PDA

View Full Version : Common Goblins in 8th

antin3
19-06-2010, 00:28
I have some old common goblins laying around and as I like the models quite a bit I thought I may start putting them together. I have always wanted to build a common goblin army and I am not a WAAC player by any stretch but I would like them to stand a chance. So what do you more experienced generals think.

CaliforniaGamer
19-06-2010, 00:35
I have some old common goblins laying around and as I like the models quite a bit I thought I may start putting them together. I have always wanted to build a common goblin army and I am not a WAAC player by any stretch but I would like them to stand a chance. So what do you more experienced generals think.

they will be good with 50+ goblin units being great anvil tarpits, but you still have to consider what your hammer unit will be, ie- the unit which dishes out the pain to finish opponents off.

Lots of goblins including volley firing archers+3 rock lobbas would be a good base for army though.

And remember, units that move in the compulsory portion of the movement phase like snotling pump wagons and hoppers count as charging and the enemy can only stand as a charge reaction (ie-they cant flee or stand and shoot against you=very good).

ghostline
19-06-2010, 05:00
I think they will be very viable. Take Common Goblins with Hand Weapon and Shield, and you will have a very good tarpit unit.

Ramius4
19-06-2010, 05:04

I say purchase massive units of them to pin the enemy in place.

Then use small units of Night Goblins that follow behind to 'leapfrog' fanatics into combat and through the enemy:shifty:

Which I'm only half joking about. I've done this in 7th and it worked great. The idea is that the fanatic rules make you stop 8" away from the enemy and release them right? Well over open ground this would require you to roll 8" on two dice to hit the enemy. But...

If you have a unit of gobbos move into contact with that enemy, and just aim for the back of your own unit you can hit every time.

Sure you hit your own guys but what do you really care? They're only goblins!

UberBeast
19-06-2010, 05:05
My bet would be that you should expect new goblin models when the next O&G book comes out.

Silk
19-06-2010, 08:50
Yes but the Question is will u like the new Goblin models? i mean if they will look like the nem n8gobbos then i dint know -.-

Orcboy_Phil
19-06-2010, 09:17
Really the only viable Goblin build your looking at is 6 Bolt throwers and 3 Rock lobbas. This will hurt but will just be boring for you and opponent in the long run. You need Orcs in an Orc and Goblin army to function properly. Unless you go Night Goblins, then you have Fanatics and Squigs to bring the pain.

Crovax20
19-06-2010, 12:18
Really the only viable Goblin build your looking at is 6 Bolt throwers and 3 Rock lobbas. This will hurt but will just be boring for you and opponent in the long run. You need Orcs in an Orc and Goblin army to function properly. Unless you go Night Goblins, then you have Fanatics and Squigs to bring the pain.

I'm afraid that squigs won't cut it in 8th edition, their low initiative and no armor saves will really hamper them. Squig hoppers have a max unit size of 10, are you afraid of 10 no armor save squig hoppers when you throw 20 attacks at them? Even a flank charge with them won't do too much and is hard to do with compulsary movement.

theorox
19-06-2010, 12:24
Even a flank charge with them won't do too much and is hard to do with compulsary movement.

It's easier with compulsury movement. they can flankcharge while being in th front arc.

Arguably.

Theo

antin3
19-06-2010, 14:24
I would like to see some new common goblin models. The new Skaven look great so I am hoping for something along those lines for goblins...
I will put together what I have now and see what I can do. I will probably wait until the new book comes out, whenever that may be, to do anything serious. Soudns like will need a lot of the little bugges though, which is great!

Axebearer
19-06-2010, 14:58
I just played a game with my friend where he brought 40 goblins 10 across with spears.He also gave them a banner that gave them poison attacks.

So he had 4 ranks attacking with poison attacks which did some damage to my dwarfs. They held against my great weapons with their stubborn.

rtunian
20-06-2010, 12:18
You need Orcs in an Orc and Goblin army to function properly.

this is strictly false.

Anton
20-06-2010, 12:41
Now that we aren't limited in core/special/rare in the same way, how about taking loads of small Squig Herds? You can get quite a lot of little exploding units. :)

Razhem
20-06-2010, 12:49
Common goblin units will be decent enough versus rank and file, but will fail miserably against elite units that can take a punch and are horrible anvils in those situations since they die in droves and give combat resolution to the unit fighting. Stubborn isn't too stellar with leadership 6 either.

Korraz
20-06-2010, 13:08
Night Goblins will still be superior, because of nets and Fanatics.

rtunian
20-06-2010, 13:59
Now that we aren't limited in core/special/rare in the same way, how about taking loads of small Squig Herds? You can get quite a lot of little exploding units. :)

unless you field a 3k+ army (grand army), you cannot field more than 3 of the same special choice. so 3 squig herds max under 3k, and up to 6 squig herds max at 3k+. with the expected increase in shooting, i think that small squig herds are much more of a liability than before (since all shots are randomized between squigs and gobs).

imo, all squig units (not squig chars) are going in the box until the next o&g book comes out, presuming that their stats are adjusted back into the realm of viability. edit: well, actually, squigs might still be good against the low i monsters out there...

Odin
20-06-2010, 14:08
Lots of Goblins as anvil units, some artillery and a few 6-strong units of trolls... should do the trick.

Goblin archers quite tempting now. Depending on the exact wording of the salvo fire rule you could have a unit of 50 with short bows, in ranks of 10, and fire around 35 shots per turn, as well as being stubborn against anyone with fewer ranks than you. Fighting in 3 ranks in close combat as well.