PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite rule of the 8th edition!

Orodreth
18-06-2010, 18:30
There are so many threads around about the 8th edition, and most of them seem to be criticisms or complaints. I'm not saying that's bad - criticism, discussion etc. are all good, and there is no way everyone will be happy with everything.

So I thought it might be fun if everyone could say which one confirmed rule, in the 8th edition, they are most happy with (or, I guess, potentially most happy with)!

Ultimate Life Form
18-06-2010, 18:35
The 'stepping up', 'all models strike back' or 'casualties are removed from the back' rule or whatever you fancy to call it, coupled with 'stubborn' and fight in two ranks.

Finally there will be actual fighting occuring in the game instead of 'I do no wounds, you do no wounds, I win by 1, outnumber/fear, you autobreak and I run you down thanks for play'n'.

Hrolfr Varini
18-06-2010, 18:35
Volley Fire

dragonet111
18-06-2010, 18:41
The 'stepping up', 'all models strike back' or 'casualties are removed from the back' rule or whatever you fancy to call it, coupled with 'stubborn' and fight in two ranks.

Finally there will be actual fighting occuring in the game instead of 'I do no wounds, you do no wounds, I win by 1, outnumber/fear, you autobreak and I run you down thanks for play'n'.

Seconded, I think it will make warhammer, bloodhammer:D

ChaosVC
18-06-2010, 18:48
Don't know, need play testing and reviews on power gamers lists.

WarmbloodedLizard
18-06-2010, 18:49
I actually hate the new steadfast/stubborn rule. (and the all-seeing non-BS Warmachines)

What I like, is the way power and dispel dice are determined + how spells are cast.

(I dislike most of the new spells, the miscast table, and the restrictions of a spell to one wizard)

LevDaddy
18-06-2010, 18:53
I like the new fear mechanics. Rolling for fear/terror every turn and no more ridiculous auto-breaking with outnumber. Nice work GW!

Skyros
18-06-2010, 18:59
Oh my.

Stepping up/remove casualties from back
fighting in 2 ranks
Horde fighting in 3 ranks
Stubborn if more ranks

Are all great, and among my favorites. There are lots more I think are good but those really revitalize the core infantry block (that wasn't looking so good in a 7th ed world)

Agnar the Howler
18-06-2010, 19:05
Not the rules so much as the spells, finally Skink Priests will be good for more than just going "Oh joy, I rolled Portent of Far again, and now any unit BUT the one I cast it on will roll bucketloads of 1s" and we actually have a special character worth using, in the form of Tetto'Eko and his "on a 3+ on 2D6 all the spells I cast are Irresitible on all doubles, I know all the Lore of Heavens spells, I get to re-dploy D3 of my units after everyone has deployed and I can re-roll to see whether the Comet comes down each turn" rules.

Oh yeah, and the other lores are cool too... :shifty:

Tarliyn
18-06-2010, 19:17
I like fight in 2 ranks and of the big changes thats pretty much it : /

but I like fight in 2 ranks a lot, lol

TroyJPerez
18-06-2010, 19:19
BSB allowing you to reroll ALL LEADERSHIP TESTS! lol

Witchblade
18-06-2010, 19:36
New fear/terror mechanics are nice.

The magic system seems great, but I'll need some experience with it to say anything conclusive.

The magic item section looks like a lot of fun as well.

Dare I say it... no more guessing ranges for warmachines! This will greatly speed up the game and guessing wasn't a tactical skill anyway.
Edit: I actually like all the new warmachine rules, except probably TLoS.

Stomp is fluffy and often needed, especially combined with fighting/shooting in 2 ranks.

willowdark
18-06-2010, 19:40
I'm really happy about magic, but I'm anxious to see the Errata. I think that the book Lores should be brought in line with the core ones. Non of them have 7 spells, except for those that come with a free spell which isn't the same thing, and with scaled up versions and the general characteristic of effects Book Lores don't look anything like the ones in the new core rules.

I wonder if they'll go far enough to make the book lores look like the new core ones in the Errata.

Darkangeldentist
18-06-2010, 19:45
Without hesitation the new fear and terror rules!

Dokushin
18-06-2010, 20:58
I'm really happy about magic, but I'm anxious to see the Errata. I think that the book Lores should be brought in line with the core ones. Non of them have 7 spells, except for those that come with a free spell which isn't the same thing, and with scaled up versions and the general characteristic of effects Book Lores don't look anything like the ones in the new core rules.

I wonder if they'll go far enough to make the book lores look like the new core ones in the Errata.

