PDA

View Full Version : Luckiest Game Ever!

senorcardgage
18-06-2010, 20:43
Hey guys,

I had an unbelievable game against Malorian (from this forum) today. He outflanked with 28 hormogaunts and 16 genestealers, assaulting my CSM unit of 10 men with las cannon and plasma gun and my three obliterators at the same time.

Being that my guys were in cover, we struck first and killed 2 genestealers and 3 hormogaunts. In return, the two squads combined killed only 5 marines!! The obliterators then swung back and killed three, and since he was out of synapse range, both units tested and had to run away, getting run down! Absolutely unbelievable.

Later in the same game, my unit of 10 chosen with Icon of Khorne and 2 power weapons was assaulted by a Mawloc. The mawloc wiffed all of it's attacks and I did three wounds back. In my turn, my two guys with power weapons did three wounds to the mawloc, needing sixes to wound! The mawloc then swung back and killed two guys. The chosen then proceeded to kill a 28 man hormogaunt squad and finally fell in combat to a unit of 6 warriors, killing all but one.

I just had to brag about my ridiculous luck :p

Lordsaradain
18-06-2010, 21:20
To quote someone famous (Livy): "To a good general luck is important."

TheSanityAssassin
18-06-2010, 21:27
If you want some absurd luck, check out the last game in my Word Bearer bat-reps.

My Terminator Champion managed 4 of 5 hits on the Swarmlord, despite needing 5's, and then after failing to wound the first time with his Claws, popped up 4 6's on the re-roll. After 4 botched saves, down tumbled a very large Tyranid.

The worst that's happened against me was actually back in 4th ed, when a Jetbike Autarch and a squad of 4 Shining spears assault 5 guardsmen on an objective at the end of the game. I killed NONE, and he killed a spear back...I broke (got away but it was the last turn). By the time the objective and the points for his unit were factored in it was a 600 point swing, turning a massacre for me into a minor for him, and costing me a large tournament.

LonelyPath
18-06-2010, 22:43
Without doubt one of my luckiest moments was a lone GK Justicar holding his own against an entire flank of Khornate daemons, Bloodletters were all over him and I was glad to have given him that refractor field since I managed to make every 5++ save I was called to roll. Elsewhere a GK Dreadnought took out a Bloodthirster and a Herald of Khorne in CC. That Dread's gone on to be a real hero on the table many times (heck, he was assaulted by 3 Soul Grinders once and managed to come away with only a few scratches, lol).

On the flip side, one of my least lucky was assaulting a unit o 20 grots with 10 DA Company Veterans (loaded up for CC) accompanied by a Interrogator Chaplain. I missed with every attack, re-rolled and still managed to hit onto 3 or 4 times, which I then failed to wound. In return the plucky tiny greenskins seemed unable to miss or wound me, I then failed 5 saves. 5 more saving throws later (which I also managed to fail) I was down to 3 models against the Grots, who were reinforced more Grots, which finished me off. To add insult to injury, Ork shooting that turn also managed to destroy the weapons and immobilise the LCR the vets had been cruising about in, the Ork player (liking this sort of thing) placed a converted Mek model on it claiming that he'd leapt onto it to start with the kustomizashuns... In case you were wondering what happened to the rest of my army, I think I managed to kill 5 orks models in total over the course of the entire game :(

Bestaltan
18-06-2010, 23:58
Actually, I think the OP just proved how potentially awful the Tyranid codex is.......

Free Spirit
19-06-2010, 00:46
I got a great game a few weeks ago. Arjac Rockfist with his 4 termie buddies got shot at after a droppod deepstrike. From memory: 19 hellgun shots, 4 melta shots, 4 plasma shots, 3 autocannon shots, 3 heavy flamers, a whole bunch of lasguns.

2 died. Arjac then went on to blow up the Demolisher, and kill a huge number of guardsmen in CC (after surviving another hilarious turn of shooting).

Same game where he died in the fifth turn against 2 lasgun shots.

Same game where a Valkyrie shot his full payload (2 HB's, multilaser, 2 x missile pod and something else i believe) twice at Logan Grimnar and his squad. The whole squad lived through the entire game.

Same game where 10 lasgun guard shot at 4 terminators and a rune priest, 3 wounds, 3 1's, 3 dead.

Sometimes... sometimes... the dice do weird things. It's like when you roll a D6 and it turns up a 7.

TheSanityAssassin
19-06-2010, 01:48
Actually wait. Better "Best moment ever"

A single Summoned Daemon held a squad of Sanguinary guard through 5 combat phases.

Bestaltan
19-06-2010, 02:08
Actually, my biggest stroke of luck in recent memory came Saturday at the Ard Boyz regionals (and in fact is the only reason I tied for third).

Did a multiple charge with my two nob squads and hammered everybody but Pedro Kantor (who literally made 9 straight iron halo saves against power klaws, then proceeded to win the combat with four straight hits and kills). So I'm thinking "Great, just my luck. I actually lose combat by 4. I'm hosed with both nob squads." First squad.....Yup, failed leadership test.

Second squad.....Snake eyes. In addition, them passing meant that they didn't get shot, they blocked shooting at the other nob squad, and they popped Pedro easily enough next round.

Malorian
19-06-2010, 06:39
Later in the same game, my unit of 10 chosen with Icon of Khorne and 2 power weapons was assaulted by a Mawloc. The mawloc wiffed all of it's attacks and I did three wounds back. In my turn, my two guys with power weapons did three wounds to the mawloc, needing sixes to wound! The mawloc then swung back and killed two guys. The chosen then proceeded to kill a 28 man hormogaunt squad and finally fell in combat to a unit of 6 warriors, killing all but one.

It would also be said that the reason that the mawloc charged in alone is 1) it scattered off when it popped up (charging in the next turn) and the warriors that were suppose to support him rolled double 1s for difficult terrain test... *sigh*

Also wasn't mentioned that the two times my hive tyrant got to use a psychic power that he rolled an 11 both times ; )

But whatever, I play the army because I think it looks cool :D

Splata
19-06-2010, 14:33
Not so recently I played a game with my DE and my archon with his wonderful shadowfield charged the enemy Tau commander suit, took a couple too many drugs and suffered a wound but wiped them out a bit too quickly.
This left him stranded in the middle of an army of 15 kroot, 10 firewarriors and a support squad of drones.
The kroot moved closer then the whole lot of them took aim. 20 odd saves later I'm still standing and the kroot assault, at which point I take another wound from drugs but beat them down with a stick.
My turn, I charge the firewarriors taking them out to a man. (ok, that wasn't such a feat.) Leaving me out in the open again.
Drones all fire. Everything pings off of my shield.
I charge the drones, killing all but 2 of them.
They stand tall. Taking the combat into the next round.
My archon gets ready to destroy them and... everything went black. He only took 2 drugs and crumpled into a little ball shivering and blabbering maddeningly while nothing could get through that impenetrable shield....

The field saved about 40 hits in a row in that game.

Bunnahabhain
19-06-2010, 14:38
A recent game.

Every single scatter dice came up as a hit. Every single one. And the manticores averaged about 2.7 blasts a turn each... When Guard shooting rolls hot, you really do not wish to be on the wrong end of it.