PDA

View Full Version : steamtank chesseness

kaintxu
18-06-2010, 14:58
So Steam tanks can only be damaged with magic if the spells have a S values.

Till now we use to use metal lore which will give uf S7 hits against it.

The new metal lore, has no S but wound on a succesfull unmodified armor safe.

Does this mean there are no spells left to harm the chessy tank?

ChaosVC
18-06-2010, 15:02
Gate way comes into mind for now.

Pete_x
18-06-2010, 15:06
the s/t chart has no - in it anymore they've all been replaced with 6s. so even the str 2 crow spell has a chance of wounding the cheese train. even if it's a really small chance

Col_Festus
18-06-2010, 15:14
We were discussing this yesterday. I have a feeling they are going to errata this with the Army Book PDFs but we will see.

kaintxu
18-06-2010, 15:32
We were discussing this yesterday. I have a feeling they are going to errata this with the Army Book PDFs but we will see.

could you link me the topic where it was disccussed please?

Col_Festus
18-06-2010, 15:49
could you link me the topic where it was disccussed please?

Sorry we were discussing it at the local shop.

Novrain
18-06-2010, 16:14
the steam tank has a 1+ armour save, so presumably lore of metal spells would work.

Empire - Ulric
18-06-2010, 17:03
In the Special Rules for the Steam Tank in the Empire Army Book it specifically states that

"The Steam tank is immune to all magic that does not have a strength value"

Basically as it stands now it's completely immune to the new lore of Metal. I'm an Empire player and even I think that's stupid. I'd put money on it being covered in the Army Specific Errata.

Skyros
18-06-2010, 17:09
I'm sure it will be FAQ'ed, but I doubt people are going to be taking the steamtank anymore when shortbows can fire at it in 3 ranks and wound on 6's.

It's a terrible unit that needs be completely reworked. Autowin vs some armies, useless against others. Easily neutralzied by even two wounds, but if you want points for it, you've got to slog through 8 more!

I don't have fun playing with this thing or against it. Bad all round.

kaintxu
18-06-2010, 19:44
I'm sure it will be FAQ'ed, but I doubt people are going to be taking the steamtank anymore when shortbows can fire at it in 3 ranks and wound on 6's.

It's a terrible unit that needs be completely reworked. Autowin vs some armies, useless against others. Easily neutralzied by even two wounds, but if you want points for it, you've got to slog through 8 more!

I don't have fun playing with this thing or against it. Bad all round.

not so much, lets take a horde unit of 50 NG with shortbows, thats 25 shots.

There is no more large target rule, so they hit on 4+, 5+ if long range, 6+ if moved + long range, lets assume 5+ thats 8.3333333 hit, that wound on 6+ so we get 1.38 wounds which get a 1+ save so its actually 0.23333333333, you will need 100 shortbow arrows from goblins to get 1 wound so i dont think they are going to be off just because of that.

King_Pash
18-06-2010, 20:02
What about those WoC abilities and spells that are S1 and allow no armour save? They always wound on 6 and be able to whittle down the tank eventually.

Don Zeko
18-06-2010, 20:18
What about those WoC abilities and spells that are S1 and allow no armour save? They always wound on 6 and be able to whittle down the tank eventually.

"Eventually" is pulling an awful lot of weight in that sentence. The trouble with the new Lore of Metal isn't that nothing can possibly harm the steam tank, it's that it limits the number of feasible ways of putting a wound on it. Previously, cannons, massed bolt throwers, and the lore of metal ate the thing for breakfast, and lots of armies had access to at least one of these things. If it's basically invulnerable to magic, then you have armies like, say, Lizardmen, that can't deal with it without getting into close combat, which is extremely dangerous against a Steam Tank. This is also pretty bad for elves, who pay 100 points for bolt throwers that are only marginally better then 35-point spear chukkas against it.

Stumpy
19-06-2010, 00:35
Is there still an equivilent spell to creeping death? A bunch of S1 hits with no armour does the job. You only need to cause 3 wounds for it to be stuffed.

Paraelix
19-06-2010, 00:42
the s/t chart has no - in it anymore they've all been replaced with 6s. so even the str 2 crow spell has a chance of wounding the cheese train. even if it's a really small chance

Fear the gnoblars and their sharp stuff!

Ender Shadowkin
19-06-2010, 01:01
Is there still an equivilent spell to creeping death? A bunch of S1 hits with no armour does the job. You only need to cause 3 wounds for it to be stuffed.

Right, and on average 18 bow hits will get you the 3 wounds... Couple turns of shooting..anything really (blow pipes, repeaters, etc) the toughness table nerf is a huge problem for the steam tank. use your casting on something else and just shoot it.

I beleive the new warmachine rules fixes the half VP problem, and in a couple of the scenarios the Steam tank won't help you much (particularly if the rest of the army gets wiped out).

destroyerlord
19-06-2010, 01:49
I imagine this will be FAQ'ed. If there is anything in the warhammer world that should make light work of an armoured tank, it should be the Lore of Metal. Imagine being able to swap it's armour save and its toughness though! T1, no armour save? (or 8+ ?).