PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the GW catalogue?

dala_karn
18-06-2010, 17:46
sorry if in wrong place.

the GW catalogue is out now at 12 ($23 est), what do think about it?

my opinion is that its a pointless purchase when i have a PC and can browse their site for free, also 12 is quite expensive for a catalogue thats going to be obsolete in a couple of months after when they bring out new minitures/books. i bought one back in 2004 for free for buying some other stuff but alone it was 4 which isn't much, but when we live in a digital age where almost every person has a pc with broadband, having a catalogue with a price tag over a free, up to date online store really does seem redundant.

Ultimate Life Form
18-06-2010, 17:51
Yes, it is kind of pointless, especially as you have to pay for it. :)

The same could by the way be said for White Dwarf. :shifty:

See a pattern?

Tarliyn
18-06-2010, 17:55
I have the 2003 or 2004 one can't remember which right now and it is awesome. I love looking through that thing. That being said will I buy this new one, well I didn't buy last years, or the years before that, or the years before that, see a pattern.

It may be time to pick up a new one though. I like having a reference point for all the models myself and a bunch of new models have come out that I don't have pics for.

edit: by the way dala your pic is creepy

dragonet111
18-06-2010, 18:49
At that price it's the mother of all the rip off. It's like paying to have access to a commercial:D.

loveless
18-06-2010, 20:40
I'm not going to pay money for the privilege to pay more money.

Besides, if I really want to look, I can go look at the store copy...

Spider-pope
18-06-2010, 20:47
Back in the days when you could order individual bits from Mail Order, i could see the point of the catalogue. I took some pleasure in sitting on the sofa with a cup of tea and plotting out what i needed to order next for various conversions.
These days i really don't see the point of the catalogue at all. Unless you've lost access to the internet it doesnt serve much purpose at all.

Lars Porsenna
18-06-2010, 20:49
my opinion is that its a pointless purchase when i have a PC and can browse their site for free, also 12 is quite expensive for a catalogue thats going to be obsolete in a couple of months after when they bring out new minitures/books.

Exactly.

There is absolutely no point in buying a product that will be obsolete within months (or whenever GW releases it's next batch of stuff). The website is updated reasonably frequently, and free access to it is a deciding feature. Very few companies I can think of still engage in this practice (except Squadron, but even then it's just a sales flier).

Damon.

Lordsaradain
18-06-2010, 21:07
Browsing a webpage is not the same as flipping through an actual book. I like catalouges, although they are abit too pricey imo.

Sir_Glonojad
18-06-2010, 21:07
It's like paying to have access to a commercial:D.
Well, wasn't there an annual festival of commercials organised by a certain Frenchman?

Slot
18-06-2010, 21:30
waste of money unless you don't have the internet.

Llew
18-06-2010, 21:36
I won't pay for catalogues from companies who wish to sell me products. The web does a better job serving this need now a days.

derv
18-06-2010, 21:47
It has more pages than the rule book at a fraction of the price.

Ho hum...

venus_redscar
18-06-2010, 21:59
If it really was a catalog they should just send them out to anyone who has bought something from the site.

Hell, the way White Dwarf works they should just mail it out quarterly.

Lego use to do that when I was a kid after I bought a few mail order only items. I remember flipping through it looking at all the big sets. It made me want their product.

GW seems to be like an old man running an antiques shop. He makes up extreme prices to get people to stop browsing and leave...

EmperorNorton
18-06-2010, 22:06
Lego use to do that when I was a kid after I bought a few mail order only items. I remember flipping through it looking at all the big sets. It made me want their product.

While I never got it in the mail, I remember that I was always eager to get my hands on the new Lego catalogue. I spent hours and hours flipping through it and dream about the toys I was never going to get.

I have to admit that I have bought several GW catalogues in the past, every other year or so, because it's still fun to look at the pictures and dream a bit.
On principle I have to agree, though, that paying for a catalogue is silly.
(And I'm suffering from rather severe buyer's remorse now that I've realized that 100+ pages of the Collector's Edition of the rulebook I preordered are just the most expensive catalogue ever...)

Coggy
19-06-2010, 04:40
i bought the catalogue. i dont play i just paint so its a bit of a reference for myself also.
Things i noticed about the catalogue that i didnt or wouldnt have noticed as easily on the web is how many of the more recent models GW has done that are now direct only. SM librarians and chaplains are all direct only. most of the new empire range direct only. odd.
maybe something going on there. as far as the catalogue is concerned. i miss the old ones you could get bits from, but its nice and ill spend most of the evening looking through it childishly circling the models i want to get like i did back in the nineties when the catalogues where free.
D

geez and most of the new imperial guard is direct only ie commissars and orgyns.

website doesnt show anything being direct only so maybe its a misprint or a bit of foreshadowing

Ramius4
19-06-2010, 04:43
The catalogue used to be great when you could order individual bitz. Now you can't, so it's just as people say; an advertisement.

Lordy
19-06-2010, 14:02
People should stop saying "im not paying for a catalogue when i can view the website" if someone from GW HQ see's that there will be a yearly website fee pop up!

sigur
19-06-2010, 14:14
Not really sure if there's much to talk about really. I mean, it's been the same with the catalogues for years and years and years. Nothing new there.

Fredox
19-06-2010, 14:22
I got it for the reference side of things. At first I wasn't going to get it but 12 it fell into the nice to have and not too expensive bracket for me. With multiple armies across multiple systems keeping a track of what's available can be fun and I like to just flick through catalogues every now and then. flicking through a website is all well and good if you know what your looking for but doesn't come close to flicking through a book and seeing a model for a entirely different game and thinking it would suit your army. I can see why lots of people don't think it's worth the money but personally it was.

Your pale companion
19-06-2010, 14:22
It's like paying to have access to a commercial:D.
this

Message too short

Coggy
20-06-2010, 02:02
im still intrigued by the direct only on most of the lines. i wish one of the major romour mongers would chip in one way or another about it.
seems fishy that most of the models produced in the last 1-3 that are metal are now direct only
commissars
rat snipers
warrior priests
orgyns
almost all the lord choices for empire
all the farseers cept the seer council
moved to direct only
odd the chaos dread isnt direct only.

Stuckinbermuda
20-06-2010, 02:11
When I saw the catalog I wanted it, impulse buy, but in the time it took to mouse over to add it to my cart I had changed my mind. It would be nice if it was thrown in with any orders over a certain amount, if I order $200 worth of gear it would be nice to have it thrown in the box, kinda like the old days...

leadlair
20-06-2010, 02:12
When they still had bits it was really cool because you could easily look through the catalogue and see what bits you wanted. Now I don't really see the point.

Lord_Squinty
20-06-2010, 02:18
the GW catalogue is out now at 12 ($23 est), what do think about it?

I think I could buy 1 necromancer foot and mounted for 12... oh, wait..
:eek::shifty::wtf:

(or, for the multi game gamers TM)

5 whole SPEZZZ MAREEENS"!

Oh, Hi Malifaux.....

Denny_Crane
20-06-2010, 02:19
You have to buy it. Why would anyone ever do this?

Lord_Squinty
20-06-2010, 02:34
Added - ITS A CATALOGUE!
Who pays for a catalogue???
Oh, wait - WD subscribers.... :rolleyes:

BlutGeist
20-06-2010, 05:27
It was a great tool in the days of bitz order, however nowadays as a half-baked bathroom read it belongs on the toilet, sparsely read, and only when you have nothing better to do.

Here's to hoping one day bitz order will be great again.