PDA

View Full Version : tactical box?

deacon52
19-06-2010, 01:23
i havent bought a tatical box of marines for a while, and have checked out the gw website. but it doesnt say or show what upgrades it contains for the seargeant. my question is, does it have a power weapon and powerfist included as well as all the assault weapon varients(meltagun, flamer etc)

cheers

LonelyPath
19-06-2010, 01:25
No, no power weapons that I remember, just plasma pistols and chainswords.

Zurken
19-06-2010, 01:34
It got Flamer, Melta gun, Plasma Gun, 2 Plasma Pistols, 2 Bolt Pistols, 2 Chainswords and a Missile Launcher. The Assault Marine box got 2 Power Weapons and a fist, that's the main source of Special close combat weapons for marines I belive (atleast if you play vanilla)

Xyrex
19-06-2010, 01:37
I thought it had a powerfist?

fluffymcfluff
19-06-2010, 01:39
I was dissapointed as well not to see any power weapons for the tactical squad.

deacon52
19-06-2010, 01:52
bugger. i wanted to buy a couple of boxes of taticals, so i could also have the missile launchers for my long fangs. as well as the powerfists/power weapons for my wolfgaurd. space wolves dont have the missile launchers. does the dark angels box come with a missile launcher or plasma cannon.

it would be nice if they put out a box set that included all the possible upgrades for a unit. or am i asking a little to much. devestators get the powerfist/power weapon dont they:wtf:. but still only one missile launcher.:cries:

Mini77
19-06-2010, 02:54
IIRC the Dark Angels box comes with the same upgrade sprue as the Tactical box (so basicaly missile launcher, meltagun, flamer etc), but does also include power fist and power weapons.

Only way to get a plastic plasma cannon is in the Devastator box I think. There's two in there, along with a power fist.

deacon52
19-06-2010, 08:13
thanks mini77, looks like dark angels box is the way to go

LonelyPath
19-06-2010, 14:08
I find the DA Vets box to be a little expensive (though it does have great robed bodies and all those power weapons, etc.) these days when you compare it to the Chapter Upgrade which has 10 marines for 3 less (but no tactical option frame or bases). If you just need the missile launcher and a powerfist and so forth, go to bits sites and get them there, it'll save you buying an entire box for a few components.

Grand Master Raziel
19-06-2010, 14:56
Tactical Squad: no CCW upgrades for the sergeant
Assault Squad: power fist, 2x power weapons
Devastator Squad: power fist
DA Veteran Squad: power fist, power sword, power maul, plus some Terminator bitz
SM Commander: power fist, power sword, single L-claw, combi-melta, combi-plasma, storm bolter, plasma pistol

I haven't personally seen the sprue, but I believe the new BA Death Company box includes at least one or two plastic thunder hammers. Might be worth looking into!

It's so odd...no PF in the Tac Squad, but a PF in the Dev Squad? How does that make sense?

Sandlemad
19-06-2010, 15:11
It's so odd...no PF in the Tac Squad, but a PF in the Dev Squad? How does that make sense?

Dev sergeants have a big need to point and a need big fingers.

Flying Toaster
19-06-2010, 16:40
Ermmm, 22.50 per box now from GW? Please tell me you are at least going to buy from an independant stockist? Please?

I hurts my head to think that anyone actually buys models from GW anymore...

Conspyre
19-06-2010, 18:21
I find that picking up an extra Commander box set tends to fill the need for special weapons beyond what comes in the tactical boxes, but your mileage may vary.

Also, if you can get ahold of the old Grey Hunters box, those had at least one each of Power Fist and Power Weapon. They lacked flamers and plasma guns, but they were also the only place to get plastic meltaguns for a long time.

Zurken
19-06-2010, 21:34
The BA Death Company box contains 1 Fist, 1 Power Sword and 1 Thunder Hammer (held with both hands). I belive the SW box has around the same amount of close combat weapons, if not more.

Stuckinbermuda
19-06-2010, 22:49
I solved the issue with the Tactical box not having the appropriate upgrades I needed by buying the Commander box, but if GW do anything I wish it was to put all unit option in their appropriate boxes...

I'm not impressed with the new tactical box but it is more because of the new plastic and that the sculpts seem kinda rounded off to me compared to the old sets I used to get when I played in 3rd ed. I used the tactical marines to add variety to the two squads I had to build out of AoBR sets, which are also could use a few upgrades on their sprues.

Building a new army from scratch I've had to mix and match a lot of kits to get the build I'm trying for so I'm lucky in that I purchased the whole army at one time and had the options available but I still had to raid my old bits box and trade with a friend for meltas and such.

Honestly I would feel sorry for someone just starting out in the hobby trying to build their first two troop from just the tactical boxes, no way they could build whatever tactical loadout they wanted which is just wrong.

deacon52
20-06-2010, 00:49
the space wolves box has heaps, powerfists, thunderhammers, lightning claws and pwer weapons. but dont have meltaguns or missile launchers. i may just have to buy a space wolves box set and a few tactical boxes to get what i need. i should just give GW my account details and tell them to go crazy. things we do for love aye. but my bits box will look good.