As an army with supposedly top-level magic casters that's always had to cast out of the BRB and never had a unique lore, my sympathy for Army book lores feeling outclassed (for once) is limited. :D

Lordsaradain
18-06-2010, 21:05
All shooting is in 2 ranks, and archers can shoot with even more ranks, is proably my favorite change atm. It wont really benefit me as my main army is WoC, but it makes alot of sense. :)

minionboy
18-06-2010, 21:57
Models with flaming attacks causing fear in cavalry, warbeasts and chariots!

It's just cool.

TheSanityAssassin
18-06-2010, 22:02
I very much like the Stepping Up, even as a High Elf player. I think actually seeing some COMBAT happen in combats will be nice. Too many guys around here just stuck to 40k because "no ever killed anything, just ran it down"

w3rm
18-06-2010, 22:06
Stepping up, Fighting in 2 ranks and Magic are my favorites.

madden
18-06-2010, 22:06
Stepping up my slayers can now fight instead of dying slowly.

Daredevil
18-06-2010, 22:21
Has to be the Battle Standard Bearer now granting a re-roll to all Leadership tests.

Least favorite would be the fact that a Battle Standard Bearer now dies when it is involved in a failed breaktest. Even if you manage to outrun your opponent.

Ronin_eX
18-06-2010, 22:43
I actually have to say I like the new charge rules quite a bit. Now manoeuvrability and overall speed matter but even slow armies can take a risk and get the drop on a faster foe.

They've taken the rather certain mechanic of a hard-coded charge and changed it into a risk vs. reward mechanic. Most importantly it fixes one of the biggest problems with Dwarfs without getting rid of their iconic M3 which is something I wasn't really expecting to happen.

So no longer can fast foes sit out of reach of the enemy with absolute certainty and now fast forces can properly bait opponents instead of presenting them with an obvious trap. This means that a little extra thought is injected into manoeuvring. A fast force can set up at a distance of M+9" from the enemy and see if they take the bait and fail their charge putting them in prime range for a charge next turn by multiple units. And at the same time slower forces can risk an early charge possibly getting a charge off on a faster foe.

The slower moving armies are no longer automatically at a disadvantage when determining who gets to dictate what happens. And with more focus on objectives choosing when and where you will fight carries more weight than a simple charge bonus.

And fast armies still have advantages outside of combat when it comes to getting in position but their dominance on choosing exactly when engagements take place has been nerfed which allows all armies in the game a shot at having some fun in the movement phase. And in a game where a lot is won and lost in the movement phase this is a big plus.

Just goes to show you that more random doesn't always mean less depth of play. Stepping up is also a firm runner up for allowing greater participation for armies with low I which is a plus as well.

Alltaken
18-06-2010, 23:31
New magic system! The amazing lores and killer miscast table rock my boat. I mean magic is now what its supposed to be, potentialy devastaing, potentially a russian rulet

UberBeast
18-06-2010, 23:49
My favorite rule is the "You don't need brains to play" rule. Now that there are no negative consequenses to any decision a player can make you can basically play anyone and have a challenging game. That's not a complaint, it's actually my favorite thing about the new edition. It used to be that I facerolled all over everyone in my area, now they actually have a chance. Mind you, I feel like in 8th edition I'm just rolling dice and seeing how the game randomly turns out, but that's still kind of fun.

Invid
18-06-2010, 23:52
My favorite rule is the "You don't need brains to play" rule. Now that there are no negative consequenses to any decision a player can make you can basically play anyone and have a challenging game. That's not a complaint, it's actually my favorite thing about the new edition. It used to be that I facerolled all over everyone in my area, now they actually have a chance. Mind you, I feel like in 8th edition I'm just rolling dice and seeing how the game randomly turns out, but that's still kind of fun.

LoL WTF? Have a fan club we can all join? :p Yes I read your whole post.

I am excited abotu the new combat options. Playing Ogres I reserve opinions until the FAQ drops! ;)

Slyphor
19-06-2010, 00:32
I love the fact that they "fixed" the resolution that comes after combat (not combat res). I think it's critical that if you have been able to see off one enemy, but don't want to chase them, you can manoeuvre to take a new charge in the front instead of being snuck up on from behind. I hate winning a combat only to find that my best unit is now totally out of position and won't charge for at least another two turns.

The more I think about it, the more interested I am in seeing how "random charge" + "Initiative attack order" will affect things. I'm not saying I support it, but the more I think about it, the more faith I have that it could help the game.

I also agree with UberBeast. I don't have the luxury of having a shrine built to my abilities, but if one player knows the difference between a 14" and a 16" charge range and one player doesn't, the slight random element could even things up nicely between two such players.

txamil
19-06-2010, 02:41
I'm really excited by the 8th Ed changes.

I don't know if it will be balanced, and maybe I don't care if lists need to be 'retired'. Because it's going to be fun.

Ramius4
19-06-2010, 02:48
Least favorite would be the fact that a Battle Standard Bearer now dies when it is involved in a failed breaktest. Even if you manage to outrun your opponent.

That's the same as now actually... He doesn't 'die', but loses the standard.

UberBeast
19-06-2010, 05:08
I also have to say that I'm glad they brough in "volley fire" from WAB. It's driven me nearly crazy for over 12 years that bows couldn't fire in a more realistic fashion.

This single rule makes up for a lot of things I'm still on the fence about.

Dorack
20-06-2010, 09:41
Step up and random charges, best rules change IMHO.

LKHERO
20-06-2010, 09:45
Step up and random charges, best rules change IMHO.

Really? I think that's the exact opposite of how I feel.

My favorite things about 8th is basically anything that speeds up gameplay

bigG
20-06-2010, 09:55
Volley Fire
wooh and indeed hooh, definitely up there with the whole supporting attacks and two ranks of missile troops firing, my empire are getting dusted of for the first time in months

CaptScott
20-06-2010, 09:55
So no longer can fast foes sit out of reach of the enemy with absolute certainty ...

I hadn't thought of that. Great point!

At a recent tourney I ended up with a mexican stand-off on the left flank. We both stood just out of charge range and basically nothing happened on that flank for the entire game. Now with random charge distances, combined with initiative order even when charging, there won't be any hesitation in getting into combat.

My overall favourite rule (as an Empire player) is the BSB allowing re-roll of all psych tests (no longer do I have to pay 100 points for the imperial banner - yay!)

Latro_
20-06-2010, 18:40
Anyone read all the special rules for woods and hills etc... I like all that the most, adds a real fantasy vibe to the game.

Ronin_eX
20-06-2010, 19:31
I hadn't thought of that. Great point!

At a recent tourney I ended up with a mexican stand-off on the left flank. We both stood just out of charge range and basically nothing happened on that flank for the entire game. Now with random charge distances, combined with initiative order even when charging, there won't be any hesitation in getting into combat.

My overall favourite rule (as an Empire player) is the BSB allowing re-roll of all psych tests (no longer do I have to pay 100 points for the imperial banner - yay!)

Yeah, that's what I came to realize which is funny because I originally balked at random charges when I heard the rumours. But it is a singular change that has opened up entire realms of tactical possibility for my once hyper-static dwarfs.

Now all those people complaining about gun lines can breathe a sigh of relief because dwarfs will be taking blocks of close combat troops again in order to take what advantage they can of their new found manoeuvrability. Now low speed wont lock players out of a vitally important phase of the game while their opponent dictates what happens when because his guys have a higher value in a single stat.

High move troops still have obvious advantages of course like faster marches means they can get set up where they want first which gives them a more limited version of the tempo control they had in previous editions and having a more advantageous threat range on the charge allowing them to actually bait players by sitting an inch out of the sweet spot for lower move troops.

Now high movement races can actually be sneaky with movement rather than just dominating it because their little men have a higher stat. The former takes creativity, planning, risk analysis and just a wee bit of psychology. The latter takes having a higher move stat and a will to grind the game to a halt unless conditions are perfectly in your favour (oh and the ability to guess distances better than the other guy I suppose ;)).

Daredevil
20-06-2010, 19:43
That's the same as now actually... He doesn't 'die', but loses the standard.
How is that not a major difference?

In 7th a BSB could break from combat but rally next turn. Sure, the BSB would have lost the banner and 100 points would have been granted to your opponent but in 8th he also claims the 200 point model.

It's a major change.

kylek2235
20-06-2010, 20:12
Models with flaming attacks causing fear in cavalry, warbeasts and chariots!

It's just cool.

Seconded. That's just really cool. The clear classifications for each unit also. Hope GW sticks with them this time

Latro_
20-06-2010, 20:28
Seconded. That's just really cool. The clear classifications for each unit also. Hope GW sticks with them this time

esp since there is a common magic banner than makes ye attacks flaming for under 15pts.

Think it's main use will be against monsterous infantry to negate having to take fear tests againt them

Daredevil
20-06-2010, 20:32
Especially since there is a common magic banner than makes ye attacks flaming for under 15pts.

Dwarves have a 5 point Rune causing the bearer to cause Flaming attacks. It will probably become a standard on all Dwarven heroes.

Ramius4
20-06-2010, 20:36
Is the section on 'fast dice rolling' still in there? :p

How is that not a major difference?

In 7th a BSB could break from combat but rally next turn. Sure, the BSB would have lost the banner and 100 points would have been granted to your opponent but in 8th he also claims the 200 point model.

It's a major change.

I wasn't saying that. I was going off the assumption that the poster had said 'die' when he meant 'the banner is captured' (as in 7th).

Anyways, I've been hearing this come up from different people, so I'm assuming I was wrong and a BSB actually does die?

Latro_
20-06-2010, 20:38
Dwarves have a 5 point Rune causing the bearer to cause Flaming attacks. It will probably become a standard on all Dwarven heroes.

sick, will help out against the increased number of trolls folks'll be taking now too.

Maoriboy007
20-06-2010, 20:43
One dispel scroll per army: people complaining about invocation and then pulling out a scroll everytime I threw more than 2 dice really p!$$&d me off.

Daredevil
20-06-2010, 20:49
One dispel scroll per army, people complaining about invocation and then pulling out a scroll everytime I threw more than 2 dice really p!$$&d me off.
Please do not pretend that the ability to endlessly casting IoNH wasn't OP. Thank you.

thallos
20-06-2010, 21:52
Transformation of Kadon! Turn my Bray-Shaman into a Dragon? Yes sir!

Maoriboy007
20-06-2010, 22:38
Please do not pretend that the ability to endlessly casting IoNH wasn't OP. Thank you.

Its not pretending when someone would otherwise negate my entire magic phase and a 400 points of magic with a 25 point piece of paper.
I love casting big spells, but if your opponant overloads on scrolls in addition to RoH and the like, they deserve all the spam they get.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with casting invocation multiple times if done in moderation, especially considering VC are pretty vulnerable without it.
In a trial game with no scrolls and no infernal puppet I cast invocation less times than my opponant cast flickering fire, it was great.

Chadjabdoul
20-06-2010, 22:47
Transformation of Kadon! Turn my Bray-Shaman into a Dragon? Yes sir!

Hey, I remember that spell from 4th... hello old friend...

For me its lovely percentages in favour of horrible slots

Seth the Dark
20-06-2010, 23:04
The change to percentages is my favorite but I also like the increase in magic items that each army receives.

Temakador
20-06-2010, 23:19
the changes to magic, its way more destructive and risky but allso since i mainly play dwarfs the fact a lvl 4 mage goes "i will casts a 5+, i get 4+ on the roll because im lvl 4 so ill roll one dice at it, a 2.....the spell fails and they cant do any more spells that turn lol can't wait to see the face on people when that happens

Sygerrik
21-06-2010, 00:06
Measuring charge distance and simply deciding "do they make it yes/no" after rolling. Takes away the insane moving and wheeling and opponent-watching and failing charges by a 1/4" you might have made had you fudged a wheel. The movement phase was needlessly complicated in 7th.

VonUber
21-06-2010, 01:35
The new shooting rules. There awsome :)

Coldblood666
21-06-2010, 01:54
Stepping up my slayers can now fight instead of dying slowly.

lol With multiple ranks fighting now Slayers are going to die faster then ever.

Coldblood666
21-06-2010, 01:57
Measuring charge distance and simply deciding "do they make it yes/no" after rolling. Takes away the insane moving and wheeling and opponent-watching and failing charges by a 1/4" you might have made had you fudged a wheel. The movement phase was needlessly complicated in 7th.

I agree. I despised how long it took for some players to move their armies. It was too precise of a system to ever be precise with and consenquently alot of players abused the movement rules.

Dokushin
21-06-2010, 21:15
Its not pretending when someone would otherwise negate my entire magic phase and a 400 points of magic with a 25 point piece of paper.
I love casting big spells, but if your opponant overloads on scrolls in addition to RoH and the like, they deserve all the spam they get.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with casting invocation multiple times if done in moderation, especially considering VC are pretty vulnerable without it.
In a trial game with no scrolls and no infernal puppet I cast invocation less times than my opponant cast flickering fire, it was great.

"entire magic phase and a 400 points of magic" = "one spell"?

I do agree that RoH is on the level of Invo spam.

Nocculum
21-06-2010, 21:30
Fancy an undead army constantly raising the dead...it's fluff sacrilage I tell yo- /end sarcasm.

Favourite rule so far appears to be the miscasts, coupled with Volley Fire and the 'scout' move for Fast Cavalry.

Hiding Wild Riders in woods halfway across the board is going to be my staple move for many years to come :D

Maoriboy007
22-06-2010, 01:53
"entire magic phase and a 400 points of magic" = "one spell"?

I do agree that RoH is on the level of Invo spam.

My level 3 VC lord costs upwards of 400 points for a total of 5 powerdice including the base.
I'd need his maximum casting power (4 Dice) to reasonably cast a spell like wind of undeath of Summon horde.
Assuming I manage to cast it without running into RoH , Becalming or a Miscast (several big uncertainty factors going against the caster just to start with) all my opponant does is say " I wipe my **** weeth thees beet of paper an' wave eet at yoo"
Leaving me with one dice and my opponant with all of his dispel dice and any other magical defence he may have to handle any other magic I may or may not have.
In the light of that, Invo spam is perfectly fine.

BTW the new redirecting and march blocking rules are awesome too.