep the Mirrored Shield, and the TG could do with the +1 Res more cos the Saurus have a fighting Char.

Yes the morrored shield is good, but with the new armor you get 3+/4++ you dont really need the mirrored shield

Currently looking like;

Slann-

Scar Vet-

23 Saurus-

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

6 Chameleon Skinks 72

20 Temple Guard-
Standard, Muso 341

2 Slamanders 150
Total- 1447

Its pretty similar to before, no cupper hands on the slann? if you get a mistcast with a 20 big units TG units your really going to hate yourself.

No warmachine hunters?

its for likings, I allready told you my oppinion hehehe, i dont really like how it looks now, but, since your limited by models and so, it's your go.

Just if you get a change try giving a chance to the changes I sugested to see if you like how they work over what you have now

Paraelix
19-06-2010, 00:40
Yes the morrored shield is good, but with the new armor you get 3+/4++ you dont really need the mirrored shield

I fail to see how a 4+ ward on my BSB alone trumps a 2+ ward against all magic missiles directed at the unit >_>... Especially when the BSB will virtually always strike first.

Agnar the Howler
19-06-2010, 12:00
I fail to see how a 4+ ward on my BSB alone trumps a 2+ ward against all magic missiles directed at the unit >_>... Especially when the BSB will virtually always strike first.

Well, for starters the shield isn't a ward save, so if you roll a 1 then that spell is hitting you hard; secondly, it only works against magic missiles, so when you become the target of a cannonball there's nothing stopping it ripping you a new one, whereas a 4+ ward save has a 3/6 chance of leaving you unscathed.

The shield is very much a situational item, it can be great if you're facing an army that is often throwing magic missiles your way, but against armies that like to fill you with arrows or arrows that are solid metal and cannonball-shaped it's going to be nigh on useless; and with the new hexes and curses, lowering your defences so even the most pathetic of ranged attacks can hurt you won't be amazingly hard either. A ward save also helps you a lot in combat against big gribblies or in challenges, but the mirrored shield is going to add +1 to your save for being an overcosted shield and that's about it.

kaintxu
20-06-2010, 03:42
agnar got the points.

Its only against magic misiles, now we have 5 diferent spells, hexes, buffs, magic misiles, direct damage, power whirls.

Out of those 5, enemy will only target you with 4, os its only usefull against 25% of the magic cast against you plus has no use at all against the strongest spell that are the power whirls

Paraelix
20-06-2010, 04:17
True. But it is awfully rude when it goes off... And comments have been raised to its uselessness in saving me from warmachines etc... Yet the suggestions are to throw a Ward on the Scar Vet that only he benefits from :/

Agnar the Howler
20-06-2010, 14:00
Well if a cannonball is going through him and two other saurus, which would you prefer to have? I'm not saying a ward save is a catch-all mechanism, just that it would be more useful than the shield in most circumstances, such as cannonball sniping attempts, combat and shooting; i'd rather spend my points on protection from more aspects of the game than lots of protection from a single aspect.

Paraelix
21-06-2010, 00:51
Slann-

Scar Vet-

23 Saurus-

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

6 Chameleon Skinks 72

20 Temple Guard-
Standard, Muso 341

2 Slamanders 150
Total- 1447

Now, if I drop the Chameleons down to 5 I can run a second unit of 5 and still have 5pts left over.
I could leave Chames as are, and just drop the Plaque and take a full Lore and be left with 16pts.
Similarly, I can easily swap out the Scar Vet altogether for another unit of 2 Salamanders.

kaintxu
21-06-2010, 03:24
4 salamanders is to much at 1500, it will be overkill not in the sense of cheeseeness but uselessnes.

What do you find so great about skinks? I just can't see it and i would really like to know how they work

Paraelix
21-06-2010, 03:30
Uh... Shooting? Poison? Skirmishers?

Especially with the ability to March and shoot, and that March blocking can be overcome through a Ld test (which is easy using 3D6).

fishofury
21-06-2010, 19:57
Honestly I agree with kaintxu.

Your better off taking "know all the spells" at this level in addition to rumination since your one of the few casters than can spam add magic dice to there spells and casting all 7 spells or running into the chance than you miss one of the spells you really wanted isn't really worth it imo. Also since your going overkill with the TG you should really reconsider cupped hands since if you loose control on any spell during the whole game a strength 10 template will pretty much destroy your entire 20 TG unit. And for 30points the ability to instead drop that template on an enemy wizard most likely hiding in one of his own units. Dno how you can give that up.

Scar vet can make for a tough BSB now plus skink javelin haxs with a 3rd standard in your army would help out a lot. Since pretty much all the missions now require Standards just like 40k move to core units being the only ones that can hold objectives